Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I wanna ride to OCNJ for crab cakes. Who’s with me?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:00 am Since I also have a 36/28 gear on my bike, I tried that for a second going up the hill and was instantly like :nope: - and that wasn't even a steeper section, maybe 5% at most? Pulling that gear at 20% is serious :massles:
Yeah that’s for sure the pain train. That’s probably unrideable for me. I think some of our climbs max at 20% grade but for a very short time. I could ride it on my last bike at 34x26.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:56 am Dropped another minute off the initial little climb here today, this gearing is fantastic - it is allowing real progress to be made. I can't wait to try good tires.

Nice job. Yeah some slicks would help the time. If you’re not really gonna ride dirt and singletrack then def go to a faster rolling tire. The Nanos are a 50/50 tire, you’d benefit from something that’s more 90 road / 10 dirt.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:12 pm Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice ride!!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:09 pm I wanna ride to OCNJ for crab cakes. Who’s with me?
That sounds awesome, I would if I could.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:56 am Dropped another minute off the initial little climb here today, this gearing is fantastic - it is allowing real progress to be made. I can't wait to try good tires.

Nice job. Yeah some slicks would help the time. If you’re not really gonna ride dirt and singletrack then def go to a faster rolling tire. The Nanos are a 50/50 tire, you’d benefit from something that’s more 90 road / 10 dirt.
Yeah that's the plan. Most of the woods around here is private property where :thankstrump: will shoot you for riding your pansy ass on their territory. The roads, once you get outside of town, are generally pretty nice and desolate.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:09 pm I wanna ride to OCNJ for crab cakes. Who’s with me?
Hmmm.

I'd like to do a good adventure ride.

But I think the shore is a bad time right now.

We should pick some random BBQ spot in BFE to ride to and make a day of it on the gRaVeL bikes.
Gravel it up to Pic-A-Lili.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:30 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Gravel it up to Pic-A-Lili.
Hm. The Pic is where the gravel starts though.
Fuel up on wangs and beer? :iono: :lol:
Johnny_P

Hmmm.

We should pick some random BBQ spot in BFE to ride to and make a day of it on the gRaVeL bikes.
Sweet Lucy’s. Take the stuff down to the Delaware River and eat it there.
troyguitar

Hmmm.

The one good spot that was here closed in December, plus it's too far from anyone anyway. :foreveralone:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:35 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:05 pm

The one good spot that was here closed in December, plus it's too far from anyone anyway. :foreveralone:
Get up to a point where you can do at least 50 miles of gRaVeL and I'll come ride the mean hills of Corning with you.
That'll be this year. We'll have to give you a parachute like a dragster to keep your pace down.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:31 pm

That'll be this year. We'll have to give you a parachute like a dragster to keep your pace down.
I’ll bring a tow line to attach to your handlebars.
:notbad:
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

Had a giant blow out last Monday as seen on IG, picked up what appeared to be a copper tube of some sort. Trek warrantied the tire and tube again when I brought the wheel in to ask about the strip of tape or whatever it is that covered the spoke hardware. Mentioned what happened and before I could ask about if they could snag a tube and tire for me to go to the registers they took the wheel from me and replaced everything for me while I waited and handed me the wheel back about 5 min later. They replaced it with a Bontrager R3 tire, which I guess is two notches above what it came with but unfortunately it has a giant white reflective strip around the circumference....but it was free so oh well. :lol:

Schedule didn't line up the rest of the week so I didn't get a chance to ride until the 4th. Did my normal loop and decided to hit the Eastcoast Greenway trails as a detour and followed that down to the DE River and shot back up the hillside, cut through the trails again and then it was getting dark pretty quick so I rode back home.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

3rdgenfan wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:45 pm Had a giant blow out last Monday as seen on IG, picked up what appeared to be a copper tube of some sort. Trek warrantied the tire and tube again when I brought the wheel in to ask about the strip of tape or whatever it is that covered the spoke hardware. Mentioned what happened and before I could ask about if they could snag a tube and tire for me to go to the registers they took the wheel from me and replaced everything for me while I waited and handed me the wheel back about 5 min later. They replaced it with a Bontrager R3 tire, which I guess is two notches above what it came with but unfortunately it has a giant white reflective strip around the circumference....but it was free so oh well. :lol:

Schedule didn't line up the rest of the week so I didn't get a chance to ride until the 4th. Did my normal loop and decided to hit the Eastcoast Greenway trails as a detour and followed that down to the DE River and shot back up the hillside, cut through the trails again and then it was getting dark pretty quick so I rode back home.

:fuckyeah: nice ride man!

You have had some serious bad luck with flat tires :doe:
troyguitar

Ballz. I had to bail on going up the hill I was planning to check out this morning not because I couldn't make it up, but because I was being eaten alive by swarms of gnats. I can't go fast enough up a 15% grade to keep the bugs off me - at one point I was probably spending more energy flailing my arms at the bugs than I was trying to fucking pedal. :disgust: :nope:

Gave up, coasted down and went home. :ohwell:

Apparently SPF 50 isn't what you need to ride here, it's DEET. Y'all ever use bug spray for riding in the woods?
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:51 am
3rdgenfan wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:45 pm Had a giant blow out last Monday as seen on IG, picked up what appeared to be a copper tube of some sort. Trek warrantied the tire and tube again when I brought the wheel in to ask about the strip of tape or whatever it is that covered the spoke hardware. Mentioned what happened and before I could ask about if they could snag a tube and tire for me to go to the registers they took the wheel from me and replaced everything for me while I waited and handed me the wheel back about 5 min later. They replaced it with a Bontrager R3 tire, which I guess is two notches above what it came with but unfortunately it has a giant white reflective strip around the circumference....but it was free so oh well. :lol:

:lol: Yeah I don't get it; the mountain bike hasn't had a tube or tire replaced since I've owned it....I figured flats would happen with putting some miles on the ride but so far three seems excessive
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

3rdgenfan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:51 am

:lol: Yeah I don't get it; the mountain bike hasn't had a tube or tire replaced since I've owned it....I figured flats would happen with putting some miles on the ride but so far three seems excessive
Since I got my Continentals, I haven't gotten any flats. It seems to really depend on the tire choice.

Man, I took a spill yesterday off the side of the trail. I fell into some thorny shrubs, but other than getting slightly scratched up, it really didn't hurt much. Went out this morning to lift/run and somehow tweaked my back. I think it must've started with the fall, quite uncomfortable. Hopefully it's better in a day or two.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:08 pm

Since I got my Continentals, I haven't gotten any flats. It seems to really depend on the tire choice.

Man, I took a spill yesterday off the side of the trail. I fell into some thorny shrubs, but other than getting slightly scratched up, it really didn't hurt much. Went out this morning to lift/run and somehow tweaked my back. I think it must've started with the fall, quite uncomfortable. Hopefully it's better in a day or two.
:wap:
:dat: :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

@3rdgenfan Continental makes good road tires. They're the benchmark really. I got a lot of flats when I rode Vittoria tires, switched to Conti GP4000 and the amount of problems were drastically decreased. I think the current model is now GP5000.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:08 pm

:wap:
:dat:

It is pretty jacked up, sleep last night was rough. So odd as the fall wasn't bad at all. Maybe I just somehow jacked it doing push ups but never had an issue with that. I guess just a combination of things. Perhaps in the future I'll take a couple days off from exercising after a fall.
troyguitar

:gonbgud:

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:16 pm :gonbgud:

you're gonna see a huge difference there
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:16 pm :gonbgud:

That’s gonna be sweet man.

Pro tip: Remove the valve core, use an air nozzle to inflate the tire and seat the bead, then put the valve core in and air it up with a pump.
I don't have a real air compressor anymore, dat apartment lyfe. They mounted up just fine at 15-20 psi with my little cordless inflator :doe:

The whole process went way better than I was expecting after reading so many horror stories. The only leakage I was having was at the valve stems and the sealant seems to have stopped that. We'll see how it goes over time.

I only had time to take a quick spin out and back, but signs point to it being waaaaaay better in every way. It's so much easier to keep moving. I did the same 16-17 mph on the little out and back segments that I was doing before, but I was at 150 bpm instead killing myself at 175. Can't wait to see the difference on a bigger ride.

Everything feels lighter, smoother, quicker, easier - except for crawling up steep hills, that's still just hard. It's like I went from a :truk: to a :poorvette: overnight. :stig:

troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:Oh, another tip: Always align your sidewall labels with your valve stem.

#1 it helps you find your valve stem
#2 it looks better

Glad the process was easy though, and you’ve noticed improvements already!
I thought about that after I finished and knew that you were going to say something about it. :ohwell:

Sealant is in there and seems to be holding so I'm not messing with it. At least I mounted them up with the rotation right. :thisisfine:

Next steps eventually will be to remove all the stickers from the bike and probably get some lights. Then it'll be "done" AFAIK until I kill a wheel bearing.