General Plane Talk

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:45 pm
wap wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:30 pm

787's are great planes. I've only flown one, on LOT, but it was really nice. Triple 7's are nice too, as are A340's, but 747's are just special to me, maybe because I remember when they first came out and they were so :mindblown: yuuge to see them flying overhead.

Have you not flown one before?
Never! I figure this is one of my last chances.

I like the 787 as the anti-jet lag features work.
Oh wow, with as much international flying as you do I'm surprised you never managed to fly one. I must have been on a dozen 747's through the decades.

Yea, the better cabin atmosphere in the 787's is nice.

OK, old plane talk. Have you ever flown on a DC10? How about a 727?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:55 pm
wap wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:50 pm

Oh wow, with as much international flying as you do I'm surprised you never managed to fly one. I must have been on a dozen 747's through the decades.

Yea, the better cabin atmosphere in the 787's is nice.

OK, old plane talk. Have you ever flown on a DC10? How about a 727?
Both!
:impressive:
Ok, let's go back farther. How about a 707, or a DC8, the first 4 engine commercial jets?
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:41 am DC8 I've been on but never on a 707.

I've been on some weird french and Russian stuff in other parts of the world.
They're not too dissimilar, iirc. Flew a 707 on my first trip to Europe back in '73.

What French and Russian machines have you been on? I've flown on a TINY Dornier once. Is that French?
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:39 am
wap wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:57 am

They're not too dissimilar, iirc. Flew a 707 on my first trip to Europe back in '73.

What French and Russian machines have you been on? I've flown on a TINY Dornier once. Is that French?
I've been on a few ANs and ATRs of all sizes. Mostly in India. Mostly ancient. Mostly terribly maintaines. No thanks. The new ATRs are :notbad: for a prop.

747 was neat! BA definitely has some special touches with them over the rest of the fleet (better bedding being one thing). There were only about ten of us upstairs and we had two (gorgeous) flight attendants so the service was stellar.

Sitting in the first class lounge in Heathrow right now thanks to my American Airline status.
:fuckyeah:
Agreed ATR's are :notbad: Pics of seating area and gorgeous flight attendants?
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

never get tired of seeing it, one of my fav shots. Runways look so awesome and eerie when fog comes in.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:57 pm I forgot to post..oops.
:well:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 am
wap wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:43 pm

I will find some pics. Hold your proverbial horses.
:like:
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Was going to make a separate thread for this but eh dont think there are many avgeeks on here. Anyways I left my job as Manager for an aviation security company in one of the big three airports in the NYC area. Go ahead ask me anything airport, airline, security etc related as I hand in pretty much everything.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:26 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 pm

I'm sorta going out of my way to take this flight. I've grown to love the 787 so much but I want to fly in a 747 at least once.
I flew in a 747 from JFK to LHR several years ago - IIRC it was British Airways or Virgin.

My grandmother died on 12/29/99. We had to get the first flight we could to go back for her funeral and final arrangements. There was only one flight available.

Our flight departed at 5PM on 12/31/99 and was set to arrive in London 6AM on 1/1/00.

There were twelve other people on the flight thanks to Y2K. Once we were airborne, we were all moved upstairs, and we were all served first class meals. Several of them. Once 7PM hit (0000 GMT) they brought out a couple of bottles of champagne and popped them, and were handing it out saying "Happy new year!". Flight attendant handed me a glass... not being a champagne fan I said no, and said "besides, I'm only 16"

"Darling, it's after midnight at 30,000 feet on Y2K and we're not falling out of the sky. We've earned this"

I drank it.
I had this happen multiple times when I was around 14-15, I still got alcohol offered at some restaurants in Turkey and when I visited Greece too. I mean it's not like I got served enough amount to get buzzed even.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 am
wap wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:43 pm

I will find some pics. Hold your proverbial horses.
wap

09vdubgti wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:10 pm Was going to make a separate thread for this but eh dont think there are many avgeeks on here. Anyways I left my job as Manager for an aviation security company in one of the big three airports in the NYC area. Go ahead ask me anything airport, airline, security etc related as I hand in pretty much everything.
Does TSA really care about 3oz liquid bottles? About half the time I fly I forget to take my zip lock bag with liquids out of my bag to put into the tray to go through the X-ray machine and only once did they ask about it.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:59 pm
09vdubgti wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:10 pm Was going to make a separate thread for this but eh dont think there are many avgeeks on here. Anyways I left my job as Manager for an aviation security company in one of the big three airports in the NYC area. Go ahead ask me anything airport, airline, security etc related as I hand in pretty much everything.
Does TSA really care about 3oz liquid bottles? About half the time I fly I forget to take my zip lock bag with liquids out of my bag to put into the tray to go through the X-ray machine and only once did they ask about it.
I didnt work for TSA I may add. But to be honest, I honestly dont think many of them care about anything. They just worry about what time their break is and how much longer until they can clock out.

I actually went to school for environmental science, went and did some field work in montana for school. We had brought acid, that we would use for mineral classification. Nothing dangerous though. Still accidentally my peers that were in charge of it had it in their carry ons. It didnt hit them until we had already been in the sky that they had it on their carry on.
wap

09vdubgti wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:52 pm

I didnt work for TSA I may add. But to be honest, I honestly dont think many of them care about anything. They just worry about what time their break is and how much longer until they can clock out.

I actually went to school for environmental science, went and did some field work in montana for school. We had brought acid, that we would use for mineral classification. Nothing dangerous though. Still accidentally my peers that were in charge of it had it in their carry ons. It didnt hit them until we had already been in the sky that they had it on their carry on.
:disappoint:
I suspected as much.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

They are probably just screwing up.

If you have TSA Pre-Check you don't need to remove the liquids, or your laptop, or your shoes and belt. I would imagine many of them just forget that some passengers get a pass for these things and on others they are supposed to enforce the rules.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:55 pm

If you have TSA Pre-Check you don't need to remove the liquids, or your laptop, or your shoes and belt. I would imagine many of them just forget that some passengers get a pass for these things and on others they are supposed to enforce the rules.
Probably.
I've had Pre Check status before. It's :nice:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:37 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:55 pm

Probably.
I've had Pre Check status before. It's :nice:
Yeah, we paid for it since we were going to have about 8 flights that were coming up. Worth the money.... Saved us over an hour in line in Seattle alone.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Id like to add that Global Entry is only $99, $20 dollars more than pre-check. But it includes pre-check as well expedited entry when you return.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

You know what I miss the absolute most about the airport though (besides the icelandic flight attendants) is the sound, and rumble the GE-90's make upon start up.

My favorite part of the day was when our last flight of the day pushed back. At that hour its the only aircraft around, and very quiet around the terminal. Then pilots start engine one, then two.

Everything vibrates, the floor, the windows. The rumble and sudden deep bass it produces is something ill never forget.

Man will I miss engine start ups, oh man those 777's. In terms of engine noise nothing beats the GE-90.

The Trent 1000's and GENX, those are second. They make a great rumble too.

Third would be IMO, and this may be controversial but the RB211 in the 757. Those things are screamers.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

Bumping this thread to say I can’t wait to see the new 777X in the air.

Lately I’ve become a bit obsessed with having flown on the different airliners beside the standard 737/320s and here’s my list so far.

SAS 737-600
Air France A318
Icelandair 757
US 767
KLM 747-400
KLM 787
KLM 777
SAS/KLM A330
SAS A340

A350 should come later this year with either Lufthansa or SAS (delivery end of 19) but not sure how to do the A380.

Also, is there a chance still of flying on a MD80/DC9 in the US today? I believe Delta is still operating a few but I could be wrong.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

[user not found] wrote:
Swedish Chef wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:48 pm Bumping this thread to say I can’t wait to see the new 777X in the air.

Lately I’ve become a bit obsessed with having flown on the different airliners beside the standard 737/320s and here’s my list so far.

SAS 737-600
Air France A318
Icelandair 757
US 767
KLM 747-400
KLM 787
KLM 777
SAS/KLM A330
SAS A340

A350 should come later this year with either Lufthansa or SAS (delivery end of 19) but not sure how to do the A380.

Also, is there a chance still of flying on a MD80/DC9 in the US today? I believe Delta is still operating a few but I could be wrong.
Yes! American has just a couple MD80s and Delta has many 717s.

The 777x is so so exciting.
delta has a lot of md80s. Loud fuckers and they look like they are so rear heavy. Never liked flying on them much.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

rockchops wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm
[user not found] wrote:

delta has a lot of md80s. Loud fuckers and they look like they are so rear heavy. Never liked flying on them much.
That's all I ever used to get on Alaska from San Jose to Seattle. I hated that plane.
wap

Swedish Chef wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:48 pm Bumping this thread to say I can’t wait to see the new 777X in the air.

SAS 737-600
Air France A318
Icelandair 757
US 767
KLM 747-400
KLM 787
KLM 777
SAS/KLM A330
SAS A340

I believe American still flies some MD80's or Super 80's. Never really liked them, :doe: I think 737's are a better regional/intermediate plane.
I really like the Triple 7 so the X should be interesting. But I think my favorite plane ATM is the 787. Flew one on LOT a couple years ago and it was :megusta:
wap

rockchops wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm
[user not found] wrote:

Agreed. They've had an old, "tired" feeling for a while now.
wap

And talking about rear heavy, any of you old enough to have flown on 727's or DC10's? Or, and this is really reaching back, the Lockheed L-1011? :lol:
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

Thanks for the replies!

I don’t expect the MD80/DC9/717 to be comfortable at all but I just want to fly on one before they’re all retired.
None of the western European airlines are using them for example.