Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote:Might go to the Philly bike expo tomorrow

:whocares:
It's a good thing I found out that was a thing on Sunday at 5:58.

I've got the itch for a new bike.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:Might go to the Philly bike expo tomorrow

:whocares:

Got $3500 burning a hole in your pocket for a custom built frame? If not then this wasn't relevant.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
fledonfoot wrote:

Got $3500 burning a hole in your pocket for a custom built frame? If not then this wasn't relevant.
I'm thinking about $2500 all in. I might build one up from scratch.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Got $3500 burning a hole in your pocket for a custom built frame? If not then this wasn't relevant.
I'm thinking about $2500 all in. I might build one up from scratch.
MTB or road?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MTB.

I think it's going to wind up 1x11 XT, 27.5+, and a solid 5-6 inches of front and rear travel
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:I need to spend more time on a 27.5" bike and see if that's really the direction I wanna go next.

The 5010 felt so small compared to the Niner.

That's the thing. I think I have the TrailFox dialed in right now. The wider flat bar on the lower rise/shorter stem has really slowed down the twitchiness. The head angle is super steep and it's nice to have it finally smoothed out. The bike feels surprisingly light for what it is. After I threw on the Fox rear shock it's buttery smooth. It's basically a full SLX 26" FS XC bike.

Maybe I should do polar opposite and go FS 29er. I want a longer travel ~30lb trail/enduro bike that might do somewhat OK at a bike park here and there.
Johnny_P

Giant Trance 2 is a great value in the 30 lb trail bike category. Fox 34, SLX, aluminum frame for $2700.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:Giant Trance 2 is a great value in the 30 lb trail bike category. Fox 34, SLX, aluminum frame for $2700.
Shhhh. Don't tell him that, he'll go buy one.

They are pretty solid, doe...

If only all of the fucking local demo days were when I'm off. I wanna ride some other bikes.
I don't find out about them until it's too late and I see an Instagram from the shop with a :fuckyeah: picture of a ton of kickass bikes waiting to be hooned on and "we're out here till 3!"
Look at clock, it's 1:00, no fucking way will I get there with time to actually ride anything. Sigh.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote:
[user not found] wrote:I need to spend more time on a 27.5" bike and see if that's really the direction I wanna go next.

That's the thing. I think I have the TrailFox dialed in right now. The wider flat bar on the lower rise/shorter stem has really slowed down the twitchiness. The head angle is super steep and it's nice to have it finally smoothed out. The bike feels surprisingly light for what it is. After I threw on the Fox rear shock it's buttery smooth. It's basically a full SLX 26" FS XC bike.

Maybe I should do polar opposite and go FS 29er. I want a longer travel ~30lb trail/enduro bike that might do somewhat OK at a bike park here and there.
I want a full susser :(

I should probably develop a bike plan this winter. Like, what to get rid of, what to pick up, what bikes need what, etc.

Cervelo: Needs a wheelset, and I wouldn't be opposed to a groupset upgrade. Worth it? Or :plac:

Havnoonian: Needs not much, been toying with new ramz because the current ones are those bullshitty ceramic coated 90s specials that make a lot of noise and don't stop you. So ramz maybe? But also been toying with selling it because I don't ride it much. It's nice AF doe, good cruiser. I dunno.

Trek 29er hardtail: At minimum needs a rear hub. The rear got trashed unfortunately because the cup and cone backed off and allowed a bunch of slop in the bearings, and I kept going HAM without noticing. I'd love to switch it from 3x9 to 1x11 with a new XT group which is like $350. It's a good bike, I like it. Would like FS rig, but I don't ride that one much TBH and need to ride it to/from the trailhead so FS might be a disaster. The fork is a nice Fox Vanilla, the frame is a halfway decent aluminum one. Would be worth upgrading but it will never be lightweight.

So I'm thinking get rid of the Havnoonian. Get a townie beater $300 30-lb hipster fixie made out of gas tubes. And then get an adventure bike cyclocross thing. Get the Cervelo a new wheelset. Get the 29er the groupset and wheelset? Or get new hardtail 29er if going all out like that? Dunno....

That's a lot of $$$ doe....
lagunasecaballs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: All the E46 M3s

My bike:

Older pic but still mostly the same setup minus different tars.
Husbrandon
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: your mom

Love my Giant. Haven't had the need for any upgrades since it was built.

Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: SdKfz 181

shut up
my name is yan but i go by igor and i live under teh stairs
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

lagunasecaballs wrote:My bike:

Older pic but still mostly the same setup minus different tars.
I like giants!

2012 giant reign.

Husbrandon
Spinbait
Spinbait

I had a 26, then moved to 29. the 29 felt like driving a truck on the trails so i scaled back to 27.5 and it feels the best to me. I like to pop the bike around and feel nimble.
Johnny_P

edit: nevermind :readthethread:
Johnny_P

Husbrandon wrote:I had a 26, then moved to 29. the 29 felt like driving a truck on the trails so i scaled back to 27.5 and it feels the best to me. I like to pop the bike around and feel nimble.
How tall are you?
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Husbrandon wrote:I had a 26, then moved to 29. the 29 felt like driving a truck on the trails so i scaled back to 27.5 and it feels the best to me. I like to pop the bike around and feel nimble.
I think next spring when I do a new bike I will do 27.5 - still unsure what but thinking Yeti.
Johnny_P

Hansgustaf wrote:
I think next spring when I do a new bike I will do 27.5 - still unsure what but thinking Yeti.
Nice. Who sells Yetis in this area, Guys? I know they carry Santa Cruz now.

Honestly... the big box brands have real nice FS bikes anymore. Trek Fuel, Spesh Stumpy, Giant Trance/Anthem.... all great rides, and most are priced really attractively. Good warranties. Good parts spec at the price, etc.

Paint on most suck but that is what it is.
Johnny_P

Question for you FS peeps.... Most FS bikes can only carry one water bottle anymore. What do? Just man up with one bottle, or ride with a pack?

I generally can't stand the pack. They move around and hit my helmet when I jump logs and shit, annoying AF. My pack is an Osprey with a waist strap and it doesn't do shit to prevent the helmet slamming.
Husbrandon
Spinbait
Spinbait

Johnny_P wrote:
How tall are you?
5'10"
Husbrandon
Spinbait
Spinbait

Johnny_P wrote:Question for you FS peeps.... Most FS bikes can only carry one water bottle anymore. What do? Just man up with one bottle, or ride with a pack?

I generally can't stand the pack. They move around and hit my helmet when I jump logs and shit, annoying AF. My pack is an Osprey with a waist strap and it doesn't do shit to prevent the helmet slamming.
summer i stick to the bottle. cooler months i use the pack.
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Hansgustaf wrote:
Nice. Who sells Yetis in this area, Guys? I know they carry Santa Cruz now.

Honestly... the big box brands have real nice FS bikes anymore. Trek Fuel, Spesh Stumpy, Giant Trance/Anthem.... all great rides, and most are priced really attractively. Good warranties. Good parts spec at the price, etc.

Paint on most suck but that is what it is.
I really agree with what you wrote actually. I would not be opposed to a new Giant - they are nice as shit! I was thinking something a little more boutique only because this may be the last new bike I buy so I am going to spend more and get something crazy nice.

that being said - community bikes and boards in philly carries yeti.
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:Question for you FS peeps.... Most FS bikes can only carry one water bottle anymore. What do? Just man up with one bottle, or ride with a pack?

I ride without water. or when it is cooler I will wear a pack.

In the summer I wear a tank top and jorts - full bro status.

this time of year I wear volcom pants and a jersey / sometimes ems shell over that.

no gloves, hate gloves.
lagunasecaballs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: All the E46 M3s

Hansgustaf wrote:

this time of year I wear volcom pants and a jersey / sometimes ems shell over that.

no gloves, hate gloves.
I would die.
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

lagunasecaballs wrote:
Hansgustaf wrote:

no gloves, hate gloves.
I would die.
I ride to have fun and do all the obstacles, I'm not the fastest.