Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:02 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 am I think I'm in the best shape of my life at #thisis30.

Looking forward to the move and busting my 1984 Raleigh road bike back out and then complaining about how it sucks in this thread.
:nice:

Can't wait for some vintage steel choadie content.
:fuckyeah:

I'll probably just ride it locally to run errands and shit but dem suicide shifters are as smooth as a spandex bro's legs.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 am I think I'm in the best shape of my life at #thisis30.

Looking forward to the move and busting my 1984 Raleigh road bike back out and then complaining about how it sucks in this thread.
Pics
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:24 pm

Pics
It's at my folk's house right now... I'm not gonna grab it until we have the :haus: but I'll post then.

.... or did you mean of me in the best shape of my life???? :hubba:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:37 pm Image
:hubba:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:37 pm Image
:fap:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Six Mile ride with fled and wife on Saturday was cold. More people out than I was expecting, but gave me an idea for what to wear in that weather. Pretty sure I had a mild case of pneumonia or something on Sunday :lol:
:truk: was showing 37 degrees when we finished up. 2020 :taco: is kinda everything I want my Colorado to be. :jelly: may do something stupid next year.

Dropper worked well in those temps, even being full hydraulic.

The Big Carbonzo is ridiculous and stupid and I absolutely love the thing.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:33 pm Six Mile ride with fled and wife on Saturday was cold. More people out than I was expecting, but gave me an idea for what to wear in that weather. Pretty sure I had a mild case of pneumonia or something on Sunday :lol:
:truk: was showing 37 degrees when we finished up. 2020 :taco: is kinda everything I want my Colorado to be. :jelly: may do something stupid next year.

More deets on the big carbonerzer? Why do you like this more than the full squish BMC?

Also, :jelly: I didn't get to ride with you guys. I was out farting around ALL FUCKING DAY on a gravel ride as the sweep man so slow as balls with people that couldn't ride over any size obstacles. By all day I mean literally 8:30 AM to 5 PM. 55 miles, 9 MPH moving average. Kill me.
Johnny_P

I also really like Fled's :taco: mobile. Years back, before I bought the STI, I test drove a handful of Toyota Tacomas. 2010-2012 era. Almost bought a crew cab short bed 4x4 TuRD Off Road. Probably should have. They have a great NFG attitude about them.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:37 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:33 pm Six Mile ride with fled and wife on Saturday was cold. More people out than I was expecting, but gave me an idea for what to wear in that weather. Pretty sure I had a mild case of pneumonia or something on Sunday :lol:

More deets on the big carbonerzer? Why do you like this more than the full squish BMC?

Also, :jelly: I didn't get to ride with you guys. I was out farting around ALL FUCKING DAY on a gravel ride as the sweep man so slow as balls with people that couldn't ride over any size obstacles. By all day I mean literally 8:30 AM to 5 PM. 55 miles, 9 MPH moving average. Kill me.
:balls: dude.

Carbonzo has slacker geo so I feel like I fit in the bike instead of on top of it. Far less twitchy and the 2.8s are fun.
I just feel comfortable on the bike, makes me want to do stupid things, I feel like my riding gets better riding it.

I’ve put a carbon riser bar with the updated dropper lever (stock was the plunger), and run Shimano Saint pedals.
Johnny_P

https://www.strava.com/activities/2869844152/

IDK if you guys can see that. But that's what I did on Saturday. 55 mile ride on the gravel bike. This was an event that my team hosted. As such, we had one leader, and two sweep guys. One of which being me. One rider had a severe mechanical issue where her derailleur SHEARED THE FUCK OFF THE BIKE COMPLETELY. So we converted her to single speed, and my teammate Keanan helped get her back to her car. We lost a ton of time to that. But it also meant that I was the sole sweep guy left, so I had to stick it out for the entire length as the man in the back. We had 4-5 people that were incapable of riding their gravel bike on dirt, and would literally walk every single dirt section. One guy from Staten Island was on a 26" hardtail and said he hadn't been riding for 3 years and decided to come out that day. Ugh, like, why the F would you think that it's a good idea to blindly sign up for a 55 mile ride when you know you cannot do it?

I was so :rage: at the whole thing. 6 hours, 9 MPH average, cold as fuck at the end because while it got up to the 40s, it dipped back to mid 30s by 2 PM and we were still out riding.

Felt good to be on the bike. But man that ride should have been invite-only. Killer route. I'd take some of you bois on it if you'd like to get roasted.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:50 pm https://www.strava.com/activities/2869844152/

IDK if you guys can see that. But that's what I did on Saturday. 55 mile ride on the gravel bike. This was an event that my team hosted. As such, we had one leader, and two sweep guys. One of which being me. One rider had a severe mechanical issue where her derailleur SHEARED THE FUCK OFF THE BIKE COMPLETELY. So we converted her to single speed, and my teammate Keanan helped get her back to her car. We lost a ton of time to that. But it also meant that I was the sole sweep guy left, so I had to stick it out for the entire length as the man in the back. We had 4-5 people that were incapable of riding their gravel bike on dirt, and would literally walk every single dirt section. One guy from Staten Island was on a 26" hardtail and said he hadn't been riding for 3 years and decided to come out that day. Ugh, like, why the F would you think that it's a good idea to blindly sign up for a 55 mile ride when you know you cannot do it?

I was so :rage: at the whole thing. 6 hours, 9 MPH average, cold as fuck at the end because while it got up to the 40s, it dipped back to mid 30s by 2 PM and we were still out riding.

Felt good to be on the bike. But man that ride should have been invite-only. Killer route. I'd take some of you bois on it if you'd like to get roasted.
Man, I wanna get out and do these rides so bad.

Fucking Saturdays, man. :flaccid:
I wasn't pushing it on you because of the saturday thing but this also had a lot of MTB style single track. I mean I don't mind riding over logs and drop offs on my macho man but I know everyone's opinion of acceptable terrain differs, and you voiced opposition to that before so :iono:

I could mod this route to avoid some of the more stupid sections. The stuff in Gladwyne is hard because there aren't many alternate routes through it. But basically I can tailor a route for whatever level of dumb we want for quite a range of distances.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:06 pm

I wasn't pushing it on you because of the saturday thing but this also had a lot of MTB style single track. I mean I don't mind riding over logs and drop offs on my macho man but I know everyone's opinion of acceptable terrain differs, and you voiced opposition to that before so :iono:

I could mod this route to avoid some of the more stupid sections. The stuff in Gladwyne is hard because there aren't many alternate routes through it. But basically I can tailor a route for whatever level of dumb we want for quite a range of distances.
I'm more into gravel and singletrack that's not over logs or big rocks.

If it's aggro stuff, I'd rather ride it on the MTB. Can I do it on the Sacklist? Sure... but it ain't fun. The geo is pretty aggressive for a gravel bike, which means rougher singletrack is a bit... uncomfortable.
Got it. We had a handful of people on Specialized Diverge style bikes bow out in Gladwyne. The people with 700 x 40c+ or 650b knobbies stuck it out for the full length. Still some hike-a-bike though. I think maybe crossbow and the CX trails in Belmont are where the line starts to get drawn between MTB and CX.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:38 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:43 pm

Got it. We had a handful of people on Specialized Diverge style bikes bow out in Gladwyne. The people with 700 x 40c+ or 650b knobbies stuck it out for the full length. Still some hike-a-bike though. I think maybe crossbow and the CX trails in Belmont are where the line starts to get drawn between MTB and CX.
Yeah, 650B gravel is the setup for the gnar.
My next gravel jawn will be 650/700 dual compatible.
Johnny_P

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tranc ... -29-2-2020

Giant upping their paint game.

That seems like a somewhat decent deal for $4500. Man bikes got expensive though. That only gets you Sram NX as far as drivetrain is concerned, but you get carbon wheels and a nice Fox34 GRIP. Aluminum one with a Marzocchi Bomber (YO!) fork and Sram SX and aluminum shit wheels is $2100 so that's probably the best one to get. Sharp looking. Needs chrome stickers on the Bomber.

Giant seems to be abandoning the 27.5 platform. They're down to only 1 aluminum and 2 carbon 27.5 Trances.
Apex

That copper looks awesome! Bikes are expensive, cars are expensive, life is expensive. Gotta pay to play.

:troywax: YOLO :wasteful: Carpe Diem.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:39 am That copper looks awesome! Bikes are expensive, cars are expensive, life is expensive. Gotta pay to play.

Yeah.
What was that shop you went to for your bike? Halters? They have stuff?
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:57 am
Apex wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:39 am That copper looks awesome! Bikes are expensive, cars are expensive, life is expensive. Gotta pay to play.

Yeah.
Yeah man, Halters. They carry Pivot now too.
Usually have a bunch of stuff in different sizes to try out.
Bonus: they have shop pitties.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:23 pm

Yeah.
Shop :tits: ties? :notbad:
Johnny_P

New Remedys get the old Slash paint schemes

:neat:
Johnny_P

Yeah.
Shop dogs are ridiculous
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Shop dogs are ridiculous

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:02 am https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tranc ... -29-2-2020

That seems like a somewhat decent deal for $4500. Man bikes got expensive though. That only gets you Sram NX as far as drivetrain is concerned, but you get carbon wheels and a nice Fox34 GRIP. Aluminum one with a Marzocchi Bomber (YO!) fork and Sram SX and aluminum shit wheels is $2100 so that's probably the best one to get. Sharp looking. Needs chrome stickers on the Bomber.

Giant seems to be abandoning the 27.5 platform. They're down to only 1 aluminum and 2 carbon 27.5 Trances.
They did this with the Liv equivalent too. The 2020 intrigue advanced in the same level as wifey’s went up a few hundred bucks, but dropped down in drivetrain and suspension in favor of carbon hoops.

I think they’ve done this to flush their inventory of 27.5 carbon rims while launching hard into 29ers. Giant were one of the few that really pushed 27.5 but now the aggro gravity/dh bikes are going 29er it seems they’re going back in that direction.

There’s a 29er Reign enduro bike now, and the Glory DH bike has been off the market since the 18 model year. My dealer contact said expect a 29er DH rig late 2020.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:02 am https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tranc ... -29-2-2020

They did this with the Liv equivalent too. The 2020 intrigue advanced in the same level as wifey’s went up a few hundred bucks, but dropped down in drivetrain and suspension in favor of carbon hoops.

I think they’ve done this to flush their inventory of 27.5 carbon rims while launching hard into 29ers. Giant were one of the few that really pushed 27.5 but now the aggro gravity/dh bikes are going 29er it seems they’re going back in that direction.

There’s a 29er Reign enduro bike now, and the Glory DH bike has been off the market since the 18 model year. My dealer contact said expect a 29er DH rig late 2020.
The swings are interesting for sure. But the lower spec drivetrains and forks with carbon wheels is proliferating through their 29er stuff too. I think it’s just that carbon manufacturing for them really doesn’t cost much. So cost to produce a cf wheelset is lowish vs buying a GX eagle drivetrain from Sram to resell. So they instead cheap out on that part and justify it because of the wheels, their profits go up because their cost to produce effectively went down.
Johnny_P

30 whatever mile ride on the Macho Man tonight. Broke out the triple beam Gloworm light for it. I fucking love this bike so much.

Road to John Heinz
Gravel and trails in Heinz
Road and path to Cobbs Creek
MTB singletrack and gravel in Cobbs
Crossed a muddy as f golf course
Singletrack in Morris Park
Road and path home with a quick rip on some hidden singletrack at the art museum.

Half of it in the dark.

:wub: