Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:notwrong:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

So how many calories a day do I need to eat to lose 10 lbs, 4000?
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:25 pm So how many calories a day do I need to eat to lose 10 lbs, 4000?
:bruh:

Stop focusing on calories.

Just eat more brotein, some healthy carbs, and do what I told you to do: Intervals, or some other high intensity workout.
Isn't riding up here on (almost) any route the same as doing hill repeats?

In my sample size of one ride yesterday it does feel better to ride harder than to try to build a base via easy rides... of course I still got all of 2 hours of sleep last night so I remain entirely exhausted and useless today. Maybe I need to ride even harder.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Sleep is going to be a huge factor in this too Troy. I know you don’t want to smoke weed, but check out Delta 8 THC. It’s completely legal afaik, and you get the benefits (reduced anxiety, reduced inflammation, etc.) without really feeling high. Outside of that, I think that telehealth (for now until in person is an option if you still need help then) with a therapist is something you need to do if you want to actually change your quality of life. Therapy has helped me, and several others on here.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 pm Isn't riding up here on (almost) any route the same as doing hill repeats?

In my sample size of one ride yesterday it does feel better to ride harder than to try to build a base via easy rides... of course I still got all of 2 hours of sleep last night so I remain entirely exhausted and useless today. Maybe I need to ride even harder.
You still need to do some easy riding for your base and to promote active recovery.

The high intensity or interval efforts are essentially threshold and VO2 max efforts. These will deepen your base, trigger muscle growth, increase lung capacity, improve your body’s response to high efforts, and increase your ability to do high intensity efforts more than once per ride.

If you feel exhausted and useless today, you don’t ride today. Listen to your fucking body and recover. Do some stretching or yoga and relax.
I wish it were that simple. Exercise or not, I pretty much feel like shit every day. I don't think I have ever woken up feeling good in my life. Getting out of bed is a struggle. My body always says to do nothing.
troyguitar

Waiting for a pickup now after shooting goo everywhere, 30something and sleet. Eeyore.gif

troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:33 am
troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:57 am I wish it were that simple. Exercise or not, I pretty much feel like shit every day. I don't think I have ever woken up feeling good in my life. Getting out of bed is a struggle. My body always says to do nothing.
Is this a physical 'feel like shit' or a mental 'feel like shit'?
They tend to be related, but I'm basically always some version of tired, slow, sore, etc. for at least 2 hours after waking up. Forcing myself to do stuff that my body absolutely does not want to do is the only way I ever get anything done. On a great day I might have 2-3 hours total, always in the evening, where I actually feel halfway decent.

That being said, before the damn tire failure today I was riding the strongest I had ever ridden and feeling generally fine after I got over the first 20ish minutes of "it's fucking miserable out here why do I even bother?" warmup phase. Of course I already ate the damn pizza last night planning to do a much longer ride today, so instead of burning those calories they go straight to fucking fat. It's always something, can't win.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:16 pm Waiting for a pickup now after shooting goo everywhere, 30something and sleet. Eeyore.gif

:disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I did my December 100K ride yesterday with my friend Maxx who a few here have met. We have done a few long rides together. He has an '82 Schwinn so it is the vintage tour. I would've enjoyed going a bit faster but it is always fun to have some company and I'm impressed with his progress, especially considering his lack of kit of really any sort, he doesn't even have water bottle cage(s), so he has a backpack, baggy clothes, etc.

We wound up doing about 64 miles, 2900 feet or climbing, 15.4 mph (not including three or four breaks).

I sort of want to go out sometime and see how quickly I can tackle 100KM solo, I think I could hit 17 mph if I really tried. It just gets so boring if there isn't interesting/new scenery and no one to talk to.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Genuinely sounds like Lyme disease.

I’m over here with a 2 year old and 8 month old twins who haven’t been in childcare for 4 weeks, personally haven’t slept through the night at home more than 3 or 4 times in those 8 months, getting over COVID, and my ass is still up at 5:45am almost every morning to go throw kettlebells around in the garage before the kids wake up. Eat right, recover and supplement properly, it can still be done.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:Genuinely sounds like Lyme disease.

I’m over here with a 2 year old and 8 month old twins who haven’t been in childcare for 4 weeks, personally haven’t slept through the night at home more than 3 or 4 times in those 8 months, getting over COVID, and my ass is still up at 5:45am almost every morning to go throw kettlebells around in the garage before the kids wake up. Eat right, recover and supplement properly, it can still be done.
Must be nice to have that kind of energy.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:10 pmMust be nice to have that kind of energy.
I’m not sure anyone just has that kind of energy. I certainly don’t. I choose to have that kind of energy. I MAKE myself have that much energy. I also drink an enormous amount of coffee.

My point it is, if I’m making time for my fitness goals with all of the shit thrown at me at the moment, you have plenty of time and ability to do the same.

When I don’t want to get out of bed in the morning, this is 100% what goes through my head and makes me throw those covers off.

troyguitar

Yep, I'm just a lazy :millennial: whiner.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:30 pmNot necessarily, although I'd say Coogles lacks a bit of empathy to whatever your plight is - I'd say you have some anxiety and depression, and some kind of autoimmune disorder if you're waking up in physical pain every day.

It's exhausting - I know it, because I see my wife deal with all 3 things I just mentioned. Not everyone can choose to have big dick energy.

So, kudos to you for fighting through as much of it as you can, but just remember that just because you have one bad day, doesn't mean the next day will be bad too.

Keep at it.
I have empathy for the condition, not as much for the response to it, whatever it may be. I don’t recall ever seeing mention of Troy actually trying to get to the root of what’s causing his problems.

I would certainly sympathize with an autoimmune disease, I personally have one. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 7 years ago and it took more than two years to get under control. It was completely debilitating for those two years. I bled every time I used the bathroom. I feared being more than a few steps from a bathroom out of fear of shitting myself. I didn’t want to so much as get in the car to drive to work out of fear I might not make it there. My test levels were in the double digits, my physical fitness took an absolute dump, and I was generally at wits end with life as a whole. But after seeing several traditional and functional medicine doctors, doing thousands of dollars in testing, severely altering my diet, and adding in a bevy of supplements and one medication, I’ve mostly been in remission for 5 years now. But those routines and life changes force me to think about it every day. I have the great fortune of needing to get a colonoscopy every three years because I have a severely increased risk for colon cancer. I can’t eat dairy or tree nuts or seeds or stone fruits. I spend probably $300 every month on supplements that I have to lay out and take every single day. I pop a bullet-shaped pill in my ass every night before bed to help maintain the lining of my colon.

So yes, he should keep at it, but he should also stop complaining that everyone else has it so much easier than he does. We all have our shit we have to fight through. And the only person who can fight for Troy is Troy.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:30 pmNot necessarily, although I'd say Coogles lacks a bit of empathy to whatever your plight is - I'd say you have some anxiety and depression, and some kind of autoimmune disorder if you're waking up in physical pain every day.

It's exhausting - I know it, because I see my wife deal with all 3 things I just mentioned. Not everyone can choose to have big dick energy.

So, kudos to you for fighting through as much of it as you can, but just remember that just because you have one bad day, doesn't mean the next day will be bad too.

Keep at it.
I have empathy for the condition, not as much for the response to it, whatever it may be. I don’t recall ever seeing mention of Troy actually trying to get to the root of what’s causing his problems.

I would certainly sympathize with an autoimmune disease, I personally have one. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 7 years ago and it took more than two years to get under control. It was completely debilitating for those two years. I bled every time I used the bathroom. I feared being more than a few steps from a bathroom out of fear of shitting myself. I didn’t want to so much as get in the car to drive to work out of fear I might not make it there. My test levels were in the double digits, my physical fitness took an absolute dump, and I was generally at wits end with life as a whole. But after seeing several traditional and functional medicine doctors, doing thousands of dollars in testing, severely altering my diet, and adding in a bevy of supplements and one medication, I’ve mostly been in remission for 5 years now. But those routines and life changes force me to think about it every day. I have the great fortune of needing to get a colonoscopy every three years because I have a severely increased risk for colon cancer. I can’t eat dairy or tree nuts or seeds or stone fruits. I spend probably $300 every month on supplements that I have to lay out and take every single day. I pop a bullet-shaped pill in my ass every night before bed to help maintain the lining of my colon.

So yes, he should keep at it, but he should also stop complaining that everyone else has it so much easier than he does. We all have our shit we have to fight through. And the only person who can fight for Troy is Troy.
So between daycare and drugs alone, you spend more money per month than I have EVER grossed in my life?

Good for you. You're better than me. I'm a stupid lazy worthless motherfucker who can't figure anything out and doesn't deserve to succeed. Guess that's enough DFD for me.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:13 pmSo between daycare and drugs alone, you spend more money per month than I have EVER grossed in my life?

Good for you. You're better than me. I'm a stupid lazy worthless motherfucker who can't figure anything out and doesn't deserve to succeed. Guess that's enough DFD for me.
The idea was merely to try to get you to take some agency with regard to what you’re dealing with. Nobody deserves shit in this life, but only you can control what happens with your situation. If you continue to focus on how fast other people are, how successful other people are, or whatever else you fixate on, you’ll never be able to appreciate what you have, where you’ve been, or the progress you’ve made.

You HAVE made progress at times, and the people here have offered a ton of help to keep you improving. But clearly there’s more underneath the surface than we could ever hope to cure on a message board, and you need to take control of whatever that is. Might require integrative solutions, talk therapy, medications, who knows? Certainly not anyone posting here. You are your own best advocate, your own best caregiver, your own best physical therapist, and the only one posting in here who can really and truly help you.

Sorry to see you go, if you do.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

In seriousness, good health is certainly not something to take for granted, both physically and emotionally.

Everything has already been said, but yes, Troy would need to take action on sleeping better, probably eating better, and supplement training with more than just base miles to really improve at cycling.

We have made suggestions for the past year on ways to address this, I personally would bet the sleep is the biggest factor. Therapy, weed, medical examination/diagnosis would be the three things I would look at to start, personally.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

In other news, anyone heard of spinlister.com? My buddy and I had the idea recently that a Turo/airBNB for bikes would be :neat: , turns out it already exists.

I am thinking about putting the Orbea on to see if I could make a few extra bucks.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:31 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:46 am In other news, anyone heard of spinlister.com? My buddy and I had the idea recently that a Turo/airBNB for bikes would be :neat: , turns out it already exists.

I am thinking about putting the Orbea on to see if I could make a few extra bucks.
Huh.

I could list the Schwinn. 🤔
Yeah it is more palatable to me than listing a car, much less to really go :wrong: on a bike. I figure it wouldn't get booked much (the Orbea) and I don't TB daily or anything, so I wouldn't miss it much if it got booked out sometimes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Just did my first Peloton class, 45 minute HIIT/hill climbs with Ally Love. All in all I actually liked it pretty well, certainly different than getting out on the open road. I don't think I would ever do it daily or as my primary means of exercise (I love being outside riding, hiking, and running) but I'm curious to see if it translates to speed improvements as [user not found] has mentioned.

I'm not really sure "how I did"... the Bowflex/Schwinn bike we have showed I burned 988 calories, the app 255 (granted that is at my wife's weight which is lower than mine and there was no data other than cadence coming into Peloton). My heartrate monitor would connect to her iPad but then wouldn't display in the Peloton app. I also can't link to Strava because the iPad can't go past iOS 10.X.

I can probably log into Peloton on my phone when she gets home and then link the workout if I decide to. I'm :notsure: if Peloton adds any kind of distance/climbing data to the workouts that would show up in my Strava metrics, also :notsure: if I would want that as it isn't actually distance/climbing.

Definitely won't be my last though, particularly as the weather gets bad.

It's too bad I can't do more stuff for my job in the early AM and ride more in the afternoons which are still nice most days, but it is often tricky to get away for more than an hour between 11-7.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

How much could you possibly make on a bike rental to make it worth your time dealing with :derp: s?

Popping tires, breaking chains, chewing sprockets, bending rims, breaking spokes, etc...plus the act of dealing with people in general is probably more cost than benefit IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:27 am How much could you possibly make on a bike rental to make it worth your time dealing with :derp: s?

Popping tires, breaking chains, chewing sprockets, bending rims, breaking spokes, etc...plus the act of dealing with people in general is probably more cost than benefit IMO.
:iono: it sounds kind of fun to me... Looks like $40/day would be reasonable on the Orbea. :iono: if I made $100-200/month doing that I could buy some bike shit :lolol:

Would it be worth the time? Not really, but I wouldn't mind doing it. I feel like the kind of person willing to pay $40 to rent an MTB would be someone who actually mountain bikes :iono:

Issues would be way easier/less costly compared to Turoing a car, which seems like it would add crazy expensive wear and tear.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My thought is also that a mountain bike is pretty tough and I don't really care if it gets scratched up or whatever, it is already run hard/put away wet.

My road bike has more sentimental value (been in the family for 36 years), would probably fetch less $$$, and I use way more often, so I doubt I'd put it on there. It's also a bit more niche/temperamental operationally.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:53 pm My thought is also that a mountain bike is pretty tough and I don't really care if it gets scratched up or whatever, it is already run hard/put away wet.

My road bike has more sentimental value (been in the family for 36 years), would probably fetch less $$$, and I use way more often, so I doubt I'd put it on there. It's also a bit more niche/temperamental operationally.
I guess it depends on where/how you ride, but I've dealt with a ton of failures on MTBs. I don't mind dealing with it when it's my doing, but when it's another :derp: :notsure:

I guess if you had a fleet of bikes to lend out it could work. I'd just hate to have a bike down that prevented me from riding.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.