YOU CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO READ THIS THREAD!!! TRAVEL DEALZZZ

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Mario Kart

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:18 pm

dubshow wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:25 am
Anyone have any good :dills: on lodging in the UK?

I have like 2 credit cards, neither being ideal "travel cards". 1 has a low limit and the other is a gap clothes card.

1. I need a card I can get some cereal point on quickly
2. Card needs to have the travel protections over seas (not a bunch of bogus perks I'll never use or jump through hoops to make claims)
3. im real opposed to fees like on amex but am open minded if the money works.
4. i spend $1200-2k per month avg on CC now.

so far im looking at cap one or the equivalent chase sapphire. both should have around a $10k limit.

anything the hive mind of DFD can suggest?
Do you have one airline you can be loyal to?

Chase Sapphire is great if not.
Airline cards are excellent for miles if you want just miles and you want to be dedicated to one brand.
This is the worst kind of discrimination there is: the kind against me!

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:34 pm

Bender wrote:
dubshow wrote:

I have like 2 credit cards, neither being ideal "travel cards". 1 has a low limit and the other is a gap clothes card.

2. Card needs to have the travel protections over seas (not a bunch of bogus perks I'll never use or jump through hoops to make claims)

so far im looking at cap one or the equivalent chase sapphire. both should have around a $10k limit.

Airline cards are excellent for miles if you want just miles and you want to be dedicated to one brand.
nope, thats part of the problem. I fly out of 2 different cities and no great airline. My flights are too sporadic. Id liek to be loyal to southwest but they arent always the best option.
This post is illegal in the European Union.

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 pm

I've had a Chas Mileage Plus card for years but I'm gonna cancel it soon because I just signed up for a Cap One Venture One for 2 reasons: No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees, which add up quick if you travel overseas at all.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:41 pm

dubshow wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:34 pm
Bender wrote:

nope, thats part of the problem. I fly out of 2 different cities and no great airline. My flights are too sporadic. Id liek to be loyal to southwest but they arent always the best option.
Totally get that. Loyalty cards really box you in as well.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote:
I've had a Chas Mileage Plus card for years but I'm gonna cancel it soon because I just signed up for a Cap One Venture One for 2 reasons: No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees, which add up quick if you travel overseas at all.
:dat: is what I have too

wap

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Bender wrote:
wap wrote:
:fuckyeah: The :bender: seal of approval.

wap

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:56 pm

dubshow wrote:
As to this question, I've stayed at this place twice now, and found the second time that the place has been improved a lot. It's run by :amir: but the Indian restaurant is off the charts :drool: . It's also in Kensington, a great neighborhood, and is a very short walk from the Glaucester Road Tube stop, which is on several lines including the Jubilee Line which gets you directly to and from Heathrow. It's also on the District and Circle lines and those 3 will get you to most places you'd want to go in London. You can also walk to the Victoria and Albert and Natural History museums, if you're so inclined. There are also a couple of decent money exchange offices near by and a Waitrose and Boots (pharmacy and grocery store) across the street and a Sainsbury's (supermarket) down Cromwell road. which can all be handy to be near.

http://www.montanahotel.co.uk/

For my money, the Kensington/South Kensington area is about the best place to stay in London. I've stayed at 3 other hotels near here and this one had the best :dill: twice now. Don't know how the :dill: s are now, didn't check.

ymmv, etc.

Desertbreh
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:05 pm

dubshow wrote:

Everytime this comes up I recommend AMEX BLUE cash preferred. $75 annual fee but it pays you 6% back on groceries up to 5000/year and everybody has to eat. If you eat 5 grand worth of groceries/year that's +225 net on that alone. Varying cashback on other things, base is 1%

You won't like this waxer idea but the money works if you travel a bunch.
AMEX Platinum is a $550 annual fee BUT pays you back $200/year on the airline of your choice for bag fees and incidental gouging, gets you into most airport lounges, that saves $$$$ every time you don't have a $50 bill at airport eateries. ENORMOUS AMOUNTS of perks with this card you can read all about it. Its a charge card doe, can't carry a balance. No foreign currency charges.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:28 pm

wap wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:44 pm
Bender wrote:

:fuckyeah: The :bender: seal of approval.
perfect, i didnt realize it was fee free. i might have to look at it. Im :disgust: at signing up for a credit card.

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:30 pm

wap wrote:
dubshow wrote:
As to this question, I've stayed at this place twice now, and found the second time that the place has been improved a lot. It's run by :amir: but the Indian restaurant is off the charts :drool: . It's also in Kensington, a great neighborhood, and is a very short walk from the Glaucester Road Tube stop, which is on several lines including the Jubilee Line which gets you directly to and from Heathrow. It's also on the District and Circle lines and those 3 will get you to most places you'd want to go in London. You can also walk to the Victoria and Albert and Natural History museums, if you're so inclined. There are also a couple of decent money exchange offices near by and a Waitrose and Boots (pharmacy and grocery store) across the street and a Sainsbury's (supermarket) down Cromwell road. which can all be handy to be near.

For my money, the Kensington/South Kensington area is about the best place to stay in London. I've stayed at 3 other hotels near here and this one had the best :dill: twice now. Don't know how the :dill: s are now, didn't check.

ymmv, etc.
that helpful review almost makes up for our greatly differing world outlooks. Thanks kind :wap:

wap

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 pm

dubshow wrote:
wap wrote:

ymmv, etc.
that helpful review almost makes up for our greatly differing world outlooks. Thanks kind :wap:
Almost? :wtf: People with differing world outlooks can't be civil and get along?

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:48 pm

wap wrote:
dubshow wrote:

Almost? :wtf: People with differing world outlooks can't be civil and get along?
:sissyfight:

Desertbreh
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm

wap wrote:
dubshow wrote:

Not lately pal.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

wap

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm
wap wrote:

Not lately pal.
:(

• Information