Cyclochops: the build

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Doing my first roadie build. I've done plenty of repairs, maintenance, rebuilds of bikes over the years but this will be my first ground-up build. So far, I have a frame. And that's it. Its a Musseuw mfc 3.0 which seems to be a great bang for buck budget CF frame. I am pretty impressed with the quality of everything at first glance. If anything, the fork/steertube is a little rough and a press-in crown race that seems to take a bit more force than I'd like...but also which isnt unusual on cheaper CF forks I guess. Fork made in Taiwan, frame made in Belgium, go figure.

Anyways, going for a full 105 or better groupset. I already have the (all 105 r7000) derailleurs, shifters and crankset (53/39 172.5mm) purchased (some on backorder). Bottom bracket (bb86 compatible with hollowtech II) should be coming in tomorrow to fit the setup.

Everything else aside from the cassette (aiming for 11-30) is kinda up in the air, and I have a bunch of rather shitty spare parts lying around that I might use just to get this thing on the road and see what to address first (i.e. basic 700c wheelset, tektro brakes, couple saddles, basic aluminum handlebars) before dropping more dough. I am going to try piecing really nice used stuff together as it comes up for sale and swap out as we go to keep it within budget. I am hoping to keep everything under 1800 which should give me some room for decent goodies.

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Where did you get the frame from?

Looking forward to the build
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

fledonfoot wrote:Where did you get the frame from?

Looking forward to the build
planet cyclery -- this is a real beefer dimensionally. The seat tube is a 34.9mm which is big even for a MTB, so ive shimmed it to a more standard 31.6...which is still huge...the downtube is a big rectangular chonker. It is super light, and seems really strong and pretty stiff, but forget good aero. I love weird shit, so on-brand for me.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

That's one fat seat tube.

I like the idea of building a bike from the frame like this :doe:

What do you ride normally?
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote:That's one fat seat tube.

Nothing haha...i sold my old bike to a close friend a couple years ago and I YOLOd this build. I miss it. My old bike was a nashbar aluminum frame with carbon fork, sora gruppo. It was a good bike, put probably 20k on it and now my friend and I are planning on some good rides. I took great care of it and hes put another 5k on it since. The other bike I have is a bikes direct special MTB that I just got. I went 2 years and no bike, Ive been dying for it.

I also have a shitty singlespeed hipster bike because reasons. I had plans to ebike it, but havent. Got batteries, BCM, motor, all that but never got it together.
troyguitar

rockchops wrote:
troyguitar wrote:That's one fat seat tube.

Nothing haha...i sold my old bike to a close friend a couple years ago and I YOLOd this build. I miss it. My old bike was a nashbar aluminum frame with carbon fork, sora gruppo. It was a good bike, put probably 20k on it and now my friend and I are planning on some good rides. I took great care of it and hes put another 5k on it since. The other bike I have is a bikes direct special MTB that I just got. I went 2 years and no bike, Ive been dying for it.

I also have a shitty singlespeed hipster bike because reasons. I had plans to ebike it, but havent. Got batteries, BCM, motor, all that but never got it together.
:notbad:

My bikesdirect ride was great, if it was a size smaller I'd have kept it.

Ebikes are an interesting wild west, I expect to be buying/building one for the wife next year. Her being faster than me would be great for both of us.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote:
rockchops wrote:Nothing haha...i sold my old bike to a close friend a couple years ago and I YOLOd this build. I miss it. My old bike was a nashbar aluminum frame with carbon fork, sora gruppo. It was a good bike, put probably 20k on it and now my friend and I are planning on some good rides. I took great care of it and hes put another 5k on it since. The other bike I have is a bikes direct special MTB that I just got. I went 2 years and no bike, Ive been dying for it.

Ebikes are an interesting wild west, I expect to be buying/building one for the wife next year. Her being faster than me would be great for both of us.
Ebike made a lot of sense when I was going into the office a day or two a week. I could have used something to ride in a pinch to the train which is 1.5 miles or so from my house. I usually would walk and itd be 30-45 mins, but also quite enjoyable but some days...get up late gotta make the train... Havent been in the office for over a year so...got a bunch of 18650s and a big ass motor sitting in my home office lol.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:27 pm
rockchops wrote:Nothing haha...i sold my old bike to a close friend a couple years ago and I YOLOd this build. I miss it. My old bike was a nashbar aluminum frame with carbon fork, sora gruppo. It was a good bike, put probably 20k on it and now my friend and I are planning on some good rides. I took great care of it and hes put another 5k on it since. The other bike I have is a bikes direct special MTB that I just got. I went 2 years and no bike, Ive been dying for it.

Curious to hear how this goes. I would LOVE to get my wife on an e-bike but she would probably think it was "scary" and still ride 9 MPH. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:excited: to follow this build! Good shit.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

things beginning to appear on my doorstep...Image
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

More things...ImageImage
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Shimano FTW!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

more goodies....everything but derailleurs. Image
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Welp, everything is here except the front DR and chain which should be pretty quick to arrive. Need to hunker down and build this thing now.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

rockchops wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:10 pm More things...Image
Bob ftw.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Pardon the mess. Got steerer tube fitted and cut today, brakes are now on and stem, handlebars, shifters in place. Next up is going to be all the cabling. Ive never cabled internal before -- luckily the frame has plastic sleeves for the cables so it should be relatively easy. I will just have to figure out the housing ends and stuff.

After that its the BB and crank...then profit?Image
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:nice:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I am going to tape anyways but at this point i want to do things right and know it. What a pain, took me 2hr to do the ol ziptie and/or wire loop thing to fish these through. And worth it.Image
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

pretty much got it ready to ride. Everything needs to be tightened and tuned, but all the major things are done. BB needs an extra dust shield (they only had 1 in the pack), Z already called me on the stem flip abd obv I need to make the chain...a chain and take a few links out. Rest is tuning! Fuckin pumped!Image
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

rockchops wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:24 pm I am going to tape anyways but at this point i want to do things right and know it. What a pain, took me 2hr to do the ol ziptie and/or wire loop thing to fish these through. And worth it.Image
Coherny Bicycle Internal Cable Routing Tool for Bicycle Frame Shift Hydraulic Wire Shifter Inner Cable Guide Install Cycling Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082DZPBTF/re ... 63AGZP9HF7
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

fledonfoot wrote:
rockchops wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:24 pm I am going to tape anyways but at this point i want to do things right and know it. What a pain, took me 2hr to do the ol ziptie and/or wire loop thing to fish these through. And worth it.Image
Coherny Bicycle Internal Cable Routing Tool for Bicycle Frame Shift Hydraulic Wire Shifter Inner Cable Guide Install Cycling Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082DZPBTF/re ... 63AGZP9HF7
Yeah its not so much the routing itself, its that these bars had some rough inner CF that would catch the cable sheaths pretty well, and the openings are kind of at bad angles. The frame itself had standard tubes for routing (jagwire?)
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

And its done! I need to tune it quite a bit (and of course anticipate the standard cabke stretching and breaking in etc). But yeah rode around the neighborhood last night and it feels great. This thing is significantly faster than previous bikes I have owned. Image
troyguitar

:nice:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

rockchops wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:19 am And its done! I need to tune it quite a bit (and of course anticipate the standard cabke stretching and breaking in etc). But yeah rode around the neighborhood last night and it feels great. This thing is significantly faster than previous bikes I have owned. Image
Looks awesome!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

rockchops wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:19 am And its done! I need to tune it quite a bit (and of course anticipate the standard cabke stretching and breaking in etc). But yeah rode around the neighborhood last night and it feels great. This thing is significantly faster than previous bikes I have owned. Image
:fuckyeah: :excited: