The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:35 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 am If wifey isn't able to ride bikes on Sunday, anyone interested in heading out for some exploration?
You know it.

My tires will be here tomorrow. :megusta:
:megusta:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Looking up places online. Might head out to a place called Corral Canyon this weekend. Just asked my buddy who bought the Sierra if he wants to come with me, but it sounds like full-size trucks aren't recommended for some of the trails out there.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:16 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:47 pm Looking up places online. Might head out to a place called Corral Canyon this weekend. Just asked my buddy who bought the Sierra if he wants to come with me, but it sounds like full-size trucks aren't recommended for some of the trails out there.
Yeah... modern fullsizers are not recommended for any trails really.
Yeah.. he'll probably still try to come.. he's definitely on the 'Murica "bigger is better" train. I'll warn him and send him links to the areas I was looking at going to.. :popcorn:
SAWCE

Do you guys air down when you hit the trail and then fill up with a compressor when you're leaving?
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:38 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:11 pm Do you guys air down when you hit the trail and then fill up with a compressor when you're leaving?
Depends on terrain.

You have rocks out there, airing down would be beneficial.

Invest in one of these: https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/87p
That's exactly what I was looking at on Amazon :like:
SAWCE

Oh, no, I was looking at the 88P. On sale for $59. Doesn't come with that bag/case though, but good for up to 33" tires which will probably happen one day.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:37 pm Oh, no, I was looking at the 88P. On sale for $59. Doesn't come with that bag/case though, but good for up to 33" tires which will probably happen one day.
What’s the cost delta between that and something like the 400p?
You already have 32’s stock so I would invest in something that can handle 35s. If upgrades could be in your future.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:12 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:37 pm Oh, no, I was looking at the 88P. On sale for $59. Doesn't come with that bag/case though, but good for up to 33" tires which will probably happen one day.
What’s the cost delta between that and something like the 400p?
You already have 32’s stock so I would invest in something that can handle 35s. If upgrades could be in your future.
About $100 IIRC. I'll look on Amazon again tomorrow, but yeah, I looked at those ones figuring I might as well future-proof my stuff if I buy anything.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

Would love to take my Forester out on some light trails. Not much around this part.

Heres a few pics from a little drive I took to NY.

ImageSubaru dog by brian cerna, on Flickr

ImageSubaru Forester by brian cerna, on Flickr
Took it on the beach too but didnt take any pics.
Apex

09vdubgti wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:51 pm Would love to take my Forester out on some light trails. Not much around this part.

Do you have front/rear tow/recovery points on that?
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:00 pm
09vdubgti wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:51 pm Would love to take my Forester out on some light trails. Not much around this part.

Do you have front/rear tow/recovery points on that?
Front and rear tow hooks? Yes.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

I kinda worry more about the tires, as their kinda well basic suv highway tires. Bridgestone Dueler H/L. Well some nice light stuff I think theyll be alright.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

[user not found] wrote:
09vdubgti wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:45 pm I kinda worry more about the tires, as their kinda well basic suv highway tires. Bridgestone Dueler H/L. Well some nice light stuff I think theyll be alright.

I'd look up fording depths for your car. Can probably reroute around some of these if needed, though.
Now that's a good way to get dirt behind the taillights.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:00 am Real trail talk: Apex and I met up and tackled a section of the TNJT yesterday.
its nice to see trucks doing truck things
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:35 pm Another stage of the TNJT to be tackled tomorrow. Deets to come. :heavybreathing:
:gonbgud:
Apex

Signed up at Overland Bound last night to read some of the first aid kit and recovery gear sections. Tons of info from legitimate sources, the first aid section is run by a trauma surgeon with input from various :neek: s and military (green beret) medics. :notbad:

Also researching winches :fullretard:
I should start a build thread or something for the :truk: current plans are leaning towards the Zone 1.25 level that I already own and some 255/75 Duratracs. Then the MOI winch bumper and winch. Those are designed with a Smittybilt X20 in mind, but I'm :notsure: on Smittybilt.
SAWCE

Let's see pics from this weekend's adventure.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:25 pm Apex couldn't resist, though.
And this is why I should end up with a winch at some point. I'm going to get stuck sooner or later. :lol:
SAWCE

:fuckyeah:

I didn't get the :jeep: out :(
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Looked like the fake :jeep: kept up with the real :truk: s just fine, eh?
Last edited by wap on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

wap wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:10 pm Looked like the fake :jeep: kept up with the real :truk: s just find, eh?
fake heep did really well.

It was nothing really taxing, though, but still fun to get out and explore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:19 pm
wap wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:10 pm Looked like the fake :jeep: kept up with the real :truk: s just fine, eh?
fake heep did really well.

It was nothing really taxing, though, but still fun to get out and explore.
:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:35 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:25 pm Apex couldn't resist, though.
And this is why I should end up with a winch at some point. I'm going to get stuck sooner or later. :lol:
If you want to go out on your own, it's probably not a bad idea.

I've found that the winch was a detriment because it gives me an extra sense of security. I'll try crap now that I never would have before the winch because I know I can get myself unstuck if need be. Not wise, really.

But, I HIGHLY recommend a remote mount winch if you're going to do it. Winches are heavy, and having that thing permanently hanging off the front of the truck adversely impacts handling and fuel efficiency. Being able to take the winch only when you're going wheeling is great, PLUS you can winch from the front or back, which can be hugely beneficial. There's also the added benefit of the anderson power poles at the front and back that you can use to run an air compressor, or even jumpstart another vehicle all without opening the hood.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:52 am
Apex wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:35 pm

I've found that the winch was a detriment because it gives me an extra sense of security. I'll try crap now that I never would have before the winch because I know I can get myself unstuck if need be. Not wise, really.

But, I HIGHLY recommend a remote mount winch if you're going to do it. Winches are heavy, and having that thing permanently hanging off the front of the truck adversely impacts handling and fuel efficiency. Being able to take the winch only when you're going wheeling is great, PLUS you can winch from the front or back, which can be hugely beneficial. There's also the added benefit of the anderson power poles at the front and back that you can use to run an air compressor, or even jumpstart another vehicle all without opening the hood.
Storing a remote mounted winch would be my issue right now. I've thought about what you have said about winches in the past a lot lately. Remote makes a ton of sense, for all of the reasons you've mentioned.

What winch do you have for your remote setup?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:06 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:52 am

Storing a remote mounted winch would be my issue right now. I've thought about what you have said about winches in the past a lot lately. Remote makes a ton of sense, for all of the reasons you've mentioned.

What winch do you have for your remote setup?
Ah, yes...I just keep mine in the garage, which you can't do. You could always carry it into your place and put it in a closet or something, it's not huge.

I've got a Warn VR-10s on a Warn multimount cradle. The VR series is Warn's "entry" winch, and the 10k capacity has proven to be ample. I've been pleased overall with it the few times I've used it. Upgrading to the synthetic line was worth the piece of mind as well. Bought it as a black friday deal last year, for a solid deal.

I wired my truck with the Warn wiring kit that includes a solenoid for safety. I recommend the entire setup.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.