Should airfare be more expensive?

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

You should have to pay more if you're DFD-sized. You fucks take up 3 seats? Then pay triple.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:39 pm You should have to pay more if you're DFD-sized. You fucks take up 3 seats? Then pay triple.
As a fellow skinny kid, I fucking agree x10. Also, I'd pay a significant premium to be on a flight that was guaranteed to be free of minors.

I have dreamt about what my ideal airline would look like and it wouldn't be cheap, and I wouldn't care.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:39 pm You should have to pay more if you're DFD-sized. You fucks take up 3 seats? Then pay triple.
Absolutely.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:40 pm
Uhhh they do. If you can't fit in a seat you have to buy the seats you overlap into.
:notsure: :idbu:

Sure, in situations of complete obesity. But in the DFD burly dude situ, not so much. Also, some people just let their arms and shoulders flop all over. If I don't know you, I shouldn't be touching you.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
Uhhh they do. If you can't fit in a seat you have to buy the seats you overlap into.
No they don't. I've almost never been next to someone who didn't encroach on "my" space. Pretty much any 200 lb person is going to exceed the width of a standard seat.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:40 pm Uhhh they do. If you can't fit in a seat you have to buy the seats you overlap into.
I have never ever seen this IRL so I have to say, thus far, :idbu:
Last edited by stripethree on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:Personally seats are generally plenty wide. The pitch (distance between) and padding is where help is needed.

Premium economy is always worth it.
Knowing your size: You do NOT fit within a standard seat. Do you (or rather, does your company) pay for 3 seats?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:47 pm
[user not found] wrote:
No they don't. I've almost never been next to someone who didn't encroach on "my" space. Pretty much any 200 lb person is going to exceed the width of a standard seat.
I'd say more like 250. If you're "big" and sit in the window or aisle seat, you can move away from the middle seat occupant. If "big" and in the middle seat, they everybody has to move away from your big ass encroaching into their space.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:50 pm I see it about half the time I'm on a flight and in poverty class.
Well alright then. I'm usually in poverty class on full flights. I'll have to see if this happens on upcoming journeys.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Of course, it's not like airfare being more expensive would cause airlines to make the seats bigger. The prices would have to become expensive enough to create lots of empty seats.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:50 pm Knowing your size: You do NOT fit within a standard seat. Do you (or rather, does your company) pay for 3 seats?
Because I'm tall, not wide. Three seats wouldn't do shit for me. Premium economy seats are the exact same width as a poverty seat.

Yes, my company does pay for multiple seats for obese employees.
Your elbows don't extend into the plane of the armrests?

:idbu:

What's your width at the widest point?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:53 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:50 pm Knowing your size: You do NOT fit within a standard seat. Do you (or rather, does your company) pay for 3 seats?
Because I'm tall, not wide. Three seats wouldn't do shit for me. Premium economy seats are the exact same width as a poverty seat.

Yes, my company does pay for multiple seats for obese employees.
Really?
troyguitar

ITT: Fatties think that they're not fat because most people are also fat. :disgust:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Straight up, the minute I or someone else on my behalf had to pay for an extra airline seat, that would be my Jenny Craig moment.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:54 pm Your elbows don't extend into the plane of the armrests?

What's your width at the widest point?
Heck no they don't, if I'm not in the middle I only take the one arm rest away from the middle seat.

I can't say I've ever measured my width... In my hips I'm less than 17 inches as I don't touch the arm rests and Americans are 17.5 inches apart in Premium Economy and Economy.
You shouldn't take ANY armrests. If both outside people take an armrest from the middle, then the middle person gets nothing.

Your width from elbow to elbow needs to be under the width of the seat, NOT including armrests. Anything wider and you are in my fucking space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:01 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Heck no they don't, if I'm not in the middle I only take the one arm rest away from the middle seat.

I can't say I've ever measured my width... In my hips I'm less than 17 inches as I don't touch the arm rests and Americans are 17.5 inches apart in Premium Economy and Economy.
You shouldn't take ANY armrests. If both outside people take an armrest from the middle, then the middle person gets nothing.

Your width from elbow to elbow needs to be under the width of the seat, NOT including armrests. Anything wider and you are in my fucking space.
You are extremely fucked in the current climate of fat Americans and airline profit maximization. But I totally agree hence my desire to clear the airports of peasants.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:58 pm ITT: Fatties think that they're not fat because most people are also fat. :disgust:
You calling me fat bro?
Fat, big, whatever... You are too big to fit three of yourself next to each other without touching.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:05 pm Fat, big, whatever... You are too big to fit three of yourself next to each other without touching.
Easily. I end up next to guys like me on planes several times a week without touching them.

It's starting to sound like you're the issue if you experience the issues
Yeah my 140 lb ass is too wide... Riiiiiiiight.

How wide are you at the shoulders/elbows?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm paying $250 each RT to fly my daughter and I from Palm Springs to the Pay Area in late March. That's an 8 hour drive. Too cheap? Too expensive?
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:Just measured my travel blazer. 20.5 inches across the shoulders, my widest point by far. American Airlines seats are 22 inches wide at the shoulder. So a 205 pound 6'3" man isn't inside your space, Troy.
You need to measure with your body in it...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:05 pm Fat, big, whatever... You are too big to fit three of yourself next to each other without touching.
Easily. I end up next to guys like me on planes several times a week without touching them.

It's starting to sound like you're the issue if you experience the issues
A lot of it is just giving a f!@#%. You can certainly narrow your shoulders and keep your arms inside your "space"
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:12 pm You need to measure with your body in it...
Uhhh if a shirt is a size, it would rip if you put something bigger in it.
Uhhh your arms stick out past the corners of your shoulders if your shit fits you properly.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:14 pm Uhhh your arms stick out past the corners of your shoulders if your shit fits you properly.
I'm narrower at the elbow than shoulder.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Fuck you. I fit in the 95% percent American male, that means I should fit reasonably confortabally.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:Here's the issue Troy:
If you are in the middle seat you get the arm rests. If the guy next to you is wider than his seat, it's up to him to not interfere in your space. I had two middle seats in poverty last week and had perfectly pleasant flights People that fly understand this. Poverty flight prices result in more people that don't understand this getting in your grill. It's not the person's size as much as their understanding of the unwritten rules of the air that matter.
Or if you are wider than the seat you should not be allowed to have the seat, period... That should even be a safety concern.