Should airfare be more expensive?

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

dubshow wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:34 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:39 pm

like dis?
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
:lolol: :fax: :lolol:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
still dead.

POT(month)
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:28 pm @troyguitar

Thoughts? Seems like this would solve many issues.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/molon-lab ... aft-seats/
:impressive:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:15 pm

:impressive:
Yeah those are cool.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Neat idea.

And I love the company name!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

First class or I don't fly. The flight to Nashville was expensive but well worth it, dinner, movies, five Jack and Cokes before the delayed take off, all included.

The upcoming flight to Hawaii should be nice as well.

I also love boarding first and getting a drink while the cattle call boarding happens.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:08 am First class or I don't fly. The flight to Nashville was expensive but well worth it, dinner, movies, five Jack and Cokes before the delayed take off, all included.

The upcoming flight to Hawaii should be nice as well.

I also love boarding first and getting a drink while the cattle call boarding happens.
:mahtroy: :rage:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

interesting.... stealing from peter to pay paul though. People will still books cheapest possible and spill over to the next seat unless the airlines enforce a seat size/height rule. BUT, more larger seats will mean they are less expensive....sooooo
brain go brrrrrr
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:51 am Minors are annoying but animals have become downright :rage: inducing. Fucking emotional support animals.
A colleague of mine is a manager for one of the big 3 middle eastern airlines. One day I see him bringing in several dog training pads. He said a passenger had a pretty big dog as a service animal and they needed it to lay it across the aisle.

I forget exactly how he worded it but he said its illegal for the airline to deny any service animal space on the plane as long as they have a service animal attire. So even if the dog isn't a service animal, someone could buy one and bring their bigger dog inside the cabin. They can't even ask for paperwork i believe.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:07 pm https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/american ... n-flights/

Paging Troy
Why? He'd fit in there perfectly. Only dude on the plane who gets to use the bathroom, the rest of the fatasses have to wear depends.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:07 pm https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/american ... n-flights/

Paging Troy
:disgust:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Paging Troy
:disgust:
Smells like sardines.

Funny, I wouldn’t expect one of the “top 3” to implement bare-fare levels of travel
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

09vdubgti wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:00 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:51 am Minors are annoying but animals have become downright :rage: inducing. Fucking emotional support animals.
A colleague of mine is a manager for one of the big 3 middle eastern airlines. One day I see him bringing in several dog training pads. He said a passenger had a pretty big dog as a service animal and they needed it to lay it across the aisle.

I forget exactly how he worded it but he said its illegal for the airline to deny any service animal space on the plane as long as they have a service animal attire. So even if the dog isn't a service animal, someone could buy one and bring their bigger dog inside the cabin. They can't even ask for paperwork i believe.
That’s fine but it’s still a federal offense to impersonate a service animal.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Sno wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:35 pm
09vdubgti wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:00 pm

The only "service" some of these rats are good for is a laugh when people think anyone believes them and when I say "Oh, look.. You went to New York and rescued a rat and put a vest on it."

People that like little dogs and take them to the grocery store and other places are open game and I let my true feelings be known. The true indicator, even if you don't go by size/breed is the training. So many little rats on leashes that are not well behaved enough to be an actual service dog.

Please note I didn't say "emotional support animal". Those can be just about any breed the insecure person wants, but still don't have any place in public spaces as far as I'm concerned.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 am
Sno wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:35 pm

The only "service" some of these rats are good for is a laugh when people think anyone believes them and when I say "Oh, look.. You went to New York and rescued a rat and put a vest on it."

People that like little dogs and take them to the grocery store and other places are open game and I let my true feelings be known. The true indicator, even if you don't go by size/breed is the training. So many little rats on leashes that are not well behaved enough to be an actual service dog.

Please note I didn't say "emotional support animal". Those can be just about any breed the insecure person wants, but still don't have any place in public spaces as far as I'm concerned.
ESA's do not have public access rights at the federal level, that is reserved for service animals. And as you stated, it is usually not difficult to spot a trained service animal.

Service animals in training are a little different. They may act out while still in training, but the handler should be on top of that and be correcting the behavior on the spot.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:18 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 am

ESA's do not have public access rights at the federal level, that is reserved for service animals. And as you stated, it is usually not difficult to spot a trained service animal.

Service animals in training are a little different. They may act out while still in training, but the handler should be on top of that and be correcting the behavior on the spot.
Every time I see a service dog in training (usually Labs around here), I get depressed and see my failure while thinking "why didn't I train my black lab to be so calm and well behaved?".

My :doge: would have failed out of training on day 2. She's a hyper bitch that just loves people too much to not want to play all the time.

Looks like my :doge: too, and we even had a purple collar for her like that before: https://people.com/pets/bomb-sniffing-c ... ls-school/
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:21 am Good article about why frequent flyer programs aren't unfair:

https://onemileatatime.com/frequent-fly ... nequality/
:notbad:

I liked this, it made me think of a couple people:
Though I guess an argument could also be made that credit cards are a significantly bigger tool of inequality than frequent flyer programs. Generally people who are better off have more access to credit cards, and isn’t the cost of purchases being raised by a couple of percent due to merchant fees? It’s quite literally those without access to credit cards subsidizing those with credit cards.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:Good article about why frequent flyer programs aren't unfair:

The whole fucking world is like that, not just airlines. The richer you are, the less you pay for nearly everything.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I feel like with the current rate, flights are already expensive imo. Especially when international flights are concerned. There’s a reason why there are people sleeping on airport benches. Maybe keep the first class the same price, and cheapen out the lower level of class for those who won’t afford and just want to get to this destination. This is why I roadtrip when I visit Miami, New York, Boston, etc. Last time I flew from DC to any murican city was Charlotte 4 years ago, as a layover on the way to Costa Rica.

Also say if I live in Germany, Belgium etc and visit Turkey, I would simply drive there
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:00 am
[user not found] wrote:Good article about why frequent flyer programs aren't unfair:

The whole fucking world is like that, not just airlines. The richer you are, the less you pay for nearly everything.
bro, do you even economies of scale?
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Flew down to Charlotte Wednesday evening and flying back home to Newark today. Definitely was squished a little in the middle seat in economy on the 737 down. We’ll see what the flight home is like shortly.

I like flying doe, haven’t done it in ages.
wap

Apex wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:59 pm Flew down to Charlotte Wednesday evening and flying back home to Newark today. Definitely was squished a little in the middle seat in economy on the 737 down. We’ll see what the flight home is like shortly.

:butwhy: did you go down there? Business?
Apex

wap wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:48 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:59 pm Flew down to Charlotte Wednesday evening and flying back home to Newark today. Definitely was squished a little in the middle seat in economy on the 737 down. We’ll see what the flight home is like shortly.

Yup, first over night business trip for me. The Embraer 175 that I was on back home tonight was roomier than the 737. It was nice only have 2 seats per side, and a window seat behind the wing is my favorite. I like watching all of the mechanical parts of the wing in action.
wap

Apex wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:48 pm
Yup, first over night business trip for me. The Embraer 175 that I was on back home tonight was roomier than the 737. It was nice only have 2 seats per side, and a window seat behind the wing is my favorite. I like watching all of the mechanical parts of the wing in action.
:word: I like watching the wing flaps and air brakes, too!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:38 am WOW Shut down today. All future flights cancelled. they lasted longer than I thought they would.
My buddy lost his flight to Amsterdam. $500 on a Wow flight vs $1500 on Delta and other competitors. They probably could have upped the prices a bit.