Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:35 pm ...aaaaand I have officially gone :fullretard: to build a superbike on a 105 budget. I just scored a decent deal on some carbon :ramz:

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/collectio ... 2762085421

Got those coming for $700, so this "cheap" bike is now going to end up around $2400 all-in. Oddly, it seems like the last component I might receive is a fucking 11-speed chain. :ohwell:

SuperX sold for $2800 plus I still need to sell off the carbon :ramz: I had for it (they're too wide to fit the Langma) so around $3500 in :plac: profit total on the old bike. The Langma plus the Domane will probably end up costing the same in total, 2 for 1 is a :notbad: trade IMO.

The stupid thing in all of this is that, in buying deals as I found them, I will actually end up with a bunch of parts to resell. I have 2 rear derailleurs, 2 cassettes, 2 wheelsets, 2 pair of rotors, and 3 cranksets either here or on the way. Time to start a bike shop.
Hmmm, I haven't yet taken the time to figure out what will fit/work on my old bike, but I may be interested in some parts, let me know what you end up with leftover at the end.

:excited: to see your build!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Derp. Wheelbro just refunded me. Apparently someone else paid him 2 minutes earlier. :ohwell:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:16 pm Derp. Wheelbro just refunded me. Apparently someone else paid him 2 minutes earlier. :ohwell:
Damn.

What are the Cabron wheels you have from the SuperX?
HG22's with XDR hub. 25mm internal, 32mm tarz fit perfectly. 15xx grams for the set.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:04 am HG22's with XDR hub. 25mm internal, 32mm tarz fit perfectly. 15xx grams for the set.
Assuming they were dished to the SuperX AI offset (6mm to the right)?

Not necessarily interested in the wheels, as they're TA and XDR hub, but important to note if/when selling.
Yeah, limited market with the Ai offset. I'm told it can be re-dished without changing spokes but that's beyond my skill level.

I went for a compromise and am trying out the middle tier of those ICAN carbon :ramz:

https://icanwheels.com/products/fl40-55-disc-wheels
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:31 am Yeah, limited market with the Ai offset. I'm told it can be re-dished without changing spokes but that's beyond my skill level.

I went for a compromise and am trying out the middle tier of those ICAN carbon :ramz:

https://icanwheels.com/products/fl40-55-disc-wheels
I wonder if the graphics can be stripped off. :notbad:
I think they're stickers. I'll probably get some :fullretard: graphics if I like them. At this point I think I have everything I need ordered. Dunno when it will all show up :doe:

:waiting:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 am
[user not found] wrote:
I wonder if the graphics can be stripped off. :notbad:
I think they're stickers. I'll probably get some :fullretard: graphics if I like them. At this point I think I have everything I need ordered. Dunno when it will all show up :doe:

:waiting:
:popcorn:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Random training post, but this thread is quiet. I'm through week 1 of the "Build Your Power Zones" program on the Peloton and quite :excited: to retest at the end of 5 weeks. The Couch to Crit series on the Norcal Cycling channel is really what made me want to do the program. It was probably unintentional, but they gave the viewer a bit of a peek into the TrainerRoad approach, and it's super similar to how the BYPZ program is structured. Mostly low intensity Zone 2 & 3 rides early, then it ramps up gradually to a peak just before the race or, in this case, the FTP test. I've just been doing my own shit up until this point, so we'll see. I'm hoping I'll see a decent bump from my current 209W.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:impressive:
troyguitar

You people are not human.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:58 pm Interesting to see the parallels between the Peloton BYPZ classes and the TrainerRoad structure. Eager to see what your results are.

Also, I've been busy, update post coming in a sec...
Me too. I bumped up my zones a smidge right before starting the program, so with yesterday's small increase in intensity I'm already feeling it a bit. I'd been doing almost exclusively shorter high intensity rides, so this is definitely a change for me and should produce some adaptations for sure.

Also, that was a ridiculous week of riding dude. Very cool :like:
troyguitar

I can now confirm that ~90 minutes a week is not enough riding to maintain fitness, I'm continuing to get slower almost every week. Today a nearly full-gas 175 bpm effort was a whopping 16.4 mph on flat paved roads. :gag:

Also it took 2 full water bottles to do a 65 minute ride.

Maybe by the fall I can get back to where I was 3 months ago? (17-18 mph on the flats) Image
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found], that is a crazy weekend of riding, :impressive:

25k of climbing in four days :mindblown:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:24 pm I can now confirm that ~90 minutes a week is not enough riding to maintain fitness, I'm continuing to get slower almost every week. Today a nearly full-gas 175 bpm effort was a whopping 16.4 mph on flat paved roads. :gag:

Also it took 2 full water bottles to do a 65 minute ride.

Maybe by the fall I can get back to where I was 3 months ago? (17-18 mph on the flats) Image
It takes a lot… I ride like 6+ hours/week and am certainly not getting better.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:09 am It takes a lot… I ride like 6+ hours/week and am certainly not getting better.
Dang. The Build Your Power Zones program is only 2.5 hours per week.

I'm going to try to squeeze in an actual outdoor ride this week too, I'm especially excited to see how the 28s feel at ~80psi, but yeah I'll still be a long way off from 6 hours/week.
troyguitar

I didn't expect to get better but I'm :disappoint: to keep getting worse. Apparently my body likes being weak and :fatty:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:42 am I didn't expect to get better but I'm :disappoint: to keep getting worse. Apparently my body likes being weak and :fatty:
I’m slow now
Not riding does that
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:42 am I didn't expect to get better but I'm :disappoint: to keep getting worse. Apparently my body likes being weak and :fatty:
I’m slow now
Not riding does that
Yep. Apparently 90 minutes is as good as zero, but 150 is enough to get faster. :ohwell:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:40 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I’m slow now
Not riding does that
Yep. Apparently 90 minutes is as good as zero, but 150 is enough to get faster. :ohwell:
Depends on current level of fitness. I was getting faster doing 60 to maybe 80 minutes per week, but I was also starting from zero. To keep that going the strategy, intensity, and/or volume need to change.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:40 pm Yep. Apparently 90 minutes is as good as zero, but 150 is enough to get faster. :ohwell:
Depends on current level of fitness. I was getting faster doing 60 to maybe 80 minutes per week, but I was also starting from zero. To keep that going the strategy, intensity, and/or volume need to change.
:word:

But I'm slower than you so I would expect to be able to at least maintain my slowness with a similar effort level... apparently it takes more work for me than you (or anyone else here?) to achieve a given fitness level.

I still remember last year when that dude here bought a new badass purple emonda and was averaging 20 mph off the bat with zero training. Fuck that guy. I did 15.6 today busting my ass.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:02 pm :word:

But I'm slower than you so I would expect to be able to at least maintain my slowness with a similar effort level... apparently it takes more work for me than you (or anyone else here?) to achieve a given fitness level.

I still remember last year when that dude here bought a new badass purple emonda and was averaging 20 mph off the bat with zero training. Fuck that guy. I did 15.6 today busting my ass.
It looks like you're riding in a fairly urban place. Aren't you having to stop or at least slow down for traffic & crossings and such?
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:02 pm :word:

It looks like you're riding in a fairly urban place. Aren't you having to stop or at least slow down for traffic & crossings and such?
Sure, but in theory strava is only counting time while moving - plus everything is paved and there are no hills.

I'm doing about the same speeds as 60 year olds on mountain bikes around here, somehow I just absolutely suck and I can't figure it out. Heart rates and the fact that I am absolutely exhausted indicate that I am trying as hard as I can, plus I'm on GP5000TL with a fairly aero position so the equipment certainly isn't slowing me down. Guess I'm just weak as fuck.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:31 pm
coogles wrote:
Sure, but in theory strava is only counting time while moving - plus everything is paved and there are no hills.

I'm doing about the same speeds as 60 year olds on mountain bikes around here, somehow I just absolutely suck and I can't figure it out. Heart rates and the fact that I am absolutely exhausted indicate that I am trying as hard as I can, plus I'm on GP5000TL with a fairly aero position so the equipment certainly isn't slowing me down. Guess I'm just weak as fuck.
Big variances in output are way less efficient that sustaining a constant output over time. It's easier to maintain 150W consistently than it is to spike to 200W to get back up to speed and then pull back to 100W due to traffic or whatever, while in the end still averaging the exact same 150W. That's even more true if you're on the brakes and then having to accelerate from a dead stop. Unless you can get out to a rural place and do consecutive miles without stopping I don't think you can really know how fast or slow you actually are.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:31 pm Sure, but in theory strava is only counting time while moving - plus everything is paved and there are no hills.

Big variances in output are way less efficient that sustaining a constant output over time. It's easier to maintain 150W consistently than it is to spike to 200W to get back up to speed and then pull back to 100W due to traffic or whatever, while in the end still averaging the exact same 150W. That's even more true if you're on the brakes and then having to accelerate from a dead stop. Unless you can get out to a rural place and do consecutive miles without stopping I don't think you can really know how fast or slow you actually are.
That's definitely part of it, but I'm serious in that on the group rides here I have to ride with the old people on hybrids and MTBs to keep up. The actual road bikers will drop me in 10 minutes.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:46 pm That's definitely part of it, but I'm serious in that on the group rides here I have to ride with the old people on hybrids and MTBs to keep up. The actual road bikers will drop me in 10 minutes.
Fair, and I'm sure that's frustrating, I just don't think you should add to that frustration by comparing yourself to people on the internet who are likely riding in very different conditions than you are. Hope you find that :stig: ness within. You were a strong runner at one point if I remember correctly, so you should have or be able to regain the cardio base, but cycling takes more muscle mass. If you're up to it I think some strength training for your lower body could really help out.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:Troy, have you tried a training program at this point?

Weight training would build power, but your other issue seems to lie in a lack of volume - without putting in some hours on the bike, you won’t build the muscle specificity and cardio base for riding.

Once you work up to a C pace (15 mph average-ish) you can jump into some group rides and start working your way up.

I’ve been riding for years, so I’m able to regain fitness quickly with the right intensity and volume. I’m also notorious for just going out and pushing myself a bit beyond my limit because I know it’ll benefit me in the end. Whether it’s stupid elevation, training rides, hard races, whatever - it’s all with one goal in mind: getting faster.
Not with any kind of seriousness. This isn't my main priority in life and I'm already putting too much energy into it, to the point where it is detracting from everything else. 2 hours at 15 mph today absolutely killed me. Dead tired, I sat on the couch for the whole rest of the day and accomplished absolutely nothing.

How the fuck do you people exercise and then have energy left to do anything else?