Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:Heading to Cape May today for some camping for a couple days, then it's up to Lewisburg on Saturday for UnPAved weekend.

Fingers crossed for good weather.
You picked a good weekend. At least up here it's supposed to be dry and unseasonably warm. Might even hit 70 briefly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

High today here is 80... it hasn't cracked above 70 until yesterday for a couple of weeks.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:29 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:02 am You picked a good weekend. At least up here it's supposed to be dry and unseasonably warm. Might even hit 70 briefly.
Kinda. Hurricane Delta might impact things a bit. :thankstrump:

Also, was going to bring the bike to Cape May but now nixing that because of the forecast calling for 20-35 mph winds over the next 48 hours.
Ballz. I was tentatively planning to try a longer outdoor ride tomorrow to test a number of things, guess I'd better check the winds before I go out. I'm slow and tense enough, I don't need to be fighting winds like that.

In somewhat good news, the fitting follow-up yesterday turned out to be a confirmation that I was going in the right direction. The flexibility that I've gained really does put me in a much lower and longer default position (which leaves this frame as only slightly big for me but not unreasonable, so no hurry to upgrade) - as long as I can suppress my instinct to hold my head up so much. My old neck injury is still there but the main problem is that...

I was fucking doing it :wrong: the whole god damn time.

The bike setup has always been at least "good enough" but from years and years of racing and other sports I have a deeply ingrained tendency to always keep my whole head up and pointed toward wherever I want to go. Especially in autox, you turn your whole head to look at the course ahead and then the car follows. Apparently on a bike you need to keep your head parallel to your chest and only look with your eyes, basically doing a :rolleyes: in order to see the road ahead.

I only had time to try it outside for an hour yesterday (and I have months of built up tension and pain so nothing is going to feel good instantly) but that was already the least painful hour I've ever done. It's like I need a shock collar to zap me ever time I try to lift my head. I do it constantly.

There have certainly been other fit and fitness issues, but technique in general appears to have been the big problem. I also tend to ride in the closest to a full aero position as I can get - with elbows bent 90+ degrees vs staying more upright-ish with only a small bend at the elbow, which makes the strain on the neck even worse. Hopefully I can finally start to actually ride the fucking bike now.

Having an actual coach or knowledgeable friend to ride with me for an hour probably would have solved this a long time ago. :foreveralone:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Looking up with your eyes like that the whole time sounds like it would give a gnarly headache.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:37 pm Looking up with your eyes like that the whole time sounds like it would give a gnarly headache.
Yeah it is awkward... I sit more upright than a racey road biker as I can't really :doit: , I will get sort of aero on downhill parts, but mostly I'm around 45 degrees with the road. I stay comfy on rides by changing positions a ton though, I'll go aero on the drops, upright on the tops when climbing, aero on the hoods, more in between on the hoods, etc. I'm pretty much constantly repositioning to not get sore/uncomfortable.

@ :mahtroy: glad to hear you're getting there! Sounds like a big step today!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

https://konaworld.com/rove_ltd.cfm

This looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Nice spec, with GRX 2x11 and hydro disc. Thru axles, rack mounts galore, geo nearly identical to my bike but a hair slacker head angle and a bit more fork offset. Would be a killer ride, more stable less twitchy than my bike. Still chromoly bulletproof frame but a crabon fork for that weight savings :datass:

Do it coogles.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:31 am https://konaworld.com/rove_ltd.cfm

This looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Nice spec, with GRX 2x11 and hydro disc. Thru axles, rack mounts galore, geo nearly identical to my bike but a hair slacker head angle and a bit more fork offset. Would be a killer ride, more stable less twitchy than my bike. Still chromoly bulletproof frame but a crabon fork for that weight savings :datass:

Do it coogles.
Me likey, but $2,400 is some scratch :bruh:.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:34 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:31 am https://konaworld.com/rove_ltd.cfm

Do it coogles.
Not wrong, but this seems to be a better deal, to me, than the Interstellar Pony.
troyguitar

Castelli men's small is pretty much a perfect fit (so no one else on DFD should buy their stuff) and was good for 50F with wind and scattered showers. The jury is still out on the Fizik winter shoes, my feet were both sweaty and cold but not frozen like with regular shoes. Dunno what I'm going to do when it's actually cold out. 6 months of riding in the basement would suck.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:04 pm Castelli men's small is pretty much a perfect fit (so no one else on DFD should buy their stuff) and was good for 50F with wind and scattered showers. The jury is still out on the Fizik winter shoes, my feet were both sweaty and cold but not frozen like with regular shoes. Dunno what I'm going to do when it's actually cold out. 6 months of riding in the basement would suck.
Nice looking jersey! :datass:

Yeah shoes... I haven't figured it out totally either. What socks are you wearing with them? Wool socks will provide warmth and help your feet breathe a bit more. I just use full on work boot spec woolies if its real chilly.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:43 pm The Kona Rove is a great series.

If you’re gonna buy one, get it from the fine gents at Hush Money Bikes in Lancaster, PA.
Love it, but it would be a total waste on me. I will never have the opportunity to use a bike like that on a gravel surface or on singletrack. I need my quiver-killer MTB, a dad bike for pulling a kiddo trailer around the neighborhood, and probably a roadie assuming I get into the Peloton over the winter. Something like a Trek FX would be perfect for me. It's what the wife has, actually, and she loves it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:54 am
coogles wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:34 am

Not wrong, but this seems to be a better deal, to me, than the Interstellar Pony.
Random question man, that light you gave me a while back, where did you stash that battery while riding with that thing?
troyguitar

I just wear regular wally world socks, the few times I've tried "good" socks didn't seem to change much but I've admittedly not tried it much. This isn't a new thing for me, my feet get sweaty and cold even sitting around the house. I guess this winter I'll see about finding some better shit. I know I should do it but it's hard to be OK with spending hundreds of dollars on a wardrobe's worth of socks. Clothes are so fucking expensive when they don't suck.

That Castelli jacket/jersey is fucking awesome but it was $200 and I am trying to ride ~5 days a week so I really need more than just 1 of everything. :troywax:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Random question man, that light you gave me a while back, where did you stash that battery while riding with that thing?
:knot:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Light on helmet, battery in jersey pocket on my back. You might be able to rig up a frame holder with some Velcro and a strip of rubber.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:08 pm I just wear regular wally world socks, the few times I've tried "good" socks didn't seem to change much but I've admittedly not tried it much. This isn't a new thing for me, my feet get sweaty and cold even sitting around the house. I guess this winter I'll see about finding some better shit. I know I should do it but it's hard to be OK with spending hundreds of dollars on a wardrobe's worth of socks. Clothes are so fucking expensive when they don't suck.

That Castelli jacket/jersey is fucking awesome but it was $200 and I am trying to ride ~5 days a week so I really need more than just 1 of everything. :troywax:
Yeah it takes a while to build up an inventory of bike stuff. Keep an eye out for sales, competitive cyclist has good stuff on sale at end of seasons.

But for cold, wool usually works great. DeFeet woolinators are pretty good. But honestly I like my $5 wool work boot socks.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:35 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:08 pm I just wear regular wally world socks, the few times I've tried "good" socks didn't seem to change much but I've admittedly not tried it much. This isn't a new thing for me, my feet get sweaty and cold even sitting around the house. I guess this winter I'll see about finding some better shit. I know I should do it but it's hard to be OK with spending hundreds of dollars on a wardrobe's worth of socks. Clothes are so fucking expensive when they don't suck.

Yeah it takes a while to build up an inventory of bike stuff. Keep an eye out for sales, competitive cyclist has good stuff on sale at end of seasons.

But for cold, wool usually works great. DeFeet woolinators are pretty good. But honestly I like my $5 wool work boot socks.
:dat: My warm, thick socks that are really for boots/hiking were not expensive and are really working well on cooler rides.

I am finding cool riding to be a bit challenging, I guess being miserable for the first 15 minutes is just a :dealwithit: sort of thing.

I am doing a long group ride on Saturday, it will be sub 40F to start and mid sixties by the end... :notsure: what to do with that :ohwell:

I will probably just freeze my ass off the first hour.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Sierra trading post always has tons of close out deals. As does Chain Reaction with a ton of off season Endura clothing.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:35 pm Yeah it takes a while to build up an inventory of bike stuff. Keep an eye out for sales, competitive cyclist has good stuff on sale at end of seasons.

:dat: My warm, thick socks that are really for boots/hiking were not expensive and are really working well on cooler rides.

I am finding cool riding to be a bit challenging, I guess being miserable for the first 15 minutes is just a :dealwithit: sort of thing.

I am doing a long group ride on Saturday, it will be sub 40F to start and mid sixties by the end... :notsure: what to do with that :ohwell:

The windproof aspect of the goretex castelli jacket is really :mindblown: to be honest. Everything else I've tried is somewhat helpful, but keeping the wind off my core made a huge difference. You could probably get a similar benefit from just wearing a windbreaker and then throwing it in your bag/pocket when it warms up.

Who's doing group rides in 2020? They were all canceled up here.
troyguitar

How does that work logistically? Sounds like you drove and dropped bags at the aid stations first, then rode all day, then drove back to pick everything up?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Longest Dem bicicletas dos, doe. post ever.
:fuckyeah:

Looks like an unreal event, and I'm sure very cool to see some concrete numbers to back up how much of a return you're seeing from the training you're doing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:46 am
Longest Dem bicicletas dos, doe. post ever.
:fuckyeah:

Looks like an unreal event, and I'm sure very cool to see some concrete numbers to back up how much of a return you're seeing from the training you're doing.
:dat:

:fuckyeah: Love the pics.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:16 pm
D Griff wrote:

The windproof aspect of the goretex castelli jacket is really :mindblown: to be honest. Everything else I've tried is somewhat helpful, but keeping the wind off my core made a huge difference. You could probably get a similar benefit from just wearing a windbreaker and then throwing it in your bag/pocket when it warms up.

Who's doing group rides in 2020? They were all canceled up here.
:waxer: :nope: Those jackets are like $200-300 :disgust: :nope:

There are about five group rides/week here to choose from on meetup.com alone.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Dat scenery :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:42 pm Dat scenery :megusta:
:dat:

Looks incredible!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.