What's in Charlotte?

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:13 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 am

sure, i get that RE: existing houses

Id persoanly rather a nice place that does 2/3 of what I want/need and make compromises on the other third.

IE I'd love a huge shop/garage, but i had to work with my lot. I got about 2/3 if what I'd want ideally, lol.

Same thing with the house itself. I know the :fax: paradise looks perfect and we did everything just so, but we had to also make concessions to money, space, time.... it's about 2/3's of what I'd consider "perfect".
That potfiller really fucked the budget didn't it :sad:
It was not much :troywax: just a PITA to get them to install it correctly.
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:09 pm
wap wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:28 am
It has a standard definition :doe:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMansion
Certainly cheap materials is part of the Mcmansion ethos.

Tear-downs are also sometimes part of the equation:

All that. I was trying (for once) to not shit all over your post :wap:
:trollface:
I'm sure that won't last.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:36 pm

:poop:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:poop:
wap wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Right you are
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/671 ... e/44030598

:notbad: XL garage with attached shop, and neighborhood looks decent and would be quiet

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/641 ... e/44019493

Also :notbad: nice neighborhood
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote:https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/671 ... e/44030598

:notbad: XL garage with attached shop, and neighborhood looks decent and would be quiet

That's pretty near where I grew up, especially the first one. :notbad: find, that's actually encouraging for me.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:53 pm https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/671 ... e/44030598

Yeah, if you're cool with only 2 cars then there are tons of options and no need to even spend over $200k.

I'd rather have the "crappy" 3-car McMansion with dual sinks in the master bath and no trees/landscaping to maintain, personally. Everyday convenience > charm.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:53 pm https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/671 ... e/44030598

Yeah, if you're cool with only 2 cars then there are tons of options and no need to even spend over $200k.

I'd rather have the "crappy" 3-car McMansion with dual sinks in the master bath and no trees/landscaping to maintain, personally. Everyday convenience > charm.
ugh those shops :drool:
I can forgive the rest of the house
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Buy a lot and build a hangar to live in.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:10 pm Buy a lot and build a hangar to live in.
That would be ideal IF we could know that we'd never need to move again. Not cheap and it has near zero resale value, so you can never move again.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Hmmm 2 poorvettes in charlotte and 2 turbo yaris’ in Nova. Whats happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 pm

I thought the shops were pretty ideal :iono:
I bet you could fit the Mister Two in there with the other cars as well. Or just say fuck it to the minivan and park that outside.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:46 pm

I bet you could fit the Mister Two in there with the other cars as well. Or just say fuck it to the minivan and park that outside.
Ideal would have 3+ doors so I wouldn't have to play musical cars to get anything in or out of there.

If shit has to live outside, then I might as well stick to the :scrooge: places like the one we live in now - and sell my junk and go back to a single car, because fuck letting my stuff rot outside.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

droll is a good thing :wasteful: , like mmm look at that beer :drool: or check out dem :tits: :drool:
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Ideal would have 3+ doors so I wouldn't have to play musical cars to get anything in or out of there.

If shit has to live outside, then I might as well stick to the :scrooge: places like the one we live in now - and sell my junk and go back to a single car, because fuck letting my stuff rot outside.
Yeah if you’re that set on 3 car garage then stand firm on it. More listings should pop up in the spring.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:43 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Yeah if you’re that set on 3 car garage then stand firm on it. More listings should pop up in the spring.
I'm actually split on it - but I think I'd rather either stay under $200k with a 2-car garage or under $300k for a 3-car. Whether it's really worth all that extra money and compromise (because selection is extremely limited) to me is not clear at this point. I kind of want to go back to only having the single stock-ish new-ish car and :aintcare: for awhile, still doing autox but perhaps 10-20 days a year instead of 30-40. More time to spend on music/work/whatever could be nice. Then, later when time and money are more abundant, get back into it with the :fuckyeah: :stig: motorcycle-powered car.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:53 pm
troyguitar wrote:
I'm actually split on it - but I think I'd rather either stay under $200k with a 2-car garage or under $300k for a 3-car. Whether it's really worth all that extra money and compromise (because selection is extremely limited) to me is not clear at this point. I kind of want to go back to only having the single stock-ish new-ish car and :aintcare: for awhile, still doing autox but perhaps 10-20 days a year instead of 30-40. More time to spend on music/work/whatever could be nice. Then, later when time and money are more abundant, get back into it with the :fuckyeah: :stig: motorcycle-powered car.
Selection will open up drastically come March. People don't list houses this time of year. Might still be a compromise but it's worth keeping an open mind till then
:dat: The holidays are not selling season. Spring and summer are going to be your best bets as people sell and move to get into the right school districts.
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:53 pm Selection will open up drastically come March. People don't list houses this time of year. Might still be a compromise but it's worth keeping an open mind till then
:dat: The holidays are not selling season. Spring and summer are going to be your best bets as people sell and move to get into the right school districts.
I'm not shopping now, just trying to get an idea of the market. I doubt prices or features at a given price will change much, just more selection (and competition) in the spring/summer right?
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote:I'm not shopping now, just trying to get an idea of the market. I doubt prices or features at a given price will change much, just more selection (and competition) in the spring/summer right?
Pretty much. If you see 10% of the houses out there right now meet your price and preferences, that'll be the same as in March, just a bigger 10%.
:word:

Seems like we'll be able to find something we like, but spend a bit more than we'd prefer. Overall that's pretty damn good, especially compared to CA where it was 3x or more what we wanted to spend just to get half of what we want.

I'll still look for 3 car garages but probably will die without ever owning anything that big.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote::word:

Seems like we'll be able to find something we like, but spend a bit more than we'd prefer. Overall that's pretty damn good, especially compared to CA where it was 3x or more what we wanted to spend just to get half of what we want.

I'll still look for 3 car garages but probably will die without ever owning anything that big.
And ultimately they cover your ass if the market tanks. Get what you want as long as you can afford it monthly.
Only partly true, but yeah. Still gotta be OK with blowing epic money on a down payment and "rent" every month, which we really aren't - the KY house at $150k is WAY easier to live with than the PA house was at $270k. Both were "affordable" but the cheaper place doesn't stress me out nearly as much.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote:Only partly true, but yeah. Still gotta be OK with blowing epic money on a down payment and "rent" every month, which we really aren't - the KY house at $150k is WAY easier to live with than the PA house was at $270k. Both were "affordable" but the cheaper place doesn't stress me out nearly as much.
Can you do low amount down and plan on being negative equity and making it their problem?
PMI would be all wasted cash :doe:

We aren't bitcoin billionaires making 10+% annually on our money, we need Robutt Inc to manage it for us.