The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:03 pm Grabbed the Smittybuilt warehouse :dill: and the 2 pack version of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Under $40 shipped here in 2 days. That box is going to be heavy AF. :lol:
Spray paint the pins on those shackles orange as soon as you get them. The fact that they're black is 5/7 :rolleyes: :butwhy:

Often times, tough recoveries can go into the dark. Drop that pin and you'll spend way too long trying to find it. Shackles should be a bright color that's easy to spot in the dark. Mine are all bright red. Ask me how I know...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:38 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Yeah, the difficulty of the actual trails is going to vary a bit with the simple system. Easier blues I would say a stock Rubicon can handle. More difficult ones they are either going to need a bunch of experience or some bigger tires.

Not sure what it's like out in places like Moab, but this is east-coast for ya.
In cali it is a bit odd... this is in my recollection.
There is "high clearance recommended" (tons of minivans)
"high clearance required" (still fun)
"high clearance 4x4 required" (couldn't make it on a suburban) (scratched up my WJ)
Scratched your WJ...are you talking pin striping from brush or hitting rocks underneath?

Scraping skid plates is :aintcare: that's what they're there for. Pin striping is a way of life, so get a bright (white) color if they bother you and you don't want to polish the truck every weekend. My truck's all striped up and :aintcare: It never gets through the clear.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:11 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:38 pm

In cali it is a bit odd... this is in my recollection.
There is "high clearance recommended" (tons of minivans)
"high clearance required" (still fun)
"high clearance 4x4 required" (couldn't make it on a suburban) (scratched up my WJ)
Scratched your WJ...are you talking pin striping from brush or hitting rocks underneath?

Scraping skid plates is :aintcare: that's what they're there for. Pin striping is a way of life, so get a bright (white) color if they bother you and you don't want to polish the truck every weekend. My truck's all striped up and :aintcare: It never gets through the clear.
The 2nd part. I was taking it pretty slow, but the trail started getting really narrow really fast. And even though my WJ is "small" by any sort of 4x4 measure it was too big for it... and I got the offroad pinstripe :disgust: ideally I'd like to not damage much when wheeling. Just getting stuck in the middle of no where, is not my idea of fun.

i'd def enjoy some lighter/offroading/overlanding etc more so than crawling
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:09 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:03 pm Grabbed the Smittybuilt warehouse :dill: and the 2 pack version of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Under $40 shipped here in 2 days. That box is going to be heavy AF. :lol:
Spray paint the pins on those shackles orange as soon as you get them. The fact that they're black is 5/7 :rolleyes: :butwhy:

Often times, tough recoveries can go into the dark. Drop that pin and you'll spend way too long trying to find it. Shackles should be a bright color that's easy to spot in the dark. Mine are all bright red. Ask me how I know...
Yep, that's why I went with the orange shackles. Will have to paint up the pins to match when I get them.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:11 pm

The 2nd part. I was taking it pretty slow, but the trail started getting really narrow really fast. And even though my WJ is "small" by any sort of 4x4 measure it was too big for it... and I got the offroad pinstripe :disgust: ideally I'd like to not damage much when wheeling. Just getting stuck in the middle of no where, is not my idea of fun.

i'd def enjoy some lighter/offroading/overlanding etc more so than crawling
Pin striping is somewhat unavoidable...it's just going to happen unless you get out and trim the trail. That's where the plastic fenders and bumpers on the Jeep are so nice, I only ever got some pinstriping on the doors, and you couldn't even see it because my Jeep was bright orange. That's why a lot of people who wheel get white, silver, or bright colors that hide the stripes. But pinstriping comes off with minimal effort with the DA. It's really NBD.

You should seriously consider some desert stuff in addition to Utah. Look up the Mojave Road. I've done it a few times in my XJ and JK and it's an epic journey.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:41 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:42 pm

Also bad ass. Nice way to spend a few days off.
I've been dying to tackle it with people I know.
:well:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:06 pm
:well:
Tough to get the time, Saturdays are really hard to get off and cost me lots of :dill: :dill:

If we could do a Sunday into Tuesday, I'd be down. But that's tough for everyone else.
I have a shitload of vacation, I'd be down.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:08 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Tough to get the time, Saturdays are really hard to get off and cost me lots of :dill: :dill:

If we could do a Sunday into Tuesday, I'd be down. But that's tough for everyone else.
I have a shitload of vacation, I'd be down.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:10 pm Dplac, what are you using for trail communication? Handheld CB or just walkies?

I've got a CB already wired into the :truk: anyway, figured I'd ask.
I use whatever most people I wheel with use. In CA, everyone had CB's. They worked best for medium range communication in case we adventured apart.

Here, nobody I wheel with has CB. So I just bought some Midland walkies that are 5/7. Work over a decent enough range for my purposes.

The CB was a pain. Not only to install, but to setup in tuning and whatnot. I won't install another unless I absolutely need to.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:15 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:11 pm

:fuckyeah: :fuckyeah:

Maybe we'll get a DFD goes wheeling :meat:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:15 pm
I use whatever most people I wheel with use. In CA, everyone had CB's. They worked best for medium range communication in case we adventured apart.

Here, nobody I wheel with has CB. So I just bought some Midland walkies that are 5/7. Work over a decent enough range for my purposes.

The CB was a pain. Not only to install, but to setup in tuning and whatnot. I won't install another unless I absolutely need to.
I went with a Midland 75-822 unit that's all housed in the handheld unit. It can be powered by the 12V outlet or can be removed from the truck and be completely handheld. Works pretty well and was super easy to install.

https://midlandusa.com/product/75-822cb-radio/

Wired up to a 5' Firestik that's mounted in the bed.

I've also got a set of Cobra walkies that I use for the Fap. So whatever's easier.
:ohdang: :notbad:

How'd you tune the antenna, or did it just work?
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:27 pm
:ohdang: :notbad:

How'd you tune the antenna, or did it just work?
Firestik has a tunable tip - I've got an SWR meter.

I've got it tuned pretty good, I think.
:ohdang: you bought an SWR meter. :impressive:

I always had to fiddle with the one in my XJ. I'd get it tuned just right and work great, then the next time out somewhere else it would change. I was too cheap to buy an SWR meter, so I'd always borrow my buddy's on the trail. He got annoyed, I got annoyed. Made no sense. I have a Midland CB, maybe it was bad.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:15 pm

I went with a Midland 75-822 unit that's all housed in the handheld unit. It can be powered by the 12V outlet or can be removed from the truck and be completely handheld. Works pretty well and was super easy to install.

I've also got a set of Cobra walkies that I use for the Fap. So whatever's easier.
We had :dat: in wifey's old GC. Most of the Jeep events we do use CB's so we'll be putting another one in.

We also have handheld walkies from our MINI runs.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:37 pm

We had :dat: in wifey's old GC. Most of the Jeep events we do use CB's so we'll be putting another one in.

We also have handheld walkies from our MINI runs.
Interesting. Very few people run CB's out here. Must be a FLAT midwestern thing. Walkies can go for a while.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:06 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:41 pm

It is ugh... I was just curious if some group of "enthusiasts" maintains a trail/log difficulty rating.

It seems that most rate it as easy/moderate/difficult difficult being more for bragging rights than fun.
Trails in CA are pretty well documented at this point. There's multiple resources online that can help assess trail difficulty. It can be tough because a lot of people may understate a trail, but I did some pretty crazy stuff in my stock Rubicon that never ever got scratched. Almost all major obstacles have a bypass, and it's important to know when to take it. I bypassed many but still had a ton of fun. Check the damned ego if you value your rig. That's the key.

I really miss wheeling out west. You guys have a ton of federal and state forrest and fire roads you can wheel that are well documented and easy to travel. In the midwest and east, we're confined to "offroad parks" that are poorly mapped with even worse marked trails that generally have an arbitrary rating system. A few weeks ago, I got stuck on a trail rated "yellow" for "stock SUV with 4x4". Buried in mud up the frame, ain't no "stock SUV" can do that. I had to winch myself out.

These "new" backcountry discovery routes are 5/7, and I can't wait to explore them. These sort of "overlanding" routes are intended to be more of a journey than a challenge. Major obstacles are minimal. I was going to do Daniel Boone earlier this month, but got rained out. A lot of these are multi-day adventures where you camp along the trail, but no fun in the rain. I also don't enjoy winching up a washed out trail for miles.
:word:

I think if I lived in CA I'd be more likely to get a :jeep: . We have places in NC but I think I'd rather wheel out in the wide open desert than in the woods, less scratches, better visibility, more varied scenery.

In4pics in this thread. I'll probably never actually own a :jeep: but I'd love too and think overlanding would be a blast.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

It's sad we don't get this here

New Jimny. These are insanely durable little runabouts. Solid axles, super tiny, would be awesome to offroad with.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:13 am It's sad we don't get this here

New Jimny. These are insanely durable little runabouts. Solid axles, super tiny, would be awesome to offroad with.
Pretty sure there are plenty of Jeep patriots around still

:iswydt:
ChrisoftheNorth

I dunno...I don't think I'd want to drive that thing on the street or highways, and often times it's a multiple-hour highway jaunt to get to an offroad trail.

If I wanted something like that, I'd probably just buy a side by side. About the same price, way more fun.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:16 am

Hah! Yes. Solid axles doe, it's more like a cheap modern Cherokee XJ with a :jalepenis: motor.

Man I could park that literally anywhere. And no igloo cooler roof. Probably drives like shit.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:23 am

Hah! Yes. Solid axles doe, it's more like a cheap modern Cherokee XJ with a :jalepenis: motor.

Man I could park that literally anywhere. And no igloo cooler roof. Probably drives like shit.
Just buy a Samurai?
max225

There is nothing wrong with the igloo roof. Unless this thing is somehow 1/2 the price of a wrangler I don’t see the point. And even then the side by side idea that was mentioned seems like a better way to go
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:23 am

Just buy a Samurai?
That's what it is basically but with a real back instead of a tent and scaffolding.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:25 am

There is nothing wrong with the igloo roof. Unless this thing is somehow 1/2 the price of a wrangler I don’t see the point. And even then the side by side idea that was mentioned seems like a better way to go
I'm still curious about the 2 door JL.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:27 am
You should really go drive one. I've been seeing them around here lately, :megusta:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:27 am
You should be. No frills version is right around 33k otd 35 If you had to have power windows. However I think you can lease one for <$300 a month now