Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Ugh, had my first near car accident. Of course a woman driving a fucking minivan.

Fuck everyone who drives those things. If you have a fucking 7+ passenger vehicle then you need a fucking CDL to drive the motherfucker.

I guess it's time to buy every flashing light and siren on the market.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:56 pm Putting in a harder effort on the climb out of the neighborhood today, I picked up another minute but still needed the 26/32 and was wiped out and had to stop for a breather at the top.

Do you all just chill at like a 40 rpm or less cadence going up steep stuff? I'm trying to maintain more like 80.
I think so... no way to really calculate it but it can get kind of low on tough climbs with my shitty limited gearing. Most uphills here usually are immediately followed by a down so I typically just coast after a tough climb to rest the legs a bit.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:33 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:56 pm Putting in a harder effort on the climb out of the neighborhood today, I picked up another minute but still needed the 26/32 and was wiped out and had to stop for a breather at the top.

Do you all just chill at like a 40 rpm or less cadence going up steep stuff? I'm trying to maintain more like 80.
I think so... no way to really calculate it but it can get kind of low on tough climbs with my shitty limited gearing. Most uphills here usually are immediately followed by a down so I typically just coast after a tough climb to rest the legs a bit.
Yeah that's gotta be it. I know y'all are stronger than me but I'm not thaaaaaaaaaaaat bad.

Everything I have read says basically "keep cadence 80-100 at all times, except for fast downhills when you're out of gears" - which is what I try to do but it seems impossible for going up hills without MTB gears. The one positive thing I did today was set a pretty quick time up the hill into the neighborhood, but that was absolutely busting ass trying to keep a decent cadence in my 2nd lowest gear, 26/28. To keep the same cadence at a 36/28 instead would mean that I would have been as fast as the absolute fastest guys all-time on that climb.

https://www.strava.com/activities/37707 ... 7444331930
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Yes my cadence drops on hills for sure. You'll probably be faster if you force yourself into a slightly harder gear and grind it a little more. Or drop like 3 gears and stand up and ATTACK that shit. Just remember to go a few gears harder if you do that because your power will basically double, so be sure to use all of it.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:19 am Ugh, had my first near car accident. Of course a woman driving a fucking minivan.

Fuck everyone who drives those things. If you have a fucking 7+ passenger vehicle then you need a fucking CDL to drive the motherfucker.

I guess it's time to buy every flashing light and siren on the market.
Pro tip: Its not just minivans. Always assume everyone is out to run you over and ride defensively. 3 people were killed on bikes in the last week in Philly. 2 of them in bike lanes.

Flashies are awesome and really do truly help. I run mine all the time when I'm on the road, daylight or dark. And, bright color jerseys are your friend.
troyguitar

I was already in bright pink shorts and a bright red shirt and a hi-viz yellow helmet on an :eeyore: overcast day, but the flashy lights would certainly increase visibility. I've been meaning to get some for riding near dawn/dusk but now I guess I need to run them 24/7. I've specifically avoided riding before 8AM while drivers are still asleep too.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:59 pm I was already in bright pink shorts and a bright red shirt and a hi-viz yellow helmet on an :eeyore: overcast day, but the flashy lights would certainly increase visibility. I've been meaning to get some for riding near dawn/dusk but now I guess I need to run them 24/7. I've specifically avoided riding before 8AM while drivers are still asleep too.
Yeah man its rough. I've been buzzed so many times, by every type of vehicle. Why I basically stick to dirt stuff anymore.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:59 pm I was already in bright pink shorts and a bright red shirt and a hi-viz yellow helmet on an :eeyore: overcast day, but the flashy lights would certainly increase visibility. I've been meaning to get some for riding near dawn/dusk but now I guess I need to run them 24/7. I've specifically avoided riding before 8AM while drivers are still asleep too.
Yeah man its rough. I've been buzzed so many times, by every type of vehicle. Why I basically stick to dirt stuff anymore.
Luckily I can get out of town pretty quickly. Depending on the direction it's no more than 5 miles to have very little traffic - today I was maybe half a mile from the point where traffic drops off a cliff. The downside is that the few roads that actually go anywhere are still narrow 2-lanes with usually minimal shoulders. So, very few cars but the few you do see will be very close to you and not expecting to see you.

I've also been within a few feet of hitting a deer at 25+ mph like 3 or 4 times already.

:thisisfine:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Luckily I can get out of town pretty quickly. Depending on the direction it's no more than 5 miles to have very little traffic - today I was maybe half a mile from the point where traffic drops off a cliff. The downside is that the few roads that actually go anywhere are still narrow 2-lanes with usually minimal shoulders. So, very few cars but the few you do see will be very close to you and not expecting to see you.

I've also been within a few feet of hitting a deer at 25+ mph like 3 or 4 times already.

Troy I do believe you are turning a few lemons into lemonade.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:57 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:54 pm Luckily I can get out of town pretty quickly. Depending on the direction it's no more than 5 miles to have very little traffic - today I was maybe half a mile from the point where traffic drops off a cliff. The downside is that the few roads that actually go anywhere are still narrow 2-lanes with usually minimal shoulders. So, very few cars but the few you do see will be very close to you and not expecting to see you.

Troy I do believe you are turning a few lemons into lemonade.
TBH if the bike does no more than allow me to drink without getting fat then it will have been a worthwhile pursuit. God damn is it a lot of work :doe:
Johnny_P

In 4 boozy water bottles
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Deer are such retarded animals. I’ve almost hit a few on the MTB.

Unleashed dogs too. The little yippy ones. Ugh.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:46 pm
Some loser in an Elantra honked at me the other day for absolutely no reason. I was on a long residential street through a suburban neighborhood, slowing as we approached a red light at an intersection with the main road. I was all the way to the ride just cruising along, guy honks and gives me the 🖕. It took all I had to not just yell “fuck you fat ass”. Usually these encounters are :truk: around me.
troyguitar

So doing some :math: it's no wonder the hills are so damn hard: To maintain even a 60 RPM cadence on a 15% grade with my current gearing I'd have to put out 235 watts or 141% of my wimpy 166W FTP. A "proper" cadence of 80 RPM would be 315 watts or 190% of FTP... of course it's fucking hard.

Dropping to the 36 tooth rear will help some but still not that much really. With "ultra granny" 26/36 it would take 208 watts or 125% of FTP for 60 RPM and 279 watts or 168% of FTP for 80 RPM on the same grade.

To get down to "merely" 100% of FTP at 60 RPM, I'd have to bump the cassette all the way up not to 36 but 46 teeth. A 26/46 combo for a whopping 2.81 miles per hour at 60 RPM == climbing 15% grades at 166 watts.

Dunno if that means it would be worth getting the 9 speed 11-36 shit or not. It'll still be hard as fuck. If I assume a realistic lifetime goal of 300 watt FTP, then I would still need/want to have that 26/36 gear available for long rides or casual/rest days. I guess that means it would be worth it for my lifetime?

:whocares: :stfu: :gtfo:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:03 pm So doing some :math: it's no wonder the hills are so damn hard: To maintain even a 60 RPM cadence on a 15% grade with my current gearing I'd have to put out 235 watts or 141% of my wimpy 166W FTP. A "proper" cadence of 80 RPM would be 315 watts or 190% of FTP... of course it's fucking hard.

Dropping to the 36 tooth rear will help some but still not that much really. With "ultra granny" 26/36 it would take 208 watts or 125% of FTP for 60 RPM and 279 watts or 168% of FTP for 80 RPM on the same grade.

To get down to "merely" 100% of FTP at 60 RPM, I'd have to bump the cassette all the way up not to 36 but 46 teeth. A 26/46 combo for a whopping 2.81 miles per hour at 60 RPM == climbing 15% grades at 166 watts.

Dunno if that means it would be worth getting the 9 speed 11-36 shit or not. It'll still be hard as fuck. If I assume a realistic lifetime goal of 300 watt FTP, then I would still need/want to have that 26/36 gear available for long rides or casual/rest days. I guess that means it would be worth it for my lifetime?

You will get stronger eventually. Don’t get 9 speed. Minimal improvement. If you want to go retarded get 2x11.
troyguitar

I'm just sick of having to do the same 2 loops over and over if I don't want to kill myself on the god damn hills. It looks like I need to not just get a little stronger but roughly double my strength before I'll be able to go anywhere without it being a huge PITA in even the lowest gears.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:46 pm

Some loser in an Elantra honked at me the other day for absolutely no reason. I was on a long residential street through a suburban neighborhood, slowing as we approached a red light at an intersection with the main road. I was all the way to the ride just cruising along, guy honks and gives me the 🖕. It took all I had to not just yell “fuck you fat ass”. Usually these encounters are :truk: around me.
Yeah been harassed by trucks when out in the boonies. Not fun.

Also have had stuff thrown at me.

That’s all pretty rare in this area though because cyclists are everywhere so it’s kind of just a part of driving here. Where you are more of a one-off nuisance out there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:03 pm So doing some :math: it's no wonder the hills are so damn hard: To maintain even a 60 RPM cadence on a 15% grade with my current gearing I'd have to put out 235 watts or 141% of my wimpy 166W FTP. A "proper" cadence of 80 RPM would be 315 watts or 190% of FTP... of course it's fucking hard.

Less math, more riding.... :iono:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:

If I just slow down to "you're going to blow your knees out" cadence then I can go up anything. :thisisfine:

Bike is hidden in here somewhere. I finally re-indexed the front derailleur last night now that I have the "right" chain on it. It works fine now despite the mismatched :wrong: 8/9 speed setup. Currently waiting on a fish and chips at Watkins Glen on the lake...

troyguitar

Also, the :math: says that dropping 5 lbs off the bike via a bunch of :waxer: carbon shit would be worth a whopping 0.2 mph on the steep climbs... So buying light shit would be largely pointless. The only real improvement would be that the bike would be easier to haul in amd out of the apartment. :whocares:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:06 pm
D Griff wrote:
If I just slow down to "you're going to blow your knees out" cadence then I can go up anything. :thisisfine:

Bike is hidden in here somewhere. I finally re-indexed the front derailleur last night now that I have the "right" chain on it. It works fine now despite the mismatched :wrong: 8/9 speed setup. Currently waiting on a fish and chips at Watkins Glen on the lake...

:jelly:
That looks like perfection to me.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:08 pm Also, the :math: says that dropping 5 lbs off the bike via a bunch of :waxer: carbon shit would be worth a whopping 0.2 mph on the steep climbs... So buying light shit would be largely pointless. The only real improvement would be that the bike would be easier to haul in amd out of the apartment. :whocares:
Right, largely unimportant. You would notice lighter wheels though. They respond faster, and can make climbing easier.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote:

:fuckyeah: that looks like a nice ass destination.

How long distance-wise are your climbs?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote:

:fuckyeah: that looks awesome.

:iono: about the whole blowing your knees out thing. I feel like if it is extremely uncomfortable and hurts, yeah, it's likely bad, but just slowing down the cadence on a big climb... I mean, that is just normal IMO. I think people have been riding bikes like that for 150 years.

I have been actively running for 15+ years, weight lifting semi-seriously for 10+ years (well that ended in March, but whatever), and dabbled in cycling my whole life, and in my experience, it is best to just do what "feels right". For example, a dead lift is a tricky maneuver and it will be a little bit different for every person's dimensions. I have tried many times to emulate youtube videos and books and things with that movement and had it really hurt, versus just understanding it fundamentally and doing it the way that feels OK for me. I have never injured myself with the latter.

:whocares: about cadences if you are getting it done and not getting hurt.
troyguitar

I got dehydrated and went super slow today but now that I got into the shade and chugged some water I feel pretty OK. 57 miles at... 12 mph. :turtle:

Tapatalk doesn't want to upload my airboat-engineered sunscreen mount, but it worked well.

Now it's working. Image