Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:34 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:35 am I want to do a long stupid pointless ride.

Either to the Jersey shore and back. Get there early enough to ride the bike on the boardwalk.
Or out to the Reading pagoda and back. Never been to the pagoda.

Both options are 120-140 mile round trips.
I wish I had friends to ride with out here. I'd love to do something like that with a night camping in the middle or something.

There's really no "destinations" around here I can bike to other than non-'VID approved thing like breweries. I really don't miss going to bars and shit at all :doe:
There’s always a destination. Sometimes with me the destination is a trail. Or a bridge. Or a climb. Etc. I never really just ride I always go somewhere.

The Pagoda looks neat. Supposedly an awesome view since it’s built on a mountain side. I think the boardwalk would be more fun though. Get some fries and fried shrimp and just fatty it up. Supposedly you can bring your bike on the NJ Transit train from Atlantic City back to Philly too. So you can really pig the f out and just pass out on the train.

Yeah bars. I only miss getting burgers and fries really. Don’t care about bars so much. But. They’re nice sometimes.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:38 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:06 pm :notbad: :math:

How long do real tires last anyway? My stockers show zero wear after 600ish road miles.
Probably 3k on the Nanos before you see the side knobs start to tear. Can still ride them though. There’s a lot of rubber on them and they wear nicely.

How you liking the velocitas now that you have a few rides on them? I hate the road tires I have, considering changing them out.
So obviously I have a sample size of 2, but of those 2 they're the best tarz EVER MADE BRO. 55 miles on them and no problems, STAGE 2+ tarz are so fast you can't afford not to buy them. Don't forget to go catless. Err, tubeless.

The bike feels awesome on the pavement and feels about the same as before on the gravel. Kind of a handful and floaty but AFAIK that's normal.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:34 am

I wish I had friends to ride with out here. I'd love to do something like that with a night camping in the middle or something.

There's really no "destinations" around here I can bike to other than non-'VID approved thing like breweries. I really don't miss going to bars and shit at all :doe:
There’s always a destination. Sometimes with me the destination is a trail. Or a bridge. Or a climb. Etc. I never really just ride I always go somewhere.

The Pagoda looks neat. Supposedly an awesome view since it’s built on a mountain side. I think the boardwalk would be more fun though. Get some fries and fried shrimp and just fatty it up. Supposedly you can bring your bike on the NJ Transit train from Atlantic City back to Philly too. So you can really pig the f out and just pass out on the train.

Yeah bars. I only miss getting burgers and fries really. Don’t care about bars so much. But. They’re nice sometimes.
Up here I want to go to the wineries/restaurants on the lakes and drink/eat lunch on the lake, generally 25-75 miles each way to get to any of them :doe:

My favorite winery is a ~70 mile round trip, would like to make it this year. Dunno if they're even open yet though, :thankstrump:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:59 pm First ride in a loooooong time. Was nice and so much better than a stationary bike. It looked like the trail ended in manayunk though. Or at least I couldn't find where it picked back up. :disappoint:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
It goes on street for a portion until you get past the movie theater and bus depot at the Wissahickon trailhead.
Ah. I'll look around some more for next time. It seemed to stop right at manayunk brewing.

Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
It goes on street for a portion until you get past the movie theater and bus depot at the Wissahickon trailhead.
Ah. I'll look around some more for next time. It seemed to stop right at manayunk brewing.

Yeah you have to share Main St with the cars
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:07 pm

Up here I want to go to the wineries/restaurants on the lakes and drink/eat lunch on the lake, generally 25-75 miles each way to get to any of them :doe:

My favorite winery is a ~70 mile round trip, would like to make it this year. Dunno if they're even open yet though, :thankstrump:
That sounds excellent
troyguitar

Got out for a little bit harder ride this morning and, yeah, this thing is awesome now. It would be nice to have an even bigger top gear, but I think that 43 mph is probably already faster than I have any business going when I have no idea how to handle a bike.

Related to that: the brakes still need some help now that I'm going faster. The rotors are completely flat when off the bike, but both of them have a spot where they drag/squeak while rolling unless I adjust the pads so far out that I can't stop properly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:word: that sounds 5/7.

A bite to eat on the water is cool. It's probably achievable here on the lake or Whitewater Center with a similar ride. I just think that sounds a lot more fun with someone else. :tits: will never ride over 20 miles I don't think.

I have eaten at restaurants alone enough in my life with all of the work travel, no desire to do that if I'm paying with my own money, really. I guess I could get Taco Bell and eat it at a lakefront park or something by myself.

:foreveralone:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:31 am

:word: that sounds 5/7.

A bite to eat on the water is cool. It's probably achievable here on the lake or Whitewater Center with a similar ride. I just think that sounds a lot more fun with someone else. :tits: will never ride over 20 miles I don't think.

I have eaten at restaurants alone enough in my life with all of the work travel, no desire to do that if I'm paying with my own money, really. I guess I could get Taco Bell and eat it at a lakefront park or something by myself.

:foreveralone:
:word:

Same deal here really. :tits: has a bike but I don't see her ever riding it here, the hills are just plain too hard even with MTB gearing. They're hard for me and I'm waaaaaay stronger than her. We tried going the 1 mile down the hill to town last year for a drink, and then she had to walk the bike back up the hill to come home.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I need to spend some time on my rear derailleur; still not shifting well after playing with the barrel adjuster on a few rides.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:11 am Got out for a little bit harder ride this morning and, yeah, this thing is awesome now. It would be nice to have an even bigger top gear, but I think that 43 mph is probably already faster than I have any business going when I have no idea how to handle a bike.

Related to that: the brakes still need some help now that I'm going faster. The rotors are completely flat when off the bike, but both of them have a spot where they drag/squeak while rolling unless I adjust the pads so far out that I can't stop properly.
#1 - make sure the calipers are centered on the rotors. What brakes do you have?

#2 - you can use a small adjustable wrench (make sure you clean it with rubbing alcohol first) to true the rotor side-to-side.
I haven't looked at it yet but they're tektro lyra mechanicals. I don't remember the caliper position being adjustable, maybe just via the slop in the mounting points?

In other news, gravel has gone full circle: there's now a full suspension gravel bike.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/nine ... L_CAR_OVER
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Well I finally had time or atleast prioritized time on DFD for the first time in couple months or so. So for those on dad snap and ig, I partially "restored" my 2 bikes that pretty much rot for 15 years.

Deets:
Bike numba 1 (uncles red bike):
- All hard suspension, so basically like a road bike structure wise, but wider tires that can tackle on gravel. (bike snobs may help me out on that)
- Has 21 speed Shimano gears (3 front, 7 back).
- Being a 1990 bike, no disc brakes
- changed tires and did brakes, gears worked fine
Bike numba 2 (Goldie one, what I call my gravel trail attacker):
- Everything is pretty much shot on that bike
- Barely used it anyway so :aintcare: but might consider making a project out of it.
- Did not change tires and probably won't do it until one point in the future, who knows

So far, Jesus Christ I'm out of shape, I felt like I did leg day and I know for sure I did not experience those when I was younger climbing up hills. But still love it (particularly the red one), rides great, not exactly comfortable but also not terrible either, gears work just like it used to.

Might be a :yeahok: but :ohwell:

Also the orange basic trek mall crawler still sitting for a while, but kept having brake issues, barely had time to ride it for the last year or 2. Might thinking about selling it, but that depends.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

32 miles today on the road since everything is super soggy. Man I forgot how much more boring road riding is than trail.

Rear brake wasn’t working the whole ride. I had maybe 20% power out of it. Need new pads.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:26 am I haven't looked at it yet but they're tektro lyra mechanicals. I don't remember the caliper position being adjustable, maybe just via the slop in the mounting points?

In other news, gravel has gone full circle: there's now a full suspension gravel bike.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/nine ... L_CAR_OVER
Overkill unless you're riding some really fucking rough gravel.

Anyways, if you loosen the caliper mounting bolts a smidge so that the caliper moves about freely, you can then go through steps to center the caliper on the rotor so it doesn't rub.

With Avid BB7s, you'd typically tighten the inner pad about 5 clicks, and the outer pad adjustment until it stopped, then tighten down the caliper bolts. Should be similar for your brakes, as long as you have inner and outer pad adjustment.

With a dual piston hydraulic caliper, I just loosen the caliper bolts and squeeze the lever so it centers the caliper, then tighten the bolts down.
These are single pistons and only the inactive pad is adjustable, apparently you have to adjust both the caliper position and the active pad position via moving the whole caliper. Kind of a PITA but I think I got it a lot better now. It's raining all night :doe: so I'll test it in the morning.

I'm kind of thinking about bumping the rest of my shit up to 9-speed to properly match my cranks/chain, have everything actually running within spec, and gain a few more teeth in the rear via an 11-36 instead of my 11-32. Would never need to check the elevations before trying a road, just go ride.

I've never ridden a "good" bike to know how the drivetrains are supposed to be though. Maybe my hybrid hack job is actually running perfectly.
Johnny_P

I'm glad you didn't just give up on biking, Troy :wub:
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:09 pm Well I finally had time or atleast prioritized time on DFD for the first time in couple months or so. So for those on dad snap and ig, I partially "restored" my 2 bikes that pretty much rot for 15 years.

Deets:
- All hard suspension, so basically like a road bike structure wise, but wider tires that can tackle on gravel. (bike snobs may help me out on that)
- Barely used it anyway so :aintcare: but might consider making a project out of it.
- Did not change tires and probably won't do it until one point in the future, who knows

So far, Jesus Christ I'm out of shape, I felt like I did leg day and I know for sure I did not experience those when I was younger climbing up hills. But still love it (particularly the red one), rides great, not exactly comfortable but also not terrible either, gears work just like it used to.

Also the orange basic trek mall crawler still sitting for a while, but kept having brake issues, barely had time to ride it for the last year or 2. Might thinking about selling it, but that depends.
Pics of the red one? What is it? Sounds awesome.
troyguitar

We made a run to the dump today and got rid of enough shit that I was finally able to uncover the wife's bike and see what's on it - she's got a circa 2005 Giant cruiser with disc brakes and shimano alivio 8-speed stuff. 28/38/48 front and 11-30 rear.

I think that I might be able to get her out if I do the same kind of thing I did on my bike. Put smaller cranks on and maybe a bigger cassette. It should be able to run a 22/32/42 up front and 11-34 rear.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:09 pm Well I finally had time or atleast prioritized time on DFD for the first time in couple months or so. So for those on dad snap and ig, I partially "restored" my 2 bikes that pretty much rot for 15 years.

Deets:

In4pics
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I got my bike back with the new rear wheel. I’ll go out for a longer ride tonight or tomorrow but the front derailleur still doesn’t work. At least now I know it wasn’t just me.

:ohwell: I’ve kind of cooled off on the idea of buying a new bike. No inventory anywhere and it’s just a pain in the ass to try to go to stores and shit with the ‘VID. I’ll probably just keep riding my poverty spec six speed indefinitely.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:10 pm

Deets:

Pics of the red one? What is it? Sounds awesome.
you saw it on insta one time. I'll start an overall vehicle thread including my car and bikes and just random shit posting haha
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar

So uhhh, I don't what to make of this, but, combining wind other conditions I went not only further but much faster than I have ever gone. I took 1 day off riding and tried to take the flatter paths. I fucking kicked ass.

https://strava.app.link/PHHPuOJ637
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:50 pm So uhhh, I don't what to make of this, but, combining wind other conditions I went not only further but much faster than I have ever gone. I took 1 day off riding and tried to take the flatter paths. I fucking kicked ass.

:nice:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:50 pm So uhhh, I don't what to make of this, but, combining wind other conditions I went not only further but much faster than I have ever gone. I took 1 day off riding and tried to take the flatter paths. I fucking kicked ass.

Nice job!
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:I’m stoked that :mahtroy: has finally caught the stoke.
Today was the first time that I actually felt good for most of the ride, only took almost 1000 miles and a year of fucking with it. No clue how anyone just jumps on a bike and is immediately all :fuckyeah:
troyguitar

Also I cheated today, I put 6 oz of vodka in my Gatorade to cut the sugar. :drunk: