Wheeling Thread: 4x4 Content

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:42 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm

In4factory hidden winch mount.
It's something I've been pushing for, but this trip changed my mind.

Look at how that truck is stuck. If he had a front winch, it would have been buried in mud and nearly completely worthless, especially since pulling forward would have made the situation worse. The only way out was to pull backward.

We rented a receiver mounted winch, and that's really the way to go. I actually bought one on a black friday deal, along with a front receiver mount. Being able to mount the winch to the front or back depending on the situation would be WAY more useful that having something permanently mounted on the front. Not to mention, you can leave it at home for most of the time when you're not wheeling.
Uh, marketing a winch has absolutely ZERO to do with the realities of off roading. Mall so hard. So keep pushing.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Most days I find parking that a full size aircraft carrier Silverado could fit into. About 1/10 days I need to wedge my car into a tiny spot. Those days a much longer vehicle would be a real problem. Or any day I come home after like 7:30 PM, all the street spots are taken. I dunno maybe I'm just being :crang: about it. If I wanted a truck bad enough I bet I could make it work out. Some people in my hood have pickups, granted most of them are totally clapped out (even the brand new ones).

I think a 4Runner would be easier to live with in the city, really.
Full sizers blow. I will never have another one after getting used to my midsizer. I think you'd be amazed by how maneuverable it really is.

Especially wheeling. Some areas of the trails we did were super narrow. Like big trees on either side narrow. There's no way a full size truck would have fit.
Yeah I’ve driven a full size in South Philly and it’s rather lol. It can’t make turns because the streets are too narrow and truck is too long. They end up being 3 point turns :gay:
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:47 pm

Look at how that truck is stuck. If he had a front winch, it would have been buried in mud and nearly completely worthless, especially since pulling forward would have made the situation worse. The only way out was to pull backward.

We rented a receiver mounted winch, and that's really the way to go. I actually bought one on a black friday deal, along with a front receiver mount. Being able to mount the winch to the front or back depending on the situation would be WAY more useful that having something permanently mounted on the front. Not to mention, you can leave it at home for most of the time when you're not wheeling.
Uh, marketing a winch has absolutely ZERO to do with the realities of off roading. Mall so hard. So keep pushing.
Leave it at home gets you ZERO added mall points.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Oh, I'm pushing for it on the next gen truck for sure. Front mounted winches are serious scene points.

But I also want to work a receiver into our next nudge bar so it's functional for guys that actually off-road. I think doing things that build us credibility with people that actually do this stuff will take us far.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Chris where else have you taken it?
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:53 pm

Leave it at home gets you ZERO added mall points.
Yea, true.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:53 pm Chris where else have you taken it?
A few other places in Michigan. Unfortunately, no photos of those.

There's an offroad park about an hour north of me that's fun. Been a few times there. Then there's a ton of trails in the northern lower peninsula to explore. We've spent a few days exploring those in the past, which was particularly fun when the fall colors were in full blast.

Nothing as challenging as Drummond yet.

In the next year, I'll get it to the sand dunes on the west side of the state, get my epic overland trip in the upper peninsula, hit Drummond Island again in the fall, and with any luck, explore something south like the Daniel Boon trail.

I fucking love wheeling. It's something both Infamous and I enjoy, the dog can come along, it's outdoors, challenging, everything. I really missed this hobby.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:58 pm
Full sizers blow. I will never have another one after getting used to my midsizer. I think you'd be amazed by how maneuverable it really is.

Especially wheeling. Some areas of the trails we did were super narrow. Like big trees on either side narrow. There's no way a full size truck would have fit.
Man this is what I tried to tell you. Midsize is where it be at. :mahtroy:
I got used to my Silverado, and it was fine for being so cheap, but day to day usability and overall enjoyment is with the midsizer.

I am constrained with my pinshitting, doe. The Silverado was better for carrying big shit.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Most days I find parking that a full size aircraft carrier Silverado could fit into. About 1/10 days I need to wedge my car into a tiny spot. Those days a much longer vehicle would be a real problem. Or any day I come home after like 7:30 PM, all the street spots are taken. I dunno maybe I'm just being :crang: about it. If I wanted a truck bad enough I bet I could make it work out. Some people in my hood have pickups, granted most of them are totally clapped out (even the brand new ones).

I think a 4Runner would be easier to live with in the city, really.

This may not be as related to trucks, but I can relate when my dad downgraded his Expedition EL to an Explorer. Expedition is roughly an f150 chassis wise anyway and boy, it felt like i'm driving a GTI in comparison.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit, so glad to see you back posting up stuff like this.; makes me want to get out wheeling soon. Just need a few bucks thrown at wifey's Grand Cherokee in the spring.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:50 pm Detroit, so glad to see you back posting up stuff like this.; makes me want to get out wheeling soon. Just need a few bucks thrown at wifey's Grand Cherokee in the spring.
Get the GC out there!!
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:50 pm Detroit, so glad to see you back posting up stuff like this.; makes me want to get out wheeling soon. Just need a few bucks thrown at wifey's Grand Cherokee in the spring.
Get the GC out there!!
Will do!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 pm Get the GC out there!!
Will do!
:fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:40 pm
Detroit wrote: I got used to my Silverado, and it was fine for being so cheap, but day to day usability and overall enjoyment is with the midsizer.

I am constrained with my pinshitting, doe. The Silverado was better for carrying big shit.
Eh you can still haul stuff.

For sure. I could just fit more in the Silverado.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Epic pics & thread! I :wub: dis :truk: , it would make more sense then a jeep for overall ownership usage.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

I need to start looking around for more trails near me. There's got to be a ton. Also midsize master race
ChrisoftheNorth

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 pm I need to start looking around for more trails near me. There's got to be a ton. Also midsize master race
Yes. Get out there! Anyone with a 4x4 that doesn't do any wheeling is :butwhy:

Also, pics or it didn't happen.

If you're going to go explore, I highly recommend the app Avenza Maps. It's free to download, and it has most government issued maps available for free download (you pay for more advanced ones). It'll work even if you don't have phone reception, which can really save you if you get lost. Ask me how I know.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:41 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 pm I need to start looking around for more trails near me. There's got to be a ton. Also midsize master race
Did someone say master race? :ohmy:
:dat:

ChrisoftheNorth

:ohdang: , just found a few from our first wheeling adventure at the local offroad park. Infamous got all hipstagramy with them...

Definitely mud behind the tail lights. :doomed:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:15 am :ohdang: , just found a few from our first wheeling adventure at the local offroad park. Infamous got all hipstagramy with them...

Definitely mud behind the tail lights. :doomed:
:disgust: :disappoint:

Awesome pics :doe: :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex

Also, In4DFDgoeswheelin
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:10 am
Yes. Get out there! Anyone with a 4x4 that doesn't do any wheeling is :butwhy:

Also, pics or it didn't happen.

If you're going to go explore, I highly recommend the app Avenza Maps. It's free to download, and it has most government issued maps available for free download (you pay for more advanced ones). It'll work even if you don't have phone reception, which can really save you if you get lost. Ask me how I know.
Pro tip accepted
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:42 am Also, In4DFDgoeswheelin
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Nice pics man. :jelly:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:11 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:41 pm