Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

While riding home on the river trail the rear shift cable snapped, causing the rear mech to drop to the hardest cog. 9 miles of 36x11 single speeding. My legs are fucking COOKED.

It has full length housing. I think I’ll replace it all for the front and rear shifters. And new bar tape because that has to happen if you replace the housing anyway. Might just have a shop do it? Not sure. It’s a lot of housing that I don’t have a big ass roll of.

If I do take it to a shop I might have them replace the chain and bottom bracket. TBD.

Good ride today. Glad I didn’t venture into the Wissahickon park. I would have been trapped in there and likely would have had to hike it out.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The "Wiss" For a Blessed Lands Peeper, I pick up some lingo.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:53 am Anyone use a long sleeve lightweight jersey or arm covers for summer riding? Thoughts? Kind of thinking about picking up a pair so I avoid skin cancer.
I sometimes do to stay out of the sun, although more recently I just do more sunscreen.

I typically just throw something like one of these https://smile.amazon.com/Hanes-Cool-Per ... th=1&psc=1 on under a jersey... just gotta find something with a nice fit.

I'm not really all that fancy or concerned with being ultra aero :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:02 pm Bike commuting is pretty dope. I'm a belieber. I'd buy a nicer commuter bike if I thought we were staying in bike distance to work.

Basket on the front is great. Can throw literally anything in it. Take out food, a backpack, a jacket, whatever NFG. Rear rack keeps the U lock nice and secure and gives a great jingle jangle every 5 seconds over a pothole. The Maxxis tires I put on it kind of suck, rolling resistance is way too high and the casings are unnecessarily hard but these were among the only folding slicks I could find for some reason so whatever.

But yeah a bike like my Macho Man with just racks and whatnot and a baby seat on the back, that's bliss my friends. Only thing that would make it better would be an e motor.
Commuting rules for sure. I just throw stuff in my pannier bag, I need to get another as having say a twelve pack (of NA beers because my drinking days are kinda over for now) and some food all on one side of the bike feels a bit awkward.

My gravel tarz roll quite nice and are dece for the city on my commuter, they just kind of blow for hard cornering on pavement. Overall super happy with them though, 32 mm GravelKings.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:12 am The "Wiss" For a Blessed Lands Peeper, I pick up some lingo.
Me too :sissyfight:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:19 pm While riding home on the river trail the rear shift cable snapped, causing the rear mech to drop to the hardest cog. 9 miles of 36x11 single speeding. My legs are fucking COOKED.

It has full length housing. I think I’ll replace it all for the front and rear shifters. And new bar tape because that has to happen if you replace the housing anyway. Might just have a shop do it? Not sure. It’s a lot of housing that I don’t have a big ass roll of.

If I do take it to a shop I might have them replace the chain and bottom bracket. TBD.

Good ride today. Glad I didn’t venture into the Wissahickon park. I would have been trapped in there and likely would have had to hike it out.
I went into REI a while back and saw they will replace cables/housings for $20... I will likely do that next time I need internal routing done. Only issue is by the time I go there, it's a bit of a time wash.

Dat single speed life :impressive:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Did a Hincapie Gran Fondo last weekend in Chattanooga, TN.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7103747233

I have to say, they put on quite a cool event. My buddy Matt and I did it together, 84ish miles, and only 5,500 feet of climbing per my Garmin but felt like more than that. Parts were flat but there were two timed climbs and a few more longish climbs. I was featured on their post pointing out that below climb, but man, that thing was a bitch. 10+% grade over about two miles, and a bit moist, so getting out of the saddle resulted in tar slippage. I managed to place 42nd or so out of 550ish entrants on that thing, which I felt rather good about considering some pros were in attendance. It was a hellacious climb. The other one was five miles long but only a 7ish% average grade, not so bad.

For the $225 or so, you get timed segments, staffed rest stops with food/shitters, beer/food after, a full kit, and just a fun atmosphere. I may do the Greenville one in a few months. The 'noogs was like a 6-7 hour drive each way when all was said and done so not sure I'll do that one again, pretty area though, neat little city.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

That's really cool dude. Looks like a good time! And brutal, but in a good way. :lol:
Johnny_P

Sweet! Nice jersey too
Johnny_P

Do those shirts end up smelling like a high school football team? I bought some undies made from that type of cool material and they smell horrific after like 2 hours.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:34 pm Do those shirts end up smelling like a high school football team? I bought some undies made from that type of cool material and they smell horrific after like 2 hours.
:lol:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:34 pm Do those shirts end up smelling like a high school football team? I bought some undies made from that type of cool material and they smell horrific after like 2 hours.
Hmmmm possibly. Only thing I do in them is cycle or run and I just assume I stink after both and shower immediately.
Johnny_P

Found a new shift cable in my cycling toolbox of rejected wonders. The cable snapped inside the shifter like an inch from the cable end, so I had to partially dismantle the shifter to get it out. Works great now though. Hopefully stopping by a shop tomorrow to get a new chain and bar tape. I'll leave the housings for now since it didn't snap inside the housing, and the rest of the cable looked nearly perfect.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:Anyone use a long sleeve lightweight jersey or arm covers for summer riding? Thoughts? Kind of thinking about picking up a pair so I avoid skin cancer.
Ive got this guy for cooler weather

https://garneau.com/us_en/modesto-cycli ... et-1030229

Its super thin, great windbreaker. I dont think it would work above 80 or even 75 in the sun though. I usually just slather thr fuck out of my arms with sunscreen. After a day on the river trail theyre covered in bugs, im sure the sticky sunscreen doesnt help.
Johnny_P

rockchops wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:55 am
Johnny_P wrote:Anyone use a long sleeve lightweight jersey or arm covers for summer riding? Thoughts? Kind of thinking about picking up a pair so I avoid skin cancer.

Its super thin, great windbreaker. I dont think it would work above 80 or even 75 in the sun though. I usually just slather thr fuck out of my arms with sunscreen. After a day on the river trail theyre covered in bugs, im sure the sticky sunscreen doesnt help.
I think they make arm coolers too. I’ve had great luck with their apparel in the past.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

rockchops wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:55 am

I think I have the same jacket, definitely wouldn't want to wear it in the hot, but it's worked great for cool/light rain. My only complaint is that it is a sail in the wind for me, but I think I just got skinnier since getting it when I first got into road riding.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My GP5000 tubeless started leaking along the rim on the back... I think the tire is just worn out, little strings of rubber pulling off around that area. I think I'm just going to run them with tubes until I can get some new rubber.

They only made it about 2400 miles, less than my tube'd 25mm set. Interesting...

Are these still the hotness or are there any other tires I should be checking out for fast road stuff? 28 mm, tubeless preferred I think.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:11 am My GP5000 tubeless started leaking along the rim on the back... I think the tire is just worn out, little strings of rubber pulling off around that area. I think I'm just going to run them with tubes until I can get some new rubber.

They only made it about 2400 miles, less than my tube'd 25mm set. Interesting...

Are these still the hotness or are there any other tires I should be checking out for fast road stuff? 28 mm, tubeless preferred I think.
They were always really good tires. But Continental likes to make their casings unnecessarily hard. I think Michelins are highly regarded as well. Or you could try Vittoria for something that would ride softer.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Had a great ride last night. I ended up just putting tubes in my GP 5000 TL for the time being, need to order something and assume it will take a couple of weeks.

Honestly... I felt no difference. I think I might just go back to tubes.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:53 pm Had a great ride last night. I ended up just putting tubes in my GP 5000 TL for the time being, need to order something and assume it will take a couple of weeks.

I mostly don’t feel a difference either. Just that tubeless let’s you run lower pressure more safely / reliably. You won’t feel a difference on a hard casing tire like the Contis.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:53 pm Had a great ride last night. I ended up just putting tubes in my GP 5000 TL for the time being, need to order something and assume it will take a couple of weeks.

I mostly don’t feel a difference either. Just that tubeless let’s you run lower pressure more safely / reliably. You won’t feel a difference on a hard casing tire like the Contis.
Yeah I feel like there's value in it, I certainly like it for MTB to run lower pressures. Just not sure it's worth the hassle on the road bike... :iono: these should last another month or two with the tubes in them at least, so I'll sleep on it for a bit :crang:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

What's new in the bike world for everyone?

Had some nice rides last week. My buddy got his new Fairlight Cycle road bike and we went out one night, the thing is pretty :neat:

I happened to run into a friend in the parking lot of a MTB trail system yesterday so we got to ride together which was great fun. He called it quits after one lap (10 miles) since he had ridden 46 miles on a road ride earlier in the AM. I set out for another lap to attempt a PR of the park, but it started pouring so I just went slippin' and slidin' instead and got really muddy.

Washed the Spark when I got home. I still really love this bike. It was the perfect choice for me and the riding I do. XL frame still looks enormous but feels great for me.

I'm leaving in about an hour for Winston-Salem and Raleigh for work. Thinking about taking the Raleigh for some city/greenway gravel in those towns but man, it looks like it may rain all week. Not sure it's worth the hassle if it'll be nasty.

Also got a Wahoo finally last week! First ride with it was cool.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:13 am What's new in the bike world for everyone?

Had some nice rides last week. My buddy got his new Fairlight Cycle road bike and we went out one night, the thing is pretty :neat:

I happened to run into a friend in the parking lot of a MTB trail system yesterday so we got to ride together which was great fun. He called it quits after one lap (10 miles) since he had ridden 46 miles on a road ride earlier in the AM. I set out for another lap to attempt a PR of the park, but it started pouring so I just went slippin' and slidin' instead and got really muddy.

Washed the Spark when I got home. I still really love this bike. It was the perfect choice for me and the riding I do. XL frame still looks enormous but feels great for me.

I'm leaving in about an hour for Winston-Salem and Raleigh for work. Thinking about taking the Raleigh for some city/greenway gravel in those towns but man, it looks like it may rain all week. Not sure it's worth the hassle if it'll be nasty.

:nice:

Not much goin on here, but I think I'm going to be starting to ride more soon. I've been back on the ice a lot lately, but my hips are not happy with me for it. Despite all of the PT and mobility work, I think they're just too fucked to keep playing goal. The good news is they feel fine doing literally anything else, so that means I can get on the bike more. I did my first 1hr Pelotube ride on Saturday after not having done one in several weeks and it showed. :lol: I'm sure my FTP has slipped somewhat, but I held my output targets and got through it. I'm planning on two outdoor rides each week plus one longer Peloton ride on Saturday mornings before the kiddos are awake. We'll see how that goes with work and shit, but that's the plan.

I'm itching for another MTB too, but that aintgonnahappen. I just don't have time, unfortunately.
Johnny_P

Not much here. Not riding often. Hopefully Wednesday. I was able to fix the bike by replacing the shift cable so it’s ready to get rowdy again.

Glad to hear the spark is working out well for you griff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:06 am
D Griff wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:13 am What's new in the bike world for everyone?

:nice:

Not much goin on here, but I think I'm going to be starting to ride more soon. I've been back on the ice a lot lately, but my hips are not happy with me for it. Despite all of the PT and mobility work, I think they're just too fucked to keep playing goal. The good news is they feel fine doing literally anything else, so that means I can get on the bike more. I did my first 1hr Pelotube ride on Saturday after not having done one in several weeks and it showed. :lol: I'm sure my FTP has slipped somewhat, but I held my output targets and got through it. I'm planning on two outdoor rides each week plus one longer Peloton ride on Saturday mornings before the kiddos are awake. We'll see how that goes with work and shit, but that's the plan.

I'm itching for another MTB too, but that aintgonnahappen. I just don't have time, unfortunately.
Hope you're still able to play hockey in some capacity, man. Sucks when your body says no to what you love doing.

in4more riding :doe: