Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

This is what you get on a 2015 Giant Defy.

About an inch under the stem.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:05 pm This is what you get on a 2015 Giant Defy.

I'm not sure what welds look like on the best bikes but based on what I've seen on aftermarket exhausts etc that's a pretty messy weld.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:44 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:05 pm This is what you get on a 2015 Giant Defy.

I'm not sure what welds look like on the best bikes but based on what I've seen on aftermarket exhausts etc that's a pretty messy weld.
That’s a pretty decent looking weld for a $1500 level 5 year old bike. It’s only within the last few years that they’ve started grinding them down and putting more focus on the aesthetics on the upper tier bikes and it’s starting to trickle downhill.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:09 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:44 pm

That’s a pretty decent looking weld for a $1500 level 5 year old bike. It’s only within the last few years that they’ve started grinding them down and putting more focus on the aesthetics on the upper tier bikes and it’s starting to trickle downhill.
I don't know that much about bikes but my Cannondale CX which is at least 5 yrs old has smoothed out welds, so I assume this was anything over $1k. Maybe it puts my bike up class for the price, which I'm happy about.

Here is what I get to look at when I go for a :scoot: , :notbad:

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Bike needs a wash, same with teh car, the weather totally sucks :doe:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I haven't worked up the courage to spray my bike with the hose so it's got 1700 miles of filth on it. I'm afraid I'll ruin all of the steel parts with water.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 pm I haven't worked up the courage to spray my bike with the hose so it's got 1700 miles of filth on it. I'm afraid I'll ruin all of the steel parts with water.
I got mine pretty cheap (relatively) but feel somewhat the same about washing it carelessly. Thinking that a bucket of soapy water and a sponge plus a handful of microfiber towels will be ok to wash and wipe down the painted parts, I'll probably use whatever car soap j can reach in my garage. I recently sprayed degreaser all over the chain and gears and then hit those bits with some chain lube so those parts looks clean and nice and shiny again.

My bike has been pretty flawless for me, but I will look into what a tune up is all about and add a few service items to by winter storage routine. I'm hoping for a couple more rides before that :doe:
troyguitar

:nice:

With that many spacers I could definitely get away with the small size frame. It would actually be a better fit than the medium because of the shorter reach, shorter cranks, and narrower handlebars.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I did my first ever group ride this weekend, a metric century down in Rock Hill, SC about 20 miles south of Charlotte. My buddy Maxx came along as well, I was a little concerned about him making it, he'd never been longer than 40 miles and has a Schwinn of similar vintage to my Raleigh but less "resto-modded". It was flatter than what we're used to in Charlotte at only 1900' of gain over 62 miles, and he did a great job and finished up the ride, although the last third was rough for him.

Riding in a group was a ton of fun and definitely something I want to do more of, I'll definitely be hopping on more of the rides moving forward. The route was also super enjoyable, there is a ton of traffic and :bs: where I normally ride, it was 5/7 to drive 25 minutes to start and basically be in bum-fuck, we saw maybe 1 car per 10 minutes.

I didn't want to leave Maxx behind but I think I could've finished this up significantly faster riding in a bit quicker group (there were 150ish riders total, plenty of groups around 10 riders). We got to the first stop about 19 miles in at an average of 19 mph and I think I could've kept that up the entire time with the great weather, flatter terrain, and advantage of riding in a group, I didn't realize how staggering that would be.
troyguitar

I'm :notsure: what to make of my shit right now. I've been purposely trying to just relax and put weight on my ass instead of hands for a few days now without any regard for my posture and in so doing am able to somewhat "comfortably" ride in a much more aggressive position... but then out of nowhere this afternoon I just started getting a ton of pain in the middle of my back after what felt like the least painful rides I have ever done yesterday and today. :iono: :whocares:

Tomorrow I'm scheduled to go back to the supposed professional bike fitter, dunno what to even tell the guy at this point.

As of today I've got my bike set up in the most :stig: position possible and it feels :thisisfine: - no more painful than any other position. Seat is up high, tilted nose-down and slammed all the way forward, handlebars are all the way down and rotated down a bit too. The hoods are now a full 70mm lower than the saddle.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I would have him put you back in the “ideal” fit range for now, and slowly tweak from there.

I still think seeing a sports injury doctor to work on your nerve issues is a necessary step.
troyguitar

Couldn't get in to the only one within a couple of hours of here. Saw one of his underlings a week or two ago and she blew me off like every other doctor I have ever seen in my life for any reason. No doctor has ever been useful for anything but wasting my time and money.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:41 pm Couldn't get in to the only one within a couple of hours of here. Saw one of his underlings a week or two ago and she blew me off like every other doctor I have ever seen in my life for any reason. No doctor has ever been useful for anything but wasting my time and money.
Super shitty. I hate doctors like that. A buddy of mine had a partial tear in his ACL and his doctor wouldn’t even refer him for an MRI or anything to get it looked at. He just had my buddy go through a few different movements in his office and determined that there was “nothing wrong”.

Two months later he finally got a different doctor to get him an MRI and at that point it was almost completely torn through and they had to cut through it and do a full reconstructive surgery. First doctor could have avoided all of that by actually getting him an MRI so they could diagnose it.
troyguitar

Is what it is, I'm a pussy who lets everyone walk all over me in real life because I don't know how to do anything else besides get into fights.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:15 pm Is what it is, I'm a pussy who lets everyone walk all over me in real life because I don't know how to do anything else besides get into fights.
:iono: I’ve had some similar experiences with doctors, kinda hard to argue with them when they’re the “experts”.

I found one I actually liked and now he’s permanently remote :ohwell:
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:28 pm I would have him put you back in the “ideal” fit range for now, and slowly tweak from there.

I still think seeing a sports injury doctor to work on your nerve issues is a necessary step.
Also FWIW when I say I have it set up in a :stig: setup that's not really true, it's more like a standard-ish endurance road bike setup because I'm starting with an endurance geometry and a frame that's too big for me. A true race setup would have the bars around 80mm lower and another 50mm further away from me or more.

What I'm struggling with presently is that an "ideal" posture with a "comfort" fit (or any fit) gives me sharp back pain within 15-25 minutes without alleviating any of the other pains... while doing everything :wrong: also doesn't solve the other pains, I can at least ride for an hour without any sharp pains.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:41 pm Couldn't get in to the only one within a couple of hours of here. Saw one of his underlings a week or two ago and she blew me off like every other doctor I have ever seen in my life for any reason. No doctor has ever been useful for anything but wasting my time and money.
That sucks. Around here I’ve got sports med clinics everywhere, fighting for business.
troyguitar

This is how I tried it yesterday... feels basically the same to me as having the bars up all the way.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dang, that is more aggressive than I go... I have tried lowering the bars and I’m slower/less comfortable. It also may be the fact that this frame is a little big for me too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Griff it's time for a new bike, :mahman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:54 pm Griff it's time for a new bike, :mahman:
:scrooge:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 pm I haven't worked up the courage to spray my bike with the hose so it's got 1700 miles of filth on it. I'm afraid I'll ruin all of the steel parts with water.
It’ll be fine. Don’t spray the hose directly on the bearing seals with any measurable pressure. Just be sure to dry it when you’re done and then re lube the steel bits. Chain, cables, etc. You have an aluminum frame so no need to worry about that.

I use car wash soap and micro fibers. You can even wax the frame when you’re done washing it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

81* and clear today? Pleeeaaase let me find some time to go break out the MTB for an extended lunch break.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:20 am 81* and clear today? Pleeeaaase let me find some time to go break out the MTB for an extended lunch break.
Man October is my favorite MTB month and yet I'm waiting on a brake lever from Germany because we have none in the US :ohwell:

Hope you can get out and ride!

@ :mahtroy: , I have washed my bikes loads of times, including steel frames, with no issue.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:56 am Heading to Cape May today for some camping for a couple days, then it's up to Lewisburg on Saturday for UnPAved weekend.

Fingers crossed for good weather.
:nice: Cape May is great.