Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:29 pm BMC roadmachine vs Cannondale Supersix?

Or another bike?

The geo on the Supersix is pretty spot on for me. The Tarmac, Edmonda, and TCR are all way too stretched out and aggressive. I need something that sits me at a more upright angle since I’m 39 now. Too bad because I love the Tarmac overall.

The Wilier GTR Team that I had in Italy was good geo wise. It’s just got a bad warranty reputation and the value is too low. Also kind of boring to ride.
Honestly, unless you want to race I'd go for the new Defy.

That said, I don't feel like my TCR is super laid out. I have the full stack of spacers in there and it's far from extreme, and the ride quality is excellent.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:29 pm BMC roadmachine vs Cannondale Supersix?

Or another bike?

The geo on the Supersix is pretty spot on for me. The Tarmac, Edmonda, and TCR are all way too stretched out and aggressive. I need something that sits me at a more upright angle since I’m 39 now. Too bad because I love the Tarmac overall.

The Wilier GTR Team that I had in Italy was good geo wise. It’s just got a bad warranty reputation and the value is too low. Also kind of boring to ride.
Honestly, unless you want to race I'd go for the new Defy.

That said, I don't feel like my TCR is super laid out. I have the full stack of spacers in there and it's far from extreme, and the ride quality is excellent.
Last I was looking the Defy had some weird gear specs on most builds. But maybe not anymore. I’ll look again 👍
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Or another bike?

Man I really don’t follow all the bikes, just too many to bother and I’m not buying one. I like Cannondales though, in4 shopping.

I’m actually getting a new groupset and handlebars for the Ribble for reasons. Thinking I may trickle down some of the current stuff to a gravel frame like a State steel with carbon fork.
Johnny_P

Looked into the Defy. Cool colors. But they’ve turned it into an “all road +” style bike with 32c tires and clearance for about 40c. And hookless wheels so maximum tire pressure is low meaning I can’t put fast rolling 28s on it.

I don’t want a gravel bike I want a road bike.

Cannondale synapse went full old man spec with integrated lights.
Specialized Roubaix is a gravel bike now.
TCR and tarmac I think are too stretched out for me. Maybe they can work. I need to mess with geometry calculators some more.

Supersix is still the front runner I think. Maybe a CAAD13 but I want something that’s more comfortable than an aluminum jackhammer.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:notsure:

Giant made the geo on the new Defy more road-focused, just capable of clearing bigger tires.

I won't argue with you on hookless, though. You definitely can run fast 28s on it, but you're limited to tires that are hookless compatible if you get a Defy that comes with a carbon wheelset and you don't want to swap them out.

https://enve.com/pages/tire-compatibility

I'm :notsure: hookless is a reliable tech for road use, too many stories of tires debeading, but maybe that's overblown. :iono:

IMO, you just need to go hop on a bunch of bikes. I wouldn't have figured I'd find the TCR comfortable, but I jumped on at least half a dozen different models in both 54cm and 56dm and when I sat on the Medium TCR, everything just fell into place.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:17 am :notsure:

Giant made the geo on the new Defy more road-focused, just capable of clearing bigger tires.

I won't argue with you on hookless, though. You definitely can run fast 28s on it, but you're limited to tires that are hookless compatible if you get a Defy that comes with a carbon wheelset and you don't want to swap them out.

I'm :notsure: hookless is a reliable tech for road use, too many stories of tires debeading, but maybe that's overblown. :iono:

IMO, you just need to go hop on a bunch of bikes. I wouldn't have figured I'd find the TCR comfortable, but I jumped on at least half a dozen different models in both 54cm and 56dm and when I sat on the Medium TCR, everything just fell into place.
I agree on hookless. It doesn’t seem necessary for a road bike.

I do need to test out some stuff. Got the ok to get a bike this year from the wife since I got a high rating at work, my bonus should be a little beefier than normal this year.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:35 am
coogles wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:17 am :notsure:

I do need to test out some stuff. Got the ok to get a bike this year from the wife since I got a high rating at work, my bonus should be a little beefier than normal this year.
:nice:

I imagine now that we’re past all the COVID :bs: , getting a test ride is relatively easy.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:35 am

:nice:

I imagine now that we’re past all the COVID :bs: , getting a test ride is relatively easy.
Yeah it seems like it’s back to normal for the bike industry. Stuff isn’t flying off shelves anymore and stock is up. Prices have skyrocketed in the last 2 years. Maybe there will be some things on sale.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:science:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Anyone riding lately?

Anyone here ever research e-bikes? Looking at trying to get one for :tits:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:40 pm Anyone riding lately?

Get yourself a specialized como! Find one used and half the price. Thanks me later
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:09 pm

Get yourself a specialized como! Find one used and half the price. Thanks me later
I did end up reading up on the classes and such at dinner per your suggestion. I don't care that much about the price but she is :triggered: by anything too expensive. I have no qualms dropping $3K+ on a bike :lolol:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:39 am
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:09 pm

I did end up reading up on the classes and such at dinner per your suggestion. I don't care that much about the price but she is :triggered: by anything too expensive. I have no qualms dropping $3K+ on a bike :lolol:
I used to think I cared about price, and then here I am….
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Been doing the Peloton thing. :whocares:

I'm in the midst of an 8 week program, now through 2/3 of week 4. My watt targets are definitely starting to feel easier. My "tempo" target is now barely getting me out of my Zone 2 HR, which is a good sign. I've been fighting off a sinus bug for a good 2+ weeks now, but since it's clearing up my HRV is improving and my HR is settling down to where I thought it should have been (or better?) when I did my last FTP test.

Shooting for that 250W FTP again, hopefully by spring. I'm wanting to get out on some of the faster evening group rides instead of hanging with the old folks all the time. The casual rides are nice, but I want to see what's up with the A and B groups.

Gonna throw some carbon :ramz: on the bike too once I get to that 250W FTP number as a reward. Should make the TCR a lot more fun.
Johnny_P

E bikes are pretty awesome. So easy to ride 20 mph.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:20 pm

E bikes are pretty awesome. So easy to ride 20 mph.
I've never ridden one... I need to get her out for some test rides. I would honestly steal the thing for commuting sans sweat but I'm a solid 7-8" taller so probably not going to work. I love commuting places by bike but in the summer it's pretty :moist:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Went over to J-Bo's house yesterday and went on a little e-bike test ride with :tits: , she is definitely warming up to the idea of bicycle commuting :excited:

It's going to require a lot of handholding on my part to get her going, basically riding the routes with her a few times at least, figuring out the best way to transport the laptop safely, etc. It's funny, when we started dating she was a pretty adventurous person and over the past eight years has really evolved into being scared of everything.

It was funny how much faster Jeremy and I were on non powered bikes than her, she still averaged like 10 MPH on the e-bike due to comfort level, but the two commutes she'd need to do for work (her office downtown and one school) are only 5-6 miles each, so that should be quick enough to make it probably faster than driving.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:41 am Went over to J-Bo's house yesterday and went on a little e-bike test ride with :tits: , she is definitely warming up to the idea of bicycle commuting :excited:

It's going to require a lot of handholding on my part to get her going, basically riding the routes with her a few times at least, figuring out the best way to transport the laptop safely, etc. It's funny, when we started dating she was a pretty adventurous person and over the past eight years has really evolved into being scared of everything.

It was funny how much faster Jeremy and I were on non powered bikes than her, she still averaged like 10 MPH on the e-bike due to comfort level, but the two commutes she'd need to do for work (her office downtown and one school) are only 5-6 miles each, so that should be quick enough to make it probably faster than driving.
Kat was lamenting yesterday how jealous she was of Allison’s new commute. She was like I would ride with her uptown….but alas. She has to drive to Mooresville!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:54 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:41 am Went over to J-Bo's house yesterday and went on a little e-bike test ride with :tits: , she is definitely warming up to the idea of bicycle commuting :excited:

Kat was lamenting yesterday how jealous she was of Allison’s new commute. She was like I would ride with her uptown….but alas. She has to drive to Mooresville!
It's a piece of cake! I think once we do it a couple of times together, she'll be cool with it. I do see her running late every day or making other excuses to drive, but I'll try to stay persistent in getting her onboard.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Billingsville Elementary may be a little tougher, but just need to map out a nice route.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:01 am Billingsville Elementary may be a little tougher, but just need to map out a nice route.
I have a route for that. I’ve taken it to showings over that way. It’s almost all Myers Park and Eastover neighborhood streets. Kinda pleasant and will make you feel rich!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:05 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:01 am Billingsville Elementary may be a little tougher, but just need to map out a nice route.
I have a route for that. I’ve taken it to showings over that way. It’s almost all Myers Park and Eastover neighborhood streets. Kinda pleasant and will make you feel rich!
Yeah we were looking at it and that's what I said to her, can probably knock it all out in neighborhoods if planning ahead, should be a pretty ride!
Johnny_P

Only going to work if she actually wants to do it
I gave up on bike commuting a while ago. Simply not safe in Philly.
Johnny_P

Went to the local Trek store to put little dude on a 16” bike since his 12” balance bike is reaching its limit. Looks enormous for him so we might hold off for a bit. 14” bikes seem to be tough to find, with the more major brands only doing 12 or 16.

I talked to the sales dude about a test ride. They said I’d be able to take nearly anything in stock for a couple days to test out on routes that I’m familiar with. They don’t have any 58cm emondas in stock so I’ll have to check back later. But he said they don’t sell many emondas. Mostly Domane (all road bike with rear squish) or Madone (aero race bike) are what sells here. Domane seems overkill, I just want a road bike. And Madone seems too expensive or intense? I dunno. Maybe I’ll test both the Emonda and Madone.

Few more months though. Still cold af here.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The Madone is LAID out. Phew. I hopped on one while cross-shopping the TCR and that had to be the least comfortable bike I've ever been on. It's so long up top I probably would have needed a 52, but then the drop to the bars would have been enormous.