Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:Rode the MTB last night with a friend who has my old Niner - 2nd trail section we hit, he slid the front end out and a stick tore the valve stem. So, had to get him a ride back to my house, I rode back, and we resealed his wheels with fresh sealant and new valve stems.

And then went back out for a casual ride around the block to spin the sealant around.

And today... decided to put in a power hour effort on the Peloton, and set a new PR by about 90 kJ. :fuckyeah:

So I have to ask because I'm dumb. 60 mins at 171 bpm is pretty hard but I could do it despite feeling like death by the end. What do you do tomorrow, another 12 hour ride at 180 bpm?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Z what’s your resting heart rate? 50s? You got one strong ticker.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Ice cream social rides are the best rides :doe:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:24 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:58 pm Z what’s your resting heart rate? 50s? You got one strong ticker.
Somewhere in the high 50s. I don't wear a fitbit or anything, and my RHR taken in the doctor's office isn't accurate due to white coat syndrome.
Yeah my RHR and bp always jump up in there
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:56 pm So I have to ask because I'm dumb. 60 mins at 171 bpm is pretty hard but I could do it despite feeling like death by the end. What do you do tomorrow, another 12 hour ride at 180 bpm?
Tomorrow? 8-9 hours of landscaping work and then a relaxing evening, hopefully. Saturday I might ride, Sunday I'm definitely riding. Probably 70-80 miles, moderate effort. Not 12 hours at 180 BPM - Image

Longest max effort I've ever done was UnPAved - averaged 160 BPM for nearly 8 hours (https://www.strava.com/activities/2786729398) and I had lots of training leading up to that, including another 100 mile gravel "race" a month prior, where I was at 167 BPM for 7 hours (https://www.strava.com/activities/2732149421).

Anyways, that 60 minute workout I did tonight was a high intensity workout - 60 minutes, full gas, no rest. It was a solid 9-10 on the rate of perceived exertion (RPE) scale:

Feeling like death is the goal. It's a max effort, not a casual ice cream social ride. Testing the engine is good - it allows you to get a feel for what your abilities are, and also builds strength and endurance.
9-10 is all I really know how to do. :thisisfine:

I am just fucking slow even when I'm trying super hard.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
It never gets easier, you just get faster.
I know that you like to say that but TBH you're :wrong:

It's already gotten WAY easier for me. It started out insanely painful all of the time. Now I just hurt all day every day. Hopefully at some point I won't want to fucking kick puppies all day every day...

I mean - are you in pain every day from cycling?
troyguitar

Yeah so in a way I'm already trying a lot harder than apparently any of you guys have ever had to try? Fucking bullshit but that seems to be my life.

You try having everything hurt all day every day and get back to me on how much more I should be fucking doing.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Zil, any reason you went with the Peloton over getting a really nice trainer? Just so the Mrs. Zil can get on there too?

Am thinking of doing a bike :plac: and trading in the Trance for an Emonda plus a trainer. Get another MTB once my life isn’t a shit show but get into good cycling shape until then.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:55 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:15 pm Yeah so in a way I'm already trying a lot harder than apparently any of you guys have ever had to try? Fucking bullshit but that seems to be my life.

You try having everything hurt all day every day and get back to me on how much more I should be fucking doing.
It's hard for everyone when they first start out. Learning basic techniques, learning about gear that makes riding more pleasurable, building your cardio base, etc.

When I first started really riding in college with the cycling club, it wasn't easy. I was wearing gym shorts and running shoes. I took a 26" rigid MTB up one of the local trails and back down. Just about rattled myself to death, didn't think I was going to make it up the climb, but I stuck with it and finished the ride. A couple weeks later I bought a more serious MTB via the club sponsorship deal with the LBS, and that was history. Eventually I invested in shoes, shorts, gloves, jerseys, etc. And it was a while before I decided to take my dad's Schwinn (the same one I talk about from time to time) and rebuild it for racing in college.

I think I rode MTB with the club for 2 years before even dipping my toes into the road cycling scene. I thought I was pretty fit from riding MTBs, but I was wrong - my first road ride was all of 16 miles and it felt slow and terrible. Eventually I built up my endurance, went out on group rides, tackled some huge climbs on that heavy steel relic, and my fitness over time increased.

Cycling is not easy, I've never said it was. I just find enjoyment in the suffering, I enjoy pushing myself and finding new limits. I enjoy getting out and seeing the sights as well. While some may be slightly more genetically gifted than others, everyone still has to pay their dues in time and effort to have fitness on the bike.
So how many years before it stops being all pain all day every day and starts being fun? :thisisfine:

Dunno, the whole thing is quite literally still a yuge PITA and y'all seem to be saying "just go ride and have fun" but I can't fucking do that when everything hurts.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I enjoy the suck. It’s not quite like trying to stand up with 400lbs on your back, but it’s a good suffering.
Johnny_P

IMO there is absolutely nothing fun about trainers.

I dunno. I’d go find a desolate road, maybe gravel climb type thing, and go for it and see how far I could get. Maybe try to find a view. I always get a sense of accomplishment when I climb a hill.
Johnny_P

But also. Not every sport is for everyone :iono:

I tried basketball, baseball, soccer, and sucked at every one of them. I was on a basketball team for about 4 years and in that entire time I made one shot. I took to cycling immediately and it’s the only sport that has ever been able to do that with me. Even running.... I don’t enjoy running because my knees are in massive pain.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Troy:

Were you having this many issues when you were riding outside?
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:22 pm Troy:

I never went longer than 20 mins or so without getting off the bike to take a break to rest my ass+neck+shoulders for a few mins, so no but yes. :iono:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:29 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:22 pm Troy:

I never went longer than 20 mins or so without getting off the bike to take a break to rest my ass+neck+shoulders for a few mins, so no but yes. :iono:
The lack of movement of the bike is killer. Can’t move the bike around and can’t move around on the bike on the trainer.

It’s like driving a car on a track in real life, and then on forza. You’ve lost all of the “feel”. It’s the same, but different.

Try and get out of the house with it this weekend. See how it feels.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 pm But also. Not every sport is for everyone :iono:

I tried basketball, baseball, soccer, and sucked at every one of them. I was on a basketball team for about 4 years and in that entire time I made one shot. I took to cycling immediately and it’s the only sport that has ever been able to do that with me. Even running.... I don’t enjoy running because my knees are in massive pain.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

Also agree about a trainer... that is a :nope: from me.

I also suck at all team sports, I have heinous coordination, can't catch, can't throw, can't jump. I was last picked in every game, every day in K-8 school. Always. I took up running and weight lifting in high school as I was a fat loser and wanted to be cool and have girls like me. Oer time I got a lot more addicted to fitness. Lately, I've found cycling really fun. While I've always enjoyed casual bike rides, the quarantine really ignited a new found love for both road and mountain biking for me personally.

I have been able to make pretty good "gains" on the bike (especially considering I'm riding a 36 year old bike) comparatively but I attribute that to lifting and running pretty much every day since 2005. I also enjoy the "pain" of working out, it makes me feel good and I love the sense of accomplishment.
troyguitar

60 minutes is still hell on my ass but I'm starting to feel some improvements in the other areas. Bumping the HR up from ~130 to ~140 for an hour ride kicked power up from ~90 to ~120 watts and speed from 14 to 16 mph, all without really feeling any harder to me. The only thing preventing me from keeping that pace up for a longer time is the pain from pressure on my ass+wrists, not muscle burn in my legs. You guys don't seem to be talking about the same kind of pain that I am...

I feel like I could sustain 150 bpm almost indefinitely, but my ass+wrists are fucking killing me from the pressure by the time I've done 50-60 minutes.

My neck/shoulders are starting to get a lot better though from a combination of stretches, practice, relaxing, and chemical muscle relaxers (read: alcohol). At this point I have no more plans to make any physical changes to the bike/bars/whatever, my super high rise 100mm stem and drop bar combo seems to be the best setup I can get for now. :whocares:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:12 pm 60 minutes is still hell on my ass but I'm starting to feel some improvements in the other areas. Bumping the HR up from ~130 to ~140 for an hour ride kicked power up from ~90 to ~120 watts and speed from 14 to 16 mph, all without really feeling any harder to me. The only thing preventing me from keeping that pace up for a longer time is the pain from pressure on my ass+wrists, not muscle burn in my legs. You guys don't seem to be talking about the same kind of pain that I am...

I feel like I could sustain 150 bpm almost indefinitely, but my ass+wrists are fucking killing me from the pressure by the time I've done 50-60 minutes.

My neck/shoulders are starting to get a lot better though from a combination of stretches, practice, relaxing, and chemical muscle relaxers (read: alcohol). At this point I have no more plans to make any physical changes to the bike/bars/whatever, my super high rise 100mm stem and drop bar combo seems to be the best setup I can get for now. :whocares:
:iono: my ass hurt a lot when I started mountain biking. The diapers helped me a lot for sure, but I also think I just got more used to it with time.

I decided to try a new saddle on the road bike as my Schwinn one is like two pounds, dropping down to like 270g. We shall see if my ass now kills.
troyguitar

What seat did you buy?

I've still been making changes to the bars and everything basically every day. Today is the first day that I have no plans to make any changes to the bike. I did order a couple more random diapers to try, seems like having only one is not great. One more underwear-ish, one more quick-dry triathlon type. :datass:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:36 pm What seat did you buy?

I've still been making changes to the bars and everything basically every day. Today is the first day that I have no plans to make any changes to the bike. I did order a couple more random diapers to try, seems like having only one is not great. One more underwear-ish, one more quick-dry triathlon type. :datass:
:word: with this new seat, I will porbably need a couple more diapers. These days I don't wear much real clothes, so I am doing laundry once a week as I only have a few work out tees, basketball shorts, diapers, and work out undies :sweaty: .

I got a WTB SL8 Pro Saddle 150mm, ass bones seem to be 127mm spacing. I like my WTB MTB seat well enough and it was on clearance/light, so we'll see. $42 :wasteful:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:41 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:36 pm What seat did you buy?

:word: with this new seat, I will porbably need a couple more diapers. These days I don't wear much real clothes, so I am doing laundry once a week as I only have a few work out tees, basketball shorts, diapers, and work out undies :sweaty: .

I got a WTB SL8 Pro Saddle 150mm, ass bones seem to be 127mm spacing. I like my WTB MTB seat well enough and it was on clearance/light, so we'll see. $42 :wasteful:
I do laundry every damn day, though I'm usually only washing the cycling shorts. You guys don't wash them every time? :notsure:

My post earlier probably sounds more negative than intended. I still don't feel great and still can't ride for more than an hour, buuuut I feel better than I have in a long time.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:45 pm

I do laundry every damn day, though I'm usually only washing the cycling shorts. You guys don't wash them every time? :notsure:

My post earlier probably sounds more negative than intended. I still don't feel great and still can't ride for more than an hour, buuuut I feel better than I have in a long time.
I have 4 diapers, so I can ride a few times before doing laundry.
Core strength helps my wrists/hands out tremendously.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:45 pm

I do wash every time, they get gross. I do reuse basketball shorts some but even that is questionable. I haven’t used the diapers road biking but probably will start with the new seat so I’ll need more diapers. I never MTB more than twice a week.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:45 pm I do laundry every damn day, though I'm usually only washing the cycling shorts. You guys don't wash them every time? :notsure:

I do wash every time, they get gross. I do reuse basketball shorts some but even that is questionable. I haven’t used the diapers road biking but probably will start with the new seat so I’ll need more diapers. I never MTB more than twice a week.
:impressive:

I don't eat until after I have ridden the bike every day. No exceptions. Gotta get the fuck into shape, this is disgusting to be so weak and slow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:17 pm
D Griff wrote:
:impressive:

I don't eat until after I have ridden the bike every day. No exceptions. Gotta get the fuck into shape, this is disgusting to be so weak and slow.
I exercise every day... but not MTB.

Usually this is my routine:

Monday - 1-1.5 hours of running followed by a 3-4 mile run
Tuesday - 2 hour road bike ride or MTB ride
Wednesday - 1-1.5 hours of running followed by a 3-4 mile run
Thursday - 2 hour road bike ride or MTB ride
Friday - -1-1.5 hours of running followed by a 3-4 mile run
Saturday - work outside :manuel: labor from like 8-6 (yard work, car work, house shit)
Sunday - 1-2 hour bike ride or run + a few more hours of yard shit