Benders travel tips

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Murica!

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:24 am

I think a lot of my :alpo: luck has little to do with my status but a lot on how to work the system to your advantage. So I shall post these tips as they come to me.
This is the worst kind of discrimination there is: the kind against me!

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:25 am

Even if you are in a place for only one night, unpacking your bag makes you less likely to have wrinkles, lose something or feel unsettled the next day.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:46 pm

Airline tip:
Join every airline rewards program

If you run into a problem call the reservations desk for the rewards program instead of waiting in line for an in airport rep. The rewards folks have more power to help you, even if you don't have any status with the.

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:11 pm

Anal bum cover for 1200 Trebek. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hello from the other side.

I must have knocked a thousand times.

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:44 pm

how did this get in here?

golftdibrad
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 pm

dubshow wrote:
:dubshow: :dubshow: :dubshow:
:dubshow: :drunk: :dubshow:
golftdibrad wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 pm

I'm even :wrong: about joking about being :wrong:

DFD: welcometothepartypal.gif

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:38 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
dubshow wrote:
:idbu:

someone moved it.

wap
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:53 pm

dubshow wrote:
golftdibrad wrote:

someone moved it.
:nope:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:01 pm

wap wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:53 pm
dubshow wrote:

someone moved it.
:nope:
:notbad:

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:29 pm

If you want to check a bag but don't want to pay for it and it is technically small enough to be a carry-on...

Take it through security. Go to the gate for your flight. Ask the gate agent if the flight is full (it will be). Ask "can I complimentary check my bag to the destination?" They will say yes. Bag checked. Likely free.

wap

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:55 pm

Bender wrote:
If you want to check a bag but don't want to pay for it and it is technically small enough to be a carry-on...

Take it through security. Go to the gate for your flight. Ask the gate agent if the flight is full (it will be). Ask "can I complimentary check my bag to the destination?" They will say yes. Bag checked. Likely free.
Gate checking can be good when you have to check a bag, but why would you check a bag if you don't have to?

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 pm

wap wrote:
Bender wrote:

Gate checking can be good when you have to check a bag, but why would you check a bag if you don't have to?
I check my bags for a few reasons (transparently, I don't pay for checked baggage due to my status):
1) it makes it much easier to board and disembark
2) I often am on regional aircraft that require jetway checking anyway
3) I find it way easier to 'live in an airport' without a checked bag. Easier to use the bathroom, easier to grab a bite or a drink, easier to find a place to sit.
4) it only adds about ten minutes to your trip and is basically like letting someone else worry about it.
5) at most airports bag transfers for tight connections are faster than a person can walk. They are more likely to hold the plane for you if your bag is on the plane.

Most of the airline apps now track your bag for you in progress so lost bags are super rare.

wap

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Bender wrote:
wap wrote:

I check my bags for a few reasons (transparently, I don't pay for checked baggage due to my status):
3) I find it way easier to 'live in an airport' without a checked bag. Easier to use the bathroom, easier to grab a bite or a drink, easier to find a place to sit.
4) it only adds about ten minutes to your trip and is basically like letting someone else worry about it.
5) at most airports bag transfers for tight connections are faster than a person can walk. They are more likely to hold the plane for you if your bag is on the plane.

Most of the airline apps now track your bag for you in progress so lost bags are super rare.
Most of that makes sense. I forget how much easier it is to travel with someone else who can watch your bag while you go to the bathroom and vice versa, etc. Flying solo definitely changes the dynamic. I personally still wouldn't do it, :doe:

In my experience, which is mostly flying overseas, it's MUCH faster to not check any bags. I show up at O'Hare and head right to security since I don't have to check anything, and I love being able to walk off the plane in my destination city and immediately head for customs and out to the ground transport area while most everyone else is still waiting for their bags to show up on the belt, and those big trans-continental planes have a LOT of bags to unload so they'll be waiting for a while.

To each his own. :iono:

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 pm

wap wrote:
Bender wrote:

Most of that makes sense. I forget how much easier it is to travel with someone else who can watch your bag while you go to the bathroom and vice versa, etc. Flying solo definitely changes the dynamic. I personally still wouldn't do it, :doe:

In my experience, which is mostly flying overseas, it's MUCH faster to not check any bags. I show up at O'Hare and head right to security since I don't have to check anything, and I love being able to walk off the plane in my destination city and immediately head for customs and out to the ground transport area while most everyone else is still waiting for their bags to show up on the belt, and those big trans-continental planes have a LOT of bags to unload so they'll be waiting for a while.

Agreed on that point. I *typically* don't check bags on international flights.

Average seats on a domestic single aisle aircraft are around 150. Double that for an international flight. Add into the fact that many folks check multiple bags going intentionally... Makes a huge difference at baggage claim.

wap

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:30 pm

Bender wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 pm
wap wrote:

Agreed on that point. I *typically* don't check bags on international flights.

Average seats on a domestic single aisle aircraft are around 150. Double that for an international flight. Add into the fact that many folks check multiple bags going intentionally... Makes a huge difference at baggage claim.
:dat:
I've waited almost an hour for bags of people I was traveling with. In that hour, if I was by myself, I would have already gotten to my hotel, checked in, and out on the town beginning my vacation.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:12 pm

1) you get pre-check with it which is beyond worth it on it's own
2) many credit cards reimburse it
3) it can take a few months to get through the process so it's useful to get it before you need it

Desertbreh
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Bender wrote:
wap wrote:

I am a bag checker for all of the above reasons. I also detest imposing on others space, and don't like mine imposed on. So I get on the cattlecar and go to my assigned seat without touching anyone else.

MEANWHILE....

Wronald and his bride have decided to go to Europe for a week but they "like to start their vacation early" so they've stuffed a max-size carryon, have "personal bags" that are too big, and are standing over me whilst jamming their proverbial 10 pounds of shit into a five pound bag. He rinses and repeats upon arrival.

What's even better is people who do this to save $25.

golftdibrad
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Bender wrote:

I am a bag checker for all of the above reasons. I also detest imposing on others space, and don't like mine imposed on. So I get on the cattlecar and go to my assigned seat without touching anyone else.

MEANWHILE....

Wronald and his bride have decided to go to Europe for a week but they "like to start their vacation early" so they've stuffed a max-size carryon, have "personal bags" that are too big, and are standing over me whilst jamming their proverbial 10 pounds of shit into a five pound bag. He rinses and repeats upon arrival.

Between smol regional planes and the aggravation of using overhead bins, I always check a bag unless it's a vv short trip I can duffel out of.
golftdibrad wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 pm

I'm even :wrong: about joking about being :wrong:

DFD: welcometothepartypal.gif

Desertbreh
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 pm

I would be fine with banning carry-on luggage in its entirety. One personal bag....that's it.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
I would be fine with banning carry-on luggage in its entirety. One personal bag....that's it.
I wish airlines didn't make so much money with checked bag fees. Getting people to carry shit on slows EVERYTHING down. Longer security lines, slower boarding, slower disembarking.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:16 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote:

MEANWHILE....

Between smol regional planes and the aggravation of using overhead bins, I always check a bag unless it's a vv short trip I can duffel out of.
:dat: if it has wheels it isn't a carry-on

razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Bender wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
I wish airlines didn't make so much money with checked bag fees. Getting people to carry shit on slows EVERYTHING down. Longer security lines, slower boarding, slower disembarking.
The disembarking is 5/7 snap my own neck level. Everyone wants to be first and haul ass off the plane. I just sit down and enjoy my Jack & Coke laughing at the plebs trying to push themselves out of the plane.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

Desertbreh
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:20 pm

Bender wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
Just eliminate the bag fees, and add $25.00 to the cost of every ticket and call it a day. Instead Muricans gotta save that $25! It's like the discount airlines where the seat starts at $39, but if you want a PRESSURIZED CABIN.....whoa buddy, now we're at $239. Trained pilot? $50. Maintained aircraft? Another hundo. Any luggage? Hundo.

There is not a fundamental right to fly in a chair in the sky at 550 mph for next to nothing. Just pay the fuck up or get in your car.

Desertbreh
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 pm

I would gladly pay a 15% premium on EVERY TICKET to fly on an airline that didn't cram me in like a sardine, gouge for "bag fees" and everything else they can think of to make that "base ticket" cheap.
One thing I am happy with airlines saving money on though is HOT FOOD. Stuff tasted horrible, stunk up the plane, and I have no problem paying 8 bucks for a cracker and cheese box.

troyguitar
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Screaming Dorito

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:25 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Bender wrote:
Just eliminate the bag fees, and add $25.00 to the cost of every ticket and call it a day. Instead Muricans gotta save that $25! It's like the discount airlines where the seat starts at $39, but if you want a PRESSURIZED CABIN.....whoa buddy, now we're at $239. Trained pilot? $50. Maintained aircraft? Another hundo. Any luggage? Hundo.

There is not a fundamental right to fly in a chair in the sky at 550 mph for next to nothing. Just pay the fuck up or get in your car.
Spoken like a rich old white bro.

• Information