Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Took my sweet time, but I finally dropped off the Trance with FedEx. :pouroneout:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:16 pm @[user not found], that looks like quite the epic ride, dude!

I didn't get out at all this weekend :disappoint:
It was a fantastic ride. Glad we at least got one day of good weather this holiday weekend.

The whole premise of the ride was centered around the massive viaduct in the photos. Built in 1915, it was an engineering marvel at the time (and still is, really).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunkhannock_Viaduct
Very interesting. Such lush, much green.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:16 pm @[user not found], that looks like quite the epic ride, dude!

I didn't get out at all this weekend :disappoint:
It was a fantastic ride. Glad we at least got one day of good weather this holiday weekend.

The whole premise of the ride was centered around the massive viaduct in the photos. Built in 1915, it was an engineering marvel at the time (and still is, really).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunkhannock_Viaduct
Very :neat: ! :megusta:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:30 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:15 pm :iono:

A good friend of mine commutes every day on a bike and he said the hybrid gets pretty un-comfy because you can't change hand positions at all. My wife also has one (granted it's like a 2004) and that this is so slow and meh. Hybrids are like the Honda CR-V of bikes, they are great for people with no specific needs who have never ridden any sort of better bike.

I would much rather just get some cheap used road bike Troy style and have it be way more sporty for less money or just get a set of wheels/slick tires and keep your MTB.
I dunno man, the hand position is just like being on a MTB, and this one felt quick enough. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... c/p/34135/

Plus, the longest rides I'd ever go on would be 20 minutes taking the kids to a park or to go get ice cream on the weekends or something, or maybe to grab lunch with my wife on some random weekday. Put it that way, though, why bother with the hybrid? Just throw some semi-slicks on the 26er and :dealwithit: , I guess.
I guess my thought is... you could do the 20 minutes to the park thing on any bike, road, mountain, you name it. Why not have one of those in case the opportunity ever comes up for a more interesting ride? The hybrid can only do that kind of thing and starts to suck if you put it into any other circumstance.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:01 pmI guess my thought is... you could do the 20 minutes to the park thing on any bike, road, mountain, you name it. Why not have one of those in case the opportunity ever comes up for a more interesting ride? The hybrid can only do that kind of thing and starts to suck if you put it into any other circumstance.
The hybrid is better at that stuff than my 26er would be even with some semi-slicks and a 1x conversion, but it’s a fair point, and is exactly why I decided to give the Emonda ALR a whirl. :like:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:56 pm I hopped on a 54cm SuperSix and while that bike fit me fine in terms of reach (the 56 felt long), the front is definitely low, just like my old bike was. A shop here locally has a 56cm Emonda ALR coming in next week, which has just about the exact same reach as a 54cm CAAD13 or SuperSix Evo, but a 2cm taller frame stack. Not :stig: material, but if it keeps me comfortable and out on the bike, that's more important. I put down a deposit and will give it a whirl once they get it in.

It looka like dis:
That looks dope. I'd ride it. I kinda have the wants for a fast road bike again.
No idea why. Makes no sense for me.
Johnny_P

Rode today. Ended up feeling pretty strong. Grav grav, some torn up road, some full on mountain bike trails. A couple little bonus trails for the hell of it. Full Philly style ride. I love that I can link all that together from my house on one bike. PR'd some stuff too, and set some fast (for me) times on some things I haven't come close to touching since 2016.

I gotta find a way to take the kid with me on a bike. I probably should get another ride, a more commuter style upright thing with mounts all over it for baby supplies, and an Acera drivetrain so I won't cry too hard when it gets stolen. Marin makes some interesting stuff, the Kentfield looks like it would do the trick. Trying to find a used bike has been stupidity.

https://www.citygrounds.com/collections ... 9066865775

That, with a baby seat on the back, and a pizza rack on the front to hold the diaper bag and 20 lbs of Kryptonite New York U locks. Bring it on.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:Rode today. Ended up feeling pretty strong. Grav grav, some torn up road, some full on mountain bike trails. A couple little bonus trails for the hell of it. Full Philly style ride. I love that I can link all that together from my house on one bike. PR'd some stuff too, and set some fast (for me) times on some things I haven't come close to touching since 2016.

I gotta find a way to take the kid with me on a bike. I probably should get another ride, a more commuter style upright thing with mounts all over it for baby supplies, and an Acera drivetrain so I won't cry too hard when it gets stolen. Marin makes some interesting stuff, the Kentfield looks like it would do the trick. Trying to find a used bike has been stupidity.

That, with a baby seat on the back, and a pizza rack on the front to hold the diaper bag and 20 lbs of Kryptonite New York U locks. Bring it on.
Where at? Sounds good for me and teh wif0rz, nowhere near your pace im sure
Johnny_P

rockchops wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Rode today. Ended up feeling pretty strong. Grav grav, some torn up road, some full on mountain bike trails. A couple little bonus trails for the hell of it. Full Philly style ride. I love that I can link all that together from my house on one bike. PR'd some stuff too, and set some fast (for me) times on some things I haven't come close to touching since 2016.

Left south Philly on the SRT. Hit a bonus gravel and mountain bike trail next to the art museum. Boxers trail north. Strawberry mansion bridge over to MLK drive. SRT out to the manayunk towpath. Port Royal up ☠️. Dropped into the Wiss on Northwestern Ave, hit the MTB downhill trail and railed it. Forbidden drive. Then back along Lincoln Drive east side trails. SRT home.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

rockchops wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:18 pm

You should get Strava and you could view :hue:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I finally got the SuperX cleaned up and listed for sale privately before I re-submit it to the pro's closet. Looks :nice: yet odd without my purple stuff. Who needs a gravel racing bike?

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I don't understand bike geometry at all. I hopped on a 56cm Aethos today for :science: and it felt fine, and the geometry figures that are supposed to matter with fit are almost exactly the same as a CAAD13, but actually slightly more aggressive. Not that I'm going to spend that kind of money, but I was curious.

Aethos first, CAAD13 second:

Reach..........................395mm................389mm
Stack...........................565mm................575mm
Stack/Reach Ratio.........1.43........................1.47
Top Tube.....................562mm................562mm

:iono:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:
rockchops wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:18 pm Where at? Sounds good for me and teh wif0rz, nowhere near your pace im sure
Left south Philly on the SRT. Hit a bonus gravel and mountain bike trail next to the art museum. Boxers trail north. Strawberry mansion bridge over to MLK drive. SRT out to the manayunk towpath. Port Royal up Image. Dropped into the Wiss on Northwestern Ave, hit the MTB downhill trail and railed it. Forbidden drive. Then back along Lincoln Drive east side trails. SRT home.
Very nice, I have been doing SRT conshy to fallry forge and perkiomen/oaks. VF has been too busy on nice days though.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:I don't understand bike geometry at all. I hopped on a 56cm Aethos today for :science: and it felt fine, and the geometry figures that are supposed to matter with fit are almost exactly the same as a CAAD13, but actually slightly more aggressive. Not that I'm going to spend that kind of money, but I was curious.

Aethos first, CAAD13 second:

Reach..........................395mm................389mm
Stack...........................565mm................575mm
Stack/Reach Ratio.........1.43........................1.47
Top Tube.....................562mm................562mm

:iono:
Setup can make a yuuuuge difference. For example I moved my shifters up a centimeter along the bars and went from really uncomfortable to just fine. Different seats, seat height, seat setback, etc. all make a big difference and don't show up on the geo charts.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:07 pmSetup can make a yuuuuge difference. For example I moved my shifters up a centimeter along the bars and went from really uncomfortable to just fine. Different seats, seat height, seat setback, etc. all make a big difference and don't show up on the geo charts.
I’m sure you’re right, but no shop is going to take an hour to tweak someone’s fit on a bike they’re only considering buying unless maybe it’s a repeat customer buying some crazy high dollar thing.

The CAAD does have a setback seatpost, I think 20mm, and the saddle was roughly in the middle. I can’t help but wonder if something without an offset would feel better. My patella seemed to be pretty plumb with the axle of the pedal at 90*, though, although that’s tough to tell from above and also while on flats. I think the Aethos has an offset seatpost too, though, and both have an 100mm stem, so who knows?
troyguitar

Also finally got :tits: bike closer to done. New cable inners and chain plus swapping on a few of the stock parts from my domane and a +17 degree stem to make it easier. Those Hutchinson fusion tarz do indeed feel softer than my gp5000. Overall a nice bike for ~$400 in parts and a little bit of time.

Still needs final position adjustments and then bar tape but it's basically done.

Johnny_P

rockchops wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Left south Philly on the SRT. Hit a bonus gravel and mountain bike trail next to the art museum. Boxers trail north. Strawberry mansion bridge over to MLK drive. SRT out to the manayunk towpath. Port Royal up Image. Dropped into the Wiss on Northwestern Ave, hit the MTB downhill trail and railed it. Forbidden drive. Then back along Lincoln Drive east side trails. SRT home.
Very nice, I have been doing SRT conshy to fallry forge and perkiomen/oaks. VF has been too busy on nice days though.
Road bike?
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:
rockchops wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:19 pm Very nice, I have been doing SRT conshy to fallry forge and perkiomen/oaks. VF has been too busy on nice days though.
Road bike?
yep, le monsieur (musseuw). Was my spring build, about 150mi on it.Image
troyguitar

Pro's closet just came back with $2600 cash for the superx... guess I don't need to bother with private sale. I'm asking $2800 and would likely end up throwing in the pedals and paying $100ish in PayPal fees for a private sale.

The value either went up over 10% in the past 2 months or they liked that it was cleaned up with better pictures. Real :plac: profit!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:58 am Pro's closet just came back with $2600 cash for the superx... guess I don't need to bother with private sale. I'm asking $2800 and would likely end up throwing in the pedals and paying $100ish in PayPal fees for a private sale.

The value either went up over 10% in the past 2 months or they liked that it was cleaned up with better pictures. Real :plac: profit!
The offer on the Trance was $2,450, and I was in the same boat. I might have asked $2,800, but then I'd have had to deal with the :derp: population, had to likely haggle, and it was just easier to ship out the bike. Assuming they actually give me the full quoted value, that is. Should be in their hands tomorrow. :popcorn:
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:58 am Pro's closet just came back with $2600 cash for the superx... guess I don't need to bother with private sale. I'm asking $2800 and would likely end up throwing in the pedals and paying $100ish in PayPal fees for a private sale.

The offer on the Trance was $2,450, and I was in the same boat. I might have asked $2,800, but then I'd have had to deal with the :derp: population, had to likely haggle, and it was just easier to ship out the bike. Assuming they actually give me the full quoted value, that is. Should be in their hands tomorrow. :popcorn:
Oh do they end up nickel and diming you when they get it? I should do my homework on that. My bike is in good shape but it's not perfect.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:18 am Oh do they end up nickel and diming you when they get it? I should do my homework on that. My bike is in good shape but it's not perfect.
I don't think so, they say in their FAQ section they "are less concerned with normal wear and tear", but instead look for more structural issues that would make the bike unsellable. I noted a couple more significant cosmetic issues in the photos and the notes to go with my submission, so I would certainly hope they took those into consideration when they made the offer.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:18 am Oh do they end up nickel and diming you when they get it? I should do my homework on that. My bike is in good shape but it's not perfect.
I don't think so, they say in their FAQ section they "are less concerned with normal wear and tear", but instead look for more structural issues that would make the bike unsellable. I noted a couple more significant cosmetic issues in the photos and the notes to go with my submission, so I would certainly hope they took those into consideration when they made the offer.
:word:

I sent high res photos so there should be no surprises. A used off-road racing bike I guess shouldn't be expected to be cosmetically perfect anyway.

I'm amazed that they can make any money off of it after paying me this much, plus shipping, plus whatever inspection/reconditioning/listing/marketing/selling costs they incur.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:42 am :word:

I sent high res photos so there should be no surprises. A used off-road racing bike I guess shouldn't be expected to be cosmetically perfect anyway.

I'm amazed that they can make any money off of it after paying me this much, plus shipping, plus whatever inspection/reconditioning/listing/marketing/selling costs they incur.
Blows my mind. I paid $3k for the Trance 3 years ago, and at that time it wasn't lagging behind the industry in terms of geometry, and the world hadn't seemingly totally moved away from 27.5 wheels yet. With shipping costs and refurbishments they'll be spending nearly that and now frankly it's a pretty outdated bike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:05 pm I take a look at TPC from time to time and I have zero interest in buying anything from them.

I'll buy a brand new bike (or have one built) before I spend that kind of coin on a used one. At least I can get a Carfax on a vehicle.

Plan right now is to do up another custom Blacklist this winter - mimicking the geo from the CAAD. I love the way that bike fits me. Ultegra disc, TA front and rear, carbon bars, Thomson cockpit, room for 32s max.
:dat:

I think we are just in an unprecedented time where people would be willing to buy something like that Trance for original MSRP because it's the only bike they can get their hands on. It seems like shit margins even at that point, but whatever, if it works for them.

I've heard the only reason to buy is if there's a bike that has some upgrades... like you may get a five year old bike for MSRP but you're getting some wheel upgrade thrown in or something along those lines.