Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Well, I attempted to. Bike was not as minty as described; rather, it looked like a junkyard dog had gnawed on the left shifter.

The guy bangs it against the cinderblock wall in his garage every time he hangs it.

Also, I think I determined that a 58 Tarmac (or any Tarmac) isn’t the right bike for me. 58 is too long of a reach, 56 too short of a stack.

Might be time to just send it on ordering a 56 Supersix. :doomed:
That is :nice:

Next bike for me won’t be for years I don’t think, but pre cosmetic imperfection would be welcomed.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 pm
That gen of Supersix I'd need a 58 - the newest one I'd be on a 56, but jury is still out on if slamming the stem on a 58 with a slightly shorter stem fixes the enormous feel of the 58.

Neat color scheme, :doe:
Ahh I didn't know they changed it since then. I'm pretty happy with my 2018 frame but AFAIK it's the same as the new ones on the Giant/Liv side of things.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Man, went for a rainy ride this morning. I've generally avoided rain recently other than a sprinkle here or there on a fondo I had planned or something. It honestly is :thisisfine: but getting home to have to immediately wash my bike, clothes, shoes, lights, etc. is just a huge pain in the ass when I'm trying to ride as long as I can then dive back into work. I guess I will just hit the Peloton next time.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:03 pm Man, went for a rainy ride this morning. I've generally avoided rain recently other than a sprinkle here or there on a fondo I had planned or something. It honestly is :thisisfine: but getting home to have to immediately wash my bike, clothes, shoes, lights, etc. is just a huge pain in the ass when I'm trying to ride as long as I can then dive back into work. I guess I will just hit the Peloton next time.
I leave my bikes dirty. It rains every day, so if I want to ride at all then I need to be OK with having a dirty bike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:03 pm Man, went for a rainy ride this morning. I've generally avoided rain recently other than a sprinkle here or there on a fondo I had planned or something. It honestly is :thisisfine: but getting home to have to immediately wash my bike, clothes, shoes, lights, etc. is just a huge pain in the ass when I'm trying to ride as long as I can then dive back into work. I guess I will just hit the Peloton next time.
I leave my bikes dirty. It rains every day, so if I want to ride at all then I need to be OK with having a dirty bike.
:word:

That is more or less my philosophy with the MTB. I am certainly not a wash after every ride guy but the bike and myself were legitimately covered in mud and grime. I'm sure that's why I previously stopped riding in the rain. As long as it isn't freezing, I really have no issues with it otherwise.
troyguitar

My compromise is to spray down the bike and my feet/sandals with the hose but not bother with soap. Not every ride though, pretty much only after I notice that the chain needs to be cleaned, since spraying the bike requires cleaning and lubing the chain afterward.

Eventually we plan to put in an outdoor shower of sorts which should make some of this easier.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:32 pm My compromise is to spray down the bike and my feet/sandals with the hose but not bother with soap. Not every ride though, pretty much only after I notice that the chain needs to be cleaned, since spraying the bike requires cleaning and lubing the chain afterward.

Eventually we plan to put in an outdoor shower of sorts which should make some of this easier.
That's :notbad:

Have you had any issues with anything rusting? I am always worried that if I spray it down, I'll have to dry it, if I'm putting a towel on it, I have to actually get the thing clean ( :fancy: paint problems). So I wind up doing a whole process of washing it, blowing it, cleaning the chain/gears, re-lubing... it's rather time consuming.

Outdoor showers are 5/7.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:32 pm My compromise is to spray down the bike and my feet/sandals with the hose but not bother with soap. Not every ride though, pretty much only after I notice that the chain needs to be cleaned, since spraying the bike requires cleaning and lubing the chain afterward.

Have you had any issues with anything rusting? I am always worried that if I spray it down, I'll have to dry it, if I'm putting a towel on it, I have to actually get the thing clean ( :fancy: paint problems). So I wind up doing a whole process of washing it, blowing it, cleaning the chain/gears, re-lubing... it's rather time consuming.

Outdoor showers are 5/7.
Oh I missed a step, I spray it with the hose and then hit it with a cordless leaf blower, then use the goofy park tool chain cleaner and finally hit it with chain lube.

It's still a long process that is a PITA, but it's way quicker than doing it right. Realistically adds about an hour to the ride... which is why I only do it occasionally.

inb4zildor claims he can do a full detail on his bike including waxing the calipers in 15 minutes start to finish, and that he does it after every single ride
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:54 pm
D Griff wrote:

Outdoor showers are 5/7.
Oh I missed a step, I spray it with the hose and then hit it with a cordless leaf blower, then use the goofy park tool chain cleaner and finally hit it with chain lube.

It's still a long process that is a PITA, but it's way quicker than doing it right. Realistically adds about an hour to the ride... which is why I only do it occasionally.

inb4zildor claims he can do a full detail on his bike including waxing the calipers in 15 minutes start to finish, and that he does it after every single ride
This is what YouTube seems to claim... but I would back up the one hour thing... Sometimes I really feel like I am just a slave to my possessions and the materialistic nature of America. :ohwell:

I do at least get a lot of joy and fitness out of my bike.
troyguitar

To be fair, if you live in suburbia and can have a permanently set up wash+service bay with all of the tools always on hand and you are doing it every day then I'm sure you can do a better and faster job than I do.

I don't have those kind of resources.

When I get home from a ride, I open the garage, put the bike inside, close the garage, take off half of my clothes, go inside and have a brotein shake and stretch, grab the key for my gate, open the garage, take bike and leafblower out, close garage, unlock gate, open gate, carry bike and leafblower into yard, close and re-lock gate, go around the house for the hose, carry it back to the bike and spray it down, hit the bike and my feet with the leafblower, go back inside through the house to the garage to swap the leafblower for the chain cleaner and rags and lube, clean the chain, spray down the chain cleaner with the hose, half-ass clean my hands with rags, walk the hose back around the house and turn the water off, walk back to the bike and lube the chain, carry the cleaner and lube and rags back inside through the house, open the garage and go out to the gate again, unlock and open it, pull the bike out, close and lock the gate, take bike back into the garage, put the bike lights on their chargers, close the garage, and finally go take a shower.

So yeah, about 5 minutes?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Can't say I've ever removed a chain from any of my bikes unless necessitated by some sort of repair.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:Can't say I've ever removed a chain from any of my bikes unless necessitated by some sort of repair.
If you have all of the right stuff on hand it's certainly easier/faster/better to take the chain and wheels off for cleaning.

I of course have my wheels held on with stupid security bolts so it's a PITA to remove them, plus I'm :scrooge: and don't have an actual wash/service stand to hold the bike up without wheels. :doomed:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:38 pm
D Griff wrote:Can't say I've ever removed a chain from any of my bikes unless necessitated by some sort of repair.
If you have all of the right stuff on hand it's certainly easier/faster/better to take the chain and wheels off for cleaning.

I of course have my wheels held on with stupid security bolts so it's a PITA to remove them, plus I'm :scrooge: and don't have an actual wash/service stand to hold the bike up without wheels. :doomed:
Maybe I'm dumb but I thought the master links could only be used to remove/install a few times per the manufacturer (this is what KMC says)? I guess with Shimano chains you just break it and install a new 'master pin' or whatever it's called each time?
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:38 pm If you have all of the right stuff on hand it's certainly easier/faster/better to take the chain and wheels off for cleaning.

Maybe I'm dumb but I thought the master links could only be used to remove/install a few times per the manufacturer (this is what KMC says)? I guess with Shimano chains you just break it and install a new 'master pin' or whatever it's called each time?
I re-use the master links ZFG. Newer shimano chains finally have the same style as KMC and SRAM, too, so they're all easy to use.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I wash my bike every 3 months. It has some dirt on it that’s at least that old right meow.

When I wash I dry it with a towel and then lube the chain at the very least. Usually scrub down the drivetrain though. It takes a while. Longer if I remove the chain and clean it appropriately.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:35 pm I wash my bike every 3 months. It has some dirt on it that’s at least that old right meow.

When I wash I dry it with a towel and then lube the chain at the very least. Usually scrub down the drivetrain though. It takes a while. Longer if I remove the chain and clean it appropriately.
Isn't it better to just wipe it down? Serious question, I have no idea.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:46 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:38 pm If you have all of the right stuff on hand it's certainly easier/faster/better to take the chain and wheels off for cleaning.

If it’s the removable link it can be reused. If it’s the older type break off pin that’s a single use. But. You CAN break the chain anywhere and reinstall the pin. The break away pin just makes lining things up easier.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:36 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:35 pm I wash my bike every 3 months. It has some dirt on it that’s at least that old right meow.

Isn't it better to just wipe it down? Serious question, I have no idea.
Probably. Like on older bikes the seals aren’t great on the bottom bracket and hubs so spraying them directly is a problem.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm thinkin I should just follow your and Troy's footsteps and just :aintcare:

I don't know why I was so :triggered: this morning about it, it was remarkably gross though.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:04 pm

I don't know why I was so :triggered: this morning about it, it was remarkably gross though.
5 minutes with a hose and chain lube gets you 90% of the job done. I hate looking at the bike super filthy and especially hate hearing the chain/gears be crunchy while I pedal, so I'm with you on that... but at the same time, I lived on my bike from like age 5 to 15 and maybe cleaned that thing once a year. Nothing ever failed.
Johnny_P

Man, Trek is absolutely slaying cannondale on the color schemes lately
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:04 pm

5 minutes with a hose and chain lube gets you 90% of the job done. I hate looking at the bike super filthy and especially hate hearing the chain/gears be crunchy while I pedal, so I'm with you on that... but at the same time, I lived on my bike from like age 5 to 15 and maybe cleaned that thing once a year. Nothing ever failed.
I only lube the chain when its squeaky enough to annoy me :lolol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:41 pm
:notwrong:

But our boy Zack was looking for a new 56cm SuperSix.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:41 pm

:notwrong:

But our boy Zack was looking for a new 56cm SuperSix.
I should probably just get an Emonda and be done with it. They look bomb. And Trek has been great to me in the past.