Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:13 pm New shoes/boots probably makes sense, I got the neoprene toe covers though I'm :notsure: whether they're really doing anything. I need to see what's out there for SPD winter boots.
I use the neoprene toe covers down to 45 or so, especially if it’s going to warm up as the ride goes on. Below that, it’s a full blown shoe cover, especially if it’s gonna be :moist:
What else do you do for rain/snow? When it's 75+ I can just get wet, but not at these temperatures.
troyguitar

Ballz. If I avoided weather I didn't like then I'd almost never go outside. I figure I might as well ride in everything if I'm stuck in this hell hole.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:11 pm Your warmup lasts almost as long as my entire ride :doe: - I'm targeting 45 minutes a day.

Sure I might get warm by the end, but I don't want to be miserable for most of the ride. Today was sunny and 60 but still freezing with a brutal wind out of the North. The Pearl gloves helped significantly but the toe covers were not enough, I definitely need better socks :doe: since my feet started out wet and stayed that way.

I tend to get sweaty and cold feet for no reason, even just sitting on the couch. :disgust:
My feet and hands get freezing all the damn time as well, I think it’s just mediocre circulation naturally.

I’ve mountain biked in 25F and it’s miserable. I did full winter gloves and my hands were still freezing and in pain. The rest of my body was comfy after a few tough climbs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:58 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:11 pm Your warmup lasts almost as long as my entire ride :doe: - I'm targeting 45 minutes a day.

Sure I might get warm by the end, but I don't want to be miserable for most of the ride. Today was sunny and 60 but still freezing with a brutal wind out of the North. The Pearl gloves helped significantly but the toe covers were not enough, I definitely need better socks :doe: since my feet started out wet and stayed that way.

I tend to get sweaty and cold feet for no reason, even just sitting on the couch. :disgust:
Look into some neoprene shoe covers. Or hell, entirely different shoes for winter.

I got lucky and a friend of mine who moved to Miami sent me his 45NRTH winter shoes. I’m kinda stoked to try some winter mountain biking this year.
:mahman:

I love it when I receive free cycling shoes in the mail.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

@troy pactimo has pro level stuff at decent prices. I’d see what they have.

I use ski gloves for snow riding. It works. My Gore jacket is good to like maybe 20f. Below that good luck just bundle up. Toes will go numb first, toe warmers may help if you pair with full shoe covers.

Maybe also check out Colorado cyclist and see what they have for winter riding.

If you do a jacket be sure to get a bright ass color not black. It’s a lot harder to see cyclists in the dark or among a backdrop of dead trees, and nobody is looking for cyclists in cold weather.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:45 pm I grabbed those Tifosi photochromic glasses and they seem pretty good so far. Used them yesterday in full sun and, while they are nowhere near as dark as sun glasses, they were dark enough to take the edge off. Used them today in overcast dark clouds plus rain and they beat the hell out of sunglasses or my regular prescription glasses. They look dumb but :ohwell:

Here's my audition shot to take Bono's place in U2.

I wouldn’t have deleted your album off my iPhone if apple had pushed it instead of Songs of Innocence.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:@troy pactimo has pro level stuff at decent prices. I’d see what they have.

I use ski gloves for snow riding. It works. My Gore jacket is good to like maybe 20f. Below that good luck just bundle up. Toes will go numb first, toe warmers may help if you pair with full shoe covers.

If you do a jacket be sure to get a bright ass color not black. It’s a lot harder to see cyclists in the dark or among a backdrop of dead trees, and nobody is looking for cyclists in cold weather.
Yeah everything seems to be black, like :dafuq: gimme neon tie-dye.

I went out in high 40s today with basically sunshine and no wind. It was mostly fine but my feet were totally frozen, so that's going to be the next step. Toe covers plus :fancy: PI merino socks are in no way enough.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 am @troy pactimo has pro level stuff at decent prices. I’d see what they have.

I just wore a Northface light ski jacket when I was commuting in January. It was not great, not terrible.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote:@troy pactimo has pro level stuff at decent prices. I’d see what they have.

Yeah everything seems to be black, like :dafuq: gimme neon tie-dye.

I went out in high 40s today with basically sunshine and no wind. It was mostly fine but my feet were totally frozen, so that's going to be the next step. Toe covers plus :fancy: PI merino socks are in no way enough.
Yeah you kinda need the full shoe cover or winter shoes. Regular shoes have a lot of ventilation.

Looks like pactimo May be in the $150-200 range for a jacket. Sometimes they have sales. My Gore jacket is ok but doesn’t vent so I get sweaty and then freeze if I stop riding lol.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 am @troy pactimo has pro level stuff at decent prices. I’d see what they have.

I just wore a Northface light ski jacket when I was commuting in January. It was not great, not terrible.
Ski clothes are active wear in harsh conditions so they work. Just kinda bulky.
Johnny_P

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So I s'pose I am a cheap fuck... but this brake lever for my Whorbea is $50, seems pricey https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Deore- ... SwgwlfTEHQ

Is there any difference in these really? I guess just buying this one is the best bet so each side will match. :disgust:
troyguitar

Ugh, so after feeling mostly OK with riding 50-60 minutes a day 5-6 days a week for a couple of weeks I decided to try 80some minutes today at a lower intensity... Neck is fucking sore again for the first time in weeks from riding fucking 20 miles at 14 miles per hour. Apparently I may never be able to ride for over an hour without hurting myself.

Also, in sunny 62F weather I was finally comfortable wearing: thermal gloves, thermal jersey over a thick base layer, regular shorts, toe covers and 2 pair of socks.

Pearl izumi women's small jersey fits me great, the men's small is not even close - basically baggy everywhere except for the waist. Castelli women's medium fits OK but still has some space all over, which might be good if I want to buy one of their jackets to put over the top of a jersey. I guess I should also buy a Castelli men's small to test but I'm afraid it'll be too short. :whocares:
troyguitar

Fucking hell, the numbness in my left hand just came back too. 60 minutes every day is fine. 90 minutes one time is not. Apparently I am still just fucking doing everything wrong. I hate bikes.
troyguitar

I officially hate you. Not just you, but everyone else who can ride a fucking bicycle for an hour. Fuckers.

Doctors I've talked to so far basically say to quit. Fuck them too. I'm not crippled, I should be able to do this shit. James Fucking May rides a Giant TCR race bike. I'm 34 years old and 140 lbs, I can ride a comfort bike.
troyguitar

Also you have a French bakery locally... bastard.
troyguitar

Ordered some Fizik X5 artica winter shoes on sale for "only" $180. :troywax:

Still trying to decide on jackets, and I'll probably need better gloves too. At this point I have significantly more money in clothing than the bike itself. :gay:

I'm leaning toward the castelli perfetto ros jacket, but when you can't try anything on let alone really test it on the bike it all feels like a huge waste of time and money. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:49 pm
troyguitar wrote:I officially hate you. Not just you, but everyone else who can ride a fucking bicycle for an hour. Fuckers.

Doctors I've talked to so far basically say to quit. Fuck them too. I'm not crippled, I should be able to do this shit. James Fucking May rides a Giant TCR race bike. I'm 34 years old and 140 lbs, I can ride a comfort bike.
We’ve all told you - find a doctor who understands sports medicine.

The average doctor just doesn’t get it.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

I had this issue at 27 when I had a back injury from power lifting. The doctor was like "why would you be dead lifting over 135 pounds?!" I found a new doctor who helped me with recovery exercises and a guide on slowly working back up to the strength I was at.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:56 pm So I s'pose I am a cheap fuck... but this brake lever for my Whorbea is $50, seems pricey https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Deore- ... SwgwlfTEHQ

Is there any difference in these really? I guess just buying this one is the best bet so each side will match. :disgust:
Yeah, you're a cheap fuck. :lol:

Buy the one that matches and :aintcare:
Yeah, I ordered that one. Annoying that there isn't a single one to be found in this country and I have to wait/pay Europe shipping, but :ohwell: I'm glad I have multiple bikes :lolol:

Also, epic rides dude! Love the pictures.

I had a decent chilly ride this morning, it was about 45F starting out, 55F by the time I finished. I had to stop by a friend's office to pick up some coffee he roasted for me, so I just brought a small backpack for that. As such, I wore a coat that can get pretty compact. In the future, I'll skip that, not needed. I was comfy in my short sleeve cycling jersey with a long sleeve running shirt underneath it, then tights over my diaper and hiking socks with my cycling shoes, plus my mountain bike gloves. Even with the hiking socks, my feet were kind of cold but I was otherwise good. The coat came off by mile two or three, so I will skip it next time.

I really don't want to spend $180 on winter shoes, so we'll see about that.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:02 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 pm

Yeah, you're a cheap fuck. :lol:

Buy the one that matches and :aintcare:
Yeah, I ordered that one. Annoying that there isn't a single one to be found in this country and I have to wait/pay Europe shipping, but :ohwell: I'm glad I have multiple bikes :lolol:

I had a decent chilly ride this morning, it was about 45F starting out, 55F by the time I finished. I had to stop by a friend's office to pick up some coffee he roasted for me, so I just brought a small backpack for that. As such, I wore a coat that can get pretty compact. In the future, I'll skip that, not needed. I was comfy in my short sleeve cycling jersey with a long sleeve running shirt underneath it, then tights over my diaper and hiking socks with my cycling shoes, plus my mountain bike gloves. Even with the hiking socks, my feet were kind of cold but I was otherwise good. The coat came off by mile two or three, so I will skip it next time.

Get shoe covers first. Cheap, effective. With a $2 toe warmer thrown in there and thick wool work boot socks, I find they're OK to about 20 degrees.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:27 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:02 pm

Get shoe covers first. Cheap, effective. With a $2 toe warmer thrown in there and thick wool work boot socks, I find they're OK to about 20 degrees.
Yeah, I'll just do that. I don't really think I'll ride sub 30F, there's not much reason to here, and we will have an indoor spin bike soon thanks to the wife, I will use that if I absolutely have to.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:49 pm
troyguitar wrote:I officially hate you. Not just you, but everyone else who can ride a fucking bicycle for an hour. Fuckers.

We’ve all told you - find a doctor who understands sports medicine.

The average doctor just doesn’t get it.
Dr. T. Aints & Dr. B. Utz.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

Road ride yesterday
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Had a big oops this morning... I had a fun ride planned with some hill climbs... well, 3 miles in, I came up to a busy four way stop sign. I had my right foot still clipped in as I was sitting in a line of a couple cars, inching up as we alternated through the stop. Got to the front of the line and hesitated as there was an X3 to my left, wasn't sure if she was going or not, and just toppled over (totally my fault, not the driver's) and twisted my right ankle pretty badly as it was still clipped in. It hurt but I was able to get up after a minute, I pulled my bike off the road and limped around while the pain subsided a bit. I was able to ride home but it hurt a bit and it really hurts to rotate out of being clipped in. I am hoping this subsides in a day or two, I was planning to hit another metric century this weekend.

In positive news though, at least four cars pulled over to ask if I was OK and two offered to give me a ride home, really 5/7 response from everyone who saw it happen. It's nice to see some kindness. While I usually notice the douchebag :truk: bros who honk at me for no reason, they are certainly a tiny minority in the overall populous.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:12 am Had a big oops this morning... I had a fun ride planned with some hill climbs... well, 3 miles in, I came up to a busy four way stop sign. I had my right foot still clipped in as I was sitting in a line of a couple cars, inching up as we alternated through the stop. Got to the front of the line and hesitated as there was an X3 to my left, wasn't sure if she was going or not, and just toppled over (totally my fault, not the driver's) and twisted my right ankle pretty badly as it was still clipped in. It hurt but I was able to get up after a minute, I pulled my bike off the road and limped around while the pain subsided a bit. I was able to ride home but it hurt a bit and it really hurts to rotate out of being clipped in. I am hoping this subsides in a day or two, I was planning to hit another metric century this weekend.

In positive news though, at least four cars pulled over to ask if I was OK and two offered to give me a ride home, really 5/7 response from everyone who saw it happen. It's nice to see some kindness. While I usually notice the douchebag :truk: bros who honk at me for no reason, they are certainly a tiny minority in the overall populous.
Ouch mang, I had that happen to me once when I was in the middle of falling off the rollers. I tried to unclip my left foot quickly, but instead it stayed in and I bit it hard, and twisted my ankle pretty good. Wasn't a real bad sprain or anything, but definitely sore for a couple days.