Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Fuck, man. I bought a bike in the first 20something pages of the last thread.

I’m two bikes in right now and a third late last year.

Pflugtag’s due thIs time.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:17 pm Your city life is a little different than mine lol, I'm pretty sure I could leave my bike unlocked chilling on the sidewalk and no one would ever touch it. Plus it's a mile straight uphill to get home from... anywhere.
:drunk: workout from the bar?
I guess. The idea was that my bike - or really any bike I would buy - is already a "dirt cheap shit commuter bike" and I can't see wanting to get anything worse for riding around town. Especially with nowhere to store it except for out in the back yard to rust away.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:02 pm Fuck, man. I bought a bike in the first 20something pages of the last thread.

I’m two bikes in right now and a third late last year.

Pflugtag’s due thIs time.
:yeahok:

I bought a bike in last thread. And sold 2.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

First
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oh wait.

I think I bought an Orbea in the last thread... that was in 2017 :doe:

I'm feeling chances for 2020 acquisition are decent. Looks like the Beemah will be gone soon. :waxer:
troyguitar

Ballz. Dunno what to really make of any of this but here are today's ramblings:

Flat bar feels AWESOME for about 2 minutes. I want to get on and do wheelies and jumps and shit like I did when I was 12. :fuckyeah:

Trying to actually ride it in a fixed position on the trainer for exercise or any length of time/distance? Wow, it feels fucking terrible. I got maybe 3 minutes in before I was like "this sucks" - and suffered through it for 33 minutes before taking a break to put the drop bars back on. Apparently I need to learn how to have fun on drop bars, because exercising on flat bars fucking blows and I'm not buying 2 bikes.

I decided that, since my legs have been sore for a few days now but I still wanted to keep trying different shit on the bike, I'd test out this concept of a "recovery ride" and try to do 60 minutes at 130ish bpm instead of 20 minutes at 150-175... Things I learned from that? I'm slow as fuck, my ass still hurts a lot, and I apparently still want a longer stem. :jalepenis: I keep wanting my hands to be much further forward. Not lower, but further forward. A few times I actually rested my hands up on my standing desk which sits probably 4 inches ahead of and 3-4 inches higher than my "hoods" position on my bars. I also put my palms up on the gear indicators for awhile and put my elbows at the corners of the bars, all trying to get further forward.

The best I can do at 130 bpm for an hour is apparently 13 mph on a simulated :stig: road bike, so probably more like 10 mph real world on my POS in my non-aero position. So. Fucking. Boring. Y'all really ride at this low of an intensity for hours and hours on end? How do you keep from falling asleep? I was watching a concert on youtube but obviously can't do that on the road.

:csb: :whocares:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:49 am Ballz. Dunno what to really make of any of this but here are today's ramblings:

Flat bar feels AWESOME for about 2 minutes. I want to get on and do wheelies and jumps and shit like I did when I was 12. :fuckyeah:

Trying to actually ride it in a fixed position on the trainer for exercise or any length of time/distance? Wow, it feels fucking terrible. I got maybe 3 minutes in before I was like "this sucks" - and suffered through it for 33 minutes before taking a break to put the drop bars back on. Apparently I need to learn how to have fun on drop bars, because exercising on flat bars fucking blows and I'm not buying 2 bikes.

I decided that, since my legs have been sore for a few days now but I still wanted to keep trying different shit on the bike, I'd test out this concept of a "recovery ride" and try to do 60 minutes at 130ish bpm instead of 20 minutes at 150-175... Things I learned from that? I'm slow as fuck, my ass still hurts a lot, and I apparently still want a longer stem. :jalepenis: I keep wanting my hands to be much further forward. Not lower, but further forward. A few times I actually rested my hands up on my standing desk which sits probably 4 inches ahead of and 3-4 inches higher than my "hoods" position on my bars. I also put my palms up on the gear indicators for awhile and put my elbows at the corners of the bars, all trying to get further forward.

The best I can do at 130 bpm for an hour is apparently 13 mph on a simulated :stig: road bike, so probably more like 10 mph real world on my POS in my non-aero position. So. Fucking. Boring. Y'all really ride at this low of an intensity for hours and hours on end? How do you keep from falling asleep? I was watching a concert on youtube but obviously can't do that on the road.

Trainers are torture devices. I like riding outside because scenery is good. If you're riding where people jog, scenery can be real good :hubba:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Not sure on everyone's feelings on e-bikes (I don't think I'd personally want one) but this seems pretty sweet to me - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... 38QAvD_BwE#/
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:09 pm Not sure on everyone's feelings on e-bikes (I don't think I'd personally want one) but this seems pretty sweet to me - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... 38QAvD_BwE#/
I can see a point to e-bikes, but only limited use IMO. Commuting? An e-bike makes sense. But as just a hobby to tear up the local trails? :butwhy:

THAT SAID

Last year I rode a trail and while I was putting the bike on my truck, this OLD dude rolls up after a ride. We made small talk and eventually he said "I love this e-bike, I can still ride at 87 years old!". He said he keeps the assist low to challenge himself, but had given up on biking before he got his e-bike because he just doesn't have the stamina anymore. :notbad:

I've also been intrigued by belt driven bikes for a while. Trek came out with one about 10 years ago, and I almost bought one when I was commuting in downtown LBC.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:09 pm Not sure on everyone's feelings on e-bikes (I don't think I'd personally want one) but this seems pretty sweet to me - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... 38QAvD_BwE#/
e bikes are excellent as commuters. You don't get nearly as sweaty on them. They tend to be pretty heavy so if the battery dies it kind of sucks.

Last time I attempted to be a pathlete, I got embarrassed by a lady on one who was clocking like 25 MPH uphill sitting bolt upright lol.

Around me all the :manuel: have them for food deliveries. Some of them are really fast, but they're mostly the homemade ones that require no pedaling, and as such they are never pedaling the things. I guess converting an old bike to electric is cheaper than buying an electric scooter.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:30 pm e bikes are excellent as commuters. You don't get nearly as sweaty on them. They tend to be pretty heavy so if the battery dies it kind of sucks.

Last time I attempted to be a pathlete, I got embarrassed by a lady on one who was clocking like 25 MPH uphill sitting bolt upright lol.

Around me all the :manuel: have them for food deliveries. Some of them are really fast, but they're mostly the homemade ones that require no pedaling, and as such they are never pedaling the things. I guess converting an old bike to electric is cheaper than buying an electric scooter.
All the hipsters in my old 'hood made powered bikes with these little brappy two stroke single cylinder engines. Annoyingly loud AF, but they could :scoot:. One dude got seriously injured on one at the end of my block, though. There isn't a stop sign at the south end of my old block, but there are at the north end and the south end of the next block down. Dude must have thought it was a four-way and that he could beat the car that was coming because they'd be slowing down, but they didn't because no stop sign, and he ran right into the side of the car. Dude was laying in the street for quite awhile before getting carted off by the medics.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:43 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:30 pm e bikes are excellent as commuters. You don't get nearly as sweaty on them. They tend to be pretty heavy so if the battery dies it kind of sucks.

All the hipsters in my old 'hood made powered bikes with these little brappy two stroke single cylinder engines. Annoyingly loud AF, but they could :scoot:. One dude got seriously injured on one at the end of my block, though. There isn't a stop sign at the south end of my old block, but there are at the north end and the south end of the next block down. Dude must have thought it was a four-way and that he could beat the car that was coming because they'd be slowing down, but they didn't because no stop sign, and he ran right into the side of the car. Dude was laying in the street for quite awhile before getting carted off by the medics.
That sucks for the driver of the car.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:50 pm That sucks for the driver of the car.
No joke. I was sitting outside on our front porch with my son during my pat leave, so he was 4 or 5 months-ish old at the time. I saw this dude just fly up the cross street and not slow down at all, but the intersection was out of view. Didn't see the impact, but I sure as shit heard it and the moaning and groaning of the guy afterward.

So often the driver of the car is at fault, but yeah...not this time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:30 pm
e bikes are excellent as commuters. You don't get nearly as sweaty on them. They tend to be pretty heavy so if the battery dies it kind of sucks.

:word: I don't think I'll be going back to the office this summer, otherwise the bike commuting might be too :sweaty: When I was doing that though, I just showered at the YMCA like one mile from the office, so it's not much of an issue if the Y opens back up by the time I have to go in. I kind of like that it builds exercise into my day.

Those things just look really sweet though, it's nice that they look like a regular commuter bike.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:49 am Ballz. Dunno what to really make of any of this but here are today's ramblings:

Trainers are torture devices. I like riding outside because scenery is good. If you're riding where people jog, scenery can be real good :hubba:
There are no places here where the scenery includes other people. You'd probably have to ride 100 miles to pass 10 people.

Also the weather is absolute torture for probably 70% of the time. Either temperatures or precipitation or wind/humidity... or all 3.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:00 pm

:word: I did spin class with the wife twice. No fucking thank you. I used to always treadmill it up in college and now I'm all :butwhy: . Especially that part of Miami, which is very nice. Fortunately the last two or three years I lived down there I wised up and got outside. I'm fine with being :sweaty: :doe:
troyguitar

So where should I ride?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:16 pm So where should I ride?
:iono: the area... but from what I recall being up near Finger Lakes and stuff there were lots of pretty back roads. Obviously winter is a :nope: up there sadly, but it's probably nice now in the mornings? Everyone is different though, if you're enjoying the trainer, you do you. It is just not my thing personally.
troyguitar

Still cold AF in the mornings, but if you have [user not found] legs and infinite time and no desire to see another human then there are some decent views within 100 miles.

The nearest place where you might see joggers (Ithaca) is 50 miles one way on 55 mph roads. Gotta ride 100+ miles a day to see them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:28 pm Still cold AF in the mornings, but if you have [user not found] legs and infinite time and no desire to see another human then there are some decent views within 100 miles.

The nearest place where you might see joggers (Ithaca) is 50 miles one way on 55 mph roads. Gotta ride 100+ miles a day to see them.
I prefer to just see no one on my rides :iono:

I normally go out to West Charlotte/airport area as it's pretty rural on that side of town and I can do a nice 30-40 mile ride where only ~6 miles are on busy, shitty streets where I might get killed.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:22 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:28 pm Still cold AF in the mornings, but if you have [user not found] legs and infinite time and no desire to see another human then there are some decent views within 100 miles.

I prefer to just see no one on my rides :iono:

I normally go out to West Charlotte/airport area as it's pretty rural on that side of town and I can do a nice 30-40 mile ride where only ~6 miles are on busy, shitty streets where I might get killed.
I try to limit chances I'll be on the receiving end of vehicular manslaughter as well.

Troy there look to be a lot of gravel surface roads out by you. Like, just south/ south west of where you live. Take a ride up to that antenna tower and see if there is a view? Or behind Corning corp office there seem to be gravel roads as well. You have a gravel bike, so.... :popcorn:
Johnny_P

@troy

One great tool to use is the Strava global heat map. You can see what roads people ride on around you! It looks like there is a trail system west of you just over the river, and a bunch of bike friendly roads at the top of the hill behind your house. Start out with a climb, end with a downhill!
troyguitar

Yeah those exist, just gotta be prepared for a 2+ hour ride with a fuck ton of hills. Maybe eventually, can't do that now at any pace.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:28 pm Yeah those exist, just gotta be prepared for a 2+ hour ride with a fuck ton of hills. Maybe eventually, can't do that now at any pace.
2 hour ride for sure. I'd try and climb that hill to the radio tower and fart around on the gravel roads and maybe see a deer or something. At least it's only up one way, then you get to coast down. You have the bail out gearing on the bike too!
troyguitar

haha what you call a bailout gear I call a climbing gear... We'll see how it goes whenever I get out there, but at least last year I was in my absolute lowest 30/32 gear huffing and puffing at 170+ bpm heart rate trying to make it up the hill to get back home. We're near the top of the hill on the South side of town, maybe going further south would indeed lead to finishing on a downhill of sorts though? I've never really been near that radio tower for example. We pretty much live at the school:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Frede ... 77.0631675