Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

The funny thing is, I bought the Ribble for a similar price range and she didn't really seem all that phased by it at the time, I guess because I ordered it first, told her after.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:30 pm The funny thing is, I bought the Ribble for a similar price range and she didn't really seem all that phased by it at the time, I guess because I ordered it first, told her after.
That takes some :balls:. Our limit for making a purchase without telling the other person first is $100. :lolol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:29 pm Good luck getting one of those :lolol:

Part of me wonders if I'm dumb for not just spending $5K and getting a carbon bike. :iono: I never cared about that for trails until the Orbea broke in two.

There is really no huge reason to not spend a lot other than deeply rooted :scrooge: and the desire to not have it be a big discussion with the wife. I told her $2500-3K and she was like 'wow that is so much for a bike' and I was sort of like :ohwell: suck it up, buttercup, to which she accepted pretty graciously. If out of the blue, I doubled that, it may become a bit more of a debate. I'd rather save that for a GR86 in 6-12 months I think.
Plenty of reviews out there on the alloy version already. It seems a batch of those, at least, have made their way out to stores already.

It'll probably be a good 3 years at least until I consider buying another MTB, doe. Until the kids are older, there's zero point.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:38 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:29 pm Good luck getting one of those :lolol:

Part of me wonders if I'm dumb for not just spending $5K and getting a carbon bike. :iono: I never cared about that for trails until the Orbea broke in two.

There is really no huge reason to not spend a lot other than deeply rooted :scrooge: and the desire to not have it be a big discussion with the wife. I told her $2500-3K and she was like 'wow that is so much for a bike' and I was sort of like :ohwell: suck it up, buttercup, to which she accepted pretty graciously. If out of the blue, I doubled that, it may become a bit more of a debate. I'd rather save that for a GR86 in 6-12 months I think.
Plenty of reviews out there on the alloy version already. It seems a batch of those, at least, have made their way out to stores already.

It'll probably be a good 3 years at least until I consider buying another MTB, doe. Until the kids are older, there's zero point.
There may be some somewhere, none around here (only discussed the aluminum units) - it looks like mid Spring is the earliest any will be in town.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:30 pm The funny thing is, I bought the Ribble for a similar price range and she didn't really seem all that phased by it at the time, I guess because I ordered it first, told her after.
That takes some :balls:. Our limit for making a purchase without telling the other person first is $100. :lolol:
We don't really have one set, probably should. Thing is, she spends way more day to day going out with friends, planning trips, etc. I really don't buy anything other than the occasional big ticket items or track weekends. It works out to a similar discretionary spending factor, but mine has a lock more shock value.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Nice. It's been 30* here and even that feels like spring compared to how it's been.

Also, :ohdang:

A shop not too far from me has a M/L Top Fuel 9.8 XT in stock in this color:

:megusta: The same shop has a Large in black. There ya go, Griff.

It's only $6,549.99. :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That paint scheme most certainly rules. Sick bike, more than I can afford, pal.

Hopefully in a few years I'll be good enough to justify such a thing.

I'm still :notsure: I'm sold on carbon being necessary on a MTB. Although, my aluminum frame broke so meh.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:53 am
coogles wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:36 am Nice. It's been 30* here and even that feels like spring compared to how it's been.

Also, :ohdang:

A shop not too far from me has a M/L Top Fuel 9.8 XT in stock in this color:

:megusta: The same shop has a Large in black. There ya go, Griff.

It's only $6,549.99. :lolol:
That's awesome looking. Seems like a solid spec, too.

Also, after blowing what I did on the Felt, that seems like a bargain.

Cabron wheels, SID fork, XT drivetrain, awesome paint. :megusta:
Go on.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, did a thing:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

oh yeah!!!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So far I love it. The ride was about 2 miles of road from my house to the trailhead, 10 miles of single track, 2 miles home. The suspension lockout thing is cool on the road, I will have to try out the 'middle/Traction Control' setting more. I just went full lock on road, full open on the single track. There aren't really any huge climbs at BYT (Back Yard Trails), but they are the most technical and chunkiest in Charlotte. I really haven't loved them much in the past, certainly some fun sections, but just too much chunk. This bike is significantly more confidence inspiring and they were way more fun today than I've ever experienced in the past. While not the most playful bike in the world, it's quite fun and I think matches my riding style and area quite nicely. I'm hoping to build up a bit more confidence with getting airborne on this thing, I've always been grounded to the ground on my hardtails, we'll see if that can change a little bit.

I do need to get used to the really wide, modern bars... or I might just swap them out for some narrower carboner ones or something. Hard to not clip trees with these things and I feel like they make turn in feel a little slower.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:06 pm So far I love it. The ride was about 2 miles of road from my house to the trailhead, 10 miles of single track, 2 miles home. The suspension lockout thing is cool on the road, I will have to try out the 'middle/Traction Control' setting more. I just went full lock on road, full open on the single track. There aren't really any huge climbs at BYT (Back Yard Trails), but they are the most technical and chunkiest in Charlotte. I really haven't loved them much in the past, certainly some fun sections, but just too much chunk. This bike is significantly more confidence inspiring and they were way more fun today than I've ever experienced in the past. While not the most playful bike in the world, it's quite fun and I think matches my riding style and area quite nicely. I'm hoping to build up a bit more confidence with getting airborne on this thing, I've always been grounded to the ground on my hardtails, we'll see if that can change a little bit.

I do need to get used to the really wide, modern bars... or I might just swap them out for some narrower carboner ones or something. Hard to not clip trees with these things and I feel like they make turn in feel a little slower.
That's awesome man. I had a lot of fun going from a very XC hardtail to a real trail bike. The geo wasn't perfect and it was way too much travel for around here, but the extra traction and the more capable geometry really gave me a ton of confidence to send it. As for bar width, I found the 780mm bars on the Trance awkward at first too, but it didn't take long to get used to them. I'd give it a few rides and see how you do, then trim slowly if you decide you really don't like it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:18 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:06 pm So far I love it. The ride was about 2 miles of road from my house to the trailhead, 10 miles of single track, 2 miles home. The suspension lockout thing is cool on the road, I will have to try out the 'middle/Traction Control' setting more. I just went full lock on road, full open on the single track. There aren't really any huge climbs at BYT (Back Yard Trails), but they are the most technical and chunkiest in Charlotte. I really haven't loved them much in the past, certainly some fun sections, but just too much chunk. This bike is significantly more confidence inspiring and they were way more fun today than I've ever experienced in the past. While not the most playful bike in the world, it's quite fun and I think matches my riding style and area quite nicely. I'm hoping to build up a bit more confidence with getting airborne on this thing, I've always been grounded to the ground on my hardtails, we'll see if that can change a little bit.

That's awesome man. I had a lot of fun going from a very XC hardtail to a real trail bike. The geo wasn't perfect and it was way too much travel for around here, but the extra traction and the more capable geometry really gave me a ton of confidence to send it. As for bar width, I found the 780mm bars on the Trance awkward at first too, but it didn't take long to get used to them. I'd give it a few rides and see how you do, then trim slowly if you decide you really don't like it.
I think that’s a good call. The bike shop offers a free 90 day tune up and also offered to make any fit changes, cut bars/chimneys etc, so I’ll ride it as is for the moment and have them cut them down a tad next time I go by if still desired. I can ride that way then cut them down again if still too wide. There’s definitely some learning curve to a new bike.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Sick!!!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Now this is what I was looking for.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:00 pm He's legit fast, also been fast his whole life. I raced against him in 2012. :lol:

But yeah, kinda what I've been saying. You need a mix of disciplines.
He keeps making the point that you need at least one long (2+ hour in zone 2) ride per week, which I will find pretty tough, but I'm going to give it a shot. Doing Z2 for 2+ hours on the Peloton seems totally :disgust:, though. The problem with these Peloton classes if his recommendations are to be taken as gospel is that the endurance classes get you out of zone 2 and into zone 3, so you don't get the recovery effect from them, and the threshold efforts aren't long enough to elicit the necessary adaptations. What's crazy is that some people in these power zone groups are making some INSANE improvements in their FTP. One guy I saw was off the couch at 175 watts and in less than 6 months doing nothing but PZ classes was up 100 watts. Granted, I'm little and wasn't totally untrained given all the strength work I've done over the years, but I'm only up ~26% in a year, and he improved close to 60% in 5.5 months.

Dylan gives some great templates for the workouts he suggests. :notsure: how I'll mimic that on the Peloton unless I'm just doing the freeride function, but we'll see.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:45 pm Get off the Peloton and get outside? Z2 is a lot easier to do outside than just sitting inside and grinding your taint into hamburger on the Peloton. Unless you're just sitting there watching stuff/somehow doing work while spinning.

In terms of mimicking a workout/following a workout structure, you'd have to do a freeride.

Anyways, 5PM 30 min Alex Toussaint live ride, HIIT and Hills. Let's play. :doit:
Bruh it's been cold AF here and I have no cold weather gear. My Emonda will stay hung on the ceiling of the garage until April.

That is tempting, but I'll be cooking up dinner for the fam at 5. Have fun!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:54 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:51 pm

Bruh it's been cold AF here and I have no cold weather gear. My Emonda will stay hung on the ceiling of the garage until April.
Ah. Well... do some 60 min Z2/Z3 endurance PZ classes then.
coogles wrote: That is tempting, but I'll be cooking up dinner for the fam at 5. Have fun!
:(
You'd only see me on the leaderboard for the first 10 seconds anyway. :slow:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:02 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:00 pm

You'd only see me on the leaderboard for the first 10 seconds anyway. :slow:
Oh I'm just trying to get you to get some HIIT stuff into your regimen. It's a guaranteed power builder.
And leg exploder. I have hockey tomorrow, so I'm off the bike until Saturday.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Any of you bros have experience with or knowledge of Poseidon Bikes? Been seeing ads for them, and they're competitively priced, but I don't know anything about bikes, so I can't tell if they cut corners to get those lower prices..
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:45 pm Any of you bros have experience with or knowledge of Poseidon Bikes? Been seeing ads for them, and they're competitively priced, but I don't know anything about bikes, so I can't tell if they cut corners to get those lower prices..
This is probably like asking about Hyundais at a PCA meeting.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:55 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:45 pm Any of you bros have experience with or knowledge of Poseidon Bikes? Been seeing ads for them, and they're competitively priced, but I don't know anything about bikes, so I can't tell if they cut corners to get those lower prices..
Somebody in the room bought one for their wife to get groceries in and doesn't hate driving it themselves from time to time.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:55 pm

Somebody in the room bought one for their wife to get groceries in and doesn't hate driving it themselves from time to time.
:lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I just looked at them. Probably not bad, but they have cheapish components.

What are you looking to do on the bike? Commute around? Ride trails?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:51 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:45 pm Get off the Peloton and get outside? Z2 is a lot easier to do outside than just sitting inside and grinding your taint into hamburger on the Peloton. Unless you're just sitting there watching stuff/somehow doing work while spinning.

In terms of mimicking a workout/following a workout structure, you'd have to do a freeride.

Anyways, 5PM 30 min Alex Toussaint live ride, HIIT and Hills. Let's play. :doit:

That is tempting, but I'll be cooking up dinner for the fam at 5. Have fun!
Sad. I really like to keep indoor rides as short and intense as possible. I would just freestyle it (or one of their scenic rides) and get some good TV or a book for that. Z2 riding should be easy enough that you can soak in some TV, YouTube, reading, etc.