Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:18 pm Dunno what to make of my stupid arm/hand, but my legs are continuing to get waaaay better.

I did my old 10 mile loop from last year again this morning. My pace was basically the same as before, but at 130 bpm just cruising instead of 175 bpm killing myself. On the hill into the neighborhood I only got down to my 26/24 gear instead of huffing and puffing in 26/32.

It's frustrating to think that I probably need to take some time off for my arm to heal, but I need my fretting hand at 100% more than I need to ride a bike. Pretty soon I might otherwise be able to handle "regular weak ass pussy" gearing like 50/34 and 11-34.
Did you crash?
Nah. I kind of wish I had. I'm just a sensitive snowflake. More than about 30ish minutes on the bike and my ass starts hurting until I lean on my hands, at which point my hands start going numb, then I lean back until my ass hurts too much and I start over.

A short "easy" 12 mph ride over almost 5 hours on Friday has left my hand weak and slightly numb for 3 days now though. I'd take pain over this. I can play in pain. I can't play like this. I'm slow and when I bend strings they are out of tune now. Dunno what to do yet.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Did you crash?
Nah. I kind of wish I had. I'm just a sensitive snowflake. More than about 30ish minutes on the bike and my ass starts hurting until I lean on my hands, at which point my hands start going numb, then I lean back until my ass hurts too much and I start over.

A short "easy" 12 mph ride over almost 5 hours on Friday has left my hand weak and slightly numb for 3 days now though. I'd take pain over this. I can play in pain. I can't play like this. I'm slow and when I bend strings they are out of tune now. Dunno what to do yet.
Very strange. I know the numb hand feeling, but I'd never had it last past the ride. Try some simple stretches, mostly for your upper back...maybe you've got something out of whack from the ride?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Did you crash?

https://www.velominati.com/

Rule 5: Harden the fuck up
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:31 pm Nah. I kind of wish I had. I'm just a sensitive snowflake. More than about 30ish minutes on the bike and my ass starts hurting until I lean on my hands, at which point my hands start going numb, then I lean back until my ass hurts too much and I start over.

Very strange. I know the numb hand feeling, but I'd never had it last past the ride. Try some simple stretches, mostly for your upper back...maybe you've got something out of whack from the ride?
Yeah this is the first time I've had it persist after getting off the bike. I assume it's no coincidence that it was also my longest ride AND that I was dehydrated near the end... but 3 days later I should be OK. It's not like I'm in garbage shape or leaning 300+ lbs on my hands. Dunno. For now I'm trying a combo of NSAIDs and alcohol and stretches and keeping bike rides low stress.

Were it not for the virus shit I'd go see a PT. If it persists I guess I'll go anyway. This is just plain scary for me.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Very strange. I know the numb hand feeling, but I'd never had it last past the ride. Try some simple stretches, mostly for your upper back...maybe you've got something out of whack from the ride?
Yeah this is the first time I've had it persist after getting off the bike. I assume it's no coincidence that it was also my longest ride AND that I was dehydrated near the end... but 3 days later I should be OK. It's not like I'm in garbage shape or leaning 300+ lbs on my hands. Dunno. For now I'm trying a combo of NSAIDs and alcohol and stretches and keeping bike rides low stress.

Were it not for the virus shit I'd go see a PT. If it persists I guess I'll go anyway. This is just plain scary for me.
Yeah that's odd dude. I've never had something numb or weak for that long. Worst for me is usually after a long ride my hands may be tingly for a few hours.

A few questions....
-Do you ride with gloves, and if so which?
-Are your arms fully extended and locked when you're riding normally?
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Very strange. I know the numb hand feeling, but I'd never had it last past the ride. Try some simple stretches, mostly for your upper back...maybe you've got something out of whack from the ride?

I've had dehydration linger in weird ways before.

Last Wednesday, I did too much, got dehydrated, and it took me out of commission for all of Thursday with blurred vision, terrible headache, aches, and general feeling of exhaustion. I didn't feel 100% until Saturday. Water didn't cut it either, I needed something with more in it, mostly sweetened green tea and gatoraide.

It is possible the dehydration is still lingering.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 pm Yeah this is the first time I've had it persist after getting off the bike. I assume it's no coincidence that it was also my longest ride AND that I was dehydrated near the end... but 3 days later I should be OK. It's not like I'm in garbage shape or leaning 300+ lbs on my hands. Dunno. For now I'm trying a combo of NSAIDs and alcohol and stretches and keeping bike rides low stress.

Yeah that's odd dude. I've never had something numb or weak for that long. Worst for me is usually after a long ride my hands may be tingly for a few hours.

A few questions....
No gloves and no full lock/extension but I do have a bad habit of tensing up basically my whole upper body, especially when I am trying harder like over 140 or 150 bpm. I can't really relax on the bike yet for any length of time. It's why I drink a lot after rides - and during longer rides. Without a boozy water bottle I can't ride longer than ~2 hours before being in intense pain.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

A few questions....
No gloves and no full lock/extension but I do have a bad habit of tensing up basically my whole upper body, especially when I am trying harder like over 140 or 150 bpm. I can't really relax on the bike yet for any length of time. It's why I drink a lot after rides - and during longer rides. Without a boozy water bottle I can't ride longer than ~2 hours before being in intense pain.
Alcohol helping with athletic performance is the most :notsure: thing I've ever heard.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:43 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:56 pm No gloves and no full lock/extension but I do have a bad habit of tensing up basically my whole upper body, especially when I am trying harder like over 140 or 150 bpm. I can't really relax on the bike yet for any length of time. It's why I drink a lot after rides - and during longer rides. Without a boozy water bottle I can't ride longer than ~2 hours before being in intense pain.
Alcohol helping with athletic performance is the most :notsure: thing I've ever heard.
Alcohol actually makes me better at just about every sport (I am very un-athletic by nature). I tend to psych myself out and have no confidence physically, with a bit of booze, I am far more relaxed and tend to perform better. :iono: it's a thing.

That said, it's extremely rare that I actually engage in alcohol consumption while doing any exercise.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:56 pm No gloves and no full lock/extension but I do have a bad habit of tensing up basically my whole upper body, especially when I am trying harder like over 140 or 150 bpm. I can't really relax on the bike yet for any length of time. It's why I drink a lot after rides - and during longer rides. Without a boozy water bottle I can't ride longer than ~2 hours before being in intense pain.
Well... I'm not going faster with alcohol. It just hurts less. I'm faster without it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:53 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Alcohol actually makes me better at just about every sport (I am very un-athletic by nature). I tend to psych myself out and have no confidence physically, with a bit of booze, I am far more relaxed and tend to perform better. :iono: it's a thing.

That said, it's extremely rare that I actually engage in alcohol consumption while doing any exercise.
:hai:

I'm terrible with sports and anything remotely athletic. The other night I smoked a lot and wife was tossing me veggie scraps to go in the compost bin as she was chopping. I was tossing them into the bin from ~10 feet away and making every one. She and I were :mindblown: because that's usually impossible for me.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:57 pm
coogles wrote:
Well... I'm not going faster with alcohol. It just hurts less. I'm faster without it.
So...alcohol does dehydrate you more...it's possible you got REALLY dehydrated on your ride.

You should try an edible with THC in it before your ride. The right dose will just take the pain away but not give you much of a high feeling. I've done this frequently with zero negative side effects.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:57 pm Well... I'm not going faster with alcohol. It just hurts less. I'm faster without it.
So...alcohol does dehydrate you more...it's possible you got REALLY dehydrated on your ride.

You should try an edible with THC in it before your ride. The right dose will just take the pain away but not give you much of a high feeling. I've done this frequently with zero negative side effects.
It's not just possible. I know that I got really dehydrated on that ride. I still don't understand why I'm feeling it 3 days later though. That's what scares me. I can make future improvements, but 3+ days at a time of problems is basically unacceptable.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:07 pm
Detroit wrote: So...alcohol does dehydrate you more...it's possible you got REALLY dehydrated on your ride.

It's not just possible. I know that I got really dehydrated on that ride. I still don't understand why I'm feeling it 3 days later though. That's what scares me. I can make future improvements, but 3+ days at a time of problems is basically unacceptable.
I'm wondering if alcohol dehydration combined with physical activity and sweating had some longer lasting effects?
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:07 pm It's not just possible. I know that I got really dehydrated on that ride. I still don't understand why I'm feeling it 3 days later though. That's what scares me. I can make future improvements, but 3+ days at a time of problems is basically unacceptable.
I'm wondering if alcohol dehydration combined with physical activity and sweating had some longer lasting effects?
Just got off the phone with a doc, best guess is mild nerve damage. Will heal and be fine without aggravation but could take as much as ~6 weeks to be 100%.

In the meantime apparently I am physically incapable of 4+ hr bike rides for now. Fuck you guys who can just do that shit without hurting yourselves...
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:49 pm
Detroit wrote: I'm wondering if alcohol dehydration combined with physical activity and sweating had some longer lasting effects?
Just got off the phone with a doc, best guess is mild nerve damage. Will heal and be fine without aggravation but could take as much as ~6 weeks to be 100%.

In the meantime apparently I am physically incapable of 4+ hr bike rides for now. Fuck you guys who can just do that shit without hurting yourselves...
I'm a bitch, I hardly ride for more than an hour. I just do more frequent short rides. Still loosing weight by the way clothes fit (not on the scale), so whatever.

I do things more for fun and health than full blast :stig: :doe:
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:49 pm Just got off the phone with a doc, best guess is mild nerve damage. Will heal and be fine without aggravation but could take as much as ~6 weeks to be 100%.

I'm a bitch, I hardly ride for more than an hour. I just do more frequent short rides. Still loosing weight by the way clothes fit (not on the scale), so whatever.

I think I'll be sticking to 2 hrs or less for the foreseeable future. It's waaaaaay more enjoyable than punishing myself for 4+ hrs, even though that means that I can't go anywhere interesting. Anywhere worthwhile here is bare minimum ~5 hrs round trip at non-[user not found] speeds.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:35 pm
Detroit wrote: I'm a bitch, I hardly ride for more than an hour. I just do more frequent short rides. Still loosing weight by the way clothes fit (not on the scale), so whatever.

I think I'll be sticking to 2 hrs or less for the foreseeable future. It's waaaaaay more enjoyable than punishing myself for 4+ hrs, even though that means that I can't go anywhere interesting. Anywhere worthwhile here is bare minimum ~5 hrs round trip at non-[user not found] speeds.
It could be just that it was a massive ride for you and your body wasn’t quite conditioned for it yet. And similar to pulling a muscle you over worked something.

You could try riding with gloves. That may or may not help. I’d do regular padding not gel.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:57 pm
coogles wrote:
Yeah if I have a couple beers I get hero legs and can ride way too fast for a bit. Gotta watch the increased confidence factor though. I’ve seen a few people destroy wheels from thinking they could hop a curb and ended up slamming into it :lolol: :drunk:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:29 pm So, home. Bikecation was a fantastic escape.

Will post deets later.
:excited:

Campsite had epic views it looks like.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:57 pm Well... I'm not going faster with alcohol. It just hurts less. I'm faster without it.
Yeah if I have a couple beers I get hero legs and can ride way too fast for a bit. Gotta watch the increased confidence factor though. I’ve seen a few people destroy wheels from thinking they could hop a curb and ended up slamming into it Imageol: :drunk:
HOLD MY BEER!

:mahtroy:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:25 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:14 pm

:excited:

Campsite had epic views it looks like.
Fucking amazing. Luck does exist.
Careful swinging dat :alpo: around.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Pretty impressive shit all the way around Z.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex

Man that looks EPIC!

In4tinycamper review.
Johnny_P

:neat: sounds like a great trip