Canyonlands National Park

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Things

Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:34 pm

wap wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:31 pm
Great pics. :megusta: on how you're making your little guy into a real outdoors man.
Somebody’s gotta teach him the stuff you won’t learn in school. I always work on stuff with him - if he wants to make s’mores he has tell me how he wants me to setup the wood and kindling and stuff to make the fire and he has to get it lit with a a ferry rod and striker. Using and following trail maps, determining safe and legal dispersed camp sites - dead trees waiting to fall, large animal scat, the ability to safely have a fire, how to store food and garbage to not attract bears, etc. I teach him about leave no trace and stay the trail, we clean up camp sites and trails. I let him call a lot of the shots - where were going to hike, where were going to explore, which way to turn at a trail, if we want that camp site or keep looking, if we stick with 1 site for the whole trip or move on, etc., he’s the boss, it’s just my job to teach and explain, and step in when he’s not making safe choices. He turned 4 in March, on hikes he has to carry his own pack, his own snacks, his own water, and his own bear bell, he’s learned pretty quickly to minimize snacks, maximize water, and leave unnecessary items and weight behind or it’s going to be heavy and he won’t be able to hike as far. he’s typically good for 5-6 miles per hike.

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:32 pm

Dbest wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:22 pm
wap wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:13 pm

That's fucked. :rage:
Yeah I wasn’t real thrilled about it but what are you gonna do? You can sit at home and whine about it or just go with the flow and try to make something else happen. We did end up having a great time.
In the end that's all that counts. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:34 pm

Dbest wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:34 pm
wap wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:31 pm
Great pics. :megusta: on how you're making your little guy into a real outdoors man.
Somebody’s gotta teach him the stuff you won’t learn in school. I always work on stuff with him - if he wants to make s’mores he has tell me how he wants me to setup the wood and kindling and stuff to make the fire and he has to get it lit with a a ferry rod and striker. Using and following trail maps, determining safe and legal dispersed camp sites - dead trees waiting to fall, large animal scat, the ability to safely have a fire, how to store food and garbage to not attract bears, etc. I teach him about leave no trace and stay the trail, we clean up camp sites and trails. I let him call a lot of the shots - where were going to hike, where were going to explore, which way to turn at a trail, if we want that camp site or keep looking, if we stick with 1 site for the whole trip or move on, etc., he’s the boss, it’s just my job to teach and explain, and step in when he’s not making safe choices. He turned 4 in March, on hikes he has to carry his own pack, his own snacks, his own water, and his own bear bell, he’s learned pretty quickly to minimize snacks, maximize water, and leave unnecessary items and weight behind or it’s going to be heavy and he won’t be able to hike as far. he’s typically good for 5-6 miles per hike.
That's awesome, and :impressive: hiking range, too!
Nice that you're raising a non- :millennial: :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

Johnny_P
Drives: Burble

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:43 am

Love the updates with you and the little dude.

You should stop by here more often!

• Information