Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:13 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:45 pm Any of you bros have experience with or knowledge of Poseidon Bikes? Been seeing ads for them, and they're competitively priced, but I don't know anything about bikes, so I can't tell if they cut corners to get those lower prices..
I just looked at them. Probably not bad, but they have cheapish components.

What are you looking to do on the bike? Commute around? Ride trails?
Mostly just commute around, possibly get into some light trail riding with a buddy after the PNW move. Bike I saw was advertised as a gravel bike.. assuming that'd be what I want to roll around on?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:13 pm

I just looked at them. Probably not bad, but they have cheapish components.

What are you looking to do on the bike? Commute around? Ride trails?
Mostly just commute around, possibly get into some light trail riding with a buddy after the PNW move. Bike I saw was advertised as a gravel bike.. assuming that'd be what I want to roll around on?
Gravel bikes are really popular now, pretty much every company makes one. It's basically a road bike with mountain bike tires (kind of an over generalization). I would say it's a great bike style for you. I personally vastly prefer drop style handlebars (which these have) to flat bars. You're just a lot more efficient in that position and IMO it's comfier as you can move around a bit on the bars to different positions.

I think something like those bikes would be pretty dece for commuter duty, although you could also get a 10 year old road bike for pretty cheap that would be a bit more efficient and may have a bit more durable components. I think on more aggressive trails cheaper bikes start to fall apart a bit.

In that range I would likely get one of these with the carbon fork upgrade ($1200 or so all in) - https://www.statebicycle.com/collection ... -650b-700c

Reality is that it is likely not that much better or worse than the Poseiden you checked out. This State is steel versus aluminum - steel is a little bit heavier but rides better/more compliant, IMO looks better, and is stronger. Aluminum is lighter and stiffer (accelerates a little better).
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:14 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:51 pm

Bruh it's been cold AF here and I have no cold weather gear. My Emonda will stay hung on the ceiling of the garage until April.

That is tempting, but I'll be cooking up dinner for the fam at 5. Have fun!
Sad. I really like to keep indoor rides as short and intense as possible. I would just freestyle it (or one of their scenic rides) and get some good TV or a book for that. Z2 riding should be easy enough that you can soak in some TV, YouTube, reading, etc.
Yeah man, ain't nobody riding outside right now in central Indiana.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:14 pm

Sad. I really like to keep indoor rides as short and intense as possible. I would just freestyle it (or one of their scenic rides) and get some good TV or a book for that. Z2 riding should be easy enough that you can soak in some TV, YouTube, reading, etc.
Yeah man, ain't nobody riding outside right now in central Indiana.

I've ridden in the 20s... it does suck :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:40 pm State stuff is solid, I've got a buddy of mine who rides one of their bikes. It's not the lightest thing but spec is good and it's well built.
:dat:

I know a bunch of hipsters around here who ride them, some bike messengers who do like 300 miles/week. They're heavy but robust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Thanks Brohams. Saved some notes in my phone. Will revisit after the move and seeing what stuff is actually like up there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yo Pelotooberz, what is the Strive Score?

I was going to do the ride [user not found] did last night this AM but it didn't appear to be posted yet, so I did a HIIT/Hills with Alex from a few weeks ago.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6553618505
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:52 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:46 am Yo Pelotooberz, what is the Strive Score?

I was going to do the ride [user not found] did last night this AM but it didn't appear to be posted yet, so I did a HIIT/Hills with Alex from a few weeks ago.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6553618505
The strive score: https://blog.onepeloton.com/strive-score/

Basically just a way to measure how hard a workout was for you. It requires a HR monitor, doe.
:word: I use one, today was the first time I ever noticed it. Basically looks like it's similar to that Effort Calculator on Strava. Kind of :neat: for me since I don't have powah data, I can see how my efforts are stacking up.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:50 pm Missed a good one Coogs.
:sad:

Nice work dude. I just did a little 30 minute recovery ride this morning (averaged ~98 watts :lol:) and some hockey-specific mobility work after before the kids were out of bed. No way I could do a ride like that the day before a game and not play like total :poop:.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

What does the collective think a good brand for winter gear is? Competitive Cyclist is doing 20% off their winter gear. Gore?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:06 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:52 am What does the collective think a good brand for winter gear is? Competitive Cyclist is doing 20% off their winter gear. Gore?
Gore is fantastic. I also really like my Pearl Izumi and Bontrager stuff.

https://bikerumor.com/category/buyers-guides/ <- good source of details.
:mahman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:06 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:52 am What does the collective think a good brand for winter gear is? Competitive Cyclist is doing 20% off their winter gear. Gore?
Gore is fantastic. I also really like my Pearl Izumi and Bontrager stuff.

https://bikerumor.com/category/buyers-guides/ <- good source of details.
:dat:
Pearl Izumi and Bontrager are nice, premium products at a not terrible price point, I don't think going above that tier in price is really necessary. Gore is similar as well.

IMO it really depends on the item. Jerseys I'm OK with cheaping out on a bit, bibs, get something nice. Gloves are another area not to cheap out on. Some things I'd go non cycling specific (for example, I have a fleece Carhart neck gaiter that is warm as hell, wicks sweat/dries quickly, and is not heavy, all while being like $10). I sometimes ride with non cycling specific gloves and they kind of suck. I've had great luck with just using Amazon tights that are $15-20 over my bibs. That way, I don't need full sets of specific winter and summer bibs, I just do bib shorts and throw the tights on over if it's cold.

You could spend like $1K on a ncie winter kit setup, but I don't think that is necessary.

Honestly, :scrooge: stuff like nitrile gloves under cycling gloves and plastic bags between your socks and shoes are ghetto but work pretty well unless you're going on very long rides (because they will keep your sweat in, so it will get freezing a few hours in or if you stop and then start again).
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:12 pm :dat:
Pearl Izumi and Bontrager are nice, premium products at a not terrible price point, I don't think going above that tier in price is really necessary. Gore is similar as well.

IMO it really depends on the item. Jerseys I'm OK with cheaping out on a bit, bibs, get something nice. Gloves are another area not to cheap out on. Some things I'd go non cycling specific (for example, I have a fleece Carhart neck gaiter that is warm as hell, wicks sweat/dries quickly, and is not heavy, all while being like $10). I sometimes ride with non cycling specific gloves and they kind of suck. I've had great luck with just using Amazon tights that are $15-20 over my bibs. That way, I don't need full sets of specific winter and summer bibs, I just do bib shorts and throw the tights on over if it's cold.

You could spend like $1K on a ncie winter kit setup, but I don't think that is necessary.

Honestly, :scrooge: stuff like nitrile gloves under cycling gloves and plastic bags between your socks and shoes are ghetto but work pretty well unless you're going on very long rides (because they will keep your sweat in, so it will get freezing a few hours in or if you stop and then start again).
Thanks dude. Basically, if I'm going to try to do a longer ride each week, there's no way I'm going to be doing that in the basement staring at a screen, I need to be outside or it's just not going to happen.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

What size do you wear in jackets/jerseys? I have a Gore jacket you can probably just have. I think it’s a large. Doesn’t fit me right and I think it’s too warm for me.

Dressing in layers helps. A base layer is key. Also I really like my pactimo winter vest. It’s very warm and was worth the price. Their insulated bibs kind of blow though.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Update the All City with GRX hydro components or get a different rig? I would like stronger brakes. Frame is QR axles, IS tabs for disc mounts, and straight steerer tube. It’s a heavy frame but I love the damn thing.

Only replacement I can think of is a Santa Cruz Stigmata.

This is basically the only bike I ride anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:22 pm Update the All City with GRX hydro components or get a different rig? I would like stronger brakes. Frame is QR axles, IS tabs for disc mounts, and straight steerer tube. It’s a heavy frame but I love the damn thing.

You’re stuck with the availability issue. If you can find parts, upgrade.

If you can find a bike you want… upgrade.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:22 pm Update the All City with GRX hydro components or get a different rig? I would like stronger brakes. Frame is QR axles, IS tabs for disc mounts, and straight steerer tube. It’s a heavy frame but I love the damn thing.

Seems like you have always loved that thing. I would keep it and upgrade if you can find the parts and you're otherwise happy. You don't need a light bike to be fast and have fun. I can go almost as fast on my boat anchor with GravelKings as my carbon bike with GP5000 :lolol:

If you find something you love and it's available/within your budget :doe: , why not?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:57 pm What size do you wear in jackets/jerseys? I have a Gore jacket you can probably just have. I think it’s a large. Doesn’t fit me right and I think it’s too warm for me.

Dressing in layers helps. A base layer is key. Also I really like my pactimo winter vest. It’s very warm and was worth the price. Their insulated bibs kind of blow though.
If it's a large and he doesn't want it, I'd take it off your hands :vulture:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:23 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:57 pm What size do you wear in jackets/jerseys? I have a Gore jacket you can probably just have. I think it’s a large. Doesn’t fit me right and I think it’s too warm for me.

:lol:

I wear a large as well. :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:44 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:23 am

:lol:

I wear a large as well. :like:
You should take first right of refusal, you need it more than I if you're so inclined.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, it looks like Orbea is going to warranty the frame, they're going to give me a 2021 Alma:

Just the frame of course. I will throw all of my 2016 Alma components on there and sell it I guess.

I also may give it to my buddy Matt since his wife is :scrooge: and won't let him :boxodicks: He's a big road/gravel rider but really wants to try MTB.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:24 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:31 pm Well, it looks like Orbea is going to warranty the frame, they're going to give me a 2021 Alma:

Just the frame of course. I will throw all of my 2016 Alma components on there and sell it I guess.

I also may give it to my buddy Matt since his wife is :scrooge: and won't let him :boxodicks: He's a big road/gravel rider but really wants to try MTB.
:notbad:

His wife sounds a bit :flaccid:
I’ve known her since college as well, she’s great generally but really doesn’t get the bike thing at all. You could show her a road bike and mountain bike side by side and she sees no difference so adding a third bike is very :butwhy:

I would probably keep it as a fourth :lolol: maybe build something weird like a rigid with drop bars, but my shed is quite full.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:29 pm
[user not found] wrote:Image

Alright pelotubers, here’s a good live challenge for y’all to try tomorrow.
This was a solid challenge. Did the 3 live classes and bookended them all with warm ups and cool downs, plus a 10 minute low impact ride between the 2nd and 3rd ride.

That last HIIT class hurt real good. Probably one of the best structured torture tests I’ve done on the Peloton. I’d highly recommend it to anyone with a Peloton on here.
I’ll give that one a whirl next Peloton sesh, maybe tomorrow.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:29 pmThis was a solid challenge. Did the 3 live classes and bookended them all with warm ups and cool downs, plus a 10 minute low impact ride between the 2nd and 3rd ride.

That last HIIT class hurt real good. Probably one of the best structured torture tests I’ve done on the Peloton. I’d highly recommend it to anyone with a Peloton on here.
I'm looking forward to switching things up, but midway through week 4 of 6 of this Power Zone Pack challenge and I'm feeling like I'm making some gains on the bike finally. Maybe manually bumping up my FTP by ~4.5% and riding in those zones is actually doing me some good. I've set 3 PRs in my last 4 rides, and the one I didn't was just a 30 minute endurance sesh spent mostly in Zone 3. I assume there will be an FTP test at the end of week 6.

:popcorn:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:33 am
coogles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:02 am

I'm looking forward to switching things up, but midway through week 4 of 6 of this Power Zone Pack challenge and I'm feeling like I'm making some gains on the bike finally. Maybe manually bumping up my FTP by ~4.5% and riding in those zones is actually doing me some good. I've set 3 PRs in my last 4 rides, and the one I didn't was just a 30 minute endurance sesh spent mostly in Zone 3. I assume there will be an FTP test at the end of week 6.

:popcorn:
:bravo:

You're forcing training adaptations to take place by pushing yourself just past threshold, basically.
For sure, even though it's not the way you're "supposed" to do it. Whatever Wilpers!!

My last ride was tough. All 1 minute rests in between efforts, and it went 4mins Z4, 4mins Z4, 2min Z5, 2min Z5, 1m Z6, 1m Z6, 2min Z5, 2min Z5, 4min Z4, 4min Z4. That last 2min Z5 effort blew me the fuck up, which makes sense given that's taking what should already be above threshold for me and then adding another ~5% to it.