Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

You could also call in to some bike shops in Detroit or Chicago or something, they may move more metal and have more allocations? I know Dustin (punchagoat) got a new Trek in Chicago last year without waiting.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:12 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:53 am How are you guys ordering bikes?

Bike shops in town (3) have all told me that they can't order bikes for customers because the supply chain is so jacked up with every brand...they just take what they get. One place agreed to call me if they get a bike I want in my size in, but that's it.
They're going off inventory they have scheduled to come in later this year and put me on the list for $100 towards the bike.
Oh, nice! None offered to do that for me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:14 am You could also call in to some bike shops in Detroit or Chicago or something, they may move more metal and have more allocations? I know Dustin (punchagoat) got a new Trek in Chicago last year without waiting.
When I go down to pick up the cucktruck, maybe I'll swing into a bike shop to see what the deal is in Metro Detroit.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:26 am
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:12 am

They're going off inventory they have scheduled to come in later this year and put me on the list for $100 towards the bike.
This looks cool and is in stock https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-b ... ngroesse=L

But damn, no XL offered :wtf: :disappoint:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:28 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:26 am
This looks cool and is in stock https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-b ... ngroesse=L

Yea, I'd probably buy this if they made an XL. I stood over a L fat bike at a bike shop, it just feels too small.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:43 am

Yea, I'd probably buy this if they made an XL. I stood over a L fat bike at a bike shop, it just feels too small.
Yeah there are people my height riding XL bikes, L is definitely too small for you :sad:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:29 pm
Yeah there are people my height riding XL bikes, L is definitely too small for you :sad:
I stood over a L fat bike at a shop last week, and it felt tiny.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

There do seem to be other options out there - this seems cool - https://growlerbikes.com/collections/fa ... n-fat-bike

I don't know anything about fat bikes (barely know anything about mountain bikes) but check out the direct brands, could be something out there.
ChrisoftheNorth

But I get it, there just aren't that many people out there buying XL bikes. Bike manufacturers really need to prioritize what has the most volume right now because it's so hard to get parts for supply.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:34 pm
There do seem to be other options out there - this seems cool - https://growlerbikes.com/collections/fa ... n-fat-bike

I don't know anything about fat bikes (barely know anything about mountain bikes) but check out the direct brands, could be something out there.
I don't know enough about direct brands to even start looking. I'm still :notsure: that a fatbike is the way yet, I was going to rent one then work got in the way and now it's going to be too cold to ride (for me) for the next few weeks.

I did manage to get my 2010 Trance back (long :rage: story)...so I have an MTB to ride in the spring/summer now :fuckyeah: . It needs some maintenance, but I've done everything on the bike already so it's cheap/easy.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:38 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:34 pm

I don't know enough about direct brands to even start looking. I'm still :notsure: that a fatbike is the way yet, I was going to rent one then work got in the way and now it's going to be too cold to ride (for me) for the next few weeks.

I did manage to get my 2010 Trance back (long :rage: story)...so I have an MTB to ride in the spring/summer now :fuckyeah: . It needs some maintenance, but I've done everything on the bike already so it's cheap/easy.
:nice: at least you have a way forward to try out the fat bike and get back into some riding! Cold months are a good time to get the Trance back in tip-top shape too :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:38 pm

:nice: at least you have a way forward to try out the fat bike and get back into some riding! Cold months are a good time to get the Trance back in tip-top shape too :notbad:
Yep! It's at my dad's house downstate right now, so I'm going to grab it when I pick up the cucktruck to assess what it needs. The last I recall, there was excessive play in the rear shock bushing and the front fork was just about ready for new seals. It's spent the last year in unknown conditions, so it could be a basket case. Staying hopeful :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Feels like I’m making gainzz already. I stuck to the recommended cadence and resistance ranges for the first half then kinda said fuck it for the second and still almost matched my output from the FTP test.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:19 pmI think you’ve got enough fitness to add some resistance - but I would stick to the cadence ranges.

Good to see some gainz brah.
Sure is. For that ride the max recommended resistance was 50 - that was a beginner ride since I’m still doing that program - I went up up to 55/56 during the high effort intervals, but I surely could have gone higher. To increase my output I spun faster instead of increasing the resistance to 60+, but I’ll bump up the resistance next time instead. Thanks Zil!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:35 pm Last ride in Florida was at Virginia Key North Point Trails which were a blast. Small loops of varying difficulty, something for everyone. Great views and great features too.
Looks like a good time. :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I really, really, really want to go ride in FL right now, looks :megusta: !

I'm :sad: I didn't MTB much back when I lived in Miami, mostly just commuted to campus on my bike and road down in the Everglades occasionally.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:45 pm Yeah, there’s times where the recommended resistance is only 50 and I’m at 70 to hit the cadence requested.

Adding resistance will build power, guaranteed.
This morning's ride was a shorter climbing ride, which definitely gave me the opportunity to bump up the resistance some. I played around a bit, and for the stickier parts I found I did best in the 62-65 range. I tried doing 73 for one interval just for "fun" and had to drop the resistance down lower than what I think would've been recommended to recover, so I went back into the low to mid 60s and did better when the cadence dropped from 80-90 to ~60 to recover. Already 10 watts better than my FTP test, though, and definitely had more in me. :fuckyeah:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That looks awesome, man! Glad you enjoyed the ride. Anywhere else cool you're riding on this trip?

Do you have a dropper post?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It was 63F and sunny here this afternoon. I was pleased with the weather but didn’t have time to get out until 5:30. It wound up being perfect weather, a beautiful sunset, and a pretty quick ride for me. 5/7 overall.

Hopefully you will find some similar weather anomalies!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm It was 63F and sunny here this afternoon. I was pleased with the weather but didn’t have time to get out until 5:30. It wound up being perfect weather, a beautiful sunset, and a pretty quick ride for me. 5/7 overall.

:jelly: Nice work dude! Nearly 200W for 96 minutes is some good stuff.

It's been cold AF here the last several days. I'm not usually one to complain about winter, but this year it's bugging the fuck out of me not being able to get the kids outside and out of the house like we did all summer.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

These beginner rides are super hit or miss. This morning's was 20 minutes, but only 8 minutes of it was the work portion, plus a 10 minute warmup and 2 minute cooldown. Two 3 minute pushes with a 2 minute recovery in between. The last 3 minute push was a ramp in resistance at about an 80 cadence, so I went from 50 for a minute, to 55, to 60, with that last full minute being in the 310-320 watt range. Holy fuck. :dead: Most of the ride was meh, but that blew me up.

My wife wanted the Peloton mostly to help get her body back after having twins. Shit's rough, fellas. Anyway, she's set little weight loss goals for herself along the way with little rewards for losing 5lbs, 10lbs, etc., so I joked that if I can get a FTP test result of at least 300 watts I can get a roadie. She actually agreed after I thought she'd be forever :triggered: about bike talk after bringing up selling the Trance for a Ripley AF, so there's that. It seems almost unreal that I could ever maintain 300+ for an hour, but hey, goals.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:01 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm It was 63F and sunny here this afternoon. I was pleased with the weather but didn’t have time to get out until 5:30. It wound up being perfect weather, a beautiful sunset, and a pretty quick ride for me. 5/7 overall.

:jelly: Nice work dude! Nearly 200W for 96 minutes is some good stuff.

It's been cold AF here the last several days. I'm not usually one to complain about winter, but this year it's bugging the fuck out of me not being able to get the kids outside and out of the house like we did all summer.
Thanks, guys!

:notsure: on the 197W, Strava just makes those numbers up and they seem pretty questionable most of the time, but maybe. Regardless, I was pretty pleased with that pace over 30 miles and a bit of climbing. I so rarely go out in the afternoon, I think it being later in the day/post some eating made me quicker. I am often fasted on my morning rides (like today where I crashed a bit).
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:07 am Thanks, guys!

:notsure: on the 197W, Strava just makes those numbers up and they seem pretty questionable most of the time, but maybe. Regardless, I was pretty pleased with that pace over 30 miles and a bit of climbing. I so rarely go out in the afternoon, I think it being later in the day/post some eating made me quicker. I am often fasted on my morning rides (like today where I crashed a bit).
True. I guess unless you're using a power meter you don't really know, but you were moving.

I'm with you on the fasted bit. Whether it's hopping on the Peloton or lifting weights, if I work out first thing in the morning I'm always doing it fasted. I just can't eat right when I roll out of bed. It's fine for a 45 minute kettlebell circuit or a 20-30 minute ride if I drink some aminos along the way, but 90+ minutes would probably be rough. I've noticed I perform better athletically in the afternoons regardless, though. It's most noticeable in my grip strength - I feel like I weigh an extra 20 pounds hanging from the pullup bar at 6am than I do if I lift a couple hours after lunch.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:57 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:07 am Thanks, guys!

True. I guess unless you're using a power meter you don't really know, but you were moving.

I'm with you on the fasted bit. Whether it's hopping on the Peloton or lifting weights, if I work out first thing in the morning I'm always doing it fasted. I just can't eat right when I roll out of bed. It's fine for a 45 minute kettlebell circuit or a 20-30 minute ride if I drink some aminos along the way, but 90+ minutes would probably be rough. I've noticed I perform better athletically in the afternoons regardless, though. It's most noticeable in my grip strength - I feel like I weigh an extra 20 pounds hanging from the pullup bar at 6am than I do if I lift a couple hours after lunch.
I absolutely love breakfast food but I'm not really a breakfast person time-wise. I don't see much reason to eat before noon other than for some more intensive training. A lot of times if I do a longer fasted ride in the morning, I just suck down a granola bar or two along the road somewhere an hour or so in and that seems to be OK. I usually feel fine but it was evident yesterday evening that riding a couple of hours after eating a bunch of carbs makes a noticeable performance gain.

I've always been a before work lifter, I wonder if I could've done more with power lifting doing it in the afternoons :ohwell: that part of my life is over for now. My COVID at-home lifts are always in the mornings, but I don't have anything heavy enough for it to matter too much at home.