Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Dat looks like fun!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat:
Last edited by wap on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:12 pm
wap wrote:
Moar :abubey: pics.

Rocking that new Specialized Æthos. :waxer:
:fuckyeah:

:hai: :abubey:

Zil, tell them to come back to DFD!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:05 pm Welp, bikes sold out across town and shops claim they can't even order for customers because supply is so messed up. Did find one shop that has an XL fat bike in their rental fleet :doe: so going to schedule some time to ride it next week.

:excited:
I jumped on the first used bike I saw that was something I could live with until 2022.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/opinion ... BjYsrdOmNw
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:05 pm Welp, bikes sold out across town and shops claim they can't even order for customers because supply is so messed up. Did find one shop that has an XL fat bike in their rental fleet :doe: so going to schedule some time to ride it next week.

I jumped on the first used bike I saw that was something I could live with until 2022.

Yep, I had two separate bike shops summarize this for me. I basically can't buy a new bike in 2021. Which forces me to used. That trek Farley EX8 will probably happen if the guy still has it later in the week. I'll drive down there on Friday and snag it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:27 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:48 pm

Yep, I had two separate bike shops summarize this for me. I basically can't buy a new bike in 2021. Which forces me to used. That trek Farley EX8 will probably happen if the guy still has it later in the week. I'll drive down there on Friday and snag it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:32 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:27 am
Marked as sold on FBM so, I'm out. :|

Honestly at this point, I think I'll go rent the fat bike from the shop to try it out but wait until next year to buy anything. I'll just get into more road stuff on the gravel bike this year and get back my old giant to try out the trails when the snow is gone.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:09 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:01 am
Marked as sold on FBM so, I'm out. :|

Honestly at this point, I think I'll go rent the fat bike from the shop to try it out but wait until next year to buy anything. I'll just get into more road stuff on the gravel bike this year and get back my old giant to try out the trails when the snow is gone.
There will be other bikes.

Ride whatcha got and wait for a :dill: to pop up.
Yep, just tough because I don't have a bike I can ride for the rest of winter. But as soon as spring hits :plaid:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:14 pm Did some MTB today at Markham park with the crew.

5/7 finally having my own bikes down here.
Looks like a good time!

----

3rd day in a row on the Peloton this morning and I'm feeling it. Not necessarily sore, but the lactic acid built up really quickly this morning and I can tell I need to spend some extra time with the foam roller on my quads. I also need to tweak my cleats a bit, they're definitely a little too far forward on the shoes. Those pics are making me really want to make some progress, though, and see how much faster I can be on the MTB in the spring. :plaid:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:45 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:14 pm Did some MTB today at Markham park with the crew.

5/7 finally having my own bikes down here.
Looks like a good time!

----

3rd day in a row on the Peloton this morning and I'm feeling it. Not necessarily sore, but the lactic acid built up really quickly this morning and I can tell I need to spend some extra time with the foam roller on my quads. I also need to tweak my cleats a bit, they're definitely a little too far forward on the shoes. Those pics are making me really want to make some progress, though, and see how much faster I can be on the MTB in the spring. :plaid:
Cleat placement is a tricky one, I still don't think I've found the sweet spot. I had read that one should try to angle the feet a tad how they would be when you're standing naturally. I tried that, which I didn't really like. Now I have them perpendicular to the crank which seems better. Fore/aft you just have to mess with a bit.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:10 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:45 am

Looks like a good time!

----

Cleat placement is a tricky one, I still don't think I've found the sweet spot. I had read that one should try to angle the feet a tad how they would be when you're standing naturally. I tried that, which I didn't really like. Now I have them perpendicular to the crank which seems better. Fore/aft you just have to mess with a bit.
Yeah, I adjusted them after my FTP Test ride and I think I went the wrong direction. I thought they were too far back, moved them forward some, and now feel like I'm pushing too much through my toes. I think the right one isn't lined up properly side to side, either, I haven't felt square for the last two rides. Taking tomorrow off from the bike, so I'll probably use that time to pair up the HR monitor and try to dial in the cleats.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I placed an deposit for a 2021 Ibis Ripmo V2 yesterday. Upgraded to the Fox 36 and DPX2 suspension.

ETA late July. Hope to come out of rehab and be able to get ripping on that.

Occam is kinda for sale, but if I keep it I’ll have a nice fleet with the 27.5+ nukeproof, the 27.5 Occam trail bike, and the 29er Ripmo.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:55 am I placed an deposit for a 2021 Ibis Ripmo V2 yesterday. Upgraded to the Fox 36 and DPX2 suspension.

Occam is kinda for sale, but if I keep it I’ll have a nice fleet with the 27.5+ nukeproof, the 27.5 Occam trail bike, and the 29er Ripmo.
Nice man! Congrats and good luck on the six month waiting game... I know it all too well :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm curious what everyone is using as a rack solution... I have a pretty basic hitch rack similar to this:

It has served me well for not a lot of money over the years... but I'm not too keen on putting my carbon frame in that thing and it definitely scratches the bikes up a bit with multiple. Plus, extra bungees and such are required to prevent swinging around.

I have the wants for this - https://www.rei.com/product/109437/kuat ... lsrc=aw.ds

Image but I'm hoping to score something used.

Anyone have any other experience with hitch racks that worked well? I need it to haul road and mountain bikes and work with a 2" or 1.25" receiver.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:13 pm I'm curious what everyone is using as a rack solution... I have a pretty basic hitch rack similar to this:

It has served me well for not a lot of money over the years... but I'm not too keen on putting my carbon frame in that thing and it definitely scratches the bikes up a bit with multiple. Plus, extra bungees and such are required to prevent swinging around.

I have the wants for this - https://www.rei.com/product/109437/kuat ... lsrc=aw.ds

Anyone have any other experience with hitch racks that worked well? I need it to haul road and mountain bikes and work with a 2" or 1.25" receiver.
I bought this 10 years ago, I think it was the same price even...

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-Co ... ljaz10cnVl

It's ridiculously solid/heavy, I've abused the hell out of it, left it outside for years, done zero to it other than oiling the pivot points so it's easier to latch bikes on, I used it quite a bit last summer with zero issues. It's remarkable for such a cheap chinese thing to be so quality. I bet quality has degraded, it was too good 10 years ago.

Then on the other end of the spectrum, my dad has this:

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

It's ridiculously nice, but does the same job at the end of the day.

I will say that the fancy 1up accommodates access to the rear of the vehicle a lot better. My dad uses it on his Vagon, and the way it pivots down when the bikes are removed provides unrestricted access to the back. My poverty swagman rack has a folding middle post, which is good, but doesn't swing down. Also, the 1up holds the bikes by the wheels (bit metal loops ratchet over them, whereas the Swagman has the middle post with rubber hooks that clamp down. I think both are equally secure, just two different ways of achieving the same thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:13 pm I'm curious what everyone is using as a rack solution... I have a pretty basic hitch rack similar to this:

It's ridiculously solid/heavy, I've abused the hell out of it, left it outside for years, done zero to it other than oiling the pivot points so it's easier to latch bikes on, I used it quite a bit last summer with zero issues. It's remarkable for such a cheap chinese thing to be so quality. I bet quality has degraded, it was too good 10 years ago.

I will say that the fancy 1up accommodates access to the rear of the vehicle a lot better. My dad uses it on his Vagon, and the way it pivots down when the bikes are removed provides unrestricted access to the back. My poverty swagman rack has a folding middle post, which is good, but doesn't swing down. Also, the 1up holds the bikes by the wheels (bit metal loops ratchet over them, whereas the Swagman has the middle post with rubber hooks that clamp down. I think both are equally secure, just two different ways of achieving the same thing.
:word:

My buddy Maxx who I ride with has that same Swagman he uses on his FR-S. It sounds like quality may have degraded a bit, but it is still pretty nice for the price. A couple of issues I have with it though - it's tricky to put on two bikes of similar size and I'm concerned that it torques down on the frame to hold the bike... this concerns me with a carbon bike. Have you ever put a carbon frame in that thing?

The 1up racks look super nice, my boss recommended that as well. They don't offer a two bike solution with 1.25" receiver :doe: :disappoint:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:15 pm

:word:

My buddy Maxx who I ride with has that same Swagman he uses on his FR-S. It sounds like quality may have degraded a bit, but it is still pretty nice for the price. A couple of issues I have with it though - it's tricky to put on two bikes of similar size and I'm concerned that it torques down on the frame to hold the bike... this concerns me with a carbon bike. Have you ever put a carbon frame in that thing?

The 1up racks look super nice, my boss recommended that as well. They don't offer a two bike solution with 1.25" receiver :doe: :disappoint:
It is indeed a bit tricky to get two similar sized bikes on it, but I've never run into an issue that was insurmountable.

I carried my CF Road bike on it all the time back when I had it. The nice thing with the way the hooks ratchet down on the top tube is you can adjust how much it pushes down. It doesn't take much to hold a CF bike in place, so I'd usually just snug it up to where the hook was putting just a bit of downward pressure and that was good enough. Never damaged the bike or ran into issues. I'm also dumb and feel like the center post grabbing the top tube is more secure than loops grabbing the wheels. I know that's not true, but it's just my perception.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I have a 1up USA rack that adjusts receiver sizes and has adjustability from 1-4 bikes depending on how many add on segments you buy.

It’s indestructible.

Buy the one bike 1.25” model and an add on rack to have the most flexibility. They ship it with a 2” adapter.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:19 pm I have a 1up USA rack that adjusts receiver sizes and has adjustability from 1-4 bikes depending on how many add on segments you buy.

It’s indestructible.

Buy the one bike 1.25” model and an add on rack to have the most flexibility. They ship it with a 2” adapter.
That is pretty :neat: that it's modular. I'd say about 70% of the time it's just me so something small is kind of nice. My wife and I do tend to take both of our bikes on road trips :doe: and I do occasionally take a friend with me to a trail head or something.

It looks to come out to about the same cost as the Kuat for dual carrying.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:40 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:19 pm I have a 1up USA rack that adjusts receiver sizes and has adjustability from 1-4 bikes depending on how many add on segments you buy.

It’s indestructible.

That is pretty :neat: that it's modular. I'd say about 70% of the time it's just me so something small is kind of nice. My wife and I do tend to take both of our bikes on road trips :doe: and I do occasionally take a friend with me to a trail head or something.

It looks to come out to about the same cost as the Kuat for dual carrying.
It also dismantles and folds nicely and stores in two small 12x10x36” boxes that it ships in. They also have a good wall Mount available and a bunch of locks and accessories. I love the thing.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:55 am I placed an deposit for a 2021 Ibis Ripmo V2 yesterday. Upgraded to the Fox 36 and DPX2 suspension.

That blue they got for this year is great

Did you see the new Nukeproof giga?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:55 pm

Brabbey has that one. Kuat is good stuff.

I rock the Rockymounts stuff both for the bed mounts and the hitch rack (Splitrail). Easy to get parts for if you need them and also can key the whole setup with one key with their lock cores.

Also, the Splitrail has an integrated cable lock for the hunnies, and is modular as well. I can add a 3rd tray if I wanted.

The 1Up rack is also muy bien.
It sounds like you've seen/used Rockymounts, 1Up and Kuat stuff... do you see any compelling reason to choose one over the others? They all seem very quality and all come in around $550.

I think I'm leaning slightly towards 1Up as it won't require additional pieces to go on both of our cars and is light/easy to stow/store. The RockyMounts Monorail comes in at a lower price :doe: Maybe I'll just keep looking used and take any of the above that I can find, but it's seemingly tough to have one pop up, and they disappear quickly when they do.
ChrisoftheNorth

How are you guys ordering bikes?

Bike shops in town (3) have all told me that they can't order bikes for customers because the supply chain is so jacked up with every brand...they just take what they get. One place agreed to call me if they get a bike I want in my size in, but that's it.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:53 am How are you guys ordering bikes?

Bike shops in town (3) have all told me that they can't order bikes for customers because the supply chain is so jacked up with every brand...they just take what they get. One place agreed to call me if they get a bike I want in my size in, but that's it.
They're going off inventory they have scheduled to come in later this year and put me on the list for $100 towards the bike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:53 am How are you guys ordering bikes?

I went for direct, but it's not an option with the huge brands like Giant, Trek, etc. Most of the direct places seem to be able to fulfill, albeit with a long wait. Ribble at least stayed pretty true to the promised timeline on my bike, which ended up being about six months (two months of that was custom paint and delivery from the UK).