Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:05 pm Welp, bikes sold out across town and shops claim they can't even order for customers because supply is so messed up. Did find one shop that has an XL fat bike in their rental fleet :doe: so going to schedule some time to ride it next week.

:excited:
I mean, It sucks to wait, but renting one and going out for a few rides will be a great test run to see if it’s your thing.

I’m not a fan of the idea of a fat bike here, but man riding that thing around in your snow, woods, and lake views sounds fucking 7/7.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, I finally knocked out a real, Englishmotherfucker, Century.

I did the first 61 miles solo then met up with my buddy Maxx for the last 40ish. This ride was pretty tough for me but cool to know that I can :doit:

The toughest things were really the weather and just mentally pedaling for 61 miles alone. It started off 30F and got up to a whopping 44F, grey almost all day with only an hour or so of sunshine. I’ve done one or two other metric centuries solo and many 50ish milers, but all with better scenery and weather. Charlotte winter on a dark day is 1/7. Once I meet up with Maxx it was more fun getting to shoot the shit and slowing the pace a little (he rides an 82 Schwinn).

I also think I ate too much last night (thanks weed) and not enough today but it was alright. Some chocolate at mile 45 was dope.

All in all, I’m pleased with the effort.

Mile 0:
(Please excuse the non ZilSpec Corvette)

Mile 61:

Mile 100:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:05 pm Welp, bikes sold out across town and shops claim they can't even order for customers because supply is so messed up. Did find one shop that has an XL fat bike in their rental fleet :doe: so going to schedule some time to ride it next week.

:excited:
I mean, It sucks to wait, but renting one and going out for a few rides will be a great test run to see if it’s your thing.

I’m not a fan of the idea of a fat bike here, but man riding that thing around in your snow, woods, and lake views sounds fucking 7/7.
I'm not getting a bike THIS YEAR I went to 2 shops and both said they're getting so few bikes that I probably couldn't get anything until the fall. The problem is my size, they claim there's very few XL bikes coming in.

There's one more shop I need to swing into, but man, it's not looking good.

I did find out that there hundreds of miles of groomed dedicated fat bike trails 20 minutes from my house. They're apparently epic for fat tire. I'll rent from that one shop a few times to see how I like it. Just $40 for the day.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:36 pm Well, I finally knocked out a real, Englishmotherfucker, Century.

I did the first 61 miles solo then met up with my buddy Maxx for the last 40ish. This ride was pretty tough for me but cool to know that I can :doit:

The toughest things were really the weather and just mentally pedaling for 61 miles alone. It started off 30F and got up to a whopping 44F, grey almost all day with only an hour or so of sunshine. I’ve done one or two other metric centuries solo and many 50ish milers, but all with better scenery and weather. Charlotte winter on a dark day is 1/7. Once I meet up with Maxx it was more fun getting to shoot the shit and slowing the pace a little (he rides an 82 Schwinn).

I also think I ate too much last night (thanks weed) and not enough today but it was alright. Some chocolate at mile 45 was dope.

Mile 0:
(Please excuse the non ZilSpec Corvette)

Mile 61:

Mile 100:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:impressive: :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:27 pm

I'm not getting a bike THIS YEAR I went to 2 shops and both said they're getting so few bikes that I probably couldn't get anything until the fall. The problem is my size, they claim there's very few XL bikes coming in.

There's one more shop I need to swing into, but man, it's not looking good.

I did find out that there hundreds of miles of groomed dedicated fat bike trails 20 minutes from my house. They're apparently epic for fat tire. I'll rent from that one shop a few times to see how I like it. Just $40 for the day.
Dude, that sounds epic (the trails). Totally amazing way to enjoy the winter.

If you like the bike, check out direct companies like Canyon and Orbea. Jenson USA is where I bought my mountain bike and it worked out well. The road bike was direct from Ribble in the UK.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:06 pm Well done on knocking out your first full century, Griff!

Need a City Chevrolet kit for that paint scheme.
Would buy if I ever saw it available.
ChrisoftheNorth

Had a bike shop tell me yesterday that I should get more into road biking because where I live is the best in the area with dedicated lanes and gorgeous scenery. I know they're right.

this seems :notbad: for that purpose, there's a lot of rough road and lose gravel/dirt around here, this seems really :notbad: for that...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tory_share

I do have a gravel bike right now, it's my only bike. Aluminum frame with cf fork Performance Bike brand Scattante. Basic cable brakes that are ok and low end Shimano derailer. Gets the job done, but I've never really enjoyed spending lots of time on it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:36 pm Well, I finally knocked out a real, Englishmotherfucker, Century.

:impressive: shit dude! The longest ride I did on my CAAD10 was in the 40 mile range and I remember being absolutely wiped out by that point. 100 miles in the saddle is a long ass time.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:49 pm Coogs, there’s a 6 week cycling fitness program through Peloton - since you’re new to the bike, I’d recommend doing it. It’ll also give you a chance to try out various instructors and class styles.

Also, do an FTP (functional threshold power) test warmup and FTP test before starting the program to establish a baseline, then start the program. Once you’re done the 6 weeks, do the exact same FTP test warmup and FTP test again to determine your gainzzz.

Any questions, just let me know.
FTP test complete. Minus the 5% it was 174 watts. Pretty meh, but it's a place to start.

I'm assume you're talking about the "Mastering the Basics of Cycling" program? Seems to be the only cycling program I see.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:40 pm

:impressive: shit dude! The longest ride I did on my CAAD10 was in the 40 mile range and I remember being absolutely wiped out by that point. 100 miles in the saddle is a long ass time.
Thanks man! It was definitely a grind, but I’m sure I’ll do it again. Just with a group and/or better scenery and weather.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:21 pmYep, that’s the one.
Thanks dude. :like:

Gainzzz incoming.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:31 pmI’m curious to see the progress and what you think.

Also it’ll help you develop preferences for different trainers and their styles. Everyone’s a little different. Some people like metrics based training, some like motivational, some like 🦄 and 🌈.
Me too, hoping for some relatively quick newbie gains. I’ve never been an endurance athlete, so this kind of training will be a totally new stimulus for me. Either I’ll see some big gains pretty quickly, or I’ll figure out there’s a reason I’ve never gravitated to this kind of thing before.

I do think this intro course will be tough to stick to, but I’ll try. I’m the kind of moron who goes down a black diamond the first time out in skis. I feel the need to jump head first into the power zone training even if I’d ultimately be better served doing these intro/beginner rides.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:27 am
Detroit wrote:Had a bike shop tell me yesterday that I should get more into road biking because where I live is the best in the area with dedicated lanes and gorgeous scenery. I know they're right.

this seems :notbad: for that purpose, there's a lot of rough road and lose gravel/dirt around here, this seems really :notbad: for that...

I do have a gravel bike right now, it's my only bike. Aluminum frame with cf fork Performance Bike brand Scattante. Basic cable brakes that are ok and low end Shimano derailer. Gets the job done, but I've never really enjoyed spending lots of time on it.
That Revolt is an I deal bike for riding mixed surfaces.

I could ride my gravel bike all day - it’s comfy AF. That Giant will beat you up far less over distances; aluminum just isn’t forgiving whereas carbon and modern frame geo does wonders for filtering out vibrations and bumps.

But, if you’ve already got a bike in working condition, just get out on it whenever and do some exploring. Rural b-roads are great for that.
Yea, I already have a working gravel bike and it's fine. Just can't ride ATM with snow/ice covering random parts of the road. Spring I'll be a machine.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:34 am Anyways, enjoying my time in Florida.

:notbad:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:34 am Anyways, enjoying my time in Florida.

:datass:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:19 am The big thing with the program is that it will teach you to refine your form on the bike. Smooth pedaling, circular, flat back, arms bent; it’s all stuff that carries over really well to riding outdoors. If you can be one thing on the bike, be efficient.

With proper form will come more power; you’ll be engaging the right muscles.

Also, make sure you’re stretching after your classes to stay loose and prevent any injuries, and give your body a chance to warm up when starting the classes before putting the hammer down (I do a 5 min warmup class before my classes even).
In the first class of the program this morning she was giving some good cues along the way to correct points in my posture I was neglecting. Good stuff, even though my avg. output was only 107 watts, despite being at the top of the recommended resistance and cadence ranges the entire time. I know it'll ramp up, but that was a struggle after hitting 183 yesterday. I did do a 5 min post-ride stretch, and I have some hockey-specific mobility routines I do basically every night, so no worries there. I appreciate the advice!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:19 am
coogles wrote:
Me too, hoping for some relatively quick newbie gains. I’ve never been an endurance athlete, so this kind of training will be a totally new stimulus for me. Either I’ll see some big gains pretty quickly, or I’ll figure out there’s a reason I’ve never gravitated to this kind of thing before.

I do think this intro course will be tough to stick to, but I’ll try. I’m the kind of moron who goes down a black diamond the first time out in skis. I feel the need to jump head first into the power zone training even if I’d ultimately be better served doing these intro/beginner rides.
The big thing with the program is that it will teach you to refine your form on the bike. Smooth pedaling, circular, flat back, arms bent; it’s all stuff that carries over really well to riding outdoors. If you can be one thing on the bike, be efficient.

With proper form will come more power; you’ll be engaging the right muscles.

Also, make sure you’re stretching after your classes to stay loose and prevent any injuries, and give your body a chance to warm up when starting the classes before putting the hammer down (I do a 5 min warmup class before my classes even).
:dat:

I was having some major elbow discomfort back in the spring/summer - I was doing too many pushups but also realized I was riding my bike with my arms locked. Mindfulness of that and some fitment adjustments really helped me be more comfortable on my bike outdoors. I really don't enjoy indoor training at all, but I do think the classes help with building fundamentals.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote:Had a bike shop tell me yesterday that I should get more into road biking because where I live is the best in the area with dedicated lanes and gorgeous scenery. I know they're right.

I could ride my gravel bike all day - it’s comfy AF. That Giant will beat you up far less over distances; aluminum just isn’t forgiving whereas carbon and modern frame geo does wonders for filtering out vibrations and bumps.

But, if you’ve already got a bike in working condition, just get out on it whenever and do some exploring. Rural b-roads are great for that.
All :dat:

I put in over 3,000 miles on a road bike from the 80s last year, ride what ya got. That said, if you have the means/desire for something new, why not? I can say having gone from steel to carbon, carbon is just :mindblown: better as a frame material. The stiffness in acceleration is nuts, the difference is huge. It also still rides pretty well, a bit different but at least as good as my steel bike.

It was funny riding with Maxx miles 62-100 of my century. Despite me being tired as hell and him actually matching/beating me on climbing which isn't our norm, accelerating out of lights and stuff, I just flew ahead. Sure the lightness and stuff make a difference, but I really think the frame stiffness is bigger, based on my "butt dyno". I am also so much faster downhill on the new bike, the more aerodynamic carbon shapes make a big difference (plus better brakes).

That Giant is definitely 5/7. What is your current road bike, Chris?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

5/7 bike thread content. Now we just need Johnny_P and :mahtroy: back.

Those FL pics are great, Z. :jelly: How did you find riding a metric in the flats after being used to so much climbing? It's always quite a change when I ride on the coast.
ChrisoftheNorth

ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:08 am

I put in over 3,000 miles on a road bike from the 80s last year, ride what ya got. That said, if you have the means/desire for something new, why not? I can say having gone from steel to carbon, carbon is just :mindblown: better as a frame material. The stiffness in acceleration is nuts, the difference is huge. It also still rides pretty well, a bit different but at least as good as my steel bike.

It was funny riding with Maxx miles 62-100 of my century. Despite me being tired as hell and him actually matching/beating me on climbing which isn't our norm, accelerating out of lights and stuff, I just flew ahead. Sure the lightness and stuff make a difference, but I really think the frame stiffness is bigger, based on my "butt dyno". I am also so much faster downhill on the new bike, the more aerodynamic carbon shapes make a big difference (plus better brakes).

What's funny is I bought a full CF Trek Madone ~10 years ago now when I lived in CA. I rode it all the time, and it was indeed fast AF.

But then I moved to Michigan and the roads are just way too crappy for such a bike. When I inherited my dad's poverty aluminum gravel bike, it actually felt a bit faster than the CF Madone because I could blast over anything/everything. I'm just going to be keeping that I think, at least until it slows me down.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:17 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:08 am

What's funny is I bought a full CF Trek Madone ~10 years ago now when I lived in CA. I rode it all the time, and it was indeed fast AF.

But then I moved to Michigan and the roads are just way too crappy for such a bike. When I inherited my dad's poverty aluminum gravel bike, it actually felt a bit faster than the CF Madone because I could blast over anything/everything. I'm just going to be keeping that I think, at least until it slows me down.
:word:

Sounds like a solid move, you will know when it's time to upgrade. In4pics of the aluminum machine. The gravel tires should keep it fairly compliant.

You still need a fat and/or mountain bike :doe: .
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:14 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:10 am 5/7 bike thread content. Now we just need Johnny_P and :mahtroy: back.

Those FL pics are great, Z. :jelly: How did you find riding a metric in the flats after being used to so much climbing? It's always quite a change when I ride on the coast.
Easy, aside from being in the saddle too much.

My undercarriage is a bit sore today.
Hmmm my :dong: was rather numb Saturday night. Feelz.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Moar :abubey: pics.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... =undefined

Reviews of that thing are fantastic. If it wasn't 3 hours away, I'd be riding it right now.

Damn work.