Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I had to throw out 2 pair of bib shorts today. A pair of 3 year old Raphas, and a pair of 5+ year old Castellis. The Castelli bibs I hardly ever wore because they were too tight. The Raphas were a typical go-to for me, but only 3 years.... They should have lasted longer than that. Turned into screen doors.

I just ordered a pair of The Black Bibs for $72 shipped. Will see how they work out. Once I get a job I'll order some real cycling gear to replace this mess. And some sunglasses because mine are fucking donezo.

:sad:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Hell yeah, [user not found]! That’s awesome and looks like an awesome trip!
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote:I had to throw out 2 pair of bib shorts today. A pair of 3 year old Raphas, and a pair of 5+ year old Castellis. The Castelli bibs I hardly ever wore because they were too tight. The Raphas were a typical go-to for me, but only 3 years.... They should have lasted longer than that. Turned into screen doors.

I just ordered a pair of The Black Bibs for $72 shipped. Will see how they work out. Once I get a job I'll order some real cycling gear to replace this mess. And some sunglasses because mine are fucking donezo.

:sad:
In4reviews.

Also, I’m eyeing up a set of Roka glasses. Might finally be time to retire my 20 year old Native Dash XPs.
There's a strava challenge that you've probably already completed the requirements for, that gives you $50 off their glasses :notbad:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Well I checked out the neighbor's newer Trek Checkpoint for a minute around the block last night. Way too small so I couldn't really get a feel for how the bike itself rides, but her Tiagra 4700 double front shifter is light years easier/better/faster than the Claris 2403 one on my bike. The hydraulic brakes she has are also pretty great.

Are 2x front shifters generally lower effort than 3x? I know that they're "better" in that they're easier to set up. It's really hard to even find 3x front shifters these days but in theory they still make up to a Tiagra 4703.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

@[user not found], thanks for sharing all the pics, looks like an awesome trip!

Would definitely be down for a DFD :boxodicks: :dock: up there. I think the wife would actually enjoy camping and stuff and some shorter greenway rides as well; I imagine she'd skip the tougher stuff but that's OK.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:54 am Well I checked out the neighbor's newer Trek Checkpoint for a minute around the block last night. Way too small so I couldn't really get a feel for how the bike itself rides, but her Tiagra 4700 double front shifter is light years easier/better/faster than the Claris 2403 one on my bike. The hydraulic brakes she has are also pretty great.

Are 2x front shifters generally lower effort than 3x? I know that they're "better" in that they're easier to set up. It's really hard to even find 3x front shifters these days but in theory they still make up to a Tiagra 4703.
I'm not sure on the effort... IIRC my old Trek MTB (4300) was a 3X8 and it always worked OK. It sounds like your shifter just sucks or something is wrong with it? I've never heard of changing gears on a bike being that high effort.

I am not sure what I prefer on the road for front cogs... my road bike is effectively a 1X6 and I am finally starting to get to the point where I think a higher gear would actually be useful. I enjoy the 2X on my MTB as I basically use the small cog for all trail stuff and the large for all road stuff, which works out pretty perfect.

How was the Checkpoint other than the shifting? Anything of note about it? I have been looking at those, the Emonda and Domane among others, but now I a really leaning more towards the Ribble English thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

While not my longest ride, I’d say this morning was my biggest. I watched some videos on bike fitting last night and made a slight upward rotation of my handlebars and the elbow discomfort I had been experiencing all but went away, pretty much everything felt better. Now I need to get to working but recovering a bit from the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P

If anyone wants a 1x12 Sram NX Eagle drivetrain for mountain bike let me know. Friend of a friend's dog's mom's yoga partner is selling a groupset. Ask is around $250 which I believe includes brakes.

EDIT: Brakes are additional $60 apparently. I assume all prices are somewhat negotiable...
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:54 am Well I checked out the neighbor's newer Trek Checkpoint for a minute around the block last night. Way too small so I couldn't really get a feel for how the bike itself rides, but her Tiagra 4700 double front shifter is light years easier/better/faster than the Claris 2403 one on my bike. The hydraulic brakes she has are also pretty great.

Tiagra is some weird one off 10 speed that doesn't work with older 10 speed stuff from Shimano. It's a bit of a weird group. BUT it shifts just as nicely as 105 and therefore Ultegra.

There shouldn't be any effort difference between 2x and 3x. 3x just has another ratchet stop and can wind up a bit more cable in the shifter head. But they're basically the same. Shimano made massive improvements in lever feel and use, and reliability, with their 11 speed drivetrains. That tech then back filtered to Tiagra, where they lopped a gear off to get 10 speeds. Which is why Tiagra 4700 doesn't work with anything else.

I'd still go 105. I think that it's an incredible groupset. 105 used to be kind of meh, but now it's solidly up there with Ultegra, and really there's no point in Ultegra other than to save a tiny bit of weight and get the badge.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am While not my longest ride, I’d say this morning was my biggest. I watched some videos on bike fitting last night and made a slight upward rotation of my handlebars and the elbow discomfort I had been experiencing all but went away, pretty much everything felt better. Now I need to get to working but recovering a bit from the ride.

Small changes can make a big comfort difference. We gotta get you on a current bike. It is time.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:14 am

I'm not sure on the effort... IIRC my old Trek MTB (4300) was a 3X8 and it always worked OK. It sounds like your shifter just sucks or something is wrong with it? I've never heard of changing gears on a bike being that high effort.

I am not sure what I prefer on the road for front cogs... my road bike is effectively a 1X6 and I am finally starting to get to the point where I think a higher gear would actually be useful. I enjoy the 2X on my MTB as I basically use the small cog for all trail stuff and the large for all road stuff, which works out pretty perfect.

How was the Checkpoint other than the shifting? Anything of note about it? I have been looking at those, the Emonda and Domane among others, but now I a really leaning more towards the Ribble English thing.
There were points while riding my Cervelo that I couldn't physically shift the front derailleur in either direction due to fatigue. Sram road shifters are much higher effort in general though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:37 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:14 am

There were points while riding my Cervelo that I couldn't physically shift the front derailleur in either direction due to fatigue. Sram road shifters are much higher effort in general though.
Is this a road bike specific thing? I've never really ridden a "real" road bike, but quite a few mountain bikes and they tend to shift pretty easily. All of the road bikes I've ridden have friction shifters so :iono:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:39 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:37 am

Is this a road bike specific thing? I've never really ridden a "real" road bike, but quite a few mountain bikes and they tend to shift pretty easily. All of the road bikes I've ridden have friction shifters so :iono:
Not necessarily. Sram was harder to push than Shimano. But resulted in a much crisper and faster shift. Depends on what you want.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31 am

Tiagra is some weird one off 10 speed that doesn't work with older 10 speed stuff from Shimano. It's a bit of a weird group. BUT it shifts just as nicely as 105 and therefore Ultegra.

There shouldn't be any effort difference between 2x and 3x. 3x just has another ratchet stop and can wind up a bit more cable in the shifter head. But they're basically the same. Shimano made massive improvements in lever feel and use, and reliability, with their 11 speed drivetrains. That tech then back filtered to Tiagra, where they lopped a gear off to get 10 speeds. Which is why Tiagra 4700 doesn't work with anything else.

I'd still go 105. I think that it's an incredible groupset. 105 used to be kind of meh, but now it's solidly up there with Ultegra, and really there's no point in Ultegra other than to save a tiny bit of weight and get the badge.
I kind of want the Tiagra stuff now. It's like half the price of 105 and the hydraulic shifters+calipers cost less than mechanical shifters alone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-ST-RS4 ... 0010.m2109

I'm not finding a pair of mechanical shifters, whether 4700 tiagra or 5800/7000 105, for less than that.

Weirdly, also in the 10-speed world you can get all sorts of 11-36 cassettes but there are very few in 11-speed. Shimano jumps straight from 11-34 up to 11-40. Tiagra hydraulic levers, 11-36 MTB cassette, 105 GS rear derailleur, and any old 50/34 10-speed crank that nobody wants anymore... should be the equivalent performance of pretty much any new :fancy: bike for "cheap" i.e. still bloody $500 or so in parts.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:48 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31 am

I kind of want the Tiagra stuff now. It's like half the price of 105 and the hydraulic shifters+calipers cost less than mechanical shifters alone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-ST-RS4 ... 0010.m2109

I'm not finding a pair of mechanical shifters, whether 4700 tiagra or 5800/7000 105, for less than that.

Weirdly, also in the 10-speed world you can get all sorts of 11-36 cassettes but there are very few in 11-speed. Shimano jumps straight from 11-34 up to 11-40. Tiagra hydraulic levers, 11-36 MTB cassette, 105 GS rear derailleur, and any old 50/34 10-speed crank that nobody wants anymore... should be the equivalent performance of pretty much any new :fancy: bike for "cheap" i.e. still bloody $500 or so in parts.
Sram and Shimano use the same gear spacing for 11 speed, so you can use any 11 speed cassette from either brand. E13 and Sunrace also make some. Sram has an 11-36, it's what I use with my 105 11 speed.

Yeah looks like prices got way out of hand for Shimano groupsets. Don't know why. Can't buy them from chain reaction or wiggle anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:33 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am While not my longest ride, I’d say this morning was my biggest. I watched some videos on bike fitting last night and made a slight upward rotation of my handlebars and the elbow discomfort I had been experiencing all but went away, pretty much everything felt better. Now I need to get to working but recovering a bit from the ride.

Small changes can make a big comfort difference. We gotta get you on a current bike. It is time.
I am currently tire kicking Johnny style.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:58 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:33 am

I am currently tire kicking Johnny style.
:impressive:
Johnny_P

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:waxer: But I like that a lot... most of Cannondale's stuff really needs to have the color game upped, that orange is nice.

I posted it the other day but my boss turned me onto this which looks pretty sweet: https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-e ... imano-105/ Fully customized paint schemes as well. No way to test it out though.

I need to get off my ass and hit up the local place that has Cannondale and Trek and try a few things.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:16 pm
:waxer: But I like that a lot... most of Cannondale's stuff really needs to have the color game upped, that orange is nice.

I posted it the other day but my boss turned me onto this which looks pretty sweet: https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-e ... imano-105/ Fully customized paint schemes as well. No way to test it out though.

I need to get off my ass and hit up the local place that has Cannondale and Trek and try a few things.
That is sweet. Yeah Cannondale's color game has been awful lately. Trek has been on point.
Being that bike shops don't have stock, and aren't open, might as well go mail order :iono:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:27 am If anyone wants a 1x12 Sram NX Eagle drivetrain for mountain bike let me know. Friend of a friend's dog's mom's yoga partner is selling a groupset. Ask is around $250 which I believe includes brakes.

EDIT: Brakes are additional $60 apparently. I assume all prices are somewhat negotiable...
Where was this last week when I bought an SLX kit for the wife’s new build. Dammit.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:27 am If anyone wants a 1x12 Sram NX Eagle drivetrain for mountain bike let me know. Friend of a friend's dog's mom's yoga partner is selling a groupset. Ask is around $250 which I believe includes brakes.

Where was this last week when I bought an SLX kit for the wife’s new build. Dammit.
I should buy a FS frame and Bomber Z2 and build something up with this. But I won't. But I should.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:16 pm

That is sweet. Yeah Cannondale's color game has been awful lately. Trek has been on point.
Being that bike shops don't have stock, and aren't open, might as well go mail order :iono:
Trek definitely has the best colors of the Big 4 right now. But yeah, part of my lack of motivation in going to try shit is that there isn't anywhere with multiple things for me to even check out. There might be one random carbon road bike, some other aluminum gravel bike, etc. Makes it tough to compare. Ordering online though... :iono: what if it doesn't fit properly? The Orbea from Jenson USA has worked out rather well :doe:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:34 pm

Trek definitely has the best colors of the Big 4 right now. But yeah, part of my lack of motivation in going to try shit is that there isn't anywhere with multiple things for me to even check out. There might be one random carbon road bike, some other aluminum gravel bike, etc. Makes it tough to compare. Ordering online though... :iono: what if it doesn't fit properly? The Orbea from Jenson USA has worked out rather well :doe:
Always worthwhile to see what return policies are, and speak with someone at that company to guide you through sizing. I have not looked into this so I don't know.

There are a few of these consumer direct brands. I think Fezzari sells road and gravel type bikes in addition to their very well reviewed MTB range. And Canyon as well. Commencal and YT I believe are both MTB only but not sure on that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:52 pm

Always worthwhile to see what return policies are, and speak with someone at that company to guide you through sizing. I have not looked into this so I don't know.

There are a few of these consumer direct brands. I think Fezzari sells road and gravel type bikes in addition to their very well reviewed MTB range. And Canyon as well. Commencal and YT I believe are both MTB only but not sure on that.
Yeah, I have been looking at the Canyon options, they seem to be really well reviewed. Their bikes all kind of look weird though. I am vain with bikes apparently.

My boss started me down the path, he has been cycling/racing for 20+ years and was very excited about the direct brands being the way to go when I asked him about it.

The Ribble stands out to me because the company has been around for 100+ years and is English, the bike has won a lot of awards with reviewers, the value is knuts, and the custom paint configuration is dope.

$2K is just a lot of cashola to throw down without seeing it.