Camper Chat 1.0

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:15 pm

Zillon wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:02 pm
Detroit wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:48 pm

I can have ours setup within 20 minutes now, but there's just a lot of little things to do:

Level
Crank up
Pull out bunks (x2)
Deploy bunk supports (x2 x2)
Secure bunk tent bottoms (x2)
Unroll awning
Fight with the 6 poles required to setup awning
Pull door down from ceiling and secure
Fold up galley
Turn on water pump
Turn on propane
Light water heater
Light refrigerator

Vs. something like the Manta:

Level
Pop up ceiling
Unfold awning
Turn on water
Turn on propane
Mine is similar. Level out, connect to electric, connect bottle for cooking, and put awning out.
I wish there was a pop top version of what you have. I REALLY like being able to stand up inside the camper.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

Johnny_P
Drives: Burble

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:20 pm

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:30 pm

I like Taxa's designs. Pop ups are a bit of a pain to set up, these should be a lot easier. Really pop ups aren't that bad, just if its raining or muddy or something it's a chore. Not sure why there aren't more of these lift top campers on the market.
I can have ours setup within 20 minutes now, but there's just a lot of little things to do:

Level
Crank up
Pull out bunks (x2)
Unroll awning
Fold up galley
Turn on water pump
Turn on propane
Light water heater
Light refrigerator

Level
Pop up ceiling
Unfold awning
Turn on water
Turn on propane
Yep. 20 mins one person to set up which isn't bad. But being able to roll up and park it and you're done is kind of nice. Especially if you've had a long day of driving or something, or are running late and it's getting dark out.

My tent setup was about the same amount of time maybe a bit longer with me putzing around and there were a few nights it would have been nice to not have to go through that. Because then you still gotta setup the kitchen, prep dinner and cook it, get a fire going, wash everything up. Saving some time on setup would be pretty rad. You already have some advantage over a tent with the kitchen and all being a flip up affair.

I really really like Zillon's setup. That toy hauler camper is pretty great. And near zero setup time.

Detroit

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote:

Level
Crank up
Pull out bunks (x2)
Unroll awning
Fold up galley
Turn on water pump
Turn on propane
Light water heater
Light refrigerator

Level
Pop up ceiling
Unfold awning
Turn on water
Turn on propane
Yep. 20 mins one person to set up which isn't bad. But being able to roll up and park it and you're done is kind of nice. Especially if you've had a long day of driving or something, or are running late and it's getting dark out.

My tent setup was about the same amount of time maybe a bit longer with me putzing around and there were a few nights it would have been nice to not have to go through that. Because then you still gotta setup the kitchen, prep dinner and cook it, get a fire going, wash everything up. Saving some time on setup would be pretty rad. You already have some advantage over a tent with the kitchen and all being a flip up affair.

I really really like Zillon's setup. That toy hauler camper is pretty great. And near zero setup time.
Yep, you got it. Especially in the fall when you're certainly going to be arriving in the dark if you leave after work. Setting up in the dark is fine, but when all you want to do is relax, it's not great.

Problem is, I really want something that I can store in the garage. Keeps things nicer AND I don't have to pay rental for storage.

I really want the Mantis. Wife looked it over and loved it too. She suggested we find a dealer to go look at one, but there's no dealers in SE MI.
Desertbreh wrote:
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

Johnny_P

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

Yep, you got it. Especially in the fall when you're certainly going to be arriving in the dark if you leave after work. Setting up in the dark is fine, but when all you want to do is relax, it's not great.

Problem is, I really want something that I can store in the garage. Keeps things nicer AND I don't have to pay rental for storage.

I really want the Mantis. Wife looked it over and loved it too. She suggested we find a dealer to go look at one, but there's no dealers in SE MI.
Could you park it in the garagemahal? My grandfather had a giant garage built for his truck and camper. It wasn't anything fancy and the camper trailer was pretty small in all reality, just needed a taller door.

Detroit

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:06 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote:

Could you park it in the garagemahal? My grandfather had a giant garage built for his truck and camper. It wasn't anything fancy and the camper trailer was pretty small in all reality, just needed a taller door.
I would need much taller doors than I wanted...probably taller than 8 feet. We're sticking with 7 foot doors because the wife was concerned about aesthetics. She's already super pissed about how big it is, and the stupid architect told her it looks better with 7 foot doors, so that's what we got. They're fine for pretty much anything under a full height camper. At least they're cheaper.

But really, I don't want a full height camper. Followed a dude towing a relatively short...maybe 22 feet dual axle full size camper behind his F150 yesterday and the wind was blowing him all around. My popup is impervious to wind due to the low profile. PLUS, I refuse to get a fullsize truck, so I want something that's easily towed behind the Gladiator, which caps the weight I'm comfortable with around 4k lbs dry. Ease of towing is important to me, and lower profile is huge for that I think.
Desertbreh wrote:

Johnny_P

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:10 pm

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

I would need much taller doors than I wanted...probably taller than 8 feet. We're sticking with 7 foot doors because the wife was concerned about aesthetics. She's already super pissed about how big it is, and the stupid architect told her it looks better with 7 foot doors, so that's what we got. They're fine for pretty much anything under a full height camper. At least they're cheaper.

But really, I don't want a full height camper. Followed a dude towing a relatively short...maybe 22 feet dual axle full size camper behind his F150 yesterday and the wind was blowing him all around. My popup is impervious to wind due to the low profile. PLUS, I refuse to get a fullsize truck, so I want something that's easily towed behind the Gladiator, which caps the weight I'm comfortable with around 4k lbs dry. Ease of towing is important to me, and lower profile is huge for that I think.
Ah, yeah. Good points all around. I have never tried towing a full height 22' camper nor do I want to. Kinda still want the van thing.

Detroit

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:10 pm
Detroit wrote:

Ah, yeah. Good points all around. I have never tried towing a full height 22' camper nor do I want to. Kinda still want the van thing.
I've thought a lot about a van thing too, but we leave camp too much in the truck to make that work I think. I'd hate to setup and break down camp every time we wanted to go somewhere, even something as simple as a quick 10 minute firewood run.
Desertbreh wrote:

• Information