Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:39 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:17 pm :impressive:

I don't eat until after I have ridden the bike every day. No exceptions. Gotta get the fuck into shape, this is disgusting to be so weak and slow.
I exercise every day... but not MTB.

Usually this is my routine:

Monday - 1-1.5 hours of running followed by a 3-4 mile run
Tuesday - 2 hour road bike ride or MTB ride
Wednesday - 1-1.5 hours of running followed by a 3-4 mile run
Thursday - 2 hour road bike ride or MTB ride
Friday - -1-1.5 hours of running followed by a 3-4 mile run
Saturday - work outside :manuel: labor from like 8-6 (yard work, car work, house shit)
Sunday - 1-2 hour bike ride or run + a few more hours of yard shit

Actually, I think I'd be fucking dead if I did that. 2+ hours of intense exercise every fucking day, most of which is high impact running and you're 200 or so lbs? How do you have any knees left? :impressive:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:39 pm

I exercise every day... but not MTB.

Usually this is my routine:

Monday - 1-1.5 hours of running followed by a 3-4 mile run
Tuesday - 2 hour road bike ride or MTB ride
Wednesday - 1-1.5 hours of running followed by a 3-4 mile run
Thursday - 2 hour road bike ride or MTB ride
Friday - -1-1.5 hours of running followed by a 3-4 mile run
Saturday - work outside :manuel: labor from like 8-6 (yard work, car work, house shit)
Sunday - 1-2 hour bike ride or run + a few more hours of yard shit

Actually, I think I'd be fucking dead if I did that. 2+ hours of intense exercise every fucking day, most of which is high impact running and you're 200 or so lbs? How do you have any knees left? :impressive:
Only run about twice a week, one of those weekdays I normally don't have enough time or sub it out with cutting the grass or something. I'm only like 180 pounds now :doe:
troyguitar

Must've been a typo in there, did you mean lifting MWF not running? Either way, damn that is a huge fucking time commitment. Plus working plus having friends plus :doge: plus :dock: plus playing in bands and singing in choirs and taking vacations and actually having a relationship with family and doing DFD and trackdaybro, do you never sleep? I'm seriously impressed and don't see how it's even physically possible to do all that.

Apparently I need to shut the fuck up and chop my ass off so that I can ride the bike 2 hrs a day at a bare minimum.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:03 pm Must've been a typo in there, did you mean lifting MWF not running? Either way, damn that is a huge fucking time commitment. Plus working plus having friends plus :doge: plus :dock: plus playing in bands and singing in choirs and taking vacations and actually having a relationship with family and doing DFD and trackdaybro, do you never sleep? I'm seriously impressed and don't see how it's even physically possible to do all that.

Apparently I need to shut the fuck up and chop my ass off so that I can ride the bike 2 hrs a day at a bare minimum.
Yeah looking back at that I think it would be more accurate to chop off one or two runs - typically in a week it's like three lifting sessions, three bike rides, two runs plus the yard work :bs:

I don't really play music anymore right now. During the work week I pretty much only exercise, work (which includes DFD/internet :bs: ), sleep, eat and do basic house shit like cleaning the dishes. I don't typically watch TV or anything, I may read for like 30 minutes as I fall asleep, talk to the wife during meals, etc.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:58 pm :mahtroy: - found a road for you to try, locally: https://www.strava.com/segments/1120791

Looks to be fairly low traffic, no double yellow lines or anything. 2.85 miles long, average grade of 5%. Ride this up, and if you take it up to Markle Hollow Rd, that's gravel. Or come down College ave. Looks like a nice descent, likely paved, runs next to a creek. Seems difficult to get across the river from south Corning, but there seems to be some gold in them hills.

Also, another one I just found: https://www.strava.com/segments/10045429
So I can't see the "heat maps" because I'm not a :fancy: platinum member, but just looking at those two segments for example: the closer/shorter one ends up being a 15 mile round trip with just over 1000 ft of climbing. I guess that's starting "easy"? :thisisfine:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:11 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:03 pm Must've been a typo in there, did you mean lifting MWF not running? Either way, damn that is a huge fucking time commitment. Plus working plus having friends plus :doge: plus :dock: plus playing in bands and singing in choirs and taking vacations and actually having a relationship with family and doing DFD and trackdaybro, do you never sleep? I'm seriously impressed and don't see how it's even physically possible to do all that.

Yeah looking back at that I think it would be more accurate to chop off one or two runs - typically in a week it's like three lifting sessions, three bike rides, two runs plus the yard work :bs:

I don't really play music anymore right now. During the work week I pretty much only exercise, work (which includes DFD/internet :bs: ), sleep, eat and do basic house shit like cleaning the dishes. I don't typically watch TV or anything, I may read for like 30 minutes as I fall asleep, talk to the wife during meals, etc.
:word:

That sounds a lot more humanly possible, just different priorities. I still try to spend at least 4 hrs a day on music, though some days do end up being more like 4 minutes of noodling on guitar just to say that I played that day.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:12 pm 60 minutes is still hell on my ass but I'm starting to feel some improvements in the other areas. Bumping the HR up from ~130 to ~140 for an hour ride kicked power up from ~90 to ~120 watts and speed from 14 to 16 mph, all without really feeling any harder to me. The only thing preventing me from keeping that pace up for a longer time is the pain from pressure on my ass+wrists, not muscle burn in my legs. You guys don't seem to be talking about the same kind of pain that I am...

I feel like I could sustain 150 bpm almost indefinitely, but my ass+wrists are fucking killing me from the pressure by the time I've done 50-60 minutes.

My neck/shoulders are starting to get a lot better though from a combination of stretches, practice, relaxing, and chemical muscle relaxers (read: alcohol). At this point I have no more plans to make any physical changes to the bike/bars/whatever, my super high rise 100mm stem and drop bar combo seems to be the best setup I can get for now. :whocares:
Wrists? Try tilting your bars upwards a hair?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:11 pm

:word:

That sounds a lot more humanly possible, just different priorities. I still try to spend at least 4 hrs a day on music, though some days do end up being more like 4 minutes of noodling on guitar just to say that I played that day.
:dat: I do miss music... but at this point I'm just kind of demotivated for it. I liked playing in the band as it forced me to keep practicing/playing, I do enjoy music more with others versus solo.
Johnny_P

I ride 2x a week. Other than that I walk doggie 2x a day.
Johnny_P

I played bikes today. Anyone else play bikes?

16 whatever miles, just an hour long Belmont quickie.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:I played bikes today. Anyone else play bikes?

I rode on the :wrong: side of the road.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/Tu8guZRUh7

Stopped for a break at 30 minutes to give my ass a rest and do a few sets of my neck/shoulder stretches, that made a huge difference in keeping the second half hour less painful. I should probably do that every time, maybe even every 20 minutes instead of 30 for awhile. The tension I get in my upper body is nuts, when I do the stretch I can feel crunchiness, tingles, pops, etc. (it's not unique to bikes, it has been happening every time I do anything strenous and some days even when I haven't done anything at all)

A few minutes of stretching and I'm good to go for a bit :doe: so I guess :thisisfine:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:05 pm
Johnny_P wrote:I played bikes today. Anyone else play bikes?

I rode on the :wrong: side of the road.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/Tu8guZRUh7

Stopped for a break at 30 minutes to give my ass a rest and do a few sets of my neck/shoulder stretches, that made a huge difference in keeping the second half hour less painful. I should probably do that every time, maybe even every 20 minutes instead of 30 for awhile. The tension I get in my upper body is nuts, when I do the stretch I can feel crunchiness, tingles, pops, etc. (it's not unique to bikes, it has been happening every time I do anything strenous and some days even when I haven't done anything at all)

A few minutes of stretching and I'm good to go for a bit :doe: so I guess :thisisfine:
:stig:
troyguitar

It's incredible how much easier and faster everything goes when I'm not in a ton of pain.

I guess I need to get a phone mount or some kind of smart watch before I get outside :doe: because I really need that HR monitor visible. Without it I'll go :fullretard: at 200 bpm until I have to stop. I have no self control.

A real power meter would be nice too so I could not feel as bad about being slow as fuck on the hills here, but those are :waxer:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:55 pm It's incredible how much easier and faster everything goes when I'm not in a ton of pain.

I guess I need to get a phone mount or some kind of smart watch before I get outside :doe: because I really need that HR monitor visible. Without it I'll go :fullretard: at 200 bpm until I have to stop. I have no self control.

A real power meter would be nice too so I could not feel as bad about being slow as fuck on the hills here, but those are :waxer:
I’ve trained by HR for years - it’d be a wise investment.
Are the wrist based HRMs actually any good? I have a bluetooth chest strap which works well except for eating expensive CR2025 batteries and requiring pairing to a phone or whatever to see, so bare minimum I need a phone mount. Dunno if my phone battery will then be up to the task :doe: if I use the display 100% of the time. Probably not.
troyguitar

Polar H7 seems to need a battery once a month, so maybe 20-30 hrs of use.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:44 pm Polar H7 seems to need a battery once a month, so maybe 20-30 hrs of use.
:wat:

That's insane. It should just be USB rechargeable at that rate.
Being USB rechargeable is a big draw for the watches vs the chest straps.

I could also have gotten a shitty old package of batteries, this is a very small sample size (2 batteries) and I haven't put a voltmeter to them.

Dunno. There are so many damn options and compatibility matrices and tradeoffs and costs involved that this all can get nuts very quickly. It's easier to just stay inside where I already have HR, cadence, power, and a big screen with maps up. To replicate that outside is $$$$.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:03 am Image
:fuckyeah:

I should’ve bought a chain locally, waiting isn’t fun :sass:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:

Did you order 2 so you have a spare? I've tried to have basically every tool for my bike and a spare for most things on hand here. Don't have any shift or brake cables though, I should probably get some before I need them.
Johnny_P

Braaaaaaap!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:47 am
D Griff wrote:

Did you order 2 so you have a spare? I've tried to have basically every tool for my bike and a spare for most things on hand here. Don't have any shift or brake cables though, I should probably get some before I need them.
Nah I have spare tubes and stuff but maybe I shouldn’t gotten a spare chain. It wasn’t the cheapest thing though.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:47 am Did you order 2 so you have a spare? I've tried to have basically every tool for my bike and a spare for most things on hand here. Don't have any shift or brake cables though, I should probably get some before I need them.
Nah I have spare tubes and stuff but maybe I shouldn’t gotten a spare chain. It wasn’t the cheapest thing though.
Ahh yeah that's one good thing about my cheapo bike, all of the parts are cheap.
troyguitar

So being able to ride with less intense pain has allowed me to focus on all of the other little things causing discomfort. Today I made 4 small adjustments to the seat and pedals and got to the point where it almost felt decent for a few minutes. Riding for almost 90 minutes today felt less bad than riding for 60 or less minutes on any day before today. I'm still :notsure: how people can do this for 8+ hours but as long as I keep my HR around 150 I can see doing 2 hours fairly easily. Adding a lot of "hills" today didn't seem to make any real difference besides lowering the "speeds" - as long as I watch HR, power, and cadence it seems like I can roll along without issue.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3615257567

:whocares:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Sram dropping new colors for the GX and above lines; which includes copper!
I may need to grab a wheel set to stick a copper GX cassette on. :muah:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:27 am

Top tip:

You should have bought two.