Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:03 pm I may be in the market for a new pair of gloves.
My gloves are trashed. What is the expert panel consensus on the best bike gloves?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:54 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:12 pm

My gloves are trashed. What is the expert panel consensus on the best bike gloves?
I’ve got nothing but good things to say about Bontrager gloves.

I used to be a fan of Giro gloves but I’ve got a brand new pair that are so uncomfortable they’re worthless to me. And the stitching quality is :poop:

Also, if you’re looking for something different, check out Handup gloves.
If they’re anything like Bontrager helmets, go for it. I bought a Bontrager Rally after trying on a few other from Giro and TLD and the difference in quality was noticeable, especially for the money. The TLD helmet was particularly bad, IMO.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:54 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:12 pm

I’ve got nothing but good things to say about Bontrager gloves.

I used to be a fan of Giro gloves but I’ve got a brand new pair that are so uncomfortable they’re worthless to me. And the stitching quality is :poop:

Also, if you’re looking for something different, check out Handup gloves.
:like: Thanks brah.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:27 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:01 pm Bloody hell.

What constitutes "keeping HR down"? I think we operate at roughly the same HR despite you putting out double the power. ~200 max, ~180 threshold

I'm still trying to figure out how to sit on the bike without destroying my neck/shoulders. Nothing feels remotely comfortable no matter how I adjust anything or how much rest I get.
Are you doing any core exercises, stretching, or yoga?

Also, staying below 140 is keeping my HR down. Which I did, for the most part. Only had one spike, where I sprinted to jump into a draft behind a Crosstranny cruising through the park access road - ended up cruising along at 38 MPH for a bit.
Tons of the first two, just starting yoga today. I probably spend ~60 mins a day on stretches but that seems to be addressing symptoms and not the cause: I think there must be something radically wrong with however I'm sitting on the bike. I can't seem to get much weight on the actual wide part of the saddle no matter what I try. One of those pro bike fitters with the saddle pressure mapping tool and more physical therapy knowledge seems like the answer. Every once in awhile (like maybe 30 seconds in an hour of riding) I feel like maybe my ass briefly gets into the right spot by accident and the feeling on the bike totally changes, but I have no idea how it got there or how to keep it there without keeping my arms 100% rigid in a futile attempt to do so. Then my arms get tired and I end up with my sit bones on the nose of the saddle as usual, with a bonus of a sore neck from pushing so much with my arms.

Yep, HR is indeed the same as mine pretty much. I can run/ride at ~135 bpm all day with minimal fatigue in my legs/lungs.
troyguitar

I already spent $200 and 4 hours with the only fitter within 2 hrs of here, of course a low tech guy with no medical knowledge. Tried every saddle and saddlepost combo. Tried closer and higher bars.

The reach isn't too far. My elbows never lock out - I keep my arms bent significantly but tensed at all times to hold myself back on the saddle. Holding myself up isn't the hard part.

Moving the cleats and saddle further back (not forward, the reach is not too far) helps a bit. Tilting the saddle waaay up in the air helps a bit too. Neither is enough to make it "right" but here's what felt the least bad recently:

troyguitar

Also, holy fuck, yoga is the hardest thing in the world. I can't do "easy pose"- or probably any pose, time will tell on that one.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:If my thoughts are correct though, the saddle being comfortable like that means you’re not rotating your pelvis forward enough when riding.
Yeah, same thought as mine. The whole cause pretty much has to be down to how I'm sitting. I don't know how to fix it, but that's got to be it.

I can tilt the saddle up even further than pictured (like 30 full degrees from horizontal) and ride it more comfortably than I can with it level. I have never felt any pressure on my :balls: on the bike, not once.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Second short ride on the bike on Zwift today after PT. I’m oh-so-close to being able to rest my right hand on the hoods... well, not so much rest but grab. I think that will get tiring pretty quickly as I have to tense so much of my forearm up to get in that position.

It looks like two months off the bike cost me the endurance I’d built up, and about 25 watts. After about 15 minutes I’m exhausted, mainly from trying to find a comfortable position for my arm.

Going to start with 20-25 minutes every other day for now and bump to 25-30 next week. Feels great to get the legs spinning.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:39 pm Second short ride on the bike on Zwift today after PT. I’m oh-so-close to being able to rest my right hand on the hoods... well, not so much rest but grab. I think that will get tiring pretty quickly as I have to tense so much of my forearm up to get in that position.

It looks like two months off the bike cost me the endurance I’d built up, and about 25 watts. After about 15 minutes I’m exhausted, mainly from trying to find a comfortable position for my arm.

Going to start with 20-25 minutes every other day for now and bump to 25-30 next week. Feels great to get the legs spinning.
:fuckyeah: It definitely beats nothing! Glad you're easing your way back into the saddle.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:39 am So, the CAAD is getting another dose of carbon.

Snagged these off a friend that works for Stan’s. He’s ridden them only a handful of times, barely used. The one question was... would a tubeless 28mm rim with a 28c tire fit a 2012 frame?

Somehow, they do. :fuckyeah:

:neat:

Do those rim brakes brake against the carbon? Or is there a metal spot they clamp against on the wheel?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:49 am
Apex wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:44 am

:neat:

Do those rim brakes brake against the carbon? Or is there a metal spot they clamp against on the wheel?
They brake against carbon - carbon wheels have come a long way since the early days, so they have highly engineered brake tracks designed for increasing friction and dissipating heat.

They do require special carbon-specific pads though, which are in the mail. So, can't ride the CAAD for a couple days.
That’s pretty nifty! Learned something new today.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:39 am So, the CAAD is getting another dose of carbon.

Snagged these off a friend that works for Stan’s. He’s ridden them only a handful of times, barely used. The one question was... would a tubeless 28mm rim with a 28c tire fit a 2012 frame?

Somehow, they do. :fuckyeah:

Meaty :megusta:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:megusta: the CAAD is looking like one sweet ass :boxodicks: with those :ramz:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:14 pm Also, holy fuck, yoga is the hardest thing in the world. I can't do "easy pose"- or probably any pose, time will tell on that one.
Yogurt will help increase your flexibility for sure
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:03 pm I may be in the market for a new pair of gloves.
My friends have been transitioning away from Handup and on to Handske (lol @ names) because the fingers are a little longer and the cuff is better. Supposedly. Worth looking into.
Johnny_P

Got my first ride in on the "Black Bibs Plus". I went with the :fancy: plus ones because the base ones don't have leg grippers which is :lolol: :nope:

So, thoughts on the $72 bibs? Not worth buying. Buy something legit that's on sale instead of these. It's worth the added $20 you'll spend.

Side panels are pretty flat and bunch up as a result. The bib part has a seam right on the top of your shoulder that digs in after a few minutes. There's a panel seam right on your peepee which is no bueno. And the pad itself feels ok I guess, hard to assess on a short ride... I'm sure it needs to be broken in. But it bunches up under my gooch. I could deal with them for 1.5 hrs but a ~4 hr longer ride? Dunno. They wouldn't be the ones I'd grab.

My Ornot, Rapha core, Pactimo, and even my cheaper Castelli pairs were vastly superior and IMO worth the price increase over these.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:07 pm Got my first ride in on the "Black Bibs Plus". I went with the :fancy: plus ones because the base ones don't have leg grippers which is :lolol: :nope:

So, thoughts on the $72 bibs? Not worth buying. Buy something legit that's on sale instead of these. It's worth the added $20 you'll spend.

Side panels are pretty flat and bunch up as a result. The bib part has a seam right on the top of your shoulder that digs in after a few minutes. There's a panel seam right on your peepee which is no bueno. And the pad itself feels ok I guess, hard to assess on a short ride... I'm sure it needs to be broken in. But it bunches up under my gooch. I could deal with them for 1.5 hrs but a ~4 hr longer ride? Dunno. They wouldn't be the ones I'd grab.

My Ornot, Rapha core, Pactimo, and even my cheaper Castelli pairs were vastly superior and IMO worth the price increase over these.
The basic ones don’t have leg grippers?

That being said, I think the bang for the buck is with the basic black bibs, especially if you’ve never worn cycling clothing before. The pricing can be a bit of a shock for the higher end stuff (but it lasts longer, and it’s an investment).
They do not. And since I'm not really one to bring back the Apollo Creed running outfit of the 80s, I opted to pay the added $20 or whatever for bibs that had all of the basic features cycling clothing should have.
troyguitar

I have $20 amazon shorts, they seem fine. :wrong:

I also got one step closer to solving the mystery today. The past few rides on the trainer I have suddenly felt multiple times like my seat clamp had come loose and I was about to fall backward off the bike... yet the clamp was tight and the seat had not moved at all. It's a really really weird and unsettling sensation. Today for the first time I was able to suppress my reaction enough to let that "fall" happen - and I think it might have been my pelvis actually rotating forward into the "right" position on the saddle.

I'm :notsure: if that's really it, nor how/why it finally happened, nor whether I'll be able to reproduce it in the future, but there's some hope that after ~1500 miles my body might be starting to be able to function on a bicycle. As usual, everything is more work for me which is why everyone thinks that I'm lazy and don't try hard at anything. I'm a slow fucking learner.
Johnny_P

I miss bikes
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tour de France starts today. Shitty and rainy there, too.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:51 amI miss bikes
:dat:

Definitely itching to ride again, but I have no way to escape from the minions.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:45 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:51 amI miss bikes
:dat:

Definitely itching to ride again, but I have no way to escape from the minions.
Same
troyguitar

So it seems like I was on the right track, as was [user not found]. It apparently took 1500 miles of riding plus weeks and weeks of stretches and exercises to develop a tiny amount of mobility in my hips.

I was sitting entirely :wrong: on the saddle the whole time because I couldn't move my hips. Everything I did to the bike was a waste of time and money, the problem was my own stupid body all along. :troywax:

I guess I need to start over on finding the "right" saddle, but in theory I should be able to ride a bike now. Finally. Time will tell if I caused myself permanent nerve damage during all of this, one hand did get back to 100% but the one that I actually need has been stuck at 90% for weeks.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:48 pm So it seems like I was on the right track, as was [user not found]. It apparently took 1500 miles of riding plus weeks and weeks of stretches and exercises to develop a tiny amount of mobility in my hips.

I was sitting entirely :wrong: on the saddle the whole time because I couldn't move my hips. Everything I did to the bike was a waste of time and money, the problem was my own stupid body all along. :troywax:

I guess I need to start over on finding the "right" saddle, but in theory I should be able to ride a bike now. Finally. Time will tell if I caused myself permanent nerve damage during all of this, one hand did get back to 100% but the one that I actually need has been stuck at 90% for weeks.
I’m struggling to picture how you were sitting on the bike... have you been curving your lower back at your hips or has your back been straight this whole time?

I’ve never really focused on how my posture is on the road bike... just that my general hand/knee/foot positions are right. I struggle with taint numbness after around 45-60 minutes and I’m wondering if I’m in a similar “wrong” position.

Although right now I’m a mess because of my arm positioning and just all over the place.
Apex

Tomorrow’s ride should be purdy!