DFD Travelogue - From 7-11 to the Arctic - Post it up

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:12 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Dang. Both Paris hotels I'm familiar with are sold out from Sept 21 through the 28th. Did you accidentally pick a popular week?

The 6 day Paris pass is a good deal. It should also include Metro and bus transportation too, no?

Train prices and car rental seem in line.
Last week of September is "Fashion Week" :disgust: :whocares: :gay:

It seems like there's always something going on, but yeah that week has a lot of shit either sold out or priced much higher than the next week.

We're :notsure: on the Paris pass, it is an extra $200-275/person, $400-550 total vs the Paris *museum* pass that we've quoted. Need to do the :math: on that one vs separate museum and transit passes, especially since we'll be returning for a second week.
:disgust:
:mahtroy: luck strikes again. You picked a busy, :waxer: week to go to Paris even though it's technically in the shoulder season. :rage:

You may have already done so, but if not you might want to try looking for a hotel in the 5th Arrondissement, in the Latin Quarter. Things tend to be a bit cheaper and there's a slightly different vibe there. Even the 6th might work as well. You can walk to Ile de la Cite or the Louvre or even Place des Vosges from either one, if you want.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:37 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:39 pm We decided to put the 2 week euro-trip on ice until I feel more comfortable leaving the country for 2 weeks and missing that much work.

Instead, Im flying us to Austin for F1 instead of driving all over. Then flying sunday night after the race to Vegas. Never been to vegas. Still figuring which hotel to :waxer: on while being :scrooge: on the strip.

Also planning a show to see and the hoover dam excursion which is 6 hours 1 day.

After that, I am trying to figure the best way to fly to Fairbanks AK and find a rural resort to see magnetic lights in the sky at night. Will be ~4 days in Vegas and ~4 days in AK.
This is better than any show in Vegas. The HD is fascinating from any angle.
good to hear. We are excited. I wanted to do a helicopter tour but wife was all about walking IN it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:01 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:37 pm

This is better than any show in Vegas. The HD is fascinating from any angle.
good to hear. We are excited. I wanted to do a helicopter tour but wife was all about walking IN it.
Yeah its VFC. Also the Art Deco architecture on the visible parts is bad ass.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:43 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:12 pm

Last week of September is "Fashion Week" :disgust: :whocares: :gay:

It seems like there's always something going on, but yeah that week has a lot of shit either sold out or priced much higher than the next week.

We're :notsure: on the Paris pass, it is an extra $200-275/person, $400-550 total vs the Paris *museum* pass that we've quoted. Need to do the :math: on that one vs separate museum and transit passes, especially since we'll be returning for a second week.
:mahtroy: luck strikes again. You picked a busy, :waxer: week to go to Paris even though it's technically in the shoulder season. :rage:

You may have already done so, but if not you might want to try looking for a hotel in the 5th Arrondissement, in the Latin Quarter. Things tend to be a bit cheaper and there's a slightly different vibe there. Even the 6th might work as well. You can walk to Ile de la Cite or the Louvre or even Place des Vosges from either one, if you want.
:dat:

Realistically the prices aren't that much different in the grand scheme. An extra $500 on top of nearly $10000 all-in isn't that big of a change... what I don't understand is how people claim to do the same thing for 1/3 of what we're spending - and we're ignoring all :waxer: hotels and all Michelin-starred restaurants. The cheapest of cheap hotels might save us $1000 total, how do we save $5000?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

When I travel I never have to pay for anything because I'm such a cool ass motherfucker. That might explain the price disparities you are referencing.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:24 pm When I travel I never have to pay for anything because I'm such a cool ass motherfucker. That might explain the price disparities you are referencing.
Excuse me sir, you forgot your white privilege
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:08 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Yeah its VFC. Also the Art Deco architecture on the visible parts is bad ass.
YES! Extremely cool.

wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:14 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:43 pm

:dat:

Realistically the prices aren't that much different in the grand scheme. An extra $500 on top of nearly $10000 all-in isn't that big of a change... what I don't understand is how people claim to do the same thing for 1/3 of what we're spending - and we're ignoring all :waxer: hotels and all Michelin-starred restaurants. The cheapest of cheap hotels might save us $1000 total, how do we save $5000?
Go for less time and go in late fall or winter. We did 8 days in Italy in November for ~$2800 all in total for both of us. A week in Berlin last December was also a bit under $3k all in. Honestly, $3400/week for 2 during busy time is not terrible. I bet if you picked up your same exact itinerary and moved it up 6-10 weeks it'll save you some real coin.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:24 pm When I travel I never have to pay for anything because I'm such a cool ass motherfucker. That might explain the price disparities you are referencing.
Dirk Divebomber at your service to make your humble establishment cooler with my mere presence.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I'm still waiting on Herr Dirk to let me know sometime when he's in San Diego.
wap

Just looked up a hotel I stayed at before in the 5th and it was about $1056 for 7 days from 2 November. Not that much difference but $300 is $300. Air fare might be even more of a savings.
https://secure.reservit.com/front5746/f ... 1532469174
troyguitar

wap wrote:Just looked up a hotel I stayed at before in the 5th and it was about $1056 for 7 days from 2 November. Not that much difference but $300 is $300. Air fare might be even more of a savings.
Airfare is definitely part of it. Going from a "real" city costs less than half of what it costs from anywhere within a few hours drive of our house, over $1000 savings right there. I'm ready to move.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:10 pm
wap wrote:Just looked up a hotel I stayed at before in the 5th and it was about $1056 for 7 days from 2 November. Not that much difference but $300 is $300. Air fare might be even more of a savings.
Airfare is definitely part of it. Going from a "real" city costs less than half of what it costs from anywhere within a few hours drive of our house, over $1000 savings right there. I'm ready to move.
Oh yea, right. BFE tax on travel right there. :disgust: Hopefully your next address will be within 30-60 minutes of a real international airport.
razr390

Still, a packed without hostel-ing 2.5 week trip to Europe for $6,xxx isn’t so bad all things considered.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:11 pm Still, a packed without hostel-ing 2.5 week trip to Europe for $6,xxx isn’t so bad all things considered.
Not at all.
razr390

wap wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:11 pm Still, a packed without hostel-ing 2.5 week trip to Europe for $6,xxx isn’t so bad all things considered.
Not at all.
:yeahok: :waxer: :gtfo: with that :sass: attitude. :troywax: or bust. We going to ME HE CO
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:Still, a packed without hostel-ing 2.5 week trip to Europe for $6,xxx isn’t so bad all things considered.
Eh, probably more like OVER NINE THOUSAND! dollars all-in. That's why this will be my only vacation until I retire. It'll be worth it to decide whether to try to move to France :doe:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:38 pm
razr390 wrote:Still, a packed without hostel-ing 2.5 week trip to Europe for $6,xxx isn’t so bad all things considered.
Eh, probably more like OVER NINE THOUSAND! dollars all-in. That's why this will be my only vacation until I retire. It'll be worth it to decide whether to try to move to France :doe:
So changing the dates is not an option then?
wap

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm

Not at all.
:yeahok: :waxer: :gtfo: with that :sass: attitude. :troywax: or bust. We going to ME HE CO
:wat:
troyguitar

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:38 pm Eh, probably more like OVER NINE THOUSAND! dollars all-in. That's why this will be my only vacation until I retire. It'll be worth it to decide whether to try to move to France :doe:
It's technically possible but saving $500 out of $10000 vs having statistically worse weather seems like a poor compromise. :iono:

Remember that I'm only half of this and that the wife has real issues with cold weather, even 50F can freeze her. Otherwise I'd be fine with crappy hostels in the winter by myself...
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:47 pm
wap wrote:
It's technically possible but saving $500 out of $10000 vs having statistically worse weather seems like a poor compromise. :iono:

Remember that I'm only half of this and that the wife has real issues with cold weather, even 50F can freeze her. Otherwise I'd be fine with crappy hostels in the winter by myself...
Right. Wife issues are real. How about moving it up a week or 2, to the weeks before Fashion Week? r
troyguitar

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:47 pm It's technically possible but saving $500 out of $10000 vs having statistically worse weather seems like a poor compromise. :iono:

Right. Wife issues are real. How about moving it up a week or 2, to the weeks before Fashion Week? r
Work stuff the week before for her, then labor day is busy for me. This is the best we can do besides pushing it back 2 more weeks to avoid the last weekend of September which is the main part of fashion week. I'm just hoping that I get to see some supermodels wandering the city... :boner:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:55 pm
wap wrote:
Work stuff the week before for her, then labor day is busy for me. This is the best we can do besides pushing it back 2 more weeks to avoid the last weekend of September which is the main part of fashion week. I'm just hoping that I get to see some supermodels wandering the city... :boner:
Hmmm, if you're unwilling or unable to go in early October then I guess you're stuck paying what you're paying. :iono:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

- R U read for the summer???? :)

Hi from Mallorca. Happy summer to all! :)

wap

Davestr wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:22 am - R U read for the summer???? :)

Hi from Mallorca. Happy summer to all! :)

:fuckyeah:
Back in your favorite place, I see. :lol:
:notbad:

You've still got to try the Eastern Med one of these days. :D