General Plane Talk

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

So new Icelandic owned but Latvian based airline is coming to the states.

Primera Air will begin its operations in Newark starting April, then adding 2 extra daily flights in May. Will be another WOW, Icelandic air competitor. Low fares, and such. They're having deals right now from Newark to their three "hubs" London, Birmingham and Paris.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Major snowstorm in our area yesterday. Meaning lots and lots of cancellations, except for one, WOW.

lol, they're used to this weather.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

09vdubgti wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:12 am So new Icelandic owned but Latvian based airline is coming to the states.

Primera Air will begin its operations in Newark starting April, then adding 2 extra daily flights in May. Will be another WOW, Icelandic air competitor. Low fares, and such. They're having deals right now from Newark to their three "hubs" London, Birmingham and Paris.
Interesting.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:28 pm Also, I'll be riding upstairs on a 747 in a couple weeks. I'm very excited about that.
They're letting you fly it? :impressive:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:44 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:28 pm Also, I'll be riding upstairs on a 747 in a couple weeks. I'm very excited about that.
They're letting you fly it? :impressive:
:lolol: :doomed: :alpo: :thisisfine:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:04 pm
wap wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Interesting.
I'm curious what the mainline carriers are going to do in response. They can't really compete on price. Hopefully they start turning up the dial on speed...
Well Newark being a United hub have been semi-aggressively been trying to stop as much competition as they can. Im talking about Newark specifically here but they are buying rights to slots that some international airlines want/need to decrease competition. They are now going against Emirates for adding a second flight to Newark. Posting billboards and ads in surrounding areas of the airport. Speaking how bad they are for the us economy and "americans". There are lots of airlines that want to do daily flights to EWR but there just isn't any slots/gates available. If I'm not mistaken the only airline that did non stop service from newark to Athens was Delta, and it isn't a daily flight. IIRC, it was 3 times a week. But now Emirates flies there daily, on a much nicer aircraft, with better amenities and service.

I am glad all these foreign airlines are coming in, they really are making the big 3 work.

Primera is advertising $99 one way from Newark to Paris, I mean it'll probably be during an offseason flight but still for a long weekend for ~$200 r/t, why not.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:04 pm
wap wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Interesting.
I'm curious what the mainline carriers are going to do in response. They can't really compete on price. Hopefully they start turning up the dial on speed...
I'd love to see United, SAS, etc., start offering non-stop service to Reykjavik.
wap

:impressive:
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:15 pm
09vdubgti wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Well Newark being a United hub have been semi-aggressively been trying to stop as much competition as they can. Im talking about Newark specifically here but they are buying rights to slots that some international airlines want/need to decrease competition. They are now going against Emirates for adding a second flight to Newark. Posting billboards and ads in surrounding areas of the airport. Speaking how bad they are for the us economy and "americans". There are lots of airlines that want to do daily flights to EWR but there just isn't any slots/gates available. If I'm not mistaken the only airline that did non stop service from newark to Athens was Delta, and it isn't a daily flight. IIRC, it was 3 times a week. But now Emirates flies there daily, on a much nicer aircraft, with better amenities and service.

I am glad all these foreign airlines are coming in, they really are making the big 3 work.

Primera is advertising $99 one way from Newark to Paris, I mean it'll probably be during an offseason flight but still for a long weekend for ~$200 r/t, why not.
The Emirates thing is a bit different.

So traditionally a foreign airline can go:
Us > their country > third country

The Emirates thing goes:
Us > third country > their country

Total BS.
Yes, that I understand. But the added flight is non-stop from Newark to Dubai.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I'm flying Aer Lingus to the UK in July. Flight was $750 round trip in the summer, vs $1300 with American.

Route is PHL to Dublin to Manchester, with a 90 minute layover in Dublin on the way there, 4 hours on the return leg.

Nice thing is Dublin has USA Pre-Clearance so after we take the puddle jumper from MAN to DUB we do all the US immigration stuff - including my entry on my Green Card - in DUB, and when we land back in PHL we just pick up the bags and go as if we were a domestic arrival.

Aer Lingus apparently leased a bunch of new 757's for their PHL, EWR and BOS expansion that started in early 2018. It'll be interesting to see what a transatlantic flight on a narrow body jet will be like - the handful of times I've done it it's been on a twin aisle wide body jawn.

757 from PHL>DUB for 6.5 hours and a 320 from DUB>MAN for 55 minutes.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The only thing I’m a bit worried about is the short layover in Dublin, but AL and DUB have really pushed that it’s a quick and seamless transfer in the same terminal, with a whole bunch of airport employees there to ensure everything is smooth.

I’ve never actually flown anywhere with a connecting flight, so this should be interesting.

I’m trying to figure out what the deal is catching the connection in Dublin.... I should be staying airside in the same terminal once we arrive so I wonder if We’ll have to go through immigration or not before we head over to Manchester.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:43 pm
09vdubgti wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Yes, that I understand. But the added flight is non-stop from Newark to Dubai.
I suspect if they dropped the Athens flight they wouldn't get any resistance on a Dubai flight.

I have to say, Dubai is an awful spot for a layover. It breaks long trips into one super long haul and one awkwardly short one. I prefer London or Frankfort any day of the week.
Waging brohad with :mahtroy: :impressive:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:34 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:43 pm

I suspect if they dropped the Athens flight they wouldn't get any resistance on a Dubai flight.

I have to say, Dubai is an awful spot for a layover. It breaks long trips into one super long haul and one awkwardly short one. I prefer London or Frankfort any day of the week.
:wat:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:46 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:34 am

Do you even geography Wron?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:50 am
wap wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:46 am
Better than most, Dirk. I'm just :notsure: if you're writing bro-jihad or...? And how are Frankfort and :mahtroy: related?

Your 5/7 posts are usually so laser focused and spot on clear, I'm shocked I'm not tracking with you here.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:12 am
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:41 pm The only thing I’m a bit worried about is the short layover in Dublin, but AL and DUB have really pushed that it’s a quick and seamless transfer in the same terminal, with a whole bunch of airport employees there to ensure everything is smooth.

I’ve never actually flown anywhere with a connecting flight, so this should be interesting.

I’m trying to figure out what the deal is catching the connection in Dublin.... I should be staying airside in the same terminal once we arrive so I wonder if We’ll have to go through immigration or not before we head over to Manchester.
*Probably* as you're entering the EU in Dublin.

Immigration there was lightening quick.
That's what I've read.

Thankfully the airport is set up for it, and with it being an Aer Lingus connecting flight I won't have to deal with baggage.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:47 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:50 am

Better than most, Dirk. I'm just :notsure: if you're writing bro-jihad or...? And how are Frankfort and :mahtroy: related?

Your 5/7 posts are usually so laser focused and spot on clear, I'm shocked I'm not tracking with you here.
Frankfort is the capital of Kaintuck breh.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:22 pm
wap wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:47 am

Frankfort is the capital of Kaintuck breh.
Ah. :rolleyes: :derp:
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Saw Lufthansas new Livery on their 747-8 a few days ago. Didnt get a chance to snap a picture.

For those who may not know how the new one looks

Its like Qantas livery but in blue
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:06 pm
09vdubgti wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:27 pm Saw Lufthansas new Livery on their 747-8 a few days ago. Didnt get a chance to snap a picture.

That's pretty.

Top floor of a 747 for me on Friday!
In4impressions
wap

09vdubgti wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:27 pm Saw Lufthansas new Livery on their 747-8 a few days ago. Didnt get a chance to snap a picture.

I'm :( that United retired their fleet of 747's. Such an awesome plane.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 pm
wap wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:17 pm

I'm sorta going out of my way to take this flight. I've grown to love the 787 so much but I want to fly in a 747 at least once.
I flew in a 747 from JFK to LHR several years ago - IIRC it was British Airways or Virgin.

My grandmother died on 12/29/99. We had to get the first flight we could to go back for her funeral and final arrangements. There was only one flight available.

Our flight departed at 5PM on 12/31/99 and was set to arrive in London 6AM on 1/1/00.

There were twelve other people on the flight thanks to Y2K. Once we were airborne, we were all moved upstairs, and we were all served first class meals. Several of them. Once 7PM hit (0000 GMT) they brought out a couple of bottles of champagne and popped them, and were handing it out saying "Happy new year!". Flight attendant handed me a glass... not being a champagne fan I said no, and said "besides, I'm only 16"

"Darling, it's after midnight at 30,000 feet on Y2K and we're not falling out of the sky. We've earned this"

I drank it.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm sorta going out of my way to take this flight. I've grown to love the 787 so much but I want to fly in a 747 at least once.
I flew in a 747 from JFK to LHR several years ago - IIRC it was British Airways or Virgin.

My grandmother died on 12/29/99. We had to get the first flight we could to go back for her funeral and final arrangements. There was only one flight available.

Our flight departed at 5PM on 12/31/99 and was set to arrive in London 6AM on 1/1/00.

There were twelve other people on the flight thanks to Y2K. Once we were airborne, we were all moved upstairs, and we were all served first class meals. Several of them. Once 7PM hit (0000 GMT) they brought out a couple of bottles of champagne and popped them, and were handing it out saying "Happy new year!". Flight attendant handed me a glass... not being a champagne fan I said no, and said "besides, I'm only 16"

"Darling, it's after midnight at 30,000 feet on Y2K and we're not falling out of the sky. We've earned this"

I drank it.
That's such a :fuckyeah: story.

Did you visit the mile-high club with said flight attendant?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

wap wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:17 pm

787's are great planes. I've only flown one, on LOT, but it was really nice. Triple 7's are nice too, as are A340's, but 747's are just special to me, maybe because I remember when they first came out and they were so :mindblown: yuuge to see them flying overhead.

Have you not flown one before?
wap

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:26 pm

I drank it.
:fuckyeah:
Awesome story!
Sad reason :doe: