Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I won a spin bike off the local buy nothing facetube group. So I now have a spin bike for those quick 30 minute in between baby nap rides. Its great, way better than a trainer.

CX bike has had a flat for 2 months.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:22 am You’ll get there.

It’s not gonna be easy, though.
Nothing worth doing is. :LFG:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:09 pm I won a spin bike off the local buy nothing facetube group. So I now have a spin bike for those quick 30 minute in between baby nap rides. Its great, way better than a trainer.

What do you do on it?

:tits: bought one a few months ago and has the Peloton app. I try to do some Peloton classes but sort of detest it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:02 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:39 am

What do you do on it?

:tits: bought one a few months ago and has the Peloton app. I try to do some Peloton classes but sort of detest it.
It’s a tool for gainz not for fun, generally.

Let the watts flow through you.
:notwrong:

I save it for rainy days when I have to and it ends up being pretty effective cross training.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:02 am It’s a tool for gainz not for fun, generally.

I must be weird, I enjoy the grind. :sweaty:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:52 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:02 am It’s a tool for gainz not for fun, generally.

I find it so much more rewarding conquering a climb or something outside. :iono: I just enjoy being outdoors for exercise when I can. The grind definitely has its place though, it creates a satisfying feeling post workout.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:39 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:09 pm I won a spin bike off the local buy nothing facetube group. So I now have a spin bike for those quick 30 minute in between baby nap rides. Its great, way better than a trainer.

What do you do on it?

YouTube free spin classes. Surprisingly dece.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:00 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:52 pm

I find it so much more rewarding conquering a climb or something outside. :iono: I just enjoy being outdoors for exercise when I can. The grind definitely has its place though, it creates a satisfying feeling post workout.
I find the Peloton way more enjoyable the riding in the real world. Don't shoot me.

On the roadie I was always having to stop for traffic, or for some :derp: who let his dog wander across the bike path, or you name it, and I never got to put out a constant, measured effort. I can get done in 20 minutes on the Peloton what it would take me an hour plus to do on the CAAD10. On the MTB if I work this hard I then struggle to control the bike and feel like I'm going to wipe out into a tree. I'm looking forward to having improved my fitness enough to be faster and enjoy the braaps more on the MTB, but I view that as the reward, not part of the fitness process.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:00 pm

I find the Peloton way more enjoyable the riding in the real world. Don't shoot me.

On the roadie I was always having to stop for traffic, or for some :derp: who let his dog wander across the bike path, or you name it, and I never got to put out a constant, measured effort. I can get done in 20 minutes on the Peloton what it would take me an hour plus to do on the CAAD10. On the MTB if I work this hard I then struggle to control the bike and feel like I'm going to wipe out into a tree. I'm looking forward to having improved my fitness enough to be faster and enjoy the braaps more on the MTB, but I view that as the reward, not part of the fitness process.
That is fair... you have to go further/longer on a real bike to get the workout in you would on a spin ride for sure. It also takes finding the right roads and growing your comfort level risking your life with idiot motorists.

I love longer rides as they enable me to be a fatass, and I just can't imagine spinning inside for more than one hour, but some people can. I love scenery/fresh air as well. It is like two birds with one stone for me, getting my exercise in, and also getting my outdoor time in, I will go crazy without a good dose of both.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:29 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:25 am

And have mismatched components?

:howdareu: :fancy:
And have brakes that work without fail?

:ohwell:
Bled the brakes last night. 2 of the 4 pistons were not moving and another was lazy. Surprised how badly they held up after one year. Sram definitely require more love. Fluid was clean though.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:56 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:45 pm

Bled the brakes last night. 2 of the 4 pistons were not moving and another was lazy. Surprised how badly they held up after one year. Sram definitely require more love. Fluid was clean though.
You could really blow some :waxer: and get some Maguras for that jawn. No need to worry about mixing Shimano and SRAM then.
Don’t need to blow :waxer: on Maguras. They are sweet doe and I really like my Trails.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, I'm about to go pick this up https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... ger_banner

I just can't get excited about $550 for a rack. I had a Saris trunk mount rack in the past and it was of great quality. This gives me the mounting style I need for 1/4 the price. Hopefully I don't regret the :scrooge: but it seems like a dece product.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:27 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:02 am Well, I'm about to go pick this up https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... ger_banner

I just can't get excited about $550 for a rack. I had a Saris trunk mount rack in the past and it was of great quality. This gives me the mounting style I need for 1/4 the price. Hopefully I don't regret the :scrooge: but it seems like a dece product.
Should work, just make sure the hooks that hold the wheels don't contact the frame anywhere. Most newer racks like that have the wheel hooks wrapped in rubber.
Yeah I need to check out loading it up and stuff, but I think it should work nicely. Went ahead and picked it up. I may wrap the arms in gaff tape as well.

I do think I'll slightly miss having a :fancy: one, but this meets the needs and fits into my sustainability and :scrooge: sensibilities.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 am

Yeah I need to check out loading it up and stuff, but I think it should work nicely. Went ahead and picked it up. I may wrap the arms in gaff tape as well.

I do think I'll slightly miss having a :fancy: one, but this meets the needs and fits into my sustainability and :scrooge: sensibilities.
You can always upgrade later and sell this one for zero loss. NBD.
:dat: is my thought... The major downside to me right now is that it is pretty damn heavy. But at least that should make it robust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Now about 3 weeks into the Peloton life and I'm definitely starting to see some progress. I am curious about how I should be attacking intervals, though. I feel this need to go :balls: to the wall during each high interval and blast up to 350-400+ watts, but when I maintain that for 30-60 seconds I inevitably have to take off more resistance than the instructor recommends during the recovery period, with my watts dropping down below my FTP to 150 or even less. If you can call me an "athlete" I've always needed more fast twitch athletic ability than endurance, so I want to sprint and then have a more full recovery, rather than hold back some and push to 250-300 and only come back down to my FTP of ~180-200. Should I be doing the latter instead of the former? It does seem like I have a higher average output that way, but it's a bit unsatisfying to have my only 10/10 interval be the very last one of the ride.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:08 pm Awesome.

So, I usually leave enough in the tank for the last 2 intervals to be 10/10 efforts, much like I'd ride if I were doing a race; you want to save something for the end - and oftentimes, my very last interval is to failure, and not quite as good as the one before it, which I don't have a problem with. I believe in training to failure, because if you don't do it, you don't know your limits (and also you aren't pushing yourself hard enough).

If you find yourself needing more recovery, though, take it for now.

Over time you'll see your VO2 max improve, which means your recovery periods will be quicker, and you can push harder and longer without needing as much recovery (think active recovery instead of pure recovery). It'll take a bit of time to program your body's efficiency, though.

Once you get through the 6 week program, jump right into the 4 week Power Zone training program. It begins and ends with a FTP test, so no need to do them outside of the program.
:like:

Thanks Zach. Makes sense you wouldn't want to totally blow up your legs until the very last push or two. I cannot wait to test my FTP again, I suspect it's getting close to 200 now and up 10% or more over just 3 weeks based on what I'm doing in the classes versus my first attempt at it. I think most of the improvement I've seen so far is in technique and leg strength, though, my cardio capacity has a LONG way to go.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:56 pm Now about 3 weeks into the Peloton life and I'm definitely starting to see some progress. I am curious about how I should be attacking intervals, though. I feel this need to go :balls: to the wall during each high interval and blast up to 350-400+ watts, but when I maintain that for 30-60 seconds I inevitably have to take off more resistance than the instructor recommends during the recovery period, with my watts dropping down below my FTP to 150 or even less. If you can call me an "athlete" I've always needed more fast twitch athletic ability than endurance, so I want to sprint and then have a more full recovery, rather than hold back some and push to 250-300 and only come back down to my FTP of ~180-200. Should I be doing the latter instead of the former? It does seem like I have a higher average output that way, but it's a bit unsatisfying to have my only 10/10 interval be the very last one of the ride.
I am fairly new to Pelotoning but a pretty strong cyclist so I will add my $0.02. I am 100% with [user not found] that training to failure is key to improvement. You probably already know this from lifting. The way I got stronger in lifting most successfully was with 531 which involves one set to failure in every workout, so I would try to push until you can't anymore on the last few efforts (it could be 2, 3, 4 efforts). The final one may be a bit meh if the ones before it were intense, but I'd go for it.

I also tend to keep the resistance at the same level for recovery and just slow down. A lot of times the instructors don't mention a resistance change, so I just leave it be, but my cadence may drop quite a bit (60-65 range if I'm pushing hard I'd say).

I have noticed that during HIIT my heart rate seems to stay elevated basically the entire time, so I should likely push a bit less on some efforts and/or make the recovery easier, but I tend to push pretty hard as well and it seems to be working. I would maybe dial it back to the lower end of where you're working (maybe 325-350 watts) for the first sets and save the 400+ push until the end. Over time you will learn to pace better naturally inside or outside, however you're riding.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

@[user not found] your max heart rates are just nuts every time. I almost never see anything above 180. I guess I need to try harder.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 pm @[user not found] your max heart rates are just nuts every time. I almost never see anything above 180. I guess I need to try harder.
:dat: Mine hardly ever gets above 170, but I try pretty damn hard. :notsure: if I'll start to see my BPM start to go up over time as my cardiovascular fitness improves or if that's just the way I am. I did get an echocardiogram after having COVID and it came back normal, so hopefully no lasting effects from that. :iono:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:49 pm I am fairly new to Pelotoning but a pretty strong cyclist so I will add my $0.02. I am 100% with [user not found] that training to failure is key to improvement. You probably already know this from lifting. The way I got stronger in lifting most successfully was with 531 which involves one set to failure in every workout, so I would try to push until you can't anymore on the last few efforts (it could be 2, 3, 4 efforts). The final one may be a bit meh if the ones before it were intense, but I'd go for it.

I also tend to keep the resistance at the same level for recovery and just slow down. A lot of times the instructors don't mention a resistance change, so I just leave it be, but my cadence may drop quite a bit (60-65 range if I'm pushing hard I'd say).

I have noticed that during HIIT my heart rate seems to stay elevated basically the entire time, so I should likely push a bit less on some efforts and/or make the recovery easier, but I tend to push pretty hard as well and it seems to be working. I would maybe dial it back to the lower end of where you're working (maybe 325-350 watts) for the first sets and save the 400+ push until the end. Over time you will learn to pace better naturally inside or outside, however you're riding.
My problem has always been that I want to train to failure too much. When I was doing mostly traditional weightlifting I'd feel the need to basically train to failure on each set, rather than only the last one. 4 sets in and I'd be blown to pieces. The same was true when I started the kettlebell program - on some of the days it recommends 30-60 seconds of rest between sets, but as my fitness improved I'd try to cut that down as another way to force adaptation rather than getting another set of heavier kettlebells. It worked great for maybe 3 months, then I started to feel like my strength was dropping off because I was just burning myself out. I have a very HOORAH attitude, but I'm getting older and need to do a better job of listening my damn body.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:21 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:49 pm I am fairly new to Pelotoning but a pretty strong cyclist so I will add my $0.02. I am 100% with [user not found] that training to failure is key to improvement. You probably already know this from lifting. The way I got stronger in lifting most successfully was with 531 which involves one set to failure in every workout, so I would try to push until you can't anymore on the last few efforts (it could be 2, 3, 4 efforts). The final one may be a bit meh if the ones before it were intense, but I'd go for it.

My problem has always been that I want to train to failure too much. When I was doing mostly traditional weightlifting I'd feel the need to basically train to failure on each set, rather than only the last one. 4 sets in and I'd be blown to pieces. The same was true when I started the kettlebell program - on some of the days it recommends 30-60 seconds of rest between sets, but as my fitness improved I'd try to cut that down as another way to force adaptation rather than getting another set of heavier kettlebells. It worked great for maybe 3 months, then I started to feel like my strength was dropping off because I was just burning myself out. I have a very HOORAH attitude, but I'm getting older and need to do a better job of listening my damn body.
Dude, I get this 100%. I hate going through the effort of a workout and feeling like I did "nothing" so I have a tendency to push too hard, not take rest days, etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Had a funny moment on my ride yesterday... was stopped at a light in the right lane and next to me pulls up an E30. The thing is pretty beat but had some RPF1 or similar wheels on it and looked like it was a rallyX machine. Younger guy driving it with a hot chick shotgun. So I was admiring the car and the guy saw me and laughed, then jokingly pointed at me, pointed ahead, and we both started cracking up.

The light turned green and the drag race was on. Funny thing is a took him down by a long shot through first gear, once he shifted to second he pulled away. It turns out a beat 35 year old 318i is pretty dang slow :lolol:

I also saw a dude out on the road I've done some group rides with, we yelled at each other. He texted me and we're going to ride together this afternoon, should be a :nice: change of pace. That and the weather is epic here now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

@[user not found] has me wanting to do this one weekend: https://pjammcycling.com/climb/621.Mt.%20Mitchell
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:51 am @[user not found] has me wanting to do this one weekend: https://pjammcycling.com/climb/621.Mt.%20Mitchell
:jelly: of you all with real topography. I have to drive a good 90 minutes south before this state starts to get hilly. Damn glaciers.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:00 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:51 am @[user not found] has me wanting to do this one weekend: https://pjammcycling.com/climb/621.Mt.%20Mitchell
:jelly: of you all with real topography. I have to drive a good 90 minutes south before this state starts to get hilly. Damn glaciers.
That is a good drive from here, probably around two hours. Here, it is a bit hilly, about 50 ft. of gain per mile is typical, but there are no real tough, long clims.

Definitely cool stuff that's accessible :doe: , and hilly enough that some fun can be had on a MTB.