Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: SdKfz 181

Johnny_P wrote:
Hansgustaf wrote:
Im not sure what the hell went wrong. He was pushing off in the bottom of the berms at the wrong time or something - i really don't understand it - i have never burped air and I run super lower pressures.
A friend of mine burped a front tire while doing a stoppie, and promptly crashed.

It was :lolol: worthy.
I like this.
my name is yan but i go by igor and i live under teh stairs
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
Hansgustaf wrote:
Im not sure what the hell went wrong. He was pushing off in the bottom of the berms at the wrong time or something - i really don't understand it - i have never burped air and I run super lower pressures.
Isn't that how he biffed himself up when we last all rode together?

Dat front tire burp.
I think the crank thing crashed him last time. I'm not really sure. :iono:
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dead in here?
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Where is @fledonfoot ?

When we riding @nox ?
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote:
Hansgustaf wrote:dead in here?
I was too busy :fap: to bike frames last night.

Thanks @fledonfoot.
Which juans?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Which juans?
He was sending me links to leftover 2015 and 2016 Niner RIP and JET9 frames on backcountry. :jizz:
:notbad: would hoon either one
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I'm torn between buying a 2016 leftover Niner Rip Carbon and building it up myself or going with a 2017 Giant Trance off the shelf, switching over the SLX brakes from my BMC and converting to tubeless.

Custom build Niner will probably end up around $2200. I'd have to negotiate down the Trance from $2700.

Also, I'd have to go with a medium Niner frame due to availability and I'm basically at the high end of recommended sizing on that. Also, not sure if I want to go 27.5 or 29.

Given I'm keeping the BMC either way, I might just go nuts with the Niner.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Man, my dad has a 2015 Trance, and it's fantastic. My 2010 has been bomb-proof. I love that line.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:Man, my dad has a 2015 Trance, and it's fantastic. My 2010 has been bomb-proof. I love that line.
:dat:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote:Man, my dad has a 2015 Trance, and it's fantastic. My 2010 has been bomb-proof. I love that line.
:notsure:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
:notsure:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: :notsure:
:lolol:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote:I'll likely do a Trek Fuel EX next. :iono:

I'd love to build another Niner doe.
Johnny_P

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5866698230.html

Gorgeous. Good price for a hand built Serotta bike that was kept in fab condition. No decals, just candy apple red. :jimp:
Get that, put a new Campy Veloce (silver color!!) groupset on it and yer done. Would be a rocket.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm really iffy on what I want to do here.

The Niner Rip Carbon frame being a medium has me hesitant to pull the trigger. I've specced out a complete build to full Shimano 1x11 XT M8000 including brakes, Stans Flow wheels w/ SLX hubs, a RockShox Revelation RLT 2014 leftover fork, tires, headset, stem, bar, grips and post to $2475.

I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on the frame - I'm just not sure if it's going to be *slightly* too small or not.

I'm thinking about a Santa Cruz Tallboy, because it can be run as both a 29er and a 27.5+ bike with a "quick" suspension change. I like that, but I take a hit on equipment - $2700 has me with a RockShox Sektor RL fork, SRAM NX drivetrain and a few other compromises. Specced out like the Niner, it'd be a $5k bike.

Not sure.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote:I'm really iffy on what I want to do here.

The Niner Rip Carbon frame being a medium has me hesitant to pull the trigger. I've specced out a complete build to full Shimano 1x11 XT M8000 including brakes, Stans Flow wheels w/ SLX hubs, a RockShox Revelation RLT 2014 leftover fork, tires, headset, stem, bar, grips and post to $2475.

I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on the frame - I'm just not sure if it's going to be *slightly* too small or not.

I'm thinking about a Santa Cruz Tallboy, because it can be run as both a 29er and a 27.5+ bike with a "quick" suspension change. I like that, but I take a hit on equipment - $2700 has me with a RockShox Sektor RL fork, SRAM NX drivetrain and a few other compromises. Specced out like the Niner, it'd be a $5k bike.

Not sure.
I'd try and do better than a Sektor. That's like putting steelies on a Ferrari. Revelation/Reba is alright. Pike would be tits.

Niner Rip vs Tallboy.... I'd say it comes down to how they fit you and what you connect better with. But of course, boutique brand, can't find em to ride em.

IDK man. This is why I'm never opposed to big box bikes. Maybe find out what sort of return policy the bikes have? Or check the fit specs from the mfr like reach and stack, and compare those to Trek/Spesh/Giant or whatever and test ride those to see sizing differences and ultimately have that help you decide what size to get.

You can usually make a smaller bike fit a larger person. Way harder to go backwards.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The Sektor is what comes on a similar ~$2500ish build level on a pre-built SC. The frame's all alloy, too.

It's a tough comparison because the Niner is basically a custom build with a closeout frame that's >50% off MSRP, and the way I've built that up is probably to a $5k level bike thanks to sourcing wheels thru a great ebay store, a new leftover fork on closeout and shipping the drivetrain and other parts from a cheap store in the UK.

The similar Tallboy spec'd out like the self-built Niner is $4699 with a carbon frame.

Also, I won't be able to ride the Niner Rip until I build it.
Last edited by fledonfoot on Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: I'd try and do better than a Sektor. That's like putting steelies on a Ferrari. Revelation/Reba is alright. Pike would be tits.

Niner Rip vs Tallboy.... I'd say it comes down to how they fit you and what you connect better with. But of course, boutique brand, can't find em to ride em.

IDK man. This is why I'm never opposed to big box bikes. Maybe find out what sort of return policy the bikes have? Or check the fit specs from the mfr like reach and stack, and compare those to Trek/Spesh/Giant or whatever and test ride those to see sizing differences and ultimately have that help you decide what size to get.

You can usually make a smaller bike fit a larger person. Way harder to go backwards.
Yeah, the Sektor was why I :nope: on the 5010. Just didn't match the suppleness of the rear shock.

I'm gonna build something in the spring if I earn some money this winter. We'll see.
Yeah that would be a non-starter for me really.
Fox Vanilla or Revelation/Reba or bust.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Also, the Tallboy comes w/ 29er wheels, and I think I want to go 27.5+
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote:Also, the Tallboy comes w/ 29er wheels, and I think I want to go 27.5+
A lot of bikes are convertible between the two now.
27.5+ is kind of dump truck sized tires doe. My 29er does pretty well :iono:
Even just 27.5 felt pretty damn good with rear suspension.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I think I'm in my usual driving myself crazy spot of overthinking things now.

I have a fully capable, pretty damn lightweight 26" BMC FS rig with a new Fox Float on the rear, tubeless DT Swiss wheels, and just got it dialed in with a new wider flat bar and a shorter stem. I should really just keep that.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
fledonfoot wrote:I think I'm in my usual driving myself crazy spot of overthinking things now.

I have a fully capable, pretty damn lightweight 26" BMC FS rig with a new Fox Float on the rear, tubeless DT Swiss wheels, and just got it dialed in with a new wider flat bar and a shorter stem. I should really just keep that.
you're not helping
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I have a 12 giant reign. It has been great. :dat: maestro link rear :doe:
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Bike chat got real in the last page. This is like some sit at the bar over a beer bike style banter.

:megusta:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote:I think I'm in my usual driving myself crazy spot of overthinking things now.

Orrrr, you "leave" it outside one night... I grab it, and then you need a new bike.

:trollface: