Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:So, we didn’t finish Skyline drive today.

Got reacquainted with the beginning stages of hypothermia, doe.
Sad!

It was chilly here today, too. We only hit about 80. I'm thinking about finishing my wine inside because it's down to like 73 on the deck now. :fancy:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:21 pm So, we didn’t finish Skyline drive today.

Got reacquainted with the beginning stages of hypothermia, doe.
That sounds less than fun.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:58 am Whoah, a road bike in my size, in stock.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Look-185-Huez ... ike-2021-4 :notbad:
This seems very similar to my Ribble in basically every way. :notbad:

A bit pricey for the spec perhaps, but it’s available so could be worth it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Skyline Drive was still quite an epic and beautiful ride and an adventure to remember :lolol:

I hope to come back and re-attempt conquering it one day (in July or August). Our mistake was looking at weather in the surrounding towns and thinking “some rain at 60F should be fine.” Well pouring rain sub 40F on 40+ MPH descents is not doable.

:disappoint: and yet overall still a :fuckyeah: day.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Pretty :neat: story and awesome that you guys got to :meat: and ride.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:37 am

Yeah, this and your Ribble are pretty identical in spec. Ribble is direct-to-consumer only, right? This one costs more for the same spec, but it’s the same price as the Emonda with the same groupset. So :iono: I’d have to sell the mtb to do it, and I’d rather not. :tits: is okay spending $1k or less for something used, which is what I should do, especially considering my opportunities for group rides are nil. Will keep looking.

Looks like an epic trip fellas, would love to do something like that. Cool that you got to do it!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Pretty meh from an average perspective with the long warmup and the long recoveries, but a good ride nonetheless. 7 efforts at the top of zone 6 starting with 30 seconds and increasing every interval to 90, although I stayed in zone 7 for the entire last 90 second effort with a short sprint at the end. I managed to maintain 310-330 for that entire 90 seconds, which felt pretty damn good. Definitely getting stronger. Image
troyguitar

coogles wrote:Whoah, a road bike in my size, in stock.

Here's a fucking badass 56cm Allez for $2700... dura-ace, carbon, etc.

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:40 am Skyline Drive was still quite an epic and beautiful ride and an adventure to remember :lolol:

I hope to come back and re-attempt conquering it one day (in July or August). Our mistake was looking at weather in the surrounding towns and thinking “some rain at 60F should be fine.” Well pouring rain sub 40F on 40+ MPH descents is not doable.

:disappoint: and yet overall still a :fuckyeah: day.
I biked down a 40 MPH descent in a hail storm with shorts, jersey, vest, and arm warmers only. It was about 35-40 F.

Wouldn’t recommend doing that.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:09 pmHere's a fucking badass 56cm Allez for $2700... dura-ace, carbon, etc.

Is cool, but also quite a bit more than I want to spend. I’ll be keeping an eye on this one, but I’d guess the bidding will get silly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164852000783

There’s also this, which is within a mile or two of me.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik ... 87310.html
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:49 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:31 pm

I biked down a 40 MPH descent in a hail storm with shorts, jersey, vest, and arm warmers only. It was about 35-40 F.

Wouldn’t recommend doing that.
Yeah, we weren’t far off of that.

40 MPH in 37 degree weather in pouring rain. I was wearing exactly that.

It was a bad time, fam.
Yeah I was shivering so hard my bike was wobbling. And I couldn’t shift with my right hand, didn’t have the power to push the levers.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:09 pm
coogles wrote:Whoah, a road bike in my size, in stock.

Here's a fucking badass 56cm Allez for $2700... dura-ace, carbon, etc.

Sweet. A friend of mine went from a carbon fiber Wilier to one of these allez sprints and he loved it.

The wilier was a turd. Top tube split open while riding. They gave him hell on warranty claims, took literally 3 months to get a replacement frame. Then the replacement frame both seat stays snapped on a ride where a stick got kicked up in his wheel. Not a big stick. It was surprising.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

did 8mi in my crap single speed with lovely lady today and it was awesome.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:19 am

Yeah, this and your Ribble are pretty identical in spec. Ribble is direct-to-consumer only, right? This one costs more for the same spec, but it’s the same price as the Emonda with the same groupset. So :iono: I’d have to sell the mtb to do it, and I’d rather not. :tits: is okay spending $1k or less for something used, which is what I should do, especially considering my opportunities for group rides are nil. Will keep looking.

Looks like an epic trip fellas, would love to do something like that. Cool that you got to do it!
:word:

That CAAD 9 you linked looks solid but it seems a bit pricey for a 12ish year old bike... but I guess that's just the world we live in :disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That CAAD 9 you linked looks solid but it seems a bit pricey for a 12ish year old bike... but I guess that's just the world we live in :disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:19 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:49 pm

Yeah, we weren’t far off of that.

40 MPH in 37 degree weather in pouring rain. I was wearing exactly that.

It was a bad time, fam.
Yeah I was shivering so hard my bike was wobbling. And I couldn’t shift with my right hand, didn’t have the power to push the levers.
:dat: was the situation... riding 50-60 more miles in those conditions seemed to attempt.

My buddy and I did go to DC for the remainder of the weekend and got in about 65 slow, fun miles checking out the city, so that was :nice: Overall a solid weekend of cycling despite the defeat.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:05 am

More than a bit. It took forever to sell my (nicer IMO) CAAD10 back in 2017 or 18 or whenever and I only got $600 for it IIRC. :disappoint: indeed
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

@Zack or anyone else - care to be my Peloton class programmer for a second?

I'm through the first week of the "Discover Your Power Zones" program and I'm looking ahead to the next 4 weeks, but the way the classes are scheduled seems very...odd. Almost every single one is an "endurance" ride with almost exclusively Zone 3 efforts in various lengths with recoveries in between. A couple of the classes have a few Zone 4 and 5 intervals, but not a single one for the next 4 weeks has even a Zone 6, let alone any all-out efforts. I haven't read into the philosophy around power zone training much yet (I plan to), but it's counterintuitive to me to never have any :balls: out efforts for that long of a training period.

These classes are 30 or 45 minutes...it seems to me that if your Zone 4 is something you can hold for an hour, unless you're doing some Zone 5 or higher efforts you should be able to do a 30 minute ride at least at Zone 4 without ever going lower than that...so why in the world would I spend an entire ride that short doing Z3 intervals with recoveries in Z2? Seems an epic waste of time unless it's truly an active recovery day.

I found this YouTube channel (NorCal Cycling - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIfRR1 ... j9X955iWSQ) that has a "Couch to Crit" series, where a former professional cyclist is coaching a relatively untrained cyclist how to get ready for race season. He's using TrainerRoad for the programming aspect and while I don't have the equipment to take advantage of that program, I'm hoping I can glean some programming tidbits from the videos in the series to maybe help me pick my Peloton classes and mimic the approach.
troyguitar

We hit the rail trail to the pier and then back to the pub by here on Saturday for the wife's inaugural ride on her road bike. She needs a lot of help with basic starting and stopping, standing, sitting, shifting, etc. I lowered her seat so she can at least tip toe on the ground while seated, but she's still dangerously awkward and blew halfway through an intersection because she was trying to use her toes to stop instead of the brakes...

That stuff all comes naturally to me because I lived on a bike from age ~5 to 15. How else does one learn it?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 pm We hit the rail trail to the pier and then back to the pub by here on Saturday for the wife's inaugural ride on her road bike. She needs a lot of help with basic starting and stopping, standing, sitting, shifting, etc. I lowered her seat so she can at least tip toe on the ground while seated, but she's still dangerously awkward and blew halfway through an intersection because she was trying to use her toes to stop instead of the brakes...

That stuff all comes naturally to me because I lived on a bike from age ~5 to 15. How else does one learn it?
The bicycle was the ticket to freedom for a kid growing up in Wichita in the 70s. My daughter could care less about the bicicletas and is equally unenthused about cars. :wtf:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:02 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 pm We hit the rail trail to the pier and then back to the pub by here on Saturday for the wife's inaugural ride on her road bike. She needs a lot of help with basic starting and stopping, standing, sitting, shifting, etc. I lowered her seat so she can at least tip toe on the ground while seated, but she's still dangerously awkward and blew halfway through an intersection because she was trying to use her toes to stop instead of the brakes...

The bicycle was the ticket to freedom for a kid growing up in Wichita in the 70s. My daughter could care less about the bicicletas and is equally unenthused about cars. :wtf:
Same here re the bolded and :( for the rest of this.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:06 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:02 pm

Well, she can paint and play the violin, and her old man has zero of those kinds of skills so different strokes I guess.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:22 pm
wap wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:06 pm
Well, she can paint and play the violin, and her old man has zero of those kinds of skills so different strokes I guess.
:notwrong: , just a whole different world these days. :wap:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:28 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:22 pm

Yeah Schwinn Stingray as ultimate exploration tool for 8 year olds has gone the way of the dodo bird.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 pm
wap wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:28 pm

Yeah Schwinn Stingray as ultimate exploration tool for 8 year olds has gone the way of the dodo bird.
:fuckyeah: I had a Stingray too. Red, with black banana seat and angel bar handle bars. :wub:

You have one?