Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:25 pm Also I cheated today, I put 6 oz of vodka in my Gatorade to cut the sugar. :drunk:
Approve.

Nice ride man.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:50 pm So uhhh, I don't what to make of this, but, combining wind other conditions I went not only further but much faster than I have ever gone. I took 1 day off riding and tried to take the flatter paths. I fucking kicked ass.

https://strava.app.link/PHHPuOJ637
:fuckyeah:

That’s awesome, Troy.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:25 pm Also I cheated today, I put 6 oz of vodka in my Gatorade to cut the sugar. :drunk:
It also helps cut the pain and ache.
Johnny_P

67 today. Great ride out to a local beast of a climb called Welsh Valley. Dropped my sunglasses and had to go back and get them because poor. Then a kick ass descent down Clothier Springs which winds along a creek down the side of the mountain. Easy ride on the river trail back home.

Felt great to get out that way again. All around awesome ride. I need to get up early and do this more often. Usually by the time I’m ready to roll it’s 10:30 and I hit the hottest part of the day while I’m out. I left at 9 today.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:50 pm 67 today. Great ride out to a local beast of a climb called Welsh Valley. Dropped my sunglasses and had to go back and get them because poor. Then a kick ass descent down Clothier Springs which winds along a creek down the side of the mountain. Easy ride on the river trail back home.

Felt great to get out that way again. All around awesome ride. I need to get up early and do this more often. Usually by the time I’m ready to roll it’s 10:30 and I hit the hottest part of the day while I’m out. I left at 9 today.
Dang, 67 at 9 AM? That is :notbad:

We had a nice spring but we're in full on summer mode now, it is hot and humid even at 7 AM. It doesn't feel terrible with the breeze on the bike though. I did 28 miles this morning, not great, not terrible.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:37 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:50 pm 67 today. Great ride out to a local beast of a climb called Welsh Valley. Dropped my sunglasses and had to go back and get them because poor. Then a kick ass descent down Clothier Springs which winds along a creek down the side of the mountain. Easy ride on the river trail back home.

We had a nice spring but we're in full on summer mode now, it is hot and humid even at 7 AM. It doesn't feel terrible with the breeze on the bike though. I did 28 miles this morning, not great, not terrible.
Miles. Although it was only like 75f when I left.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:

It was 57F when I got up today. I said fuck having coffee outside or riding, too cold for me. Gonna have to buy some cold weather gear.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Miles. Although it was only like 75f when I left.
Oh :nice: ! 💪💪
troyguitar

Yeah so my feet and hands were already cold and nose was running this morning and I didn't even go out early, I waited for the sun to be out. It was 65-70 most of the time. What do you guys wear when it's below 70? I'm apparently Florida Man now and uncomfortable if temps are below 80.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:07 pm Yeah so my feet and hands were already cold and nose was running this morning and I didn't even go out early, I waited for the sun to be out. It was 65-70 most of the time. What do you guys wear when it's below 70? I'm apparently Florida Man now and uncomfortable if temps are below 80.
My hands get really cold, I don't think I have great circulation to my fingers.

I wear these below my shorts, so diaper + these + basketball shorts - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

JOYNEE socks pulled up high (love these for riding and running).

I wear my MTB gloves in like 50-60F and below that some winter gloves. Up top just a regular running shirt and then add layers as needed, fleece is :notbad: for riding in like 40-65, sub 40F I have one of those down coats that's really light by warm. I have a Carhart fleece neck gaiter for sub 40ish as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

When I started riding to work in January it was as like 30F on some rides and with all of that, it was... not terrible. Below 30 I will just drive, fuck that.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:When I started riding to work in January it was as like 30F on some rides and with all of that, it was... not terrible. Below 30 I will just drive, fuck that.
Amusingly I still have all of my old snowmobile gear so in theory I'm covered for sub-freezing, but between 30 and 70F I don't have much.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I mostly just :dealwithit: with stuff I already had, like a basic Columbia fleece, perfect outer layer for those 40-60F rides.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:13 pm
D Griff wrote:When I started riding to work in January it was as like 30F on some rides and with all of that, it was... not terrible. Below 30 I will just drive, fuck that.
Amusingly I still have all of my old snowmobile gear so in theory I'm covered for sub-freezing, but between 30 and 70F I don't have much.
That's a pretty wide temperature range.

A vest is a nice thing to have. Pretty versatile. Then things like long sleeve base layers, arm warmers, and leg warmers. If you get the "warmers" they're just like a sleeve or pant leg type spandex addition, so you can wear them with anything. Key to the 40-70 range is layers that you can easily add/remove from as the temp swings throughout the week. Below 40 you start to really bundle up with thermal tights and stuff. Below 30 it's all hands on deck wear whatever you have that is warm and reasonable to bike in.

Also, don't ignore your toes. Thick wool socks are awesome, and you don't need to get cycling specific ones. Shoe covers come in handy when it gets below 40.

Bike clothes are expensive.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm I mostly just :dealwithit: with stuff I already had, like a basic Columbia fleece, perfect outer layer for those 40-60F rides.
Yeah I normally just don't outside if it's not either pleasant or I'm shoveling snow. The last time I really did anything particularly active in sub-70F temps was like 20 years ago. I have nothing that would be considered "activewear" for lower temps, just short-term fashion/casual stuff because I avoid ever being active when it's not nice out.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm I mostly just :dealwithit: with stuff I already had, like a basic Columbia fleece, perfect outer layer for those 40-60F rides.
Basically this. Cool/cold weather riding gear is really nice but you can make do with what you currently own most likely. Although I'm more willing to go ride now that I have warmer cycling specific clothes.
Johnny_P

Oh, also Troy, bright colors. Brighter the better for fall/winter riding. Because cars really don't expect to see a bike on the road. They're not looking for you.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:35 pm
Basically this. Cool/cold weather riding gear is really nice but you can make do with what you currently own most likely. Although I'm more willing to go ride now that I have warmer cycling specific clothes.
What I wear when it's cold is jeans, leather jacket, leather gloves, and a knit hat. None of which is really compatible with being active. I wear just enough to get me from the house to the car or the parking lot to whatever indoor destination I'm going to. I don't spend time outdoors unless it's 80+ outside.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:07 pm Yeah so my feet and hands were already cold and nose was running this morning and I didn't even go out early, I waited for the sun to be out. It was 65-70 most of the time. What do you guys wear when it's below 70? I'm apparently Florida Man now and uncomfortable if temps are below 80.
:sad:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I find 45+ is pretty tolerable if you're doing something like running or biking. The first 10 minutes is abysmal but once warmed up :thisisfine:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:I find 45+ is pretty tolerable if you're doing something like running or biking. The first 10 minutes is abysmal but once warmed up :thisisfine:
30+ mph downhill gets cold quickly. Uphill is ok.
troyguitar

I'm thinking pretty hard about going full 9-speed 11-36 in the back. Dunno how you fuckers are all so damn strong but even 26/32 is hard for me to pedal at any pace when it's a 10+% grade and I'm already tired.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:03 pm I'm thinking pretty hard about going full 9-speed 11-36 in the back. Dunno how you fuckers are all so damn strong but even 26/32 is hard for me to pedal at any pace when it's a 10+% grade and I'm already tired.
:iono: I mean this area is fairly hilly, my rides tend to be 50-75' of gain per mile, but yours seems much hillier. I am also kind of stuck riding closer to the city where I assume more effort is made to flatten things out versus middle of nowhere where you are.
troyguitar

All I can figure is that I'm really really really weak and somehow it has never affected my daily life.
troyguitar

Putting in a harder effort on the climb out of the neighborhood today, I picked up another minute but still needed the 26/32 and was wiped out and had to stop for a breather at the top.

Do you all just chill at like a 40 rpm or less cadence going up steep stuff? I'm trying to maintain more like 80.