Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:42 am The Madone is LAID out. Phew. I hopped on one while cross-shopping the TCR and that had to be the least comfortable bike I've ever been on. It's so long up top I probably would have needed a 52, but then the drop to the bars would have been enormous.
Yeah a lot of the bikes seem to be going that way. And especially with integrated bar / stem combos that are set length. All way too stretched out for me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Integrated stems look so good but kind of seem like a pain the ass given lack of any adjustability. I hope something you manage to try works out!

I’m starting to get excited about my planned Ribble updates and subsequent gravel build. Anyone have much research into the current carbon wheels on the market? I’m pretty interested in Zipp 303S but the max 73 psi number is a bit odd to swallow. Are more expensive options worth it? I’ve never ridden on carbon wheels so :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Got some great MTB miles in last week/this weekend, sadly yesterday and today were super rainy and I’m hitting the road for a few days now so I’ll be relegated to running.

I did manage to clean my mountain bike and commuter yesterday during rain breaks.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:59 pm Integrated stems look so good but kind of seem like a pain the ass given lack of any adjustability. I hope something you manage to try works out!

I’m starting to get excited about my planned Ribble updates and subsequent gravel build. Anyone have much research into the current carbon wheels on the market? I’m pretty interested in Zipp 303S but the max 73 psi number is a bit odd to swallow. Are more expensive options worth it? I’ve never ridden on carbon wheels so :iono:
I'm hoping to be in the market for some carbon :ramz: here soon too.

It seems like the Chinese wheelsets have a better reputation now than they used to, but I have no idea which ones are good. I'm not keen on going hookless...other than that I have no idea what to look at.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:59 pm Integrated stems look so good but kind of seem like a pain the ass given lack of any adjustability. I hope something you manage to try works out!

Zipp makes good quality things. I’m not huge on hookless either especially with tubeless. But my mtb wheels are hookless and seem fine so maybe it’s not an issue.

Lots of good wheels out there now. Especially if your bike is disc brake then you don’t have to worry about heat buildup. I’d trust chinesium wheels. Hunt and Boyd used to be decent quality cheap wheels but I don’t know if that’s still the case.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The specs on these things. :drool:

https://blackinc.cc/products/4858

:wasteful:

Just need that 250W FTP test now. We'll see how close I am on Saturday. :popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:09 pm The specs on these things. :drool:

https://blackinc.cc/products/4858

:wasteful:

Just need that 250W FTP test now. We'll see how close I am on Saturday. :popcorn:
:nice: I ended up getting some Hunts. 200g heavier to save $2100 :scrooge: I tore down the bike yesterday but realized I didn’t have the right BB tool and had to spend the afternoon working on staining my fence :disgust: but should be able to build the bike with new groupset, wheels, and handlebars this weekend.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:12 pm :nice: I ended up getting some Hunts. 200g heavier to save $2100 :scrooge: I tore down the bike yesterday but realized I didn’t have the right BB tool and had to spend the afternoon working on staining my fence :disgust: but should be able to build the bike with new groupset, wheels, and handlebars this weekend.
What did you get? Hunt 50s?

Also, :popcorn: on the buildup.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:12 pm :nice: I ended up getting some Hunts. 200g heavier to save $2100 :scrooge: I tore down the bike yesterday but realized I didn’t have the right BB tool and had to spend the afternoon working on staining my fence :disgust: but should be able to build the bike with new groupset, wheels, and handlebars this weekend.
What did you get? Hunt 50s?

Also, :popcorn: on the buildup.
Yep HUNT 50 Carbon Aero Disc :excited:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:55 pm Yep HUNT 50 Carbon Aero Disc :excited:
:nice:

Those would be a huge improvement over what's on my bike currently, but if I'm gonna do it...

Buy once, cry once.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Moving from Johnny’s thread to here. Quick CL search with his Trek FX reco found this:

https://corvallis.craigslist.org/bik/d/ ... 98856.html

Based on his size, it seems like this would work for me. Corvallis is a bit too far for a casual drive down to test it out for myself, but I have a buddy down that way who I could ask to take a look at it and grab for me if it seems solid.

Any thoughts on this from the bike bros? Rear rack would come off since it’s ugly, and I’d just wear a backpack with my gym gear in it. Maybe a rear fender delete too, unless you guys think leaving that on makes sense to not spray mud all over things.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:03 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:55 pm Yep HUNT 50 Carbon Aero Disc :excited:

Those would be a huge improvement over what's on my bike currently, but if I'm gonna do it...

Buy once, cry once.
I was def trying to get into the mindset of ‘buy what you really want’ but just can’t get there. :iono: I feel like the main benefit to me is my bike looking cooler :lolol: I wasn’t really more/less excited by something fancier. I was planning on the Zipps but just couldn’t fully commit to hookless. I’m stoked though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:17 am Moving from Johnny’s thread to here. Quick CL search with his Trek FX reco found this:

Based on his size, it seems like this would work for me. Corvallis is a bit too far for a casual drive down to test it out for myself, but I have a buddy down that way who I could ask to take a look at it and grab for me if it seems solid.

Any thoughts on this from the bike bros? Rear rack would come off since it’s ugly, and I’d just wear a backpack with my gym gear in it. Maybe a rear fender delete too, unless you guys think leaving that on makes sense to not spray mud all over things.
I don’t really know what something like this ‘should’ cost but it looks quite well maintained and will be robust AF. It’s missing some modern conveniences like disc brakes, 1/2x shifting but for commuting around, it’s not critical at all. If you ride in the wet, disc brakes do perform better.

I dig the rack and would keep fenders.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:46 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:17 am Moving from Johnny’s thread to here. Quick CL search with his Trek FX reco found this:

I don’t really know what something like this ‘should’ cost but it looks quite well maintained and will be robust AF. It’s missing some modern conveniences like disc brakes, 1/2x shifting but for commuting around, it’s not critical at all. If you ride in the wet, disc brakes do perform better.

Thanks dude! $350-400 seems to be the going rate for these bikes out here.

Are disc brakes and 1/2x shifting things I could upgrade myself, or would they be more hassle/cost than they’re worth to swap on? Better to keep looking until I find something in this range that has them? I’m in no rush to buy anything at all, especially since we’ve got another 2-3 months of rain before thing a dry off a bit up here.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:06 pm

Are disc brakes and 1/2x shifting things I could upgrade myself, or would they be more hassle/cost than they’re worth to swap on? Better to keep looking until I find something in this range that has them? I’m in no rush to buy anything at all, especially since we’ve got another 2-3 months of rain before thing a dry off a bit up here.
You can change shifting but you can't really add disc brakes, the bike will have caliper mounting points or it won't. Also, disc brakes would be mean different wheels, brake levers, etc. . I'd say it's kind of like manual swapping a car, should you COULD but probably not worth the huge hassle if you could just get it that way up front.

By the way, the shifting thing just has to do with the front chain rings. Most modern bikes have 1 or 2 rings/gears in the front, this one has three. Nothing really wrong with 3 at all, it's just a bit more complexity/weight that really isn't needed.

:iono: I'd say they're more nice to have versus a need. If you're just planning to commute around, ride greenways, things like that I would totally not worry about it. If you think you'll do any big hills or ride in the wet much, I'd probably look to find something with disc brakes.
Johnny_P

So that’s pretty decent. Should ride a lot nicer than a mountain bike on the road while still being able to take an occasional improved / packed gravel surface. I dig the rack and fenders personally but they do add weight. Racks are great places to stash U locks.

The parts on this aren’t exactly “good” but shimano 9 speed is pretty bomb proof. There are tons of used 9 speed parts out there if you want to upgrade stuff for cheap. Changing to a 2x front crank would require a whole new crankset and bottom bracket (frame bearing) cartridge so not really DIY unless you buy the tools.

I wouldn’t get anything less than 9 speeds in the rear. 7,8 are pretty outdated now. New bikes are coming with 11 or 12.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on disc brakes. Rim brakes work great and are easier to maintain.

Only thing I’d caution. It’s hard to gauge if you’re going to be comfortable on it / if it’s the right size. Try looking this model up on Treks website. They may have a library of old bikes. To see if the frame is the recommended size for you. MTB sizes don’t exactly equal hybrid frame sizes.

Other bikes to watch for are Cannondale Quick, Specialized Sirrus, or really any Fuji.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:16 am

You can change shifting but you can't really add disc brakes, the bike will have caliper mounting points or it won't. Also, disc brakes would be mean different wheels, brake levers, etc. . I'd say it's kind of like manual swapping a car, should you COULD but probably not worth the huge hassle if you could just get it that way up front.

By the way, the shifting thing just has to do with the front chain rings. Most modern bikes have 1 or 2 rings/gears in the front, this one has three. Nothing really wrong with 3 at all, it's just a bit more complexity/weight that really isn't needed.

:iono: I'd say they're more nice to have versus a need. If you're just planning to commute around, ride greenways, things like that I would totally not worry about it. If you think you'll do any big hills or ride in the wet much, I'd probably look to find something with disc brakes.
If things get really wet then yeah disc is very nice. They’re also a bit better on modulation if you’re really bombing a descent and need exact braking. For most riders rim brakes are perfectly fine though.
Johnny_P

New house is around the corner from a high end shop with nothing but LOOK, Pinarello, Time, and Cinelli bikes. Lots of wallet draining eye candy and tons of great gear. Can’t wait to buy some shit from them.

They’ve got one of these in the window right now. Pina has them on fire sale. It’s tempting, this thing is gorgeous as f.

https://epic-cycles.com/products/f5-105 ... hoQAvD_BwE
SAWCE

Thanks guys. Appreciate all your input. Love hearing you guys geek out a bit about stuff you’re passionate about :wub:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Out of curiosity, why do you say :ramz: brakes are easier to work on maintain? I have had to do zero on my Ribble with the brakes in like 9K miles. If things do get out of whack, losen the caliper bolts, squeeze the brake lever, tighten the bolts. Bleeding hydraulic lines is annoying I guess but is like a once per half decade thing?

I find certain types of cable brakes really annoying to get just right. I have some dual pivot Tektro long reach calipers on my Raleigh since I converted it to 700C wheels and they've been quite easy/nice to work on.

I do agree it's NBD unless you're riding in the wet or on big hills/trails.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:55 am New house is around the corner from a high end shop with nothing but LOOK, Pinarello, Time, and Cinelli bikes. Lots of wallet draining eye candy and tons of great gear. Can’t wait to buy some shit from them.

They’ve got one of these in the window right now. Pina has them on fire sale. It’s tempting, this thing is gorgeous as f.

:doit:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:58 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:55 am New house is around the corner from a high end shop with nothing but LOOK, Pinarello, Time, and Cinelli bikes. Lots of wallet draining eye candy and tons of great gear. Can’t wait to buy some shit from them.

:doit:
I gotta stare at geometry charts a bit more. My paycheck this week was quadruple normal since it had my bonus in it so I’m fat with cash at the moment. Which is timely since the second little gets removed in a week.

I may also look at cervelos again. I loved mine just didn’t like how rough it was. Mostly due to complete inability to mount fatter tires. New ones have corrected that though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Rode with [user not found] today, was quite nice, very pretty area for riding. @JP we should all get out together next time I’m up.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:55 pm Image

Looks like you and he-who-shall-not-be-named had a good time. His new SuperSix is :megusta:.