Boaty McBoat Face: Airboater Turns Salty Seaman

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:44 am Image
Always loved that scene.

And playing with that theme, we did get to the marina. I was unable to remove some years old masking tape on the top deck. Was very :rage: and ordered a gummy wheel eraser to come back and remove. So we didnt get any of the list of projects DONE but did get all the materials to do them.

Back to the sinking theme, while removing cushions and taking everything out to clean, we found a consistent water line in the boat. Looks like the lower have took about 1' of water many years ago. So new cushion getting made and Ill go paint the wood lockers/holds

NEw battery was installed and nearly all the systems work. Need to replace mast light and front nav lights. That mast light will be difficult to say the least. Its 20' in the air.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

To replace light fixture on top of mast... :yikes:

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:37 am To replace light fixture on top of mast... :yikes:

also applicable

Last edited by goIftdibrad on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Very cool. It's like a lil budget beater Miata. I didn't realize they were so cheap.
There's something about being with the elements and just going with it. When we'd go on motorcycle trips, we tried to be as primitive as possible and camp in the raw woods near clean water in a spot that wasn't a camp site. All just to get the f away from shit and cruise. Being on the water is a whole new level of interesting.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:09 am Very cool. It's like a lil budget beater Miata. I didn't realize they were so cheap.
There's something about being with the elements and just going with it. When we'd go on motorcycle trips, we tried to be as primitive as possible and camp in the raw woods near clean water in a spot that wasn't a camp site. All just to get the f away from shit and cruise. Being on the water is a whole new level of interesting.
:dat:

this guy gets it. I always have enjoyed being on the water. Always had a fishing boat around and while thats fun it isnt the same as having a quiet trip and giving up some element of control.

Some people don't "get it" and can shit all over what I find interesting. Yes, I have a ton of hobbies and interest along with some irons in the fire. I won't be taking on any new projects. I also maintain a fairly :scrooge: hobby level and do most things on the cheap with little to no impact on my monthly budget.

So, right now I am $1300 into boat and motor and $686.50 into everything else to own the boat. It might be worth $3000-3500 in top shape. Im looking at spending about $700 more in all new foam/upholstery for walls/cushions. If I could have a boat for about 2 years and it be a wash in terms of money I am good with that.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:40 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:09 am Very cool. It's like a lil budget beater Miata. I didn't realize they were so cheap.
:dat:

this guy gets it. I always have enjoyed being on the water. Always had a fishing boat around and while thats fun it isnt the same as having a quiet trip and giving up some element of control.

Some people don't "get it" and can shit all over what I find interesting. Yes, I have a ton of hobbies and interest along with some irons in the fire. I won't be taking on any new projects. I also maintain a fairly :scrooge: hobby level and do most things on the cheap with little to no impact on my monthly budget.

So, right now I am $1300 into boat and motor and $686.50 into everything else to own the boat. It might be worth $3000-3500 in top shape. Im looking at spending about $700 more in all new foam/upholstery for walls/cushions. If I could have a boat for about 2 years and it be a wash in terms of money I am good with that.
I think it's a cool project. Having sailed on similar boats, they are really great to get away for a few hours on. I love being out on the water.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Yes, I have a ton of hobbies and interest along with some irons in the fire.
some?!?!
drone(s)
boat
rabbit
mk2
grom
old honda
house
FV racecar
3d printer

dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:40 am I won't be taking on any new projects.
:idbu: :dubshow:

BUT, I hope you dont for your sake and take these projects to a level of completion to where they are useful things.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:03 am

Yes, I have a ton of hobbies and interest along with some irons in the fire.
some?!?!
drone(s)
boat
rabbit
mk2
grom
old honda
house
FV racecar
3d printer

dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:40 am I won't be taking on any new projects.
:idbu: :dubshow:

BUT, I hope you dont for your sake and take these projects to a level of completion to where they are useful things.
how is a drone and 3d printer a thing of completion? A house? yes. I live in a house.

I also have a toilet paper roll. It requires some effort to change. Might as well add that to the list.

you forgot the pi and an xbox. ZOMG HE HAS GAMING DEVICES too. :iono:
Acid666

Lol the :salt: is flowing.
Lemme know if you need some boat registration numbers or something cut out of vinyl. Or a classy "SALT LYFE" sticker.
I think Salt Life would fit that thing perfectly.
Reminds me years ago on the local news channel's Facebook page they reported that there was an accident for the train at the Zoo Of Acadiana from it derailing.
Top comment was "OH LAWD NO, IT WAS A DISASTUH! THEY WAS BUD LIGHT CANS, YETI COOLERS, AND SALT LIFE STICKERS SCATTERED EVERYWHERE BAW!"
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:00 pm Lol the :salt: is flowing.
Lemme know if you need some boat registration numbers or something cut out of vinyl. Or a classy "SALT LYFE" sticker.
Reminds me years ago on the local news channel's Facebook page they reported that there was an accident for the train at the Zoo Of Acadiana from it derailing.
Top comment was "OH LAWD NO, IT WAS A DISASTUH! THEY WAS BUD LIGHT CANS, YETI COOLERS, AND SALT LIFE STICKERS SCATTERED EVERYWHERE BAW!"
ha. For the longest time I really thought the sticker was "slut life". Still chuckle when I see one from ~25ft away.

I am good on hull numbers BUT I'd love a Seayore sticker or 2. I dont know how to get a high rez version unless we bother [user not found].

I need something like that as well but 7.3 instead of 7.9

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

ray ray stopped to check out my boat. He thinks he still wants a large boat and says he has $60k disposable.. :rolleyes:

anyway, we walking the marina looking at new and old boats. he finds this big 40' boat. Nice, german made, not common in these parts.

rayray: "thats like a $200k boat! I want that"

:dubshow: "nah dad, thats probably like a $90-100k boat depending how its set up"

"no way its that cheap"

:dubshow: "hey look, here is the ad for it. they want $79k"

"Oh, well see if they will take $55k. I bet they will take it!"

:dubshow: "what are you basing that price on? They probably have it priced a bit under market value and says here motivated seller in the ad, i think its fair"

"ok well i'll offer $65k, find who the owner is so I can buy it"

:dubshow: "no, im not bothering the owner for you to pester and low ball. 45 seconds ago you thought it was a $200k boat."

accurate:

:lolol:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/b ... t-2918120/
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:00 pm Lol the :salt: is flowing.
no :salt: , spillway open mostly fresh water in the lake.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:17 pm ray ray stopped to check out my boat. He thinks he still wants a large boat and says he has $60k disposable.. :rolleyes:

anyway, we walking the marina looking at new and old boats. he finds this big 40' boat. Nice, german made, not common in these parts.

rayray: "thats like a $200k boat! I want that"

:dubshow: "nah dad, thats probably like a $90-100k boat depending how its set up"

"no way its that cheap"

:dubshow: "hey look, here is the ad for it. they want $79k"

"Oh, well see if they will take $55k. I bet they will take it!"

:dubshow: "what are you basing that price on? They probably have it priced a bit under market value and says here motivated seller in the ad, i think its fair"

"ok well i'll offer $65k, find who the owner is so I can buy it"

:dubshow: "no, im not bothering the owner for you to pester and low ball. 45 seconds ago you thought it was a $200k boat."

accurate:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/b ... t-2918120/
:bravo: quality Ray story is quality
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

TIME TO GET SOME GOOD WORK IN OVER DA HOLIDAY.

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Did a lot of work Friday. It was brutally hot with near zero shade. Will be bringing a popup tent and some form of tarp to put over boat in the future.

Got top rails installed. FIL dropped one stainless standoff into the water. it gone. But otherwise its more water proof. That old dried out tape on top deck was a real PITA to remove. I got some coats of wax under the railed areas.

Got the hatch varnished.

Got the bulk head replaced and corners glassed in. Will add more glass to cover the plywood.

I think cushions will be a coming soon project along with finishing a hatchdoor with AC cutout.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jJzVHoUmMyyH5bZb6
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

work was done, nice
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

dubshow wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:59 pm TIME TO GET SOME GOOD WORK IN OVER DA HOLIDAY.

HAHAHAHHA I love how she kept trying to get back into that sinking ship. IT GOIN DOWN, I NEED TO BE IN THUR
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Made a quick run sunday in the rain. No photos but got the bulkhead fully glassed in. Its curing and should be ready to drill and bolt support back to it.

Will likely have a work day with FIL, he got a nice new compass and a few other trinkets. Remove some interior carper and basic clean up and we will likely take it out!

There are only 3 small leaks on the top deck. 1 is a stand off missing that FIL dropped into water while working. The hurricane actually blew the duct tape of the tiny hole. Another is a slightly leaking hatch vent fan, its geting replaced. The 3rd was the broken window but somehow its at the seal around and not the tape. The hatch vent is actually the worst leak, surprisingly.
Acid666

Sounds like minimal issues on the leaks, which is a plus. How many layers of fiberglass do you use for boat work? I've been dealing with it on the cat eye things for the Miata and it's stout after about 3 layers, but I'm curious how thick it needs to be for a boat.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:07 am Sounds like minimal issues on the leaks, which is a plus. How many layers of fiberglass do you use for boat work? I've been dealing with it on the cat eye things for the Miata and it's stout after about 3 layers, but I'm curious how thick it needs to be for a boat.
this is an interior piece. A lot of the youtube people doing similar work are only using 2-3 layers in the corner. I did 4 corner layers widening each time and 2 layers on the main piece of wood. I did 1 extra wrap in the area I will bolt the connection plate. This is also on 1/2" marine plywood which is pretty strong itself.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Went out for the maiden voyage 2 weekends back. Some prolly saw the IG posts. Twas a good time and the wife really likes going out on nice days. She didnt get motion sickness and this usually plagues her activities with me.

Father in Law tagged along. Few things to work on as always with a 1982 boat but its fit for sailing.

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:49 pm Went out for the maiden voyage 2 weekends back. Some prolly saw the IG posts. Twas a good time and the wife really likes going out on nice days. She didnt get motion sickness and this usually plagues her activities with me.

Father in Law tagged along. Few things to work on as always with a 1982 boat but its fit for sailing.

That's pretty 5/7!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.