What's in Charlotte?

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:17 pm
Agreed second place is pretty damn good.
Less than the supposed value of the house I'm living in and it slays it in terms of space, parking, land, etc. I think it's a nice house.
It's kind of in the boonies :doe: :notsure: if you'd like the area, but it would be perfect for Troy.
30 whole minutes to downtown is :disgust:

Might as well get some solar panels and build a bunker, you're on your own.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:09 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:10 pm

that's the mcmansionienst mcmansion i've seen in a long time. that house is 0/10 :nope:
was waiting for your response to this like :popcorn:
Yea you just knew it was coming.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

wap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:09 pm

was waiting for your response to this like :popcorn:
I apparently don't even know what McMansion means - and don't necessarily dislike them either. :iono:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:22 pm

It's kind of in the boonies :doe: :notsure: if you'd like the area, but it would be perfect for Troy.

:word:
And make sure you draw your drinking water upstream of the nearest creek to your bunker and :poop: downstream.

Cereally, I think being 30 minutes from downtown (in decent traffic) is pretty much ideal for us, and :mahtroy: Our distance can stretch to closer to an hour in shitty traffic so if yours is a real 30 minutes it's :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:25 pm

I apparently don't even know what McMansion means - and don't necessarily dislike them either. :iono:
:dat: :aintcare: if my house has custom Pinshit... also :aintcare: if it has a small yard, I'd probably prefer that.

I'm thinking the best thing for us may end up being one of the three story town houses with a two car garage on the first floor.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:31 pm

And make sure you draw your drinking water upstream of the nearest creek to your bunker and :poop: downstream.

Cereally, I think being 30 minutes from downtown (in decent traffic) is pretty much ideal for us, and :mahtroy: Our distance can stretch to closer to an hour in shitty traffic so if yours is a real 30 minutes it's :notbad:
I don't really know the traffic situation out there, but it's probably not too bad.

I live "25 minutes from downtown" but that easily stretches to an hour for the six hours per day or more that are rush hour. It's kind of disgust... one main road going through the area so it's always backed up and it makes going anywhere more than 5ish miles away a big pain in the ass at least half the time, which is why I don't really enjoy the area of Charlotte I'm in.
troyguitar

We currently live 35 minutes from downtown Lexington. I'm afraid to even attempt the trip there, I'll probably lose 2 of my oxen and get dysentery. I post on DFD via smoke signals.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:17 pm
Agreed second place is pretty damn good.
Less than the supposed value of the house I'm living in and it slays it in terms of space, parking, land, etc. I think it's a nice house.
Yeah I like being close to stuff. But it does sound ideal for Troy. Realistically 30 mins to downtown isn't bad. About as far as GF's parents live. As long as you're close to a grocery store and some other things like a bar and places to eat then it's good.
wap

The term refers to the oversize (for the lot) homes that were thrown up quickly during the heated-up real estate market back in the mid-late aughts. They were churned out so quickly, often with :notsure: build quality that it was like buying from McDoe. Their style also tended to be on the ostentatious side, which made them :disgust: and not fit in well in the neighborhoods they were often shoehorned into.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Yeah I like being close to stuff. But it does sound ideal for Troy. Realistically 30 mins to downtown isn't bad. About as far as GF's parents live. As long as you're close to a grocery store and some other things like a bar and places to eat then it's good.
The area was kind of rural when I was growing up but there's plenty there now as far as food, drink, shopping access. I actually know a guy who owns a brewery in Mint Hill.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:33 pm

I don't really know the traffic situation out there, but it's probably not too bad.

I live "25 minutes from downtown" but that easily stretches to an hour for the six hours per day or more that are rush hour. It's kind of disgust... one main road going through the area so it's always backed up and it makes going anywhere more than 5ish miles away a big pain in the ass at least half the time, which is why I don't really enjoy the area of Charlotte I'm in.
If you're not driving into the city then :whocares: as long as your side trips aren't getting :fullretard: too. Around Philly in the immediate suburbs all the roads are fully clogged between 3:30 PM and about 6:00 PM. So to go anywhere takes 3-4x as long as it should. Which is why I hate the immediate Philly burbs. IDK if Charlotte is there yet :doe:
wap

Yea I remember you commenting on that :disgust: aspect of your area. Hopefully you 2 can eventually buy a new place together in an area you both like.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:36 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:34 pm

The area was kind of rural when I was growing up but there's plenty there now as far as food, drink, shopping access. I actually know a guy who owns a brewery in Mint Hill.
:notbad: I prefer small towns really. They have a bit of what the city offers in a more manageable size and with typically far less traffic.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:31 pm

:dat: :aintcare: if my house has custom Pinshit... also :aintcare: if it has a small yard, I'd probably prefer that.

I'm thinking the best thing for us may end up being one of the three story town houses with a two car garage on the first floor.
My ideal :haus: would be a ~2000 sq ft beige/gray box with a metal roof and a 4-6 car attached garage/shop. There would be no yard, the building itself would stretch across the entire property and the garage doors would open directly to the street.

The inside could be nice as hell but I give absolutely zero fucks about the outside and my goal is always to spend as close to zero time and money on yard/exterior crap.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:34 pm

We currently live 35 minutes from downtown Lexington. I'm afraid to even attempt the trip there, I'll probably lose 2 of my oxen and get dysentery. I post on DFD via smoke signals.
I :lolol: 'd.

I hope you bring much shot and powder. You must run into bands of murderous brigands too, no?
troyguitar

wap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm

The term refers to the oversize (for the lot) homes that were thrown up quickly during the heated-up real estate market back in the mid-late aughts. They were churned out so quickly, often with :notsure: build quality that it was like buying from McDoe. Their style also tended to be on the ostentatious side, which made them :disgust: and not fit in well in the neighborhoods they were often shoehorned into.
Oversized for the lot is exactly what I want. Ideal yard size is exactly zero.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:40 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm

:mahtroy: :aintcare: about no :bs: curb appeal.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:36 pm

If you're not driving into the city then :whocares: as long as your side trips aren't getting :fullretard: too. Around Philly in the immediate suburbs all the roads are fully clogged between 3:30 PM and about 6:00 PM. So to go anywhere takes 3-4x as long as it should. Which is why I hate the immediate Philly burbs. IDK if Charlotte is there yet :doe:
Ours is probably worse than the actual close 'burbs... it's :bs:

It's partially because we live by the lake :doe: , big ass body of water means there's nowhere to put alternative routes. I don't think :mahtroy: proposed area will be as bad, I'd actually happily live there over our current location, less traffic :bs: , cheaper homes but still perfectly fine neighborhoods.

The one thing I do like a lot about my immediate area is there is a nice old small town center with some good eateries, bars, breweries, a barber shop, grocery stores. It's really :notbad: but I like to go elsewhere mostly to see friends and family and just do other stuff the city as a whole has to offer. My previous shit hole was quite centrally located so it was quick to get anywhere, pretty much any time unless you were trying to drive to the suburbs in the afternoon rush hour.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:44 pm Epic option:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 964#photo2

More realistic:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 277#photo0

Apparently realtor.com's calculator defaults to thinking that the HOA fees are all monthly, but these two for example are really annual fees at $520 and $375 currently. There ain't much out there with more than a standard 20x20 garage.
:bruh: , how are you not crushing life on Friar Tuck? 3 car garage (with separate escape rear door to smoke weed) enhanced postage stamp with pergola, FLAT LOT, big FLAT driveway, really nice kitchen/living room area, 3 places to take a dump, nice separation from the human race......all for $279? That seems like a good deal to me, and a helluva lot more attractive than that place you posted first.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

wap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:45 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:40 pm

:dat:

What's the point?

I live in the house, not on the street.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Ours is probably worse than the actual close 'burbs... it's :bs:

It's partially because we live by the lake :doe: , big ass body of water means there's nowhere to put alternative routes. I don't think :mahtroy: proposed area will be as bad, I'd actually happily live there over our current location, less traffic :bs: , cheaper homes but still perfectly fine neighborhoods.

The one thing I do like a lot about my immediate area is there is a nice old small town center with some good eateries, bars, breweries, a barber shop, grocery stores. It's really :notbad: but I like to go elsewhere mostly to see friends and family and just do other stuff the city as a whole has to offer. My previous shit hole was quite centrally located so it was quick to get anywhere, pretty much any time unless you were trying to drive to the suburbs in the afternoon rush hour.
Yeah. I mean it sounds like your area isn't all that bad as long as you can deal with some traffic congestion. Got enough there to keep you happy where you are, and you're close to a lot of hiking and MTB trails and stuff which is fun. The area Troy is looking does sound really ideal for him though.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, the finishes in the Bricktopia "Epic" option are decidely non-epic. Once again, we have the whole "fox hunting, landed gentry, let's go down to [user not found]'s for a drink" brick front facade with a deck you will have to refinish every year, more fucking leaves than the Charlie Brown Halloween Special, rental poverty spec bathroom and kitchen finishes, a detached 2 car garage, where you are probably supposed to park your :minivan:
Another breeder special.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:57 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:45 pm

What's the point?

No yard upkeep is nice.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:06 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:57 pm

What's the point?

No yard upkeep is nice.
There's a :manuel: for dat.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:06 pm Also, the finishes in the Bricktopia "Epic" option are decidely non-epic. Once again, we have the whole "fox hunting, landed gentry, let's go down to [user not found]'s for a drink" brick front facade with a deck you will have to refinish every year, more fucking leaves than the Charlie Brown Halloween Special, rental poverty spec bathroom and kitchen finishes, a detached 2 car garage, where you are probably supposed to park your :minivan:
Another breeder special.
If that's what's on the market then that's what's on the market :doe:
I don't think it would be all that bad. Yeah the kitchen is poverty. You could re-do it if you want and add value to the house. Or not I'm sure it's functional as-is. :iono: We lived in a McMansion-ish house one time and it wasn't all that bad. Biggest issue were shoddy build quality bs problems but labor was dirt cheap in San Antonio so my parent's didn't mind that much.

Agreed on the deck though. Exposed wood is :disgust: to maintain.