Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I guess something like a Trek Checkpoint would work.

Nice rides [user not found]. How was monkey knife fight?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:19 pm Cannondale Synapse has some low powered integrated light and battery system built into the frame now.

:disgust:

I guess if I get a road bike it will probably be a Trek or something. I hear good things about BMC Roadmachine but there are no dealers anywhere near me.

Then again does it even matter? I’m not worlds slower on the gravel bike with knobbies.
I hear you on the 35 miles... I did about that just on the road last week after 75ish days off the bike, I certainly hit a wall on the way back into a headwind. No ragrets :doe: Hoping to ride the MTB this weekend.

I think the Synapse setup is :neat: but haven't looked at it that much. I thought it integrated with Garmin lights, they have the rear light with a sensor that will notify your watch/head unit of when cars are behind you. :iono: that seems pretty valuable to me, a literal lifesaver.

You're :notwrong: about the speed on the bike, I am almost as quick on my 1984 Raleigh with it's sweet, sweet 8 speed Claris 1X setup and 32 GravelKings. It isn't nearly as fun feeling going fast on the road :doe:

I'd still like to buy a bike computer but :notsure: what to get now. I was all set on a Wahoo but I do like my Garmin watch a lot.
Johnny_P

Hm. Checkpoint top tube grew 20mm this last redesign. Likely out.

A lighter steel bike would be the ticket really.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:41 pm Hm. Checkpoint top tube grew 20mm this last redesign. Likely out.

My buddy here has a Fairlight bike from England on order (fancy steel bike with 105 groupset). I'll let you know how it is when he gets it, but seems pretty dang sweet.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:30 am Coogles, gotta get out and start knocking elbows man.

Shit, today was fun.

That last photo as you dropped that group is so awesome.

:jelly:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:41 pm Hm. Checkpoint top tube grew 20mm this last redesign. Likely out.

My buddy here has a Fairlight bike from England on order (fancy steel bike with 105 groupset). I'll let you know how it is when he gets it, but seems pretty dang sweet.
Yeah I found that company last night when I couldn’t sleep. Reynolds 853 steel frames ride a lot zingier than mine does. Paired with a carbon fork that would be so nice. But still not sure it would exactly feel efficient like a road bike. And I’m not unhappy with my gravel bike so unlikely I’d replace it.

Nah just a simple road bike would be the ticket.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:43 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:54 pm

Yeah I found that company last night when I couldn’t sleep. Reynolds 853 steel frames ride a lot zingier than mine does. Paired with a carbon fork that would be so nice. But still not sure it would exactly feel efficient like a road bike. And I’m not unhappy with my gravel bike so unlikely I’d replace it.

I'm really curious to see the thing, it looks amazing. Personally, for the price, I think I'd rather have a carbon road bike, but it is undeniably cool and probably rides like a dream.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:19 pm

I'm really curious to see the thing, it looks amazing. Personally, for the price, I think I'd rather have a carbon road bike, but it is undeniably cool and probably rides like a dream.
I am extremely hard on my “gravel” bike which is basically a mountain bike at this point. Steel is attractive for its durability. It’s also pretty so there’s that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:19 pm

I am extremely hard on my “gravel” bike which is basically a mountain bike at this point. Steel is attractive for its durability. It’s also pretty so there’s that.
You’re :notwrong: , based on my Orbea it’s easy enough to break an aluminum frame :lolol:

I don’t think I told y’all but I ended up selling the new Alma frame they sent me and my Shimano brakes from that bike to my wife’s coworker for $430. I was pretty pleased with that :dill:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:05 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:00 pm

You’re :notwrong: , based on my Orbea it’s easy enough to break an aluminum frame :lolol:

I don’t think I told y’all but I ended up selling the new Alma frame they sent me and my Shimano brakes from that bike to my wife’s coworker for $430. I was pretty pleased with that :dill:
Yeah I’ve snapped aluminum frames before as well. This steel bike though. It’s basically made from Home Depot gas pipe and somewhat indestructible.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:22 pm

Lots of stuff out there.

You could do a custom Blacklist steel framed jawn and spec it exactly how you want.

I'd love to have you jump on the Sacklist and see what you think compared to the Randy Savage.
That would be cool. Your gravel bike is set up differently than mine I think, more for speed and stability? Mine is more party oriented. High BB, steep head tube, and short wheelbase for CX agility makes it a damn riot on singletrack.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The one time I took my Raleigh on single track it was pretty scary. It felt like my upper body was almost in front of the bike and I was on the verge of flying over the bars the entire time :lolol:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:28 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:29 pm

That would be cool. Your gravel bike is set up differently than mine I think, more for speed and stability? Mine is more party oriented. High BB, steep head tube, and short wheelbase for CX agility makes it a damn riot on singletrack.
You’d want a more slacked out HT for singletrack I’d think - too steep and it’ll pitch you over the bars.

I went with a more road-based geo. It’s snappy with the short wheelbase and comfy with the dropped seatstays.
It’s older CX geo, before slack head tubes were much of a thing. I mean, it’s very maneuverable at low speed. Combined with the high BB to clear CX obstacles, it’s a damn riot on the endless log overs of Belmont, where I typically ride.

The Sitgmata is within a hair of this geo as well. That’s honestly the bike I should get to replace this thing.
Johnny_P

I commuted by bike today on the old 26er piece of shit. That bike fucking sucks. Anyways, took 15 mins vs my 30 min subway ride. Not bad!

It’s locked up on Market St in center city Philly. Think it will be there when I’m done work today?

:popcorn:
Johnny_P

Update: bike wash there. Security bro said he kept an eye on it for me 👊

It’s such a turd though
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:10 pm Update: bike wash there. Security bro said he kept an eye on it for me 👊

It’s such a turd though
:notbad:

No one messes with bikes downtown here unless they're left overnight... then you might come out to missing whatever components weren't attached via lock and key.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Bike commuting rules though, no dealing with car :rage: , parking problems, public transit vagrants, as long as the weather is dece, it's bliss.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:44 pm Bike commuting rules though, no dealing with car :rage: , parking problems, public transit vagrants, as long as the weather is dece, it's bliss.
It’s pretty dope really. If I had a better bike I’d like it more. This bike rides like a straight up dump truck.

But yeah 15 minutes door to door and almost entirely on bike lanes. Can’t beat that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:44 pm Bike commuting rules though, no dealing with car :rage: , parking problems, public transit vagrants, as long as the weather is dece, it's bliss.
It’s pretty dope really. If I had a better bike I’d like it more. This bike rides like a straight up dump truck.

But yeah 15 minutes door to door and almost entirely on bike lanes. Can’t beat that.
You should off that thing and get an 80s/90s road bike. Mine is really pretty great for around town work with my rack/pannier setup. 5/7 would recommend and it certainly doesn't look like anything too flashy, particularly when it's dirty, which is often since it's my go-to for when the roads are wet.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:20 pm

You should off that thing and get an 80s/90s road bike. Mine is really pretty great for around town work with my rack/pannier setup. 5/7 would recommend and it certainly doesn't look like anything too flashy, particularly when it's dirty, which is often since it's my go-to for when the roads are wet.
Maybe I’ll look around for something else.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Peloton update:
Did an FTP test yesterday finally, 238. Seemed :notbad:

Nobody mentioned that the bike UI changes to show Power zones after you complete a test. THAT by itself is pretty great feature for me. I have a better understanding of target effort now, not just cadence and resistance. I got to the point where in classes I'd just add 5 points of resistance on top of the max the instructor called out, now I can use the power zone to better gauge my effort level and only half pay attention to what the instructor is calling, which works way better for me.

Maybe I can get outside in a month or two, likely around June. Imma be :plaid: on the bike when I can finally get outside. :excited:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:41 pm Peloton update:
Did an FTP test yesterday finally, 238. Seemed :notbad:

Nobody mentioned that the bike UI changes to show Power zones after you complete a test. THAT by itself is pretty great feature for me. I have a better understanding of target effort now, not just cadence and resistance. I got to the point where in classes I'd just add 5 points of resistance on top of the max the instructor called out, now I can use the power zone to better gauge my effort level and only half pay attention to what the instructor is calling, which works way better for me.

Maybe I can get outside in a month or two, likely around June. Imma be :plaid: on the bike when I can finally get outside. :excited:
:fuckyeah: man! I really have no idea what that FTP means :aintcare: but it’s sounds like you’ve had some great progression which is what counts.

I went out to the US National Whitewater Center after work this evening and hit about 19 miles of single track. Perfect evening for a ride and I love the new MTB.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I’ma like nervous for this fondo I have in the mountains of Tennessee in a few weeks. No cycling for a few months took a toll and I’m pretty beat at like 35 miles. This ride will be 77 with a good amount of climbing. I guess we’ll see :lolol:
Johnny_P

Bike commuting is pretty dope. I'm a belieber. I'd buy a nicer commuter bike if I thought we were staying in bike distance to work.

Basket on the front is great. Can throw literally anything in it. Take out food, a backpack, a jacket, whatever NFG. Rear rack keeps the U lock nice and secure and gives a great jingle jangle every 5 seconds over a pothole. The Maxxis tires I put on it kind of suck, rolling resistance is way too high and the casings are unnecessarily hard but these were among the only folding slicks I could find for some reason so whatever.

But yeah a bike like my Macho Man with just racks and whatnot and a baby seat on the back, that's bliss my friends. Only thing that would make it better would be an e motor.
Johnny_P

Anyone use a long sleeve lightweight jersey or arm covers for summer riding? Thoughts? Kind of thinking about picking up a pair so I avoid skin cancer.