What's in Charlotte?

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:58 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:53 pm Their house was cheap doe, esp for new construction. I guess some bs is to be expected for cheap price.
:dat:

Half of the windows in our current place are cheaply made and/or poorly installed such that you can't fully open them or it takes a ridiculous effort to do so, like you feel like you're going to break something. I never open windows anyway, we have climate control for a reason. :aintcare:
That's every window in my house. They were replaced in the... 80s maybe... with cheap shit vinyl garbage windows. I replaced the pane on one to install my dryer vent hose, and I'm pretty sure the triple pane plexiglass/wood window I built is better than the crap vinyl one it replaced.

I don't have climate control doe. Just a massive wall unit AC.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:01 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:58 pm

:dat:

Half of the windows in our current place are cheaply made and/or poorly installed such that you can't fully open them or it takes a ridiculous effort to do so, like you feel like you're going to break something. I never open windows anyway, we have climate control for a reason. :aintcare:
That's every window in my house. They were replaced in the... 80s maybe... with cheap shit vinyl garbage windows. I replaced the pane on one to install my dryer vent hose, and I'm pretty sure the triple pane plexiglass/wood window I built is better than the crap vinyl one it replaced.

I don't have climate control doe. Just a massive wall unit AC.
These are all brand new :doe:

I don't know what they are and don't really care. The aren't drafty, so they get the job done.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

(
wap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:38 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:35 pm

My name is Eric and I am wrong.
Batting 1000 there, Dirk. You even got your fucking name wrong. :disappoint:
:(
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:50 pm

:lolol: :lolgasm: POTD
:bow:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 pm (

:(
:trollface:

:wub:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:25 pm

I apparently don't even know what McMansion means - and don't necessarily dislike them either. :iono:
The term refers to the oversize (for the lot) homes that were thrown up quickly during the heated-up real estate market back in the mid-late aughts. They were churned out so quickly, often with :notsure: build quality that it was like buying from McDoe. Their style also tended to be on the ostentatious side, which made them :disgust: and not fit in well in the neighborhoods they were often shoehorned into.
McMansion is different for everyone.
For me it's using obviously cheap materials to maximize square footage you can build and shit design.

IE, having 4 bathrooms all with the most basic of basic bitch american standard faucets (in gold, of course)
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Caring about faucets is :rolleyes: :doe:

If they work, they're good.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:58 am Caring about faucets is :rolleyes: :doe:

whatever.

at some point, once over the basic :scrooge: 'hey it works' poverty needs, design IS important. People like things that look nice, myself included.

to that point, its why I dont like mcmansions. the use the cheapest of everything to maximize square footage to a price, at the cost of design & build quality everywhere else.

is your Wife not an artichect? I'd bet she cares about this shit.....
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:58 am Caring about faucets is :rolleyes: :doe:

whatever.

at some point, once over the basic :scrooge: 'hey it works' poverty needs, design IS important. People like things that look nice, myself included.

to that point, its why I dont like mcmansions. the use the cheapest of everything to maximize square footage to a price, at the cost of design & build quality everywhere else.

If you already have everything else that you want and still somehow have money to blow, then sure. We're not there, dunno if we ever will be. Function > form.

Building a new place is an entirely different situation where an extra few grand on some nicer stuff might make sense, but those choices don't exist when shopping existing places.

Would you rather have a nice place that does 2/3 of what you want or a mediocre place that does it all? Assume you cannot afford both - or that it doesn't exist.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: whatever.

If you already have everything else that you want and still somehow have money to blow, then sure. We're not there, dunno if we ever will be. Function > form.

Building a new place is an entirely different situation where an extra few grand on some nicer stuff might make sense, but those choices don't exist when shopping existing places.

Would you rather have a nice place that does 2/3 of what you want or a mediocre place that does it all? Assume you cannot afford both - or that it doesn't exist.
:word:

:fax: situation is different, the area is cheap AF so you can get a nice custom house for $300k. $300k in Charlotte gets you a McMansion in the boonies and that just is what it is. There are way worse places to be in daily than a nice, comfortable, appropriate sized house with cheap fixtures.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It's better than $300k getting you a studio apartment in the ghetto in Los Angeles or something.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

This thread makes me want to move to Charlotte. It wouldn't be terribly difficult as Charlotte is the headquarters for my niche in the industry. Hmmmmm.... I like my jerb, especially my boss, a lot doe.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 am If you already have everything else that you want and still somehow have money to blow, then sure. We're not there, dunno if we ever will be. Function > form.

sure, i get that RE: existing houses
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 am Would you rather have a nice place that does 2/3 of what you want or a mediocre place that does it all? Assume you cannot afford both - or that it doesn't exist.
Id persoanly rather a nice place that does 2/3 of what I want/need and make compromises on the other third.

IE I'd love a huge shop/garage, but i had to work with my lot. I got about 2/3 if what I'd want ideally, lol.

Same thing with the house itself. I know the :fax: paradise looks perfect and we did everything just so, but we had to also make concessions to money, space, time.... it's about 2/3's of what I'd consider "perfect".
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 am If you already have everything else that you want and still somehow have money to blow, then sure. We're not there, dunno if we ever will be. Function > form.

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 am Would you rather have a nice place that does 2/3 of what you want or a mediocre place that does it all? Assume you cannot afford both - or that it doesn't exist.
Id persoanly rather a nice place that does 2/3 of what I want/need and make compromises on the other third.

IE I'd love a huge shop/garage, but i had to work with my lot. I got about 2/3 if what I'd want ideally, lol.

Same thing with the house itself. I know the :fax: paradise looks perfect and we did everything just so, but we had to also make concessions to money, space, time.... it's about 2/3's of what I'd consider "perfect".
Yeah, I'll never understand going for the "nice" thing that doesn't even do what you want vs the thing that works as desired for the same price.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:01 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

Yeah, I'll never understand going for the "nice" thing that doesn't even do what you want vs the thing that works as desired for the same price.
Life is compromise man. :iono:
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:01 am Yeah, I'll never understand going for the "nice" thing that doesn't even do what you want vs the thing that works as desired for the same price.
Life is compromise man. :iono:
Making things work takes priority over making them pretty :doe:
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:36 am
wap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm

The term refers to the oversize (for the lot) homes that were thrown up quickly during the heated-up real estate market back in the mid-late aughts. They were churned out so quickly, often with :notsure: build quality that it was like buying from McDoe. Their style also tended to be on the ostentatious side, which made them :disgust: and not fit in well in the neighborhoods they were often shoehorned into.
For me it's using obviously cheap materials to maximize square footage you can build and shit design.

IE, having 4 bathrooms all with the most basic of basic bitch american standard faucets (in gold, of course)
It has a standard definition :doe:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMansion
Certainly cheap materials is part of the Mcmansion ethos.
McMansion is a pejorative term for a large "mass-produced" dwelling, constructed with low-quality materials and craftsmanship, using a mishmash of architectural symbols to invoke connotations of wealth or taste, executed via poorly thought-out exterior and interior design.
Tear-downs are also sometimes part of the equation:
The term "McMansion" is generally used to denote a new, or recent, multi-story house of no clear architectural style,[9] which prizes superficial appearance, and sheer size, over quality.

McMansion may refer to oversized and cheaply built homes developed at once in a subdivision, or refer to a dwelling that replaces a smaller house, in a neighborhood of smaller houses, which seems far too large for its lot. (Such a McMansion may lack side windows due to the proximity to the boundaries - another McMansion-related cliché.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:11 am

whatever.

Agreed. Aesthetics, while very personal, are also important.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:35 am This thread makes me want to move to Charlotte. It wouldn't be terribly difficult as Charlotte is the headquarters for my niche in the industry. Hmmmmm.... I like my jerb, especially my boss, a lot doe.
:doit:

There are a lot of :waxer: bank jobs there for sure. I wish I was a banker for the :troywax: but not really because I think I would hate that.

We could :boxodicks: and :stig: together.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:40 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:11 am

whatever.

The McMansions tend to look pretty good :doe: and have better aesthetics than some other things. In Charlotte what they are typically replacing are ugly '40-60s brick ranches.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:42 am
Apex wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:35 am This thread makes me want to move to Charlotte. It wouldn't be terribly difficult as Charlotte is the headquarters for my niche in the industry. Hmmmmm.... I like my jerb, especially my boss, a lot doe.
:doit:

There are a lot of :waxer: bank jobs there for sure. I wish I was a banker for the :troywax: but not really because I think I would hate that.

We could :boxodicks: and :stig: together.
:fuckyeah:

I might check out some jerb listings to see what's there. Wells and BoA are both HQ'd there, along with the team from a smaller company that I am working on product development with. Can't hurt to look, right?
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:44 am
wap wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:40 am

The McMansions tend to look pretty good :doe: and have better aesthetics than some other things. In Charlotte what they are typically replacing are ugly '40-60s brick ranches.
Yea many little postwar ranches, while typically solid and well-built (probably better built than most McMansions) are pretty much :whocares: style-wise.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 am

That potfiller really fucked the budget didn't it :sad:
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:13 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 am

That potfiller really fucked the budget didn't it :sad:
:hue:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

wap wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:28 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:36 am

It has a standard definition :doe:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMansion
Certainly cheap materials is part of the Mcmansion ethos.
McMansion is a pejorative term for a large "mass-produced" dwelling, constructed with low-quality materials and craftsmanship, using a mishmash of architectural symbols to invoke connotations of wealth or taste, executed via poorly thought-out exterior and interior design.
Tear-downs are also sometimes part of the equation:
The term "McMansion" is generally used to denote a new, or recent, multi-story house of no clear architectural style,[9] which prizes superficial appearance, and sheer size, over quality.

McMansion may refer to oversized and cheaply built homes developed at once in a subdivision, or refer to a dwelling that replaces a smaller house, in a neighborhood of smaller houses, which seems far too large for its lot. (Such a McMansion may lack side windows due to the proximity to the boundaries - another McMansion-related cliché.
All that. I was trying (for once) to not shit all over your post :wap:
:trollface:
brain go brrrrrr