Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:05 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:20 am FWIW the only guy I know doing crits right now is getting his ass kicked in the 250W range. The cat5 leaders are averaging 28 mph... So you need to be faster than fucking hell to hang in the "beginner" class. I'd be hopelessly left behind in 30 seconds.
Only way to get stronger is to get blown out the back until you don't.

Practice crits are great for this. Get blown up, sit up, wait for them to come around again and jump in again until you blow up again. Rinse and repeat. Eventually you'll get better at a few things:

1) Reading the pack
2) Maintaining a steady cadence
3) Power
4) Sprinting
5) Cornering
Unfortunately I don’t know of any practice crits, but I’ll certainly look. I do have a really nice training loop close to me that I’ll be putting to good use once this 5 week program is over.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:12 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Only way to get stronger is to get blown out the back until you don't.

Practice crits are great for this. Get blown up, sit up, wait for them to come around again and jump in again until you blow up again. Rinse and repeat. Eventually you'll get better at a few things:

1) Reading the pack
2) Maintaining a steady cadence
3) Power
4) Sprinting
5) Cornering
I mean, sure, but at 28 mph I can't do anything besides sprint for 30 seconds... You need to have a base level of speed at least in the ballpark before there's any point in riding with faster people.

Like me riding with you would be a waste of both of our time. You'd be at 60 bpm bored while I'm 180 bpm dying, neither of us gaining anything.
Maybe move to somewhere with hills, maybe New York, and get stronger? :iono:

:trollface:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:16 pm Rode some expensive bikes today. That was a mistake.
Road? Mountain? Do tell.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I've heard that the sram electronic shifting is better than shimano too, but never tried either one and am hoping to remain in blissful ignorance for awhile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

That green is :tits:

I felt the same way about the CAAD13 - the 56 felt way bigger than I remembered the 56cm CAAD10 feeling. The 20mm setback seatpost also definitely had something to do with that, but the top tube felt higher too. Had I gone with a CAAD13 or SuperSix Evo it definitely would’ve been a 54.
Apex

It’s always a terrible idea to ride Jays personal bikes. I’ve thrown my leg over his personal Pivot’s and oh my god are they amazing.

I gotta get some miles on my current GX drivetrain so I can “justify” the jump to AXS.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Congrats on the new Orbea.
Just do it.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I rode Clayton today which has some fairly gnarly rooty trails.

Slowly but surely. Still terrified. Still painful. Still out of shape and hate life.

Baby steps.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
fledonfoot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:42 pm Congrats on the new Orbea.
Just do it.
I won’t. Image

I need to try a 57 first. I also want to try an Emonda and Scott Addict too.

Emondas are pretty much back ordered until November with a couple single exceptions. It’s nuts.

But $5k is a lot of coin going into a questionable fall. I don’t want to stretchpay it either.

I had the bottom bracket in the CAAD redone tonight again, trying to stretch it as far as I can.
JB Weld it, bro
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:42 pm JB Weld it, bro
:notbad:
I'm not entirely joking, there must be a way to get that pressed fit shit to work quietly... Maybe you need to ask a machine shop instead of a bike shop?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Who needs gels when you have a huge stock of :baby: pouches in the pantry? :pfft:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:30 pm I'm not entirely joking, there must be a way to get that pressed fit shit to work quietly... Maybe you need to ask a machine shop instead of a bike shop?
Put the BB through the gauntlet today, with only one small tick at the 40 mile mark.

We’ll see how it holds up, but man we used a shit ton of grease and snugged everything up tight. If it makes noise at this point, it’s terminal.

Here’s today’s bottom bracket gauntlet ride.

It’s such a great route. Lots of epic climbs, one impossibly tough one that hits 18-19% gradient, and I think the descents were even better than the climbs. Fuck were they fun. Hit 57 MPH on the last downhill rip of the day, even. :stig:
I mean that's faster than I have ever gone, even on a 10 mile ride on flat paved roads... So I guess you win some kind prize for being inhuman?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:58 pm
coogles wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:48 pm Who needs gels when you have a huge stock of :baby: pouches in the pantry? :pfft:
:lol:

My wife eats some fruit mush packets, I guess if it works, it works.
Shit’s puréed already so it hits the bloodstream quickly, and goes down easy. To be fair, I haven’t tried gels, but they seem to do the jerb.

I just finished the last week 3 ride and I definitely feel like I’m going to see some marked improvement in that FTP result in two weeks. It was a 1hr endurance ride, but during those Z3 efforts I found it way too natural to bump up even to the middle of what my Z4 is supposed to be, even at the end of the hour. Definitely think I could’ve set a PR today without much trouble.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:59 pmI did a live 60 minute endurance class on Saturday morning as a recovery ride - stuck to Z2/Z3 and kept it under 300 watts up until the last 5 minutes when I pushed it to 350 for a little bit.

Class still had me sweating pretty good despite the low power levels. I’ve found that sustaining a set power level, even if lower, for extended periods of time will allow you to increase power.

Keep it up dude.
Nice. The Z2/Z3 classes definitely turned me into a sweaty mess during the first week, but yesterday I was hardly sweating at all despite setting a PR for a 60 minute ride. Tomorrow the real fun begins with a Z5/Z6/Z7 power zone max ride. Should be a good time. 😈
Last edited by coogles on Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apex

It’s amazing what training with a program can do.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:00 am It’s amazing what training with a program can do.
:mindblown:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:23 am
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:00 am It’s amazing what training with a program can do.
Poppycock.
:lolgasm:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:38 pm I shouldn't have started going down the rabbithole of thinking about a new road bike.
It’s only money, and you can’t take it with you.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:I shouldn't have started going down the rabbithole of thinking about a new road bike.
Built, not bought, bro.

I just looked up the equivalent Langma to mine and apparently it's $4950+tax now plus sold out in my size with worse paint. Mine has about $2400 in it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:38 pm I shouldn't have started going down the rabbithole of thinking about a new road bike.
:popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am hoping to get out for a ride tomorrow morning, I've missed my bikes. I am excited to get on the MTB again at some point as well, it's been too long.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:53 pm I am hoping to get out for a ride tomorrow morning, I've missed my bikes. I am excited to get on the MTB again at some point as well, it's been too long.
He’s back!
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:49 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Yeah, but this fall's looking questionable.
#YOLO
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Yeah, but this fall's looking questionable.
Eh, in my experience I just keep going slower every time I improve my bike, so you're better off doing nothing.

I was faster for less effort 2 weeks ago in the wind and rain on the Domane than today going nearly all out on the :fancy: aero carbon beast.

I was faster on the motobecane than on anything since.
troyguitar

Wow, I just looked it up and I was even faster for less effort in January on a ~50% longer ride with the studded tires and some hills than I am now with GP5000TL's and no hills... :doomed: