Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I've been getting decently quick on my steel boat anchor. So apparently it was just winter slumber that I had to burn off.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:38 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:24 pm New Specialized Diverge dropped.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a3 ... ge-review/

Hydraulic damper on the futureshock front suspension system. SWAT box frame opening so you can stuff a hoagie in your down tube. Fits 700x45 and 27x2.1 tires. Sounds fucking RAD. Only problem is the bottom bracket is entirely too low at 85mm drop. I'd bash my chainrings on everything. Womp womp. But killer bike if you aren't riding singletrack and instead routinely slay washboard gravel roads.

I mean, it’s a gravel bike, not a mountain bike. :lol:
Gravel has many meanings. This gravel bike is more road oriented. Others are more mountain capable. The stuff I like to ride requires a more mountain capable ride with geo more in line with a CX bike.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:44 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:21 am

Gravel has many meanings. This gravel bike is more road oriented. Others are more mountain capable. The stuff I like to ride requires a more mountain capable ride with geo more in line with a CX bike.
Ehhhh.

What you're looking for is more akin to what used to be called a monstercross bike.

gRaVeL bikes are essentially the Alltracks of road bikes. Quick enough to ride the road, but not aggro enough for actual trails in most cases. I built the Sacklist in mind with going fast on road and gravel (maaaaaaybe pick through some rough doubletrack if I have to), not bombing trails. It's a bit harsh on stuff like that.

You need a 650B cross bike with a 1x drivetrain, essentially. High BB position and small front ring, and thicc tires that still roll.

I found a neat bike company that seems right up your alley: https://www.rodeo-labs.com/
Ok
For what it’s worth, I never said there was anything necessarily wrong with the design of the new Diverge just that with the low BB it won’t fit my personal use case.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:08 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:06 am

Ok
For what it’s worth, I never said there was anything necessarily wrong with the design of the new Diverge just that with the low BB it won’t fit my personal use case.
I think it's a great bike - you just have a very specific set of needs for your bike. Being able to shred Wiss/Belmont is not within the normal range for most gravel bikes.
Right. Which is why it’s great that there are so many different bikes on the market with multiple different takes on the same subset of riding. The stigmata for example has a BB that’s 15 mm higher. Same general use case. Different take on the approach.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

My bike has a 65mm bb drop and fits fat tires for $500.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:32 pm My bike has a 65mm bb drop and fits fat tires for $500.
:wrong:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Starting build #2.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:19 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:32 pm My bike has a 65mm bb drop and fits fat tires for $500.
For a first bike, it’s the right amount of money for you to spend.
I mean the hardware is all crap but the geometry seems to be exactly what :wasteful: desires and you can get it in his preferred steel with decent components for a lot less than $3k or whatever.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... -bikes.htm

troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:31 pm I mean the hardware is all crap but the geometry seems to be exactly what :wasteful: desires and you can get it in his preferred steel with decent components for a lot less than $3k or whatever.

And it’s great for you.

Not for me. ;)
Sorry for trying to participate.
Johnny_P

There's nothing wrong with BD bikes, technically. Designs are copied not innovated, no R&D, IP likely copied from other brands because they're made in China. But made alongside Konas and Treks and Commencal and such in the exact same factory. So take that how you will.

Price points are great, and they offer a lot for the money. Where they fall short is supposedly customer service and lack of LBS support. If there are no LBS near you then whatever.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:53 pm Flat bar version sounds cool. I still haven't been on my bike since October :doe: so :whocares:
This is the worst spring I remember in years.... Troyluck is a real thing LOL
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:21 am There's nothing wrong with BD bikes, technically. Designs are copied not innovated, no R&D, IP likely copied from other brands because they're made in China. But made alongside Konas and Treks and Commencal and such in the exact same factory. So take that how you will.

Price points are great, and they offer a lot for the money. Where they fall short is supposedly customer service and lack of LBS support. If there are no LBS near you then whatever.
Man... I have really tried to support local bike shops but when their margin is 100-200% higher on everything, it's just kind of greedy.

Like, my $60 Jernson order recently... I cross shopped local and it's $200 at every place. I'm sorry, but fuck those guys.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Trying to work my way up... tough to find time to ride right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:44 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:21 am There's nothing wrong with BD bikes, technically. Designs are copied not innovated, no R&D, IP likely copied from other brands because they're made in China. But made alongside Konas and Treks and Commencal and such in the exact same factory. So take that how you will.

Man... I have really tried to support local bike shops but when their margin is 100-200% higher on everything, it's just kind of greedy.

Like, my $60 Jernson order recently... I cross shopped local and it's $200 at every place. I'm sorry, but fuck those guys.
Yeah, fuck small business.

Luckily my new helmet was $15 cheaper than Amazon at my LBS and I grabbed a couple new water bottles while I was there. :troywax:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:54 am

Yeah, fuck small business.

Luckily my new helmet was $15 cheaper than Amazon at my LBS and I grabbed a couple new water bottles while I was there. :troywax:
I've been supporting many during the :bs: but the bike shops here in particular are a fucking ripoff. Like, am I willing to pay $20 for a drill bit locally I could get online for $16? Absolutely. If it was $50, nah.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Im with you on this. I understand a LBS has to make some money... and if they have it in stock I don’t mind paying a bit of a premium to have it RIGHT NOW. But when the part I need is 30+% more expensive and they still have to order it for delivery in 3-5 days... it’s disappointing.

The bike shop down the street from me once charged me $12 for a shift cable, no name brand, shit quality. I just bought a 10 pack of Shimano cables for $10, in retail packaging.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

70-75 miles on the bike.

It's nice. Few things have happened since getting it which possibly just need to be re-adjusted. Crank stripped out on the first ride and they replaced it while I waited and apparently adjusted some things but didn't notice until the ride (after they closed) that it wasn't doing before; there are now creaks when trying to pedal with some force which is highly annoying, and if you're in the larger cog (which I normally am...gotta get these quads bulky son) and in any gear other than dead center of the rear cassette it sounds like its riding the front derailleur and will often have trouble getting into the final/fastest gear.

Had a good ride in the cold on Saturday but caught a rouge plastic bag that wrapped around the rear wheel/brake setup and left me with only front brakes so I had to call it quits on that ride after 18 miles since I couldn't get it figured out on the side of the road. Turns out after I removed the bag there was a small balled of piece of it preventing the rear pads from squeezing together in the caliper...frustrating.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:34 am
troyguitar wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:53 pm Flat bar version sounds cool. I still haven't been on my bike since October :doe: so :whocares:
:sad:

Odd thing is, it makes for a :fuckyeah: spring here. Normally spring is about two weeks then it goes full on hot as fuck mode, this has been a solid two straight months of nice.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:21 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:34 am

Odd thing is, it makes for a :fuckyeah: spring here. Normally spring is about two weeks then it goes full on hot as fuck mode, this has been a solid two straight months of nice.
Enjoy it while it lasts, Troy is considering moving down there :lolol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:trollface:

:wub: :mahtroy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:21 am

Enjoy it while it lasts, Troy is considering moving down there :lolol:
Bringing dat anti - :alpo: weather with him :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

3rdgenfan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 am Image

70-75 miles on the bike.

It's nice. Few things have happened since getting it which possibly just need to be re-adjusted. Crank stripped out on the first ride and they replaced it while I waited and apparently adjusted some things but didn't notice until the ride (after they closed) that it wasn't doing before; there are now creaks when trying to pedal with some force which is highly annoying, and if you're in the larger cog (which I normally am...gotta get these quads bulky son) and in any gear other than dead center of the rear cassette it sounds like its riding the front derailleur and will often have trouble getting into the final/fastest gear.

Had a good ride in the cold on Saturday but caught a rouge plastic bag that wrapped around the rear wheel/brake setup and left me with only front brakes so I had to call it quits on that ride after 18 miles since I couldn't get it figured out on the side of the road. Turns out after I removed the bag there was a small balled of piece of it preventing the rear pads from squeezing together in the caliper...frustrating.
Dang man, that is a bummer but I'm sure the kinks will get resolved and it seems like an awesome bike. :jelly:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:39 pm Enjoy it while it lasts, Troy is considering moving down there Imageol:
Bringing dat anti - :alpo: weather with him Imageol:
:notwrong:

Realistically there have been probably 5 or so days this year when I could have been on the bike and only been cold vs frozen. I've just had no motivation to get on the thing. I've lost like 12 lbs from diet :doe: so maybe I'll hate riding less whenever I try again. Pretty hard to get excited about this shit even if it's starting to get dry-ish:

Johnny_P

I understand this and largely feel the same way on parts. Local shops have helped me out immensely on warranty work in the past. I like having the support if I need it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:33 pm

I understand this and largely feel the same way on parts. Local shops have helped me out immensely on warranty work in the past. I like having the support if I need it.
:word: I get it a lot more from a service perspective. I'm sure I'll take my bike to them sometimes for that, but glad I learned a bit more bike DIY during the quarantine as well.